Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: "ALL About the Money" Damon signs a contract with the Tigers

  1. #1
    Superstar johnstarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    643
    Rep Power
    6

    Default "ALL About the Money" Damon signs a contract with the Tigers

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Very typical for a Scott Boras client to sign with a team for cheap after everyone rejects him.I wasn't that crazy about the possibility of Damon re-signing with the Yankees.The guy is going to eventually decline and he plays terrible outfield.What I don't understand is how the Tigers got rid of Curtis Granderson because they didn't want to continue paying him but they're going to sign a much older player to a multi million dollar contract.

    I'm happy with what the Yankees have done this off season.They didn't need to throw 50 million dollars at free agents in order to improve their roster.Let's hope that they will defend their championship this season.

  2. #2
    The One and Only KING~POETIQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Queens the Foundation
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    The reason why teams have success is because they have a good gm that makes the right moves...


    obviously the tigers lack that..

  3. #3
    Superstar johnstarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    643
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by SLY1984
    The reason why teams have success is because they have a good gm that makes the right moves...


    obviously the tigers lack that..
    The Tigers had a good team that made the World Series three and a half years ago, but for some strange reason they seem to always finish behind the Twins and the White Sox in the AL Central.For the past few years their GM has brought in players like Gary Sheffield, Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis and Edwin Jackson to try and put the Tigers back in the playoffs.But it never worked out for them.

    Their front office executives cannot preach about getting younger and cutting down on payroll but then turn around and give Johnny Damon a contract to play the outfield for them.Aside from Damon's age and defensive liabilities, he will not fair well as a left handed hitter in Comerica Park.His power numbers will decline because he will no longer have the same shallow right field porch that he had in Yanke Stadium.I expect him to hit in between 10-15 home runs next season.

  4. #4
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by johnstarky
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Very typical for a Scott Boras client to sign with a team for cheap after everyone rejects him.I wasn't that crazy about the possibility of Damon re-signing with the Yankees.The guy is going to eventually decline and he plays terrible outfield.What I don't understand is how the Tigers got rid of Curtis Granderson because they didn't want to continue paying him but they're going to sign a much older player to a multi million dollar contract.

    I'm happy with what the Yankees have done this off season.They didn't need to throw 50 million dollars at free agents in order to improve their roster.Let's hope that they will defend their championship this season.
    Damon turned down a 2 year 14 million dollar deal with the Yankees and Tigers b4 signing this deal....for someone who wanted multiple years he sure messed up.

    Boras has been failing when it comes to Yankee clients.

    Boras almost ruined A-Rod's chances of coming back to NY because Boras wanted A Rod to test free agency and wait it out just like Damon did.
    Now everyone is waiting out these signing periods and getting left with nothing.

    Damon should have signed his first offer...Yanks...but hey im kind of glad hes gone because his outfield arm was garbage.

  5. #5
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by SLY1984
    The reason why teams have success is because they have a good gm that makes the right moves...


    obviously the tigers lack that..
    The Tigers have made sooooooo many amazing moves this off season. I think he is the best in baseball at his job after this off season. VERY VERY good gm

  6. #6
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by jpz17
    The Tigers have made sooooooo many amazing moves this off season. I think he is the best in baseball at his job after this off season. VERY VERY good gm
    Like what?

    Trading Edwin Jackson for Max Scherzer? Getting Phil Coke and an unproven Austin Jackson for their top OF? Losing Brandon Lyon and Fernando Rodney for Jose Valverde? Getting Damon?

    None of the moves are "amazing" and there aren't "sooooooo" many of them.

  7. #7
    Superstar th3realicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I am pretty sure that many Boras clients are hatting his retardness as of late. The man doesn't simply get it. The economy is sh!tty and you cannot pretend that things are like they were. He alsmost screw A Rod last year and now completely misshandled Damon. I am pretty sure the Yankees and Cashman won a moral battle with the Damon saga. You sure as hell don't put pressure on a GM's mind, let alone the Yankees GM.

    Boras would think twice before saying no to the Yankees from now on, especially with players like Damon.

  8. #8
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Like what?

    Trading Edwin Jackson for Max Scherzer? Getting Phil Coke and an unproven Austin Jackson for their top OF? Losing Brandon Lyon and Fernando Rodney for Jose Valverde? Getting Damon?

    None of the moves are "amazing" and there aren't "sooooooo" many of them.
    Every move listed above is a TREMENDOUS move

  9. #9
    I got Soul StreetDreams21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vegas/NY
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by jpz17
    Every move listed above is a TREMENDOUS move
    Getting Max whats his face, Phil Coke, and losing Rodney for Valverde?

    Explain yourself.

  10. #10
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by jpz17
    Every move listed above is a TREMENDOUS move
    Max Scherzer (25 years old) last year: 9-11, 4.12 ERA
    Edwin Jackson (26 years old) last year: 13-9, 3.62 ERA

    Swapping these guys is a "TREMENDOUS" move?

    Fernando Rodney was one of the most efficient closers last year, losing him for Jose Valverde is a wash...that's a "TREMENDOUS" move?

    Getting a middle reliever and an unproven OF for your #1 OF is a "TREMENDOUS" move?

    I know you say you watch baseball, but be serious for a second...look at these moves. They are by no means tremendous...

  11. #11
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Max Scherzer (25 years old) last year: 9-11, 4.12 ERA
    Edwin Jackson (26 years old) last year: 13-9, 3.62 ERA

    Swapping these guys is a "TREMENDOUS" move?

    Fernando Rodney was one of the most efficient closers last year, losing him for Jose Valverde is a wash...that's a "TREMENDOUS" move?

    Getting a middle reliever and an unproven OF for your #1 OF is a "TREMENDOUS" move?

    I know you say you watch baseball, but be serious for a second...look at these moves. They are by no means tremendous...
    Jose Valverde's past 3 season ERA:
    2.33, 3.38, 2.33 (09 First)
    Fernando Rodney's past 3 season ERA:
    4.40, 4.91, 4.26)09 First)

    Phil Coke's 2 Season ERAs:
    4.50, 0.61
    This early in his career, that is amazing numbers

    Damon hit .282 last year with 82 RBIs and just 92 strikeouts
    Granderson hit .249, 71 RBIs and 141 strikeouts. Just 20 steals and 3 errors (Damon had 2 more and 6 less caught stealing and only 8 less steals. Damon went 12 for 12 in steals)

    Now.. take a look at Edwin Jackson's career numbers. HORRIBLE besides last season. JUST TERRIBLE
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Tell me that wasn't a classic career year. Every season we see a career year guy.. Just happens. Look at Ryan Ludwick

    BTW, Austin Jackson isn't unproven. Look at his stats. I saw this guy 20 times last year and I was VERY impressed by him. I guarantee he will be a star. This GM has a great future team. Porcello, Verlander, Cabrera, Sizemore, Scherzer, Jackson, Perry, and so on. Very very good GM. He also realized the Tigers can't afford to keep all of their veteran players, so he cut the payroll a bit WHILE getting younger. He maybe knocked off 2 wins by cutting payroll which is amazing. Hank, Hal GO GET THAT TIGERS GM PLEASE!!!

  12. #12
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Edwin Jackson when he was 24 went 14-11, Max Scherzer when he was 24 (last year) went 9-11. They had similar ERAs. But Jackson did it in the American League, a stronger hitters league whereas Scherzer struggled in the NL, a notoriously weaker league. You are going to tell me last year was an incredible career year for Jackson when the year before he had a winning record (and granted, a higher ERA)? I'm just not buying it. Scherzer isn't bad, but I'd rather have Edwin Jackson who is 7 games over .500 in the last two years in the AL (including a stint pitching in the difficult AL East) than Scherzer.

    And the offensive numbers you cite from Damon and Granderson are skewed. Damon got more steals because the hitters that followed him (Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez) were considerably more dangerous than the hitters that followed Granderson (Magglio and Miggy). Therefore, the pitcher was unable to hold the runner on as well, they had to focus more attention at delivering the proper pitch. I'm not suggesting Granderson is all around better than Johnny Damon, but it's possible Damon saw more to hit than Granderson because teams wanted to get the guy out, not put him on base for Teixeira and ARod.

    You cite Ryan Ludwick, and you are right in that the guy had 15 less home runs and about 20 less RBI, but he also had 70 less at bats and struck out way less. It looked to me like Ludwick adjusted and started hitting for contact rather than for power, cleaned up his stroke. Perhaps it was a career year, but it's not Adrian Beltre-territory.

    And Austin Jackson is unproven in the majors. He had a terrible lack of power last year, and struck out way too much at a minor league level for me to be altogether excited with the guy. I know, Granderson struck out a lot too, but Granderson at least struck out against big league pitchers. Jackson was whiffing against minor league talent. That's scary to me.

  13. #13
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Ok
    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Edwin Jackson when he was 24 went 14-11, Max Scherzer when he was 24 (last year) went 9-11. They had similar ERAs. But Jackson did it in the American League, a stronger hitters league whereas Scherzer struggled in the NL, a notoriously weaker league. You are going to tell me last year was an incredible career year for Jackson when the year before he had a winning record (and granted, a higher ERA)? I'm just not buying it. Scherzer isn't bad, but I'd rather have Edwin Jackson who is 7 games over .500 in the last two years in the AL (including a stint pitching in the difficult AL East) than Scherzer.

    And the offensive numbers you cite from Damon and Granderson are skewed. Damon got more steals because the hitters that followed him (Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez) were considerably more dangerous than the hitters that followed Granderson (Magglio and Miggy). Therefore, the pitcher was unable to hold the runner on as well, they had to focus more attention at delivering the proper pitch. I'm not suggesting Granderson is all around better than Johnny Damon, but it's possible Damon saw more to hit than Granderson because teams wanted to get the guy out, not put him on base for Teixeira and ARod.

    You cite Ryan Ludwick, and you are right in that the guy had 15 less home runs and about 20 less RBI, but he also had 70 less at bats and struck out way less. It looked to me like Ludwick adjusted and started hitting for contact rather than for power, cleaned up his stroke. Perhaps it was a career year, but it's not Adrian Beltre-territory.

    And Austin Jackson is unproven in the majors. He had a terrible lack of power last year, and struck out way too much at a minor league level for me to be altogether excited with the guy. I know, Granderson struck out a lot too, but Granderson at least struck out against big league pitchers. Jackson was whiffing against minor league talent. That's scary to me.
    Ok... How many games did you watch him play? (A-Jack) Exactly

    And for Edwin Jackson winning in 09... He played for the AL Champions that season. Don't talk about wins

  14. #14
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by jpz17
    Ok

    Ok... How many games did you watch him play? (A-Jack) Exactly

    And for Edwin Jackson winning in 09... He played for the AL Champions that season. Don't talk about wins
    I watched A-Jack play a few times last year, never did anything really all that impressive, but mostly followed him on the LoHud Yankee blog...and there was nothing that impressive. And his numbers from last years were severely underwhelming. And even still, the fact remains that at the major league level A-Jax is still unproven...That was my point. That at this level, Jackson has done nothing...

    And my point about Edwin Jackson is you said his prior seasons were horrible and terrible, I was merely pointing out that Max Scherzer had similar numbers last year...so if Jackson was horrible and terrible as you state, so is Scherzer.

  15. #15
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    I watched A-Jack play a few times last year, never did anything really all that impressive, but mostly followed him on the LoHud Yankee blog...and there was nothing that impressive. And his numbers from last years were severely underwhelming. And even still, the fact remains that at the major league level A-Jax is still unproven...That was my point. That at this level, Jackson has done nothing...

    And my point about Edwin Jackson is you said his prior seasons were horrible and terrible, I was merely pointing out that Max Scherzer had similar numbers last year...so if Jackson was horrible and terrible as you state, so is Scherzer.
    I said Edwin was a one year guy. He is a horrible player that just had a good year

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2008 MLB Off Season Thread
    By jpz17 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2009, 21:19
  2. Sundov signs one year contract with Knicks
    By jsm0331 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Sep 09, 2004, 09:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •