The Official Sergio Rodriguez Thread

Paul1355

All Star
His highlights from yesterday:

He could have ended up with 12 assists if Harrington had hit some wide shots...

Sergio had some really nice passes in this game....i agree with posters who said that if Harrington just made a few of the wide open shots he bircked, then sergio would ahve had like 10 assists in this game.

Sergio is under rated....thousand times better than Duhon and better than Douglas.

Sergio is a prefect type of PG for this team....fast, keeps a high tempo offense running through him, good court vision, and better offensive awareness than Duhon.

I can see Sergio starting soon.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
If Chandler can impress Minny enough, hopefully we could pull off some trade for Rubio centered around him. Then have Rubio starting and Spanish Chocolate on the bench. I know I said that before, but how sick would that be?

But for now, S-Rod is so much DuDonkey that it's not even funny. Hopefully DuDonkey is done for good. S-Rod has waited a while to get this oppurtunity, and he sure as hell looked good yesterday. His defense is a major liability, but then again so is everyone on this roster lol. Hopefully Tuner is right and he is starting tomorrow. DuDonkey no more! Save us from atrocious point guard play Sergio! And hopefully one day you'll be backing up Rubio in a Knicks uni.

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
Rubio won't come until 2011/2012 at earliest, and I guess till then Minny won't give up his rights for anything at least until they know he is coming for sure. Specially when he is getting better and better with Barcelona. (BTW they won the Kings' Cup against Real Madrid a few hours ago, here you have the game in streaming if you want to see it: http://acb360.orange.es/diferidos/CREY/74/7)

I don't think Rubio is a lot better than Sergio, Sergio has been always underrated. Rubio will rock in the NBA, but I don't think by 2011/2012 he'd should start over Sergio if Sergio develops enough during this time. Not because I think Sergio is going to improve to a better player than him (he isn't) but because coming from FIBA to NBA needs adaptation, not only for the rules change but specially the schedule. There's almost the double of games in the NBA than FIBA, so he'll hit the rookie wall whenever he starts playing.

If Chandler can impress Minny enough, hopefully we could pull off some trade for Rubio centered around him. Then have Rubio starting and Spanish Chocolate on the bench. I know I said that before, but how sick would that be?

But for now, S-Rod is so much DuDonkey that it's not even funny. Hopefully DuDonkey is done for good. S-Rod has waited a while to get this oppurtunity, and he sure as hell looked good yesterday. His defense is a major liability, but then again so is everyone on this roster lol. Hopefully Tuner is right and he is starting tomorrow. DuDonkey no more! Save us from atrocious point guard play Sergio! And hopefully one day you'll be backing up Rubio in a Knicks uni.

Btw, Ricky took today the first real title with Barca, the Spanish cup. He played really great today and yesterday at the semi-final.
It's his second one, as he won one with Joventut Badalona, together with Rudy.

Thinking about that... Rudy should be at the Knicks too. He is so much better than he show at the Blazers!

Last edited:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Rubio won't come until 2011/2012 at earliest, and I guess till then Minny won't give up his rights for anything at least until they know he is coming for sure. Specially when he is getting better and better with Barcelona. (BTW they won the Kings' Cup against Real Madrid a few hours ago, here you have the game in streaming if you want to see it: http://acb360.orange.es/diferidos/CREY/74/7)

I don't think Rubio is a lot better than Sergio, Sergio has been always underrated. Rubio will rock in the NBA, but I don't think by 2011/2012 he'd should start over Sergio if Sergio develops enough during this time. Not because I think Sergio is going to improve to a better player than him (he isn't) but because coming from FIBA to NBA needs adaptation, not only for the rules change but specially the schedule. There's almost the double of games in the NBA than FIBA, so he'll hit the rookie wall whenever he starts playing.

You probably watch more Spanish bball than me, but from what I've seen of Rubio is stardom. I see star in every facet of his game but his defense. I think in his rookie year he could average 15 and 10 in this offense. That's how good I think he is. Idk if Spanish chocolate can do that, I hope he can, I just havent seen enough of him to make a bold statement like that.

LeFlume

All Star
I don't believe in Rubios game. NBA is much faster and the players are much more athletic than in Europe. His flashy style and no look passes won't work in the NBA. Besides, we need a proven PG. Not a Euro rookie.

metrocard

Legend
I don't believe in Rubios game. NBA is much faster and the players are much more athletic than in Europe. His flashy style and no look passes won't work in the NBA. Besides, we need a proven PG. Not a Euro rookie.

1. You don't know what you're talking about.
2. Rubio's game is as rugged as it is flashy. Rubio is a defensive player of the year and he got that accolade before he was 20.
3. Rubio isn't slow, he's agile and can move very good. Nate is athletic and he sucks.
4. Rubio is the most proven, or one of the most proven players in the world. Do you research on him and report back to me, so you know what I'm talking about. Rubio is no rookie, he's a PROFESSIONAL.

I don't even like Ricky a lot anymore, he fell off and rub off bad in my taste...but you're just talking straight up nonsense right now.

LeFlume

All Star
So I guess Ricky Rubio won't play in the Rookie-Sophomore game then. The only player in the history of the sport that comes into the league and have "No Rookie" status. I still don't believe he is all that you guys make him out to be. I have doubts about his game. NBA is not Euroleague.

johnstarky

Rotation player
If Steve Nash started out as an average back up PG and ended up becoming a very good starting PG, why can't Rodriguez do the same? Mike D'antoni could end up turning this guy into an assist machine in his SSOL offense.

TheSkaBoss

Rookie
If Steve Nash started out as an average back up PG and ended up becoming a very good starting PG, why can't Rodriguez do the same? Mike D'antoni could end up turning this guy into an assist machine in his SSOL offense.
Good will listen :D . I do not know if Ricky Rubio is ready for the nba. last year did not think it was brandon jennings and watch that performance. the last year i can see a lot of games of BJ with Lottomatica Roma and this year... what a player!

TheSkaBoss

Rookie
NBA - Sergio: "This system is perfect for me"

Eurosport - Sun February 21 07:26:00 2010

The night was special, one of those great nights at Madison in New York. The arrival of Tracy McGrady, Eddie House and Sergio Rodriguez was not for nothing. The Spanish base debut with the Knicks finally recognizing pleased with his debut and happy with what lies ahead.
2009-2010 BASKETBALL NBA Sergio Rodriguez (New York Knicks) - 0
More news

* Calderon shines with the Raptors
* VIDEO: Good also fail
* DOUBLE FIGURES: The best basketball BLOG
* Discover our PLAYGROUND

New York eventually lost in overtime (118-121) before some Thunder in Oklahoma who once again acted Kevin Durant killer 'with 36 points and several crucial baskets. Sergio Rodriguez got his dream debut with the team from the Big Apple contributing 5 points, 3 rebounds and 6 assists. But beyond the numbers the player was on track canary almost 26 minutes in his debut (rather than the holder Chris Duhon) and above all, left a good feeling.

A circumstance extends to the whole team, which at times circulated the ball with ease and a sense unknown in recent weeks. With the presence of Tracy McGrady (26 points), Eddie House (24) and Sergio Rodriguez, one breathes a new air in New York and they thanked the audience at Madison with a standing ovation at the end of the match.

Sergio Rodriguez chatted a few minutes with our correspondent Gonzalo Vazquez.

Sergio, feelings after the debut.

Very pleased, really, really happy. The feelings of the team were quite good. Not only mine. Keep in mind that I am untrained and yet I'm satisfied. A penalty in the end we have been the party for failing to avoid a few crucial baskets of them, but overall has been pretty good. I guess that's the line to continue and from now to continue fighting.

Have you noticed anything of note entry you want to do?

What I noticed most is desire that we have just arrived. It's very noticeable that Tracy and Eddie have the same desire to please me, do it right from the start.

Your participation, "most of what you expected?

D'Antoni spoke to me yesterday and told me he was going to play and fairly. And to start is fine. At first I admit that I felt somewhat tense. More than nervous, tense. I was not sure if we wanted to run or not. But as the game has progressed I have become much more comfortable. I really liked playing either. And almost more than the system. This system is perfect for me. Me gusta mucho. I feel it suits me. But anyway, to see how the situation one week to another.

Since in this last quarter were more involved than ever, do not you have liked to finish it over? What House was over as a base ...

No, nothing happens. In fact I felt very comfortable at his side. I like to have a House with me. He is aggressive and does not hesitate. I like to have you here with me and we leave both the bench to provide energy. It's our style.

Have you been particularly comfortable with a colleague?

With everyone. In truth, the whole team, I feel very comfortable. The pity is that I have not given a lot of ball but Gallinari today I have not had many minutes with him. I want to play well for him and find more.

You're in New York, the public has turned you from the top How concludes your first night?

If we had won it would have been perfect. The truth is that the reception has been amazing I have had. Everyone has treated me wonderfully. I'm amazed. In Portland and Sacramento also was received very well, but not the reception I had here. The conversation with the coach and all shaped me. It's a dream come true. For me to play here in New York and with these players makes me feel incredibly satisfied. Hopefully I can win matches here and that everything goes well.

The reference to Sergio on the part of coach Mike D'Antoni and assistant Phil Webber and Dan D'Antoni was answered in conjunction with highly praised the Spanish player. "I understand that is good news for fans in Spain, Mike D'Antoni admitted." But it is even more to us. We hope Sergio opportunities, "he added.

The president of football operations for New York Knicks, Donnie Walsh, was still beyond the question of why the choice of player canary. "Sergio is a nice guy who knew Mike very well. His arrival here is no accident. It's the kind of player we want. With talent, commitment and desire. And this young man has much of all that."

Finally the wing holder, Wilson Chandler, a major offensive references team was very upbeat with the newcomer: "We will have so much fun with him. He has a style of play gay and valiant that we will come in handy . It seems also a good guy, a great teammate. We are happy with their arrival. "

TheSkaBoss

Rookie
NBA - Marc Gasol: "Sergio deserves it"

Sergio, what do you think?

Fantastic. I'm so glad, really. He deserves it. The hardest thing for a basketball player is not playing and I tell you that I knew what I was not enjoying minutes. I was lucky enough to see his debut against Oklahoma. I was about to be there at Madison but ultimately could not. I am very happy for him. Enjoy a little at last. In a system like that of D'Antoni if anyone can do really well is it

TheSkaBoss

Rookie
i don't know if the tranlation is well.. but think i if understand. the firt is a interwiew of eurosport.com to S-Rod and second eurosport.co to Marc Gasol.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think Sergio Rodriguez has the potential to be something special. He's not the greatest shooter but anybody's better than Duhon.

Sergio played 25 minutes in a system he barely knows against players he's never met and he managed to get six assists in only 25 minutes? How good is he going to be if he plays 36 minutes and he gets integrated into this offense? Duhon stuck around for a year and a half and he struggles to put up as good a statline as a player who just got to New York a day before his first game. That's just sad.

i don't know if the tranlation is well.. but think i if understand. the firt is a interwiew of eurosport.com to S-Rod and second eurosport.co to Marc Gasol.

Well, as I read a lot of translated from Spanish articles and blogs I know that party=game and some other kind of mistakes that happens at translation.

Just an tip for those who read translated stuff for the first time - if something seems to you not to make sense or something that the quoter person would never said, probably it's just a translation problem. Sometimes also words like me/he/they/it etc' chosen to be the wrong one.

And if you want to know Sergio a little bit more, he has a blog for the second year (last year it was one blog together with Rudy).
Here: http://www.marca.com/blogs/sergio-rodriguez/

He is very open there in very special way for well-known people, he reads all the comments and sometimes ever replay at the comments or at the next posts.

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
You probably watch more Spanish bball than me, but from what I've seen of Rubio is stardom. I see star in every facet of his game but his defense. I think in his rookie year he could average 15 and 10 in this offense. That's how good I think he is. Idk if Spanish chocolate can do that, I hope he can, I just havent seen enough of him to make a bold statement like that.

Well, if you take Sergio per 36 stats, these are almost his numbers (16.3 pt / 8.3 ast). Of course it's multipliying his real 13 minutes by 3, and he has to prove he can make it in real 36 mpg. But considering D'Antoni system is suited for him, I guess he can put up those numbers. Maybe less points and more assists, I think it'd be something like 11p/13ass. But let's see.

Rubio is better at ACB than Sergio was there, but not a lot better. Rubio debuted as a pro with 14 (which is amazing) and Sergio debuted with 17 (not incredible, but also pretty good). Rubio rocked with junior spanish nt categories, but he was almost the only talent of his generation. On the other side, Sergio also rocked with the junior NT but he was with a lot of talent around...So yes, Rubio has "star" written in his head, but considering his non-NBA careers, Sergio isn't as good but he's not so far away IMHO.

The problem with Sergio is he was buried during 3 years with McMillan, because he was in a system which is exactly the opposite to his game. If he had ended up in Phoenix with D'Antoni in his rookie year, he should have be given more PT in his rookie year, so he'd have gained a different status and he'd had flourished yet. I think if you take appart rookies of the year and top first rounders, who usually get their opportunities in their first year, on the rest of players' case I guess it's all on opportunities given by the coach, and having luck above all. I'm completely convinced that tf Steve Nash had aways had conservative and deffensive-minded coachs as McMillan he had never blossomed as he did.

Hopefuly Rubio has yet a status there and he won't be buried when he arrives as Sergio was, so he won't suffer the same sad history. Right now, I think Sergio's case it's being an example of what not to do, and that's why people as Llull or Rubio are staying more time in top FIBA teams gaining experience before jumping the Atlantic.

Last edited:

p0nder

Starter
Amazing first performance. As he develops and learns the players and system he's only going to get better. What a great find for a PG.

I was really worried about our guard situation going into the trade deadline but this is better then I could of hoped! I see him drive the lane and kick it out very well. He can also run an adequate pick and roll. His comments about wanting to find Gallo more make me really hopeful, as duhon flat out ignored him.

These trades make the Knicks relevant again and i think the player that will go a little under the radar is Sergio. He was a huge upgrade for us.