Possible New York Knicks Offseason Ideas....

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
Hey i got this from a different knicks fan forum and thought the people here should check it out.....

Tell me what you guys think of these moves for the Knicks in the offseason....

EXPANSION DRAFT PROTECTED LIST:
1.)Marbs
2.)Thomas
3.)Sweentney
4.)Williams
5.)Harrington
6.)Johnson
7.)Mohammed

Taken: No One

DRAFT:
#45 Pick-Darius Rice
why?
Good perimeter shooter with good size. Could turn into another Tim Thomas.

OFFSEASON TRADES:

Deal No.1(this is a 3-team blockbuster between New York, Sacramento, and the LAClippers)

Knicks get:
Chris Webber

Kings get:
Mike Sweetney
Melvin Ely
Allan Houston

Clippers get:
Frank Williams

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE KNICKS:
Marbury and Webber would make one hell of a duo. This deal would catapult the Knicks to the top of the East.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE KINGS:
They save money in this trade since Houston's contract is a year shorter than Webber's deal. He gives them another perimeter threat aswell. They also pick up 2 young big men in Sweetney and Ely. When Sweetney got playing time, he showed he has potential. Ely is also a promising center.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE CLIPPS:
They need help in the backcourt. Williams would provide that. This also gives them an additional 1 million dollars in cap space.

Deal No.2(this is a simple swap between New York & Dallas)

Knicks get:
Micheal Finley

Mavs get:
Kurt Thomas
Shandon Anderson

Finley would be a very nice replacement for Houston at the 2G position. Fin is just as good a shooter, but is a far superior defender.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE MAVS:
I believe Cuban has realized the importance of defense and rebounding. This deal gives them that banger they've been lacking in Kurt Thomas. Plus, they get a good perimeter defender in Shandon Anderson. They have both Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard that can step in for Finley at the 2G position.

Deal No.3(this is a simple swap between New York & Portland)

Knicks get:
Ruben Patterson
Vladimir Stepania(team option picked up)
future 1st round pick(top 15 protected)

Blazers get:
Othella Harrington
Moochie Norris
future 2nd round pick

Patterson strengthens their bench. He gives them a good scoring/defensive punch. Vlad Stepania adds more depth upfront. It would be good to have a future 1st rounder around. Just in case the Knicks need to be rebuilt down the road.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BLAZERS:
This would really help Portlands image. Patterson is also preventing Woods and Outlaw from getting more PT. This deal gives them a decent backup PG in Norris and a good backup PF in Harrington. They also get an additional 3.5 million dollars in cap space for next summer since Harrington's deal is expiring.

FREE AGENCY:
Sign Keon Clark-2 years/5 million with a starting salary of 2.5 million(half the MLE).
why?
He gives the Knicks another quality big man to bring off the bench.

Sign Rafer Alston-2 years/5 million with a starting salary of 2.5 million(half the MLE).
why?
Alston is a fan favorite in New York and has proven he can be an effective backup PG.

Re-sign Vin Baker-2 years/minimum
why?
He wants to stay in New York. The Knicks could use some insurance in case Webber and Clark can't stay healthy.

NEW KNICKS ROSTER:
PG-Stephon Marbury/Rafer Alston
SG-Micheal Finley/Penny Hardaway
C-Nazr Mohammed/Dikembe Mutombo/Vlad Stepania
SF-Tim Thomas/Ruben Patterson
PF-Chris Webber/Keon Clark/Vin Baker
IR:
Darius Rice & Cezary Trybynsky

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
interesting.. i dunno. the first trade seems ok. the 2nd i dont like.. i doubt dallas would trade finley for h2o... doesnt look good for their part.. i like the last deal tho... well see. this looks like its from a real website right

rady

Administrator
Staff member
First Trade:

Sacramento trades: PF Chris Webber (18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 36.1 minutes)
Sacramento receives: PF Mike Sweetney (4.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.8 minutes)
SG Allan Houston (18.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.0 minutes)
PF Melvin Ely (3.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +7.8 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -1.8 apg.

New York trades: PG Frank Williams (3.9 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 12.8 minutes)
PF Mike Sweetney (4.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.8 minutes)
New York receives: PF Chris Webber (18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 23 games)
Change in team outlook: -8.0 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: PF Melvin Ely (3.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes)
L.A. Clippers receives: PG Frank Williams (3.9 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 56 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.2 ppg, -1.4 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID: 1594294

Second trade doesn't work

Third trade involves fraft picks, so i can't check it but sounds OK

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
rady said:
First Trade:

Sacramento trades: PF Chris Webber (18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 36.1 minutes)
Sacramento receives: PF Mike Sweetney (4.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.8 minutes)
PF Melvin Ely (3.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +7.8 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -1.8 apg.

New York trades: PG Frank Williams (3.9 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 12.8 minutes)
PF Mike Sweetney (4.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.8 minutes)
New York receives: PF Chris Webber (18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 23 games)
Change in team outlook: -8.0 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: PF Melvin Ely (3.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes)
L.A. Clippers receives: PG Frank Williams (3.9 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 56 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.2 ppg, -1.4 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID: 1594294

Second trade doesn't work

Third trade involves fraft picks, so i can't check it but sounds OK

yeah i think these trades are possible....
and yeah its from a real website but its just "possible" ideas....

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
yea it could work.... just 2 problems - i dont wanna trade fw. la gets a great deal out of it... i never heard of the guy their trading and they pick up fw!!!! also, i am not sure webbs will be healthy... if he is i could do the deal

e_D

Benchwarmer
deal # 2 would be a godsend! Kurt moves on, Shandon finally gets the hell out.. we get a 2 who can shoot slash dunk and all that.. Vin or Sweets get the starting 4 minutes. nice!

deal # 1 i dont like. I dont wanna get rid of F.Will or Sweets.. webber aint really a strong post player he's moved his game to more jumpshooting. a pick and roll with steph could be effective but the knicks wanna run, not pick and roll.

deal # 3 aint bad.. get rid of othella who don't play.. moochie leaves (I was starting to like him) and we get patterson who's a good defender, has some scoring bursts and is experienced. I like.

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
1) First thing, the team gets to protect 8 players, not 7.

2) Yall are currently projected to draft Tony Allen, here is a little about him:
Strengths: An extremely aggressive and intense combo guard. Plays tough, physical defense-blocks shots with his superb vertical and possess excellent hands which he uses to come up with plenty of steals (#1 in the Big 12). A very good rebounding guard because of his athletic ability, aggressiveness and strength. Very strong, works hard on keeping himself in optimal shape. Uses his strength well to post up his man and finish at the hoop. Good mid-range shot, likes to create separation from his defender with a nice crossover dribble. Excellent first step and either finishes very well at the basket or gets to the line. Jumps in the air and hangs, usually manages to hold his composure. Drive and dish game is his forte, likes to create for others but doesn’t excel at this. Can change gears quickly, likes to stop and elevate for the mid-range shot. Super confident, will palm the ball on the perimeter and take his man right off the dribble, usually staying within the context of the offense.

Not afraid to take the team on his back, was Oklahoma State’s go-to guy for most of the season. A winner- led his team all the way to the final four this year.

Weaknesses: Undersized- 6-4 shooting guards are not too hard to find. May be able to make the transition to point guard in the pros, but might lack the distributing skills and mentality to do so. Ball handling is adequate for a shooting guard, but far from being NBA PG caliber. Outside shot comes and goes, very streaky-will need to improve significantly in this aspect to be able to stick in the league in whatever position he plays. Only shooting slightly under 30% in the NCAA from behind the arc. Sometimes takes too much upon himself, driving into brick walls and making careless turnovers.

3) First trade seems good. Knicks finally get an All Star PF. Injury prone or not, he is still a great PF and in the East he would be able to put up great numbers, since there is very little size in the East. Also, you get to shop Houston while he still has some trade value.

Second trade is acually not bad either. Finley is a younger Houston. Plus, Dallas is going to be looking for defensive and toughness this summer, so I can see them willing to gice up Finley for Kurt. Anderson would be a throw in, and for the Knicks to be able to get rid of his salary would be a nice plus.

The third trade would be ok. The only player that would help is Ruben. I guess getting rid of Moochie, who wasn't one of Isiah's favorites and ridding NY of Harrington would be enough of a reason to pull the trigger on this trade. Plus, a top 15 draft pick, which could help the rebuilding process for the future.

4) I don't think Clark will be in the Big Apple. I think the Lakers are going to get him, we tried a couple years back, but we gave George the money instead...which was one of the worst decisions in Laker history. HE won't cost much since he hasn't played in 2 years...ok back to NY though.

There are some other quality big men in free agency this year. Dale Davis, he shouldn't cost much, since he is getting older and would be willing to accept a pay cut to get out of Portland, where he doesn't see a lot of time, due to their deep frontcourt.

Vlade is a free agent, he too is aging rapidly, but is still a basketball mastermind.

The ultimate big man in this year's free agency is Erick Dampier, but he has a player option, so the Knicks would have to give him the MLE and promise him a lot more next year.

As far as backup guards, Person, Lenard, and Gill are free agents, so one or two of them would be nice additions.

Instead of a big man, the Knicks could also go after Crawford, since Thomas is interested in him. The question is how much will he want. A sign and trade might be the best option.

5) I agree the Knicks really need to resign Vinny, he did really well in the playoffs, he would be a great player for yall to keep around.

AJD

Benchwarmer
frankwilliams said:
Hey i got this from a different knicks fan forum and thought the people here should check it out.....

Tell me what you guys think of these moves for the Knicks in the offseason....

EXPANSION DRAFT PROTECTED LIST:
1.)Marbs
2.)Thomas
3.)Sweentney
4.)Williams
5.)Harrington
6.)Johnson
7.)Mohammed

Taken: No One

DRAFT:
#45 Pick-Darius Rice
why?
Good perimeter shooter with good size. Could turn into another Tim Thomas.

OFFSEASON TRADES:

Deal No.1(this is a 3-team blockbuster between New York, Sacramento, and the LAClippers)

Knicks get:
Chris Webber

Kings get:
Mike Sweetney
Melvin Ely
Allan Houston

Clippers get:
Frank Williams

Marbury and Webber would make one hell of a duo. This deal would catapult the Knicks to the top of the East.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE KINGS:
They save money in this trade since Houston's contract is a year shorter than Webber's deal. He gives them another perimeter threat aswell. They also pick up 2 young big men in Sweetney and Ely. When Sweetney got playing time, he showed he has potential. Ely is also a promising center.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE CLIPPS:
They need help in the backcourt. Williams would provide that. This also gives them an additional 1 million dollars in cap space.

Deal No.2(this is a simple swap between New York & Dallas)

Knicks get:
Micheal Finley

Mavs get:
Kurt Thomas
Shandon Anderson

Finley would be a very nice replacement for Houston at the 2G position. Fin is just as good a shooter, but is a far superior defender.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE MAVS:
I believe Cuban has realized the importance of defense and rebounding. This deal gives them that banger they've been lacking in Kurt Thomas. Plus, they get a good perimeter defender in Shandon Anderson. They have both Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard that can step in for Finley at the 2G position.

Deal No.3(this is a simple swap between New York & Portland)

Knicks get:
Ruben Patterson
Vladimir Stepania(team option picked up)
future 1st round pick(top 15 protected)

Blazers get:
Othella Harrington
Moochie Norris
future 2nd round pick

Patterson strengthens their bench. He gives them a good scoring/defensive punch. Vlad Stepania adds more depth upfront. It would be good to have a future 1st rounder around. Just in case the Knicks need to be rebuilt down the road.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BLAZERS:
This would really help Portlands image. Patterson is also preventing Woods and Outlaw from getting more PT. This deal gives them a decent backup PG in Norris and a good backup PF in Harrington. They also get an additional 3.5 million dollars in cap space for next summer since Harrington's deal is expiring.

FREE AGENCY:
Sign Keon Clark-2 years/5 million with a starting salary of 2.5 million(half the MLE).
why?
He gives the Knicks another quality big man to bring off the bench.

Sign Rafer Alston-2 years/5 million with a starting salary of 2.5 million(half the MLE).
why?
Alston is a fan favorite in New York and has proven he can be an effective backup PG.

Re-sign Vin Baker-2 years/minimum
why?
He wants to stay in New York. The Knicks could use some insurance in case Webber and Clark can't stay healthy.

NEW KNICKS ROSTER:
PG-Stephon Marbury/Rafer Alston
SG-Micheal Finley/Penny Hardaway
C-Nazr Mohammed/Dikembe Mutombo/Vlad Stepania
SF-Tim Thomas/Ruben Patterson
PF-Chris Webber/Keon Clark/Vin Baker
IR:
Darius Rice & Cezary Trybynsky

Darius Rice won't fall to the 2nd round in my opinion. Don't even get me started on the free-agency projections.

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
Darius Rice won't fall to the 2nd round in my opinion. Don't even get me started on the free-agency projections.

What are you talking about.....
Darius Rice is projected about the last pick in the second round.....

JJtheKnick

Starter
the idea is to get a big man and to make sure they play as a team thats what the knicks need
and they also need to be healthy because allen if hes good i think the knicks will be fine

AJD

Benchwarmer
frankwilliams said:

What are you talking about.....
Darius Rice is projected about the last pick in the second round.....

His stock will rise. Bank on it.

AJD

Benchwarmer
In my latest editorial I break down the Knicks off-season options. You'll get my opinions as of now in there.

e_D

Benchwarmer
HAHAHA CHRIS DUDLEY. Whenever that dude got on the floor things would start going horribly wrong. I think he was the worst NBA player EVER!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
pyotrveliky said:
haha... we havent had ne white people in the last 10 years besides DUDLEy, knight and doleac
Lampe
Vranes
Van Horn
what are these?

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
yea i forgot van horn. lampie and vranes didnt play a game or if they did it was meaningless. my bad about kvh, i erased him from my memory already :p . dudley was one of the worst ft shooters ever and just plain one of the worst players :twisted:

ps i am not a racist :flippa: