Free Agency: What happens this summer.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I think we have to look back to 3 years ago. One of the biggest player transaction occurred when Kevin Garnett was traded to Boston.

We know it was a trade not a signing and it did help that both GMs of the Celtics and T'wolves were Celtic teammates in the 80's. But understand this...that trade was KG's call to make. It would not have happened without KGs approval.

Before Draft Night 2007 the Celtics attempted to trade for Garnett. Garnett rejected, and for good reason. He wanted to leave a losing situation and why would he go to a team that only won 24 games while losing 18 games in a row during that season. On Draft Night 2007, the Celtics acquired Ray Allen from the Sonics (now the Thunder) via trade. Two months later KG agreed to the deal to go to Boston. That season Celtics won a championship.

It is safe to say that the only bona fide max contract players this free agency is Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. (You can make a case for Bosh but eh.) It is well known that they will not move to a new team alone. Therefore don't expect them to be the first in line to sign with the Knicks or any other team. The Knicks need a bona fide number 1a or 2 man.

KG's decision to go to the Celtics was mainly influenced by Ray Allen's move to Boston. With Ray Allen and Paul Pierce already there KG could not pass up the opportunity. Ray Allen was a bona fide 1a or 2 man. Paul Pierce was the same.

In my opinion the second tier of players would be Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and Amar'e Stoudamire. One of those players must be secured first but they cannot be offered max contract with maybe the exception of Bosh. It is of my opinion that with Lebron and Wade in the market it will regulate how teams spend their money on other players, basically keep their prices at the true value.

The top teams in competition this summer are Knicks, Heat, and Bulls (The Newark Nets, yea right). The Knicks are in a serious disadvantage player wise. Though we can sign 2 stars, the Bulls and Heat already have one star in place. The Knicks will go to Lebron and Wade first, but we all know they wont budge unless the Knicks make a move to get a 1a/2 man.

I believe Lebron or Wade won't sign with any team until late July or early to mid August. So the Knicks have until then to get one of those guys a running mate.

I do not believe Wade and LBJ can coexist together. Their games are too similar.

There are many options out there I think it will be an interesting summer.

Thoughts...........................