Mike Brown exposes D'Antoni

nyk_nyk

All Star
With every loss, everyone seems to be piling on Mike D'Antoni - including the Knick coach himself.
Coming off his team's embarrassing effort against Cleveland on Monday night, D'Antoni admitted the obvious after practice in Greenburgh Tuesday.
"I haven't had a good year, that's for sure," said D'Antoni, whose 20-39 team has lost 10 of its last 11 games. "What's fair is fair."
But somewhat surprisingly, D'Antoni did not take umbrage with Cleveland coach Mike Brown's not-so-subtle shot at the Knicks' style of play. After the Cavs hammered the Knicks by 31 points, Brown said: "I'm not a fan of those old Sacramento, old Dallas and old Phoenix teams. The success of that formula in the playoffs is not very high."
Told of Brown's comments, D'Antoni noted that the Cavs are trying to win in a more traditional way, emphasizing defense.
"That's his philosophy, and it's worked, but they haven't won a title yet, you know?" he said. "But everybody has a way they coach and what they think works."
Despite the Knicks' results since he has been in New York, D'Antoni still believes in his system, which helped Phoenix win at least 60 games twice and helped the Suns make to back-to-back trips to the Western Conference finals.
But as well as he did with two-time MVP Steve Nash, D'Antoni often came under fire for using a system that never got the postseason stops to reach a Finals. With the Knicks headed toward another 50-loss season, there are questions whether D'Antoni's system will work in New York, even if the Knicks can attract marquee free agents such as LeBron James and Chris Bosh this summer.
"Different people have different philosophies, but (Brown) is right - we never got past San Antonio," D'Antoni said.
Brown was with the Spurs as an assistant to Gregg Popovich for three seasons, including the 2003 championship team that defeated the Nets.
But rather than chalk up Brown's remarks to being on the staff of a former rival, D'Antoni did admit that his team's defensive shortcomings prevented the Suns from getting to a Game 7 in the West finals.
"Obviously, if we could have played better defense, we'd have been better," he said. "It's not like we didn't try. We did. We were just honed to our offensive talents. I think we maximized them and we had a real good chance to beat San Antonio two or three times and we did not do it. So it's on us."
CURRY CLOSER: Eddy Curry went through a full practice and could be available tonight against the Pistons at the Garden, depending on how his knee feels Wednesday. Curry, who had surgery on his left knee in mid-January, has not played since Dec. 17.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
We are already discussing this in another thread. Below is my copy/paste from the other thread:

The Suns ran into the Spurs dynasty and it's no more a knock on him or the system as it was a knock on Pat Riley for not being able to beat Jordan and the Bulls.

I haven't heard anyone explain why a run and gun offense means you have to play weak defense. The Suns were a small quick team that did not have good defenders and that is why they played the way they did. The comedy is that people attacked Dant for the only system he could employ to win games with that squad and since his departure the Suns have not even come close. I'll say it again...the run and gun is designed to outscore your opponent because your team lacks the defense needed to hold down your opponents score. If you can't make consistent stops the only way to win is to score 120 a night.

We have seen that Dant can adapt because he already did after the 1-9 start. He plays to a teams strengths and is not hellbent on using SSOL above practical sensible choices that complement the players he is handed.

I would say if you could marry the SSOL offense with a strong defense then you have a winner.

Starks

Starter
Mike Brown is in no shape or form qualified to be dishing out critiques of other NBA coaches.

Brown is the most untalented hack of a coach in the leaugue. He would be selling TVs in PC Richards if it wasn't for LeBron.

He hasn't designed a play his entire career. My iphone can coach the Cavs and it would make no difference than what Brown is doing.

nyk_nyk

All Star
As everyone should know by now, I definitely agree with Mike Brown. Danphony admits that lack of defense was his downfall in PHX but at the same time he comes to the Knicks and focuses on offense. What a d**k!

All you have to do is check the last 7 NBA champs and you will see that defense played a mojor part in their rise to the top. His philosophy is entertainment but when its time to tangle with the big boys in the playoffs you need some lock down defenders.

Maimi had it with Shaq, SA had it with Bowen & Duncan, LA had it with Fisher, Kobe and Ariza, Boston had it with Posey, KG and Rondo.

When will Sir Pringles learn???

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Mike Brown is in no shape or form qualified to be dishing out critiques of other NBA coaches.

Brown is the most untalented hack of a coach in the leaugue. He would be selling TVs in PC Richards if it wasn't for LeBron.

He hasn't designed a play his entire career. My iphone can coach the Cavs and it would make no difference than what Brown is doing.

Agreed.

And I'm getting tired of the argument that D'Antoni doesn't care at all about defense and he is unwilling to employ defense into his philosophy. Those who say that are misinformed and haven't followed basketball.

They just look at the record and like typical over-reacting New York fans, call for the coach to be fired. If we had 35 wins right now none of these threads would have been created. It's that simple.

nyk_nyk

All Star
We are already discussing this in another thread. Below is my copy/paste from the other thread:

The Suns ran into the Spurs dynasty and it's no more a knock on him or the system as it was a knock on Pat Riley for not being able to beat Jordan and the Bulls.

I haven't heard anyone explain why a run and gun offense means you have to play weak defense. The Suns were a small quick team that did not have good defenders and that is why they played the way they did. The comedy is that people attacked Dant for the only system he could employ to win games with that squad and since his departure the Suns have not even come close. I'll say it again...the run and gun is designed to outscore your opponent because your team lacks the defense needed to hold down your opponents score. If you can't make consistent stops the only way to win is to score 120 a night.

We have seen that Dant can adapt because he already did after the 1-9 start. He plays to a teams strengths and is not hellbent on using SSOL above practical sensible choices that complement the players he is handed.

I would say if you could marry the SSOL offense with a strong defense then you have a winner.

Is that why he had Chandler throwing up 3s at the beginning of the season? Is that why he had an above average shot blocker on his bench but refused to use him?
Is that why he had a 6'10' rookie with energy and a passion to play but refused to use him even though the team lacked size?
Is that why he failed to give Steph a fair chance even though he is superior over Duhon?

I could go on forever man.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
As everyone should know by now, I definitely agree with Mike Brown. Danphony admits that lack of defense was his downfall in PHX but at the same time he comes to the Knicks and focuses on offense. What a d**k!

All you have to do is check the last 7 NBA champs and you will see that defense played a mojor part in their rise to the top. His philosophy is entertainment but when its time to tangle with the big boys in the playoffs you need some lock down defenders.

Maimi had it with Shaq, SA had it with Bowen & Duncan, LA had it with Fisher, Kobe and Ariza, Boston had it with Posey, KG and Rondo.

When will Sir Pringles learn???

You are entitled to your opinion on Dant but you are not giving rational reasons. You are somehow asserting that Dant is "anti-defense". Who in their right mind is against defense? If you and I know the importance of Defense certainly Dant and his years winning titles in Europe and coaching in the NBA knows about defense.

Defense is more about players than a coach. Yes a coach can make defensive switches and adjustments...yes a coach can demand defense and bench players who are unwilling to give the effort. Yes a coach can be known for his defense. (normally on teams without gifted scorers...Charlotte is a perfect example) But Dant went to the Suns and lead them to 60+ wins and back to back conference series. He did not walk in there and say..."forget D, we are doing this" He saw an undersized team without any elite defenders and played to their strengths while mitigating their weaknesses. SSOL is designed to outscore opponents because you lack the defensive ability to hold the opponents score down. SSOL does not proclude a team from playing good defense either.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Agreed.

And I'm getting tired of the argument that D'Antoni doesn't care at all about defense and he is unwilling to employ defense into his philosophy. Those who say that are misinformed and haven't followed basketball.

They just look at the record and like typical over-reacting New York fans, call for the coach to be fired. If we had 35 wins right now none of these threads would have been created. It's that simple.

Dantoni is known all through the league as an offensive coach so what do you expect? His famous SSOL strategy does not focus on defense and that is common knowledge.

I've been following basketball damn near my whole life and I understand what it takes to win in this league. Check my other posts about Dantoni. I don't just harp on lack of defense. It's a whole list of other things that he fails to do as a head coach. By now everyone knows about his ineptitude with subbing and situational late game strategy. Coaching in NY will expose your weaknesses and that's basically what's happening.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Because the wool was pulled over our eyes.

So suddenly now you see the light? Through your infinite wisdom you were able to crack the charade of D'Antoni's coaching style!!

Got to call bullsh*t on that one man. It's because we are losing. People use the tired old argument that D'Antoni doesn't care at all about defense because they are just using that as an excuse. You are basing your opinion on emotion.

You are the same kind of fan that cried for Larry Brown to be fired after his first season.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Is that why he had Chandler throwing up 3s at the beginning of the season?

Correct, beginning. He made adjustments and slowed the game down. The style of play we employed since our 1-9 start was traditonal offense and not SSOL. Further Chandler is known for chucking shots and not exploiting his natuarl gifts. The guy is a low baskeball IQ player. That said Dant is coaching him to his two best years as a pro and has him driving more than he ever did.

Is that why he had an above average shot blocker on his bench but refused to use him?

Darko is a bust and no one plays him. lol

Is that why he had a 6'10' rookie with energy and a passion to play but refused to use him even though the team lacked size?

I am sure there are plenty of reasons Hill did not get playing time. He is still a raw rookie and we had a shot at the playoffs up to around the beginning of February. Lets see if Hill thrives right away...if he does I will admit that Dant underutilized him.

Is that why he failed to give Steph a fair chance even though he is superior over Duhon?

Fair chance? LOL! Dant did not need to be a Knick to see Steph's history. The dude barely played in Boston and now plays in China because NO ONE in the NBA will give him a chance.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Coaching in NY will expose your weaknesses and that's basically what's happening.

What the hell does that mean? That makes no sense. I think coaching one of the worst rosters in the NBA, with almost the entire roster on the final year of their contracts and knowing they are not wanted back exposes a coaches weaknesses. Not New York.

nyk_nyk

All Star
So suddenly now you see the light? Through your infinite wisdom you were able to crack the charade of D'Antoni's coaching style!!

Got to call bullsh*t on that one man. It's because we are losing. People use the tired old argument that D'Antoni doesn't care at all about defense because they are just using that as an excuse. You are basing your opinion on emotion.

You are the same kind of fan that cried for Larry Brown to be fired after his first season.

I've NEVER been a fan of Dantoni as coach even when they were winning. I'm a true knick fan so I wasn't going to bash him or the team when they were winning. The point is, even though they had a nice little run that didn't change my view of him as a coach.

I loved when LB was here. Everyone knows he always starts off slow but when he get the team to listen he's a great coach. Though he was given a VERY short leash. He's an intelligent coach who can improve players with smarts.

No emotion here, just straight basketball sense and real talk. Maybe I should pull up some of my past threads a la Metro. lol

Blumatic

Rotation player
I've NEVER been a fan of Dantoni as coach even when they were winning. I'm a true knick fan so I wasn't going to bash him or the team when they were winning. The point is, even though they had a nice little run that didn't change my view of him as a coach.

I loved when LB was here. Everyone knows he always starts off slow but when he get the team to listen he's a great coach. Though he was given a VERY short leash. He's an intelligent coach who can improve players with smarts.

No emotion here, just straight basketball sense and real talk. Maybe I should pull up some of my past threads a la Metro. lol

Larry Brown, starts slow b/c theose teams sucked. Only reason why he would improve is b/c he would gut those teams and put in his players. Look at the Bobcats. Is that the same team before he got there (Omeka, Bell, Jackson, Tyrus Thomas, Boris Diaw, Tyson Chalnder). That's a verteran team team right there man. All Larry Brown moves. If Larry would have stayed he wouldnt make Marbury better (battled with AI for years...Practice!!).
Curry better?, Jeffiries and Jerome James better? Crawford a better starting shooting guard? No Sir.

Larry knows its all about personnel. And so should Knicks fans.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
LJ I am not trying to argue with you but you are killing these guys for criticizing coach D cuz we're losing and playing poor defense... ok?!

They are only saying these things cuz we're losing, well yeah, that's basic logic. If we had a solid record then no one would complain, and being that we don't many people are complaining. Isn't that how things have always been throughout sports history? Wasn't there a famous quote "Just win baby!" I would agree a huge part of the problem is the collection of talent, we plain don't have many guys that have ever played consistent defense, and we don't have many guys that are accustomed to a winning environment. But you can't say D'Antoni has done a masterful job and bitch cuz people are criticizing him.

Very simple, you fail a test your study habits are criticized, if you ace the test without even studying no one will call you out.

If you lose lots of games as a coach you will be criticized by fans, if you win you won't.

Not necessarily fair, but fans can call for a coach's head or call for the head of every player on the team. Coaches get canned, entire rosters don't get traded, particularly when most aren't players with much demand.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
LJ I am not trying to argue with you but you are killing these guys for criticizing coach D cuz we're losing and playing poor defense... ok?!

They are only saying these things cuz we're losing, well yeah, that's basic logic. If we had a solid record then no one would complain, and being that we don't many people are complaining. Isn't that how things have always been throughout sports history? Wasn't there a famous quote "Just win baby!" I would agree a huge part of the problem is the collection of talent, we plain don't have many guys that have ever played consistent defense, and we don't have many guys that are accustomed to a winning environment. But you can't say D'Antoni has done a masterful job and bitch cuz people are criticizing him.

It's fine to criticize him. He is deserving of some criticism for sure. I'm just saying that calling for him to be fired after 1 1/2 seasons in the middle of a 2 year rebuilding process is being unfair. Allow the man to at least have a functioning NBA roster before you call for him to be fired.

If he fails next year (with a decent roster), then I'm all for firing him. It's just very hard for me to believe everyone that wants him fired isn't basing it on their emotions. It has been done many time in the past.

Very simple, you fail a test your study habits are criticized, if you ace the test without even studying no one will call you out.

If you fail a test because the instructor gave you the wrong information, should you be criticized?

tiger0330

Legend
I am not a big fan of D'Antoni but DLee was quoted as saying D'Antoni was the best coach he ever played for at any level and the losing was not his fault. I know if you ask Marbury or Hughes they would probably say the exact opposite, but D'Antoni must be providing some kind of leadership to evoke a response like that out of DLee. I guess that makes D'Antoni better than Isiah and LB according to Lee.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't care so much about D'Antoni not being a great coach and lacking defensive coaching, it was his biased and stubborn decisions along with bad end of game plays that makes me not a fan of him.NOW he decides to bench Duhon and let Douglas develop?

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
I always believe that a coach is only as good as his best player. We've already witnessed how D'Antoni's system flopped in New York without a PG like Nash. Put Nash on this Knicks team and we'd be an instant contender.

Take LeBron off the Cavs' team and they'd be bottom dwellers just like us. Mike Brown should keep his mouth shut until he actually wins something.