Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike D'antoni = Back to Back seasons with 50+ losses

Hybrid View

Default Mike D'antoni = Back to Back seasons with 50+ losses

I don't mean to start another anti-D'antoni thread but wasn't this guy suppose to be a hall of fame coach (according to some) that would turn the Knicks into a competitive basketball team? Isn't he the guy with the wonderful Phoenix Suns resume? Or does he only know how to coach superstar players? If he is one of the best coaches in the league, why is he about to lose 100 games in his first 2 seasons with the Knicks? I know the Knicks have a roster that is made up of horrible players but Mike D'antoni has not been an improvement over Isiah Thomas.He is proving every game how he is a one trick pony.Unless his SSOL system is in effect, he looks just as bad as Roy Rubin did in the early 70's.I always knew it was a big mistake when Walsh decided to hire him rather than a defensive minded coach.If he was only hired by the Knicks to entice superstar players to sign with them then that is just as nonsensical as hiring a person because of their outward splendor.I am getting sick and tired of watching the Knicks lose games while waiting for this 2010 dream to come true.I've had so much hope for the Knicks before the season started and now I am just overly frustrated at the job that their coach is doing right now.

I said it once, I'll say it again.

You can't entirely blame it on the coach.

It's the lack of talent we have as well.

Phil Jackson won't get 50 Wins with this squad.
    Gregg Popovich won't get 50 Wins with this squad.
    Red Holzman won't get 50 Wins with this squad.

And so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by StreetDreams21

And so on and so forth.
    I've seen coaches do better with a lot less talent.Like I said before, if the reason behind D'antoni being hired was to make the Knicks appealing to superstar free agents then that is a dumb reason to hire a coach.The Knicks have basketball games to win and fans to please, they shouldn't be wasting their time basing all of their moves on a pipe dream that might not come true.And to compare Mike D'antoni (when he couldn't win a championship while he was in Phoenix) to coaches that won championships with superstar players seems a bit absurd.

Ha and the more players that fall out with D'Antoni don't help our cause for bringing in top free agents, people may sense something isn't so great...

Correction on my last post though, as I read in another thread that someone very aptly noticed Hughes wasn't on the bench in 2nd half, obviously D'Antoni couldn't have asked him to do anything

Superstar

I'll say it before and I'll say its again.

Doc Rivers 49 loses in 06, 58 losses in 07.

KG, Ray Allen comes through 66 wins plus a championship.

Look Mike did some questionable things this year. I dont know if he can lead a team to a championship, but he can get you to the conference finals.

Once we get talent and reach the conference finals and we fail, then we can consider axing Mike.

For right now, Lets keep a him.

Originally Posted by Blumatic
    I'll say it before and I'll say its again.

Doc Rivers 49 loses in 06, 58 losses in 07.

KG, Ray Allen comes through 66 wins plus a championship.

Look Mike did some questionable things this year. I dont know if he can lead a team to a championship, but he can get you to the conference finals.

Once we get talent and reach the conference finals and we fail, then we can consider axing Mike.

For right now, Lets keep a him.
    Has it ever occured to you that the coach you used in your example tells his players to play defense while the Knicks' coach doesn't? And to think that the Knicks will automatically get superstar players in the 2010 free agency is not very reasonable.What if the Knicks don't get anybody this off season and Mike D'antoni continues to stink? Are you going to continue being his advocate?

Superstar

You're missing my point.

Remember Larry Brown. Defensive coach. Did you know one of the reason why he was fired. Dolan and Isiah were insulted when Larry wanted this team gutted.

Larry went to the Bobcats gutted that team now their in the playoff hunt...not even a decade old.

Im not and advocate for Mike. But Im not for pointless transactions. I wasnt high on Mike coming here but he was the best coach available and Isiah had to leave.

Who says anything about 2010. Im saying bottomline in any freakin year you need talent. It would help to have taller players. We a short upfront.

I dont remember the Suns not making the playoffs when Mike left.

I believe that 60 to 70% of coaches in the NBA are good coaches. 30% of that group are great.

100% of that group would fail with this team. I'm telling you this team is really really bad man. I see a glimmer hope in some players but the players that we depend on are horrible.

The Knicks will do something this summer. Might not be what we want but this team will improve.

Matter fact if all the trades go through and we get Tmac, Tyrus, Cardinal, and House we're already a better team, and that group I mentioned is not that good either, thats how bad we are now.

Its a players league.

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    I've seen coaches do better with a lot less talent.Like I said before, if the reason behind D'antoni being hired was to make the Knicks appealing to superstar free agents then that is a dumb reason to hire a coach.The Knicks have basketball games to win and fans to please, they shouldn't be wasting their time basing all of their moves on a pipe dream that might not come true.And to compare Mike D'antoni (when he couldn't win a championship while he was in Phoenix) to coaches that won championships with superstar players seems a bit absurd.
    Please name some examples with regards to the bolded proclamation.

Also, how many games would you expect a good coach to win with this current group of players???????? The Knicks have a record and I honestly think that is a very fair reflection of the current talent on their roster. I really don't understand all of the hate for D'antoni on this message board.

Veteran

And so on and so forth.
    true..true... but would any of the above have more then 25 or 30, which appears tobe the numbers this year??

Veteran

'no D' antoni ..suxs...

This thread is retarted

Default But not born that way

Originally Posted by Giants89FLY
    This thread is retarted
    Eh, most eventually break down, but at least I learned a few things.
    (For example, Darko still equals cash-money... in this case, actual cash-money.)

And that the Knicks won't be fixed until 2012 when they might actually have two draft picks and no Curry. (How the heck did a trade in 2004 affect the 2010 draft?!)

Originally Posted by Giants89FLY
    This thread is retarted
    Could you explain to me why you've decided to give us your wonderful opinion without backing it up with anything?

Avon, Colorado, deep in the Rockies, played ball in St. Louis

Default 50 wins? 50 big "L's" that were not necessary

And so on and so forth.
    We don't need 50 wins, but you could have gotten 10-12 more wins which would have put you in the playoffs. A quote from November of this season
    Chris Duhon: Duhon is the Starter
    "" Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said Duhon's starting job is safe for now, despite some anemic play recently, the New York Daily News reports.
    Analysis: Duhon has made just 17 of his 72 field-goal attempts this season, after throwing up a goose egg in Wednesday's loss to Atlanta. "Duhon's my point guard," D'Antoni said after Thursday's practice. "He's in a funk and we've got to get him out of it. He'll get out of it. I'm not shedding or throwing people overboard. I'm hanging in there and seeing what we can do." The reality is that Duhon is the best point guard on the team at this point in time. Certainly better than Toney Douglas and Nate Robinson""

Nope, Robinson, Douglas and be far Hughes would have given you better numbers that Duhon. It was not only Nov, but then Dec, then Jan, then just about all of Feb (Duhon scored 24 I believe, but that's for the month).
    A starting point guard and I am not blaming Duhon, he didn't make the call to be on the court over 35 minutes until the trade deadline day.

Remember, Hughes pulled the Knicks out of their worst starts in history.
    Hughes when starting in December gave the Knicks almost their best December ever.
    Hughes was in the top three while starting in the NBA in steals (he still has speed to cover the passing lanes)
    Hughes played point and took Cleveland to the Eastern Conference Champs and finals who lost to San Antonio.
    Passed by every team in East with amazing point guard play (though not his natural position).

So remember, it was D'Antoni defending DUHON in November and only when we got a broken down T-Mac, with one knee, did he ever, evee, mss a start.

The coach has favorites and riffs with players, so that is what came out of New York this year. What it means next year, some players like Lebron (close friends with HUGHES), will never play for him. Plus Robinson , Jeffries, Curry and Marbury are all putting the coach is wacked in the press.

Going into year number three, the weight ****s, more and more to the coach. Jordan Hill draft, total waste.

I'm right there with ya, been absolutely disgraceful, I really think I could do better. He doesn't even seem to think about matchups, can't come up with anything decent out of timeouts, too many things to list. Gallo and Duhon seem to always get a free pass while other players struggle and get buried. Where's the consistency? I also think Gallo is going to wind up a huge bust if he doesn't get better coaching cuz chucking bad 3s seems to be ok now so his game isn't developing as it should IMO. Also needs to swallow his pride and play players on a need basis. Rose keep abusing us, getting switches to Gallo and killing him. Gallo can't stick with him and Duhon didn't fight over screens to avoid the switch. Walk that half mile down the bench to where you buried Hughes and say "Larry, I know we hate each other and I bench you, but I need 2 minutes of good defense on Rose right now". To me it doesn't really even seem like he does any coaching. And I still watch every game... FML