Official 2010 Free Agency Thread

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
-- with the trade deadlines a few hours away, and our team continuing to sink down the east - not to mention our draft pick going to Utah( **** you Isiah ) this means the next date that means anything to us is July; right when free agency hits and we'll have alot of cap space to sin players, and well no doubt be major players in the summer, and were poised to enter to 2010-11 season with a completely remade team- at least i would hope so

so here it is the official free agency list of players, input your opinions scenarios and opinions here all leading up to training camp 2010 :peace:

stars whose contracts expire following the 2009-2010 season and will then become honest-to-goodness free agents:

Joe Johnson
Ray Allen
Manu Ginobili
Marcus Camby
Tracey McGrady
Shaquille O'Neal
Brad Miller
Stephen Jackson
Jermaine O'Neal
Mike Miller
Rip Hamilton

The next grouping is those players that are signed thru 2011, but can opt out in 2010 if they so choose:

Yao Ming (owed 17.7 million in 10/11)
Amare Stoudamire (owed 17.7 million in 10/11)
LeBron James (owed 17.2 million in 10/11)
Dwayne Wade (owed 17.0 million in 10/11)
Chris Bosh (owed 17.1 million in 10/11)
Dirk Nowitzki (owed $21.5 million in 10/11)
Josh Howard (owed $11.8 million in 10/11)
Mike Redd (owed $18.3 million in 10/11)
Tyson Chandler (owed $12.8 million in 10/11)

This next list consists of contracts that are set to expire in 2010, but the player may choose to opt-out following the 2008-2009 season:

Steve Nash (owed $13.1 million in 09-10)
Carlos Boozer (owed $12.7 million in 09-10)
Chris Paul (owed $6 million in 09-10 / almost certain to sign an extension before becoming unrestricted)
Memo Okur (owed $9.0 million in 09-10)
Hedo Turkoglu (owed $7.4 million in 09-10)

**not updated

'second-tier' players are set to hit the open market as well:

Ben Wallace
Larry Hughes
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
Anderson Varejao (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
Al Harrington
Darko Milicic
Udonis Haslem
Jamal Crawford (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
Eddy Curry (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
Amir Johnson
Derek Fisher
Raja Bell
T.J. Ford (player option - owed $8.5 million in 10/11)
Travis Outlaw
Bruce Bowen
Earl Watson
Luke Ridnour
Matt Harpring
Quentin Richardson
Damien Wilkins

2006 Draft Class. These players will all be restricted free-agents in 2010, if they haven't already been inked to extensions:

Brandon Roy
Rudy Gay
LaMarcus Aldridge
Andrea Bargnani
Rajon Rondo
Tyrus Thomas
Kyle Lowry
Randy Foye
Marcus Williams
Josh Boone
Renaldo Balkman
Sergio Rodriguez
Ronnie Brewer

so there it is basically the complete list of players who will be restricted or unrestricted free agents this off season

my personal plan would be sign a top flight player and then build around them with another star and then complete the starting rotation, for example sign Amar'e get joe johnson and resign Lee and sign T.J to the mle

so we'll have

Ford
Johnson
Gallinari
Lee
Amar'e

6th man: Chandler, rest of rotation would be Douglas,

another direction if we could lure Gay from the grizz, we get him sign Tyson Chandler, and sign a point guard that way our team remains young, and dangerous at the same time we'll have expendable cap to add players whenever we choose

your opinions?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
with the addition of Tmac it now adds a new dimension to our offseason plans, Tmac if he plays well and shows good conditioning he could resign with us as a 3rd option and would add another dimension to our team, and he can help us recruit players in the offseason

another interesting addition is Sergio Rodriguez hes young and is quietly improving and could develop into a great starter for us in the future so we now dont have to chase a PG in the offseason we now have that in place

overall today was a great day for us knick fans, and just adds to the precedent of whats to come in the offseason

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
PG: Sergio Rodriguez
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: Chris Bosh

Wilson Chandler
Toney Douglas
Jonathan Bender

dave2138

Rotation player
PG: Sergio Rodriguez
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: Chris Bosh

Wilson Chandler
Toney Douglas
Jonathan Bender

How is this possible?

Johnson - 16
Bosh - 16
Lee - 12
Curry - 11
Gallinari - 3
Rodriguez - 3
Chandler - 2
Douglas - 1

Total = 64 mil

The cap will probably be in the 55-57 mil range...The Knicks can't sign 2 max contracts + Lee. There is no way Lee takes that big a discount.

smokes

Huge Member
Well surely the aim has to be Lebron no matter what. Might not be realistic but I'd say it's about 50/50 to whether he will stay or go in July.

I wouldn't want to go for Amare or Bosh as the "main star" as neither of them play particularly good defense and they are gonna be filling up the C spot.

If we can't get Lebron I'd rather go for Wade/Johnson/Gay and then add Camby and a PG like Ford or Ridnour. Then at least you have the classic situation of a solid PG, allstar SG, good slasher in Will the Thrill, good range with Gallo and good interior defense from Camby.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
How is this possible?

Johnson - 16
Bosh - 16
Lee - 12
Curry - 11
Gallinari - 3
Rodriguez - 3
Chandler - 2
Douglas - 1

Total = 64 mil

The cap will probably be in the 55-57 mil range...The Knicks can't sign 2 max contracts + Lee. There is no way Lee takes that big a discount.
Hoping that the NBA FA market is toned down a bit. I mean look at MLB free agency the last few years the cost of FAs has dropped. Plus I don't see Joe Johnson as a max contract imho.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Whoops didnt see this thread......

Here are my thoughts:

I think we have to look back to 3 years ago. One of the biggest player transaction occurred when Kevin Garnett was traded to Boston.

We know it was a trade not a signing and it did help that both GMs of the Celtics and T'wolves were Celtic teammates in the 80's. But understand this...that trade was KG's call to make. It would not have happened without KGs approval.

Before Draft Night 2007 the Celtics attempted to trade for Garnett. Garnett rejected, and for good reason. He wanted to leave a losing situation and why would he go to a team that only won 24 games while losing 18 games in a row during that season. On Draft Night 2007, the Celtics acquired Ray Allen from the Sonics (now the Thunder) via trade. Two months later KG agreed to the deal to go to Boston. That season Celtics won a championship.

It is safe to say that the only bona fide max contract players this free agency is Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. (You can make a case for Bosh but eh.) It is well known that they will not move to a new team alone. Therefore don't expect them to be the first in line to sign with the Knicks or any other team. The Knicks need a bona fide number 1a or 2 man.

KG's decision to go to the Celtics was mainly influenced by Ray Allen's move to Boston. With Ray Allen and Paul Pierce already there KG could not pass up the opportunity. Ray Allen was a bona fide 1a or 2 man. Paul Pierce was the same.

In my opinion the second tier of players would be Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and Amar'e Stoudamire. One of those players must be secured first but they cannot be offered max contract with maybe the exception of Bosh. It is of my opinion that with Lebron and Wade in the market it will regulate how teams spend their money on other players, basically keep their prices at the true value.

The top teams in competition this summer are Knicks, Heat, and Bulls (The Newark Nets, yea right). The Knicks are in a serious disadvantage player wise. Though we can sign 2 stars, the Bulls and Heat already have one star in place. The Knicks will go to Lebron and Wade first, but we all know they wont budge unless the Knicks make a move to get a 1a/2 man.

I believe Lebron or Wade won't sign with any team until late July or early to mid August. So the Knicks have until then to get one of those guys a running mate.

I do not believe Wade and LBJ can coexist together. Their games are too similar.

There are many options out there I think it will be an interesting summer.

Thoughts...........................

BRKA

Rookie
Whoops didnt see this thread......

Here are my thoughts:

I think we have to look back to 3 years ago. One of the biggest player transaction occurred when Kevin Garnett was traded to Boston.

We know it was a trade not a signing and it did help that both GMs of the Celtics and T'wolves were Celtic teammates in the 80's. But understand this...that trade was KG's call to make. It would not have happened without KGs approval.

Before Draft Night 2007 the Celtics attempted to trade for Garnett. Garnett rejected, and for good reason. He wanted to leave a losing situation and why would he go to a team that only won 24 games while losing 18 games in a row during that season. On Draft Night 2007, the Celtics acquired Ray Allen from the Sonics (now the Thunder) via trade. Two months later KG agreed to the deal to go to Boston. That season Celtics won a championship.

It is safe to say that the only bona fide max contract players this free agency is Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. (You can make a case for Bosh but eh.) It is well known that they will not move to a new team alone. Therefore don't expect them to be the first in line to sign with the Knicks or any other team. The Knicks need a bona fide number 1a or 2 man.

KG's decision to go to the Celtics was mainly influenced by Ray Allen's move to Boston. With Ray Allen and Paul Pierce already there KG could not pass up the opportunity. Ray Allen was a bona fide 1a or 2 man. Paul Pierce was the same.

In my opinion the second tier of players would be Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and Amar'e Stoudamire. One of those players must be secured first but they cannot be offered max contract with maybe the exception of Bosh. It is of my opinion that with Lebron and Wade in the market it will regulate how teams spend their money on other players, basically keep their prices at the true value.

The top teams in competition this summer are Knicks, Heat, and Bulls (The Newark Nets, yea right). The Knicks are in a serious disadvantage player wise. Though we can sign 2 stars, the Bulls and Heat already have one star in place. The Knicks will go to Lebron and Wade first, but we all know they wont budge unless the Knicks make a move to get a 1a/2 man.

I believe Lebron or Wade won't sign with any team until late July or early to mid August. So the Knicks have until then to get one of those guys a running mate.

I do not believe Wade and LBJ can coexist together. Their games are too similar.

There are many options out there I think it will be an interesting summer.

Thoughts...........................

im assuming you worte this before the tmac trade..now im not sayin hes gonna come in and ball but lets say he does this wouldnt make him a 1a or 2 man?

we all have to understand that we are playing against only a handful of teams in the FA market. With the constrictions of fiscally poor status quo for most franchises I cant imagine the knicks having any more of an advantageous approach towards summer 2010.

as of right now the cards are in our hands, we have the best market, the best cap space, and the most media coverage in terms of potential upheavals.

I can firmly say that any FA would be a fool to not want to sign with us at this particular moment in time.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^^ I seriously doubt it would. His game has been worth the MLE since his second year in Houston with the occasional flash of superstar form. He's still good but considering the point made - sign an enticing team mate to convince a real star to sign here - McGrady will not fit that bill.

Prove me wrong McGrady!

p0nder

Starter
i hope he does crazy8's. He's been pretty pissed off with not playing and he's been working out a LOT in order to get himself into a starting lineup. I have high hopes for him mostly because it would be a feel good story for tracy and knicks fans.

Plus he'd be likely to sign with NY for comparatively low cost and help us bring in lebron/bosh. I've been leaving dwade out of my projections because he has been very adamant about staying in miami. The Heat pose the biggest threat to us signing lebron as lebron and wade are good friends. I think Bosh is worth every penny of a max contract as I watch the raptors and realize that without bosh, they really suck. With bosh they are a .500 or better club sitting in probably 5th position in the east. With litterally nothing but Bosh.

The hope i have is that the Heat sign amare and the knicks sign lebron and bosh. Setting up an East finals match up we'll see for years to come, renewing the Heat/Knicks Rivalry.

That's just how I see it going down in my dreams :D

ANU

Starter
still boggles my mind that ronnie ****ing brewer got dealt for a first, meanwhile, we got nothing for lee.this front office is really overrating the shit out of lee.if we end up with lee and gay no one should go to the damn games.

NYKing

Rookie
1? Sign Lebron
2? Trade with...
GSW (E.Curry + Chandler for Biedrins + S.Curry) or
NOH (E.Curry + Chandler for Okafor + Collison)
3? Sign Bosh

PG- S.Curry (2,9)
SG- Lebron (16,5)
SF- Gallo (3,3)
PF- Bosh (16,5)
C - Biedrins (9)
6man - T-Mac (2, m.vetaran)

CAP= 50m (remaining 3m for four players (T.Douglas or S.Rodriguez for example) + two 2?rounders 2010)

Blumatic

Rotation player
im assuming you worte this before the tmac trade..now im not sayin hes gonna come in and ball but lets say he does this wouldnt make him a 1a or 2 man?

I never considered McGrady in this post. He would be a bonus if he is 60% the player he once was.

ANU

Starter
1? Sign Lebron
2? Trade with...
GSW (E.Curry + Chandler for Biedrins + S.Curry) or
NOH (E.Curry + Chandler for Okafor + Collison)
3? Sign Bosh

PG- S.Curry (2,9)
SG- Lebron (16,5)
SF- Gallo (3,3)
PF- Bosh (16,5)
C - Biedrins (9)
6man - T-Mac (2, m.vetaran)

CAP= 50m (remaining 3m for four players (T.Douglas or S.Rodriguez for example) + two 2?rounders 2010)
no way could we land steph curry.don nelson loves that kid.i do like beidrins as a five here.

if the warriors are looking to move biedrins and maggette which they are, i'd move gallinari, curry's expring, and chandler for them, but of course, they'd have to give up that pick too.:teeth:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
theres alot of ways we can take free agency i wanna keep D.Lee but its probably going to have to be either him or Tmac who go this offseason if we can get 2 superstars, cause there just wouldnt be enough spots in th lineup for them...J.J seems to be my pick at SG and Gallo at the 3 Lee at the 4 and Bosh at the 5 maybe

i wanna give Rodriquez a shot at starting for us as i see potential in him, he finally gets his chance to prove himself and i think he'll be good