Deadline Trades....approve, disaprove, or unnecessary?

knicksin60

Starter
The truth is, that most Knick fans were getting tired of watching over paid players like Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph, Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Steve Francis, and Malik El-Shabazz, steal millions from the Knicks while contributing nothing on the court.I sure as hell wanted all of those guys off the Knick roster even when Isiah Thomas was still running things.I wasn't utilizing my pom poms or drinking the Knick kool aid when they started out the 2009-10 season 6-3.I still cannot figure out how people predicted the Knicks making the playoffs after 1/9 of that season had gone by.The Knicks weren't going anywhere with Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford.People act like those two were Kobe and Shaq, in their prime, while they were with the Knicks.

Had Walsh held on to their contracts and Jeffries's contract and not gone with the 2010 plan, the Knicks would have probably ended up waiting another 5 or 6 years to be a good baskeball team.Knick fans have suffered a long miserable decade of depressing and losing basketball.Five or six more years of the same garbage and Madison Square Garden would be left completely empty.Sometimes when you want to get something in life you have to be aggressive for it.Walsh right now is being very aggressive in order to have the chance of making the Knicks the best team in the NBA, something that the Knicks haven't been since Richard Nixon was president of the United States.

I understand that there will always be the nay sayers and the dissatisfied Knick fans who would look for anything to poke negativity into.But I don't see how anyone could rip the Knicks to pieces for doing something that they haven't been able to do in 14 years.This team needed to put themselves in the best position possible even if it required them taking a couple of steps back.Being content as a possible 8th seeded playoff team or waiting for a superstar draft pick to fall on their laps, weren't the best options for them in my opinion.Walsh has done the right thing so far and deserves a good grade for it.

skisloper

Starter
The first priority in the offseason and at the start of the season was getting Eddie Curry into playing game shape to record 24 minutes per game.
Promoting his low-post moves. Everything else is irrellevant

Starting off with a 1-9 start and Eddie Curry only getting 18 minutes in those 10 games.....speaks on the distance between Walsh & Dantoni not being on the same-page.
The Knicks were suposed to be "Show-Casing" Eddie Curry from the start of the season.
Coach Cartwright, Skiles, Larry Brown, and Isiah played Eddie Curry into shape at the start of their season.

Eddie Curry $11M contract was supposed to be traded this February deadline.
In Dantoni NBA career has he ever coached a center? Hell-No! ask Shaq

I cannot believe the constant complaining on this Knicks's sight.
Play Eddie Curry ???
Everytime he played he got injured....Do you watch the games ?
EDDIE does not play because he is injured....Now that D'Antonio's fault again..

we are for the first time in over 10 years positioned to build our team with real superstars.....Our house was fully mortaged and now we reversed this.....we are clean and now have money to rebuild our team....Stop complaining about the draft picks....Between Lee, Nate, Chandler, Frye, Hill and Balkman all 1st round picks not a single player is a game changer in this league......

LONG LIVE DONNIE..

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Wow, I really, really don't understand some people.
Not to insult, but do you have ANY business sense at all?
Ok let's look at the "facts"... First the NYK's HAVENT drafted an All-star in OVER 18 FIRST ROUND PICKS!
Second, you mention the "odds" of signing 1 or 2 FA's are low. To that I would say, what the hell are you talking about? There are only a hand full of teams that could. CHI, LAC, MIA, NJ maybe CHA and us! Further, ask yourself- had we no cap room, what would those odds be? Zero. Now what's better, 50/50 or 0?
Next, Walsh got greedy? It's called "greed" to rid a team that lost 100+ games in the last season, hasn't been out of the 1st round in years and clearly not where they should be, of contracts / players partly responsible for those results? Hello!
Finally, sincerely I ask (or say) are you familiar w/ the term "trying to have your cake and eat it too"?
How about "beggers can't be choosers"?
Or the term "Sacrafice"?
I mean this is a contradiction: on one hand fans say the players suck, then why are we getting rid of players? On one hand fans say Isiah made bad moves etc... but then refuse to accept the penalty and sacrafice needed to recover from such decisions.
To add... what would fans say had Walsh only gotten 1 Max (if so) FA and we still didn't make the

The Knicks should not have traded away their draft picks. There is no guarantee that any of the top free agents will sign with the Knicks.

Walsh could have signed one max free agent, without trading two first round draft picks and Jordan Hill.

The Nate Robinson trade was horrible. They traded him and didn't even get a first round pick.

You have a right to your opinion, but Walsh's trade with the Rockets is very similar to the one Isiah Thomas did with the Bulls to get Curry. Too many draft picks were given to Houston.

The statment you made about only a handful of teams being in the running for the top free agents is also flawed.

The Cavaliers, Atlanta Hawks, Toronto Raptors, and Miami Heat are all going to do their best to keep their All Stars.

dave2138

Rotation player
How was the Nate Robinson trade terrible? Pointless? ok, I'll agree...it would have saved a lot of time and energy to just bench Nate the rest of the year.

The Knicks got 9.5 mil to give the Rockets a player in Jordan Hill who they didn't want to play probably because they didn't want him to hurt his trade value. 50/50 chance the Rockets will be a lottery team next year so that switch doesn't really hurt us that much. 2012 pick is 2 years from now and if we are as bad as we are now and in the bottom 5 of the league..it will be protected anyway.

No reason anyone should complain about this...9.5 mil to spend this off season could be big.

skisloper

Starter
The Knicks should not have traded away their draft picks. There is no guarantee that any of the top free agents will sign with the Knicks.

Walsh could have signed one max free agent, without trading two first round draft picks and Jordan Hill.

The Nate Robinson trade was horrible. They traded him and didn't even get a first round pick.

You have a right to your opinion, but Walsh's trade with the Rockets is very similar to the one Isiah Thomas did with the Bulls to get Curry. Too many draft picks were given to Houston.

The statment you made about only a handful of teams being in the running for the top free agents is also flawed.

The Cavaliers, Atlanta Hawks, Toronto Raptors, and Miami Heat are all going to do their best to keep their All Stars.

How can you say this is like the Curry deal ? The Curry deal we got EDDIE CURRY.....Isiah did all he did to get EDDIE CURRY.....
Donnie did all he did to land to superstars......Do you think Donnie should not assume a superstar would not want to sign here ?
Just assume a star would not want to sign here....we now have alot of money to get players that can play ball .........
STOP WHINING about Nate....A 1st round draft pick for him ? Nobody offered him a contract when he was a restricted free agent...why do you think that is ?
Larry Brown and D'antonio both did not want him.

BTW the draft picks can be swapped...we still have picks.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
How can you say this is like the Curry deal ? The Curry deal we got EDDIE CURRY.....Isiah did all he did to get EDDIE CURRY.....
Donnie did all he did to land to superstars......Do you think Donnie should not assume a superstar would not want to sign here ?
Just assume a star would not want to sign here....we now have alot of money to get players that can play ball .........
STOP WHINING about Nate....A 1st round draft pick for him ? Nobody offered him a contract when he was a restricted free agent...why do you think that is ?
Larry Brown and D'antonio both did not want him.

BTW the draft picks can be swapped...we still have picks.

The reason why I say this trade is similar is because Isiah Thomas gave 2 first round draft picks for Curry, and Walsh gave two first round draft picks to the Rockets.

Stop whining about Nate? Robinson is a very good scorer. The Knicks should have gotten a first round pick.

Your statement about nobody wanting Robinson is untrue.

The only reason why nobody gave Lee or Robinson offers last year is because a lot of teams didn't have the cap space to pursue them, and the teams that did have the cap space are waiting until the 2010 free agency.

Walsh swapped the 2011 picks, but he also gave the 2012 pick without getting a pick in return.

dave2138

Rotation player
You really worried about the 2012 pick? That is 3 drafts from now and by that time Walsh should have completely rebuilt this team. That pick makes no difference. 9.5 mil > Jordan Hill + 2012 pick. 50/50 chance the 2011 pick is swapped and if it is they probably will only drop down a few picks.

skisloper

Starter
The reason why I say this trade is similar is because Isiah Thomas gave 2 first round draft picks for Curry, and Walsh gave two first round draft picks to the Rockets.

Stop whining about Nate? Robinson is a very good scorer. The Knicks should have gotten a first round pick.

Your statement about nobody wanting Robinson is untrue.

The only reason why nobody gave Lee or Robinson offers last year is because a lot of teams didn't have the cap space to pursue them, and the teams that did have the cap space are waiting until the 2010 free agency.

Walsh swapped the 2011 picks, but he also gave the 2012 pick without getting a pick in return.

You really do not get the difference ?
Isiah gave up 2 first round picks for Eddie Curry an unproved NBA player that nobody wanted especially with the heart issue. Both picks were NOT PROTECTED.
We gave Houston one pick in 2012 to get rid of close to 10 million in contracts. I am sure if Donnie wants he can take someone elses Crap Contract and get a 1st round pick for that.

You are 100% wrong about Nate. Not a single team in the NBA made him an offer when he was a restricted free agent. Nate potential is so limited. Why would someone give up a 1st round pick for him. There is much more potential for a 1st rounder to grow at a cost of 2 million a year then Nates 5 million he just earned.

Watch what happens to nate next year and Lets see if the celtics make him a real offer. When he does not receive that tell me what you think then....

Jeffries, Hill , Hughes and a 1st rounder in 2012
FOR
Mcgrady, Sergio and the ability to sign Bosh or Wade and entice Lebron...

Your right its similiar to Isiah and Curry....Oy Vey

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You really do not get the difference ?
Isiah gave up 2 first round picks for Eddie Curry an unproved NBA player that nobody wanted especially with the heart issue. Both picks were NOT PROTECTED.
We gave Houston one pick in 2012 to get rid of close to 10 million in contracts. I am sure if Donnie wants he can take someone elses Crap Contract and get a 1st round pick for that.

You are 100% wrong about Nate. Not a single team in the NBA made him an offer when he was a restricted free agent. Nate potential is so limited. Why would someone give up a 1st round pick for him. There is much more potential for a 1st rounder to grow at a cost of 2 million a year then Nates 5 million he just earned.

Watch what happens to nate next year and Lets see if the celtics make him a real offer. When he does not receive that tell me what you think then....

Jeffries, Hill , Hughes and a 1st rounder in 2012
FOR
Mcgrady, Sergio and the ability to sign Bosh or Wade and entice Lebron...

Your right its similiar to Isiah and Curry....Oy Vey

You should have read my post more carefully. I said the trade was similar. I never said the trade was exactly the same.

Whether you like it or not, and whether or not you're obsessed with Walsh, he traded Jordan Hill(a 2009 lottery pick), a 2011 first round pick(potentially a lottery pick), and a 2012 first round pick(potentially a lottery pick).

Isiah Thomas swapped both first round picks with Chicago, and the trade still failed. So I don't know what your point is.

Explain DAVID LEE NOT GETTING AN OFFER. He's an All Star. Nobody gave him an offer last season. Was it because nobody wanted Lee, who averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds last season? No, it was because teams are waiting for the 2010 free agency.

In the 2010 off season, teams will make offers to BOTH David Lee AND
Nate Robinson.
Is that a coincidence? No, it's because teams were specifically waiting for this off season to sign their players and did not want to get over the cap or have to pay luxury tax when they could just clear cap space and sign them this season.

Did Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, or Chris Bosh verbally agree to sign with the Knicks? No, so unless they actually sign with the Knicks, you can't give Walsh credit for something he has not done.

You edited the trade to make it look better.

This is the actual trade.

Jordan Hill(a 2009 lottery pick), Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, a 2011 first round pick, and a 2012 first round pick
for
An expiring and injury prone Tracy McGrady who the Knicks have no way of knowing whether or not he'll re-sign with them, Sergio Rodriguez, some bums, and cap space that the Knicks already had prior to the trade. The Knicks had about 27 million dollars in cap space, before the trade with Houston. That would have been enough to get one max free agent and had they kept their picks, they could have improved through the draft.

P.S. Nate Robinson averages 13.7 points per game, on the season.
If you honestly believe nobody is going to sign him, then you're about to be in for a big surprise.
NBA GMs are not stupid enough to pass up on a guy that's capable of being a 6th man on an elite team. Ex: the Lakers, Magic, Celtics, Cavs, etc.

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
You should have read my post more carefully. I said the trade was similar. I never said the trade was exactly the same.

Whether you like it or not, and whether or not you're obsessed with Walsh, he traded Jordan Hill(a 2009 lottery pick), a 2011 first round pick(potentially a lottery pick), and a 2012 first round pick(potentially a lottery pick).

Isiah Thomas swapped both first round picks with Chicago, and the trade still failed. So I don't know what your point is.

Explain DAVID LEE NOT GETTING AN OFFER. He's an All Star. Nobody gave him an offer last season. Was it because nobody wanted Lee, who averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds last season? No, it was because teams are waiting for the 2010 free agency.

In the 2010 off season, teams will make offers to BOTH David Lee AND
Nate Robinson.
Is that a coincidence? No, it's because teams were specifically waiting for this off season to sign their players and did not want to get over the cap or have to pay luxury tax when they could just clear cap space and sign them this season.

Did Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, or Chris Bosh verbally agree to sign with the Knicks? No, so unless they actually sign with the Knicks, you can't give Walsh credit for something he has not done.

You edited the trade to make it look better.

This is the actual trade.

Jordan Hill(a 2009 lottery pick), Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, a 2011 first round pick, and a 2012 first round pick
for
An expiring and injury prone Tracy McGrady who the Knicks have no way of knowing whether or not he'll re-sign with them, Sergio Rodriguez, some bums, and cap space that the Knicks already had prior to the trade. The Knicks had about 27 million dollars in cap space, before the trade with Houston. That would have been enough to get one max free agent and had they kept their picks, they could have improved through the draft.

P.S. Nate Robinson averages 13.7 points per game, on the season.
If you honestly believe nobody is going to sign him, then you're about to be in for a big surprise.
NBA GMs are not stupid enough to pass up on a guy that's capable of being a 6th man on an elite team. Ex: the Lakers, Magic, Celtics, Cavs, etc.

The only thing bad about your post is you still keep saying that we traded away our 2011 pick for Tmac and Rodriguez. No we didn't. We gave them the right to >SWAP< picks with us if they choose. For example if they have a better season than us, they will swap. If we have a better season than them, they won't and we will have the same 2011 draft pick as we would have had anyway.

We still have a 2011 first round pick, but it may or may not be some spots lower.

In regards to the 2012 pick, clearly the aim is that by 2012 we will be a winning team and thus it's not a big loss. Of course if we are still a lottery team in 2012 then that is going to make the trade worse but hopefully we won't be, and Donnie Walsh has put us in the best position not to be, even though it is a big risk.

In regards to Jordan Hill, I don't think he was ever any good (that's just my opinion) and the reason we didn't play him was to keep the illusion going that he has amare like potential. Thus getting some decent value out of him.

Also saying that we are in the same position regarding free agency is just silly. What is more attractive to free agents, to come to the current Knicks 2010 squad alone (Chandler/Gallo/Curry/Douglas) or to come to that team + either Lee or another max deal (Bosh/Wade/Johnson/Amare)... That's really a no brainer.

The one thing I will say is that whoever said trading our 8th pick + Jefferies last season we probably would have gotten much better value in return was right. However we didn't know who would slip to 8th back then, so obviously hindsight is 20/20.