Walker vs Chandler

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Way too early.Walker is taking a big opportunity and making the most of it.If he does this for most of the rest of the season then we can talk.

I'm really liking his game.

As for Chandler's emotion, I like it.It's different to have a guy who will dunk on you and not yell.He just needs to get to the basket some more every game.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't think people are saying Walker is the better player. What i'm getting consistently on this thread is that people like the attitude and energy of Walker better. People like that he's visible on the court and plays smart.

No doubt as of right now Wilson is the better player but Walker is doing all the right things to make his own case.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I don't think people are saying Walker is the better player. What i'm getting consistently on this thread is that people like the attitude and energy of Walker better. People like that he's visible on the court and plays smart.

No doubt as of right now Wilson is the better player but Walker is doing all the right things to make his own case.

Fair point, Wilson is by far the better player right now. But yes Walker's enthusiasm and outward emotion is very entertaining. He definetely deserves to be a role player for the orange and blue for a while.

mafra

Legend
I don't think it's really fair to compare the two. Chandler is really playing out of position when we ask him to assume the SG role. He's best suited to play PF. He's about 2-3 inches taller than Walker and looks more comfortable when he's matchign up against bigger bodies (where his quickness is really an advantage).

Walker looks REALLY good right now. He's looking like an absolute steak.... a real gem. But we're talking about a few games, and it's not like teams bring their A+ games when they face the pathetic Knicks right now.

Still, you have to love what you see. He's improving his jumper (and I expect his outside shooting touch will only improve the next few years); he plays defense.... He's a legit SG!

Bill Walker would have been a top-10 lottery selection had he not got hurt. Let's hope he's getting healthy now- but let's remember he is an injury risj. How will his knees handle the rigors of a complete NBA season?

HOWEVER, given that Walker is cheap (Knicks have a team option for him next year for 850K), he's the perfect piece for what NY needs/wants to do this Summer.

Walker & Douglas give the Knicks some guard action off the bench; and if TMAC assumes the PG duty then our depth is even better b/c now Sergio is in the mix. Sergio-Walker is a solid PG-SG 2nd unti combo (with Douglas behind that).

Walker could even start at SG, if you surround him with Tmac, Lebron, Bosh & Gallo or Chandler.

The question I ask: Which do you prefer (starting)?

Tmac-Walker
Sergio-Tmac

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I don't think it's really fair to compare the two. Chandler is really playing out of position when we ask him to assume the SG role. He's best suited to play PF. He's about 2-3 inches taller than Walker and looks more comfortable when he's matchign up against bigger bodies (where his quickness is really an advantage).

Walker looks REALLY good right now. He's looking like an absolute steak.... a real gem. But we're talking about a few games, and it's not like teams bring their A+ games when they face the pathetic Knicks right now.

Still, you have to love what you see. He's improving his jumper (and I expect his outside shooting touch will only improve the next few years); he plays defense.... He's a legit SG!

Bill Walker would have been a top-10 lottery selection had he not got hurt. Let's hope he's getting healthy now- but let's remember he is an injury risj. How will his knees handle the rigors of a complete NBA season?

HOWEVER, given that Walker is cheap (Knicks have a team option for him next year for 850K), he's the perfect piece for what NY needs/wants to do this Summer.

Walker & Douglas give the Knicks some guard action off the bench; and if TMAC assumes the PG duty then our depth is even better b/c now Sergio is in the mix. Sergio-Walker is a solid PG-SG 2nd unti combo (with Douglas behind that).

Walker could even start at SG, if you surround him with Tmac, Lebron, Bosh & Gallo or Chandler.

The question I ask: Which do you prefer (starting)?

Tmac-Walker
Sergio-Tmac

Sergio-Tmac.

I am still not sold on Tmac being a midterm solution. He has really lost his explosiveness and is an injury away from nothingness.

mafra

Legend
Sergio-Tmac.

I am still not sold on Tmac being a midterm solution. He has really lost his explosiveness and is an injury away from nothingness.

Well the deal is we cannot improve every position this summer. Currently, we have Chandler, Gallo, Curry & Douglas on the roster. We have a cheap 850K team option for Walker. We have 2 second round draft picks. There's our 2010 roster.

I'm sure there's something involving Sergio's contract, and even if not I would think he would welcome returning to NY on the cheap, given the system and chance to play on a good team. Same could be said with J-bender.

SO, here we go: Chandler, Gallo, Curry & Douglas; Walker, Sergio, Bender.

We give big bucks to 2 stars (Lebron & Bosh).

Tmac would sign on the cheap to play with that team. NY would not be able to go out and bring in a top PG b/c of salary cap. So, you sign Tmac and hope for the best.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Well the deal is we cannot improve every position this summer. Currently, we have Chandler, Gallo, Curry & Douglas on the roster. We have a cheap 850K team option for Walker. We have 2 second round draft picks. There's our 2010 roster.

I'm sure there's something involving Sergio's contract, and even if not I would think he would welcome returning to NY on the cheap, given the system and chance to play on a good team. Same could be said with J-bender.

SO, here we go: Chandler, Gallo, Curry & Douglas; Walker, Sergio, Bender.

We give big bucks to 2 stars (Lebron & Bosh).

Tmac would sign on the cheap to play with that team. NY would not be able to go out and bring in a top PG b/c of salary cap. So, you sign Tmac and hope for the best.

Fair enough.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
first off if ya'll haven't noticed he's being left open on almost every halfcourt play he's scored on

he was barely covered in the cavs gm and scoring 20 in a blowout loss is a cupcake achievement

otherwise he has great upper body strength, the legs are an issue on defense, but in comparison to chandler one thing for sure is his drive is better and more tactical

on some of those fastbreak drives he looked to get contact but scored it easily as well

this is a sign honestly becuz chandler is trash. he had a FEW cool blocks last season and since then most ppl think he can play D but he never steps up to the player. that and he's the most tentative player offensively i've ever seen in the nba, honest to god.

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah, lets not go crazy about Walker just yet. The Pistons let him score at will, they had no one under the basket to challenge him. Even a scrub like Stromile Swift could have scored bunches with the Pistons defending like that.

He had a better game against the Cavs, nice combination of dunks, jumpers and creating his shot with dribble penetration going left and right. IMO, he's more athletic than Chandler, the kid's hang time is amazing.

There have been a lot of players that have put up big numbers initially because opposing teams don't have scouting reports on them yet. Let's see what happens when the league adjusts and tightens up their D on him before anointing him an all-star.

nyk_nyk

All Star
first off if ya'll haven't noticed he's being left open on almost every halfcourt play he's scored on

he was barely covered in the cavs gm and scoring 20 in a blowout loss is a cupcake achievement

otherwise he has great upper body strength, the legs are an issue on defense, but in comparison to chandler one thing for sure is his drive is better and more tactical

on some of those fastbreak drives he looked to get contact but scored it easily as well

this is a sign honestly becuz chandler is trash. he had a FEW cool blocks last season and since then most ppl think he can play D but he never steps up to the player. that and he's the most tentative player offensively i've ever seen in the nba, honest to god.

Chandler is defeinitely not trash man. I do agree that he is often tentative and that may be because he's thinking too much instead of just playing. Once again that's where good basketball I.Q comes into play. Doesn't seem like Chandler fully believes in himself at times but he does have the talent to be good.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
All I know is that with Walker and Gallo, Wilson should be available in a trade.
Dream scenario:
Wilson for Rubio
WE CAN"T TRADE ANY MORE PICKS THOUGH.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Once you see how well he'd do here, I'm sure you would care less about how he sounds. And I've never heard his voice, I'm gonna have to see if he does or not.

Well I meant him not going with the T-Wolves because he didn't want to as if he chooses where to go.I don't know the whole story though.I wouldn't hate him if he came to New York and did great, just don't like that attitude.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Well I meant him not going with the T-Wolves because he didn't want to as if he chooses where to go.I don't know the whole story though.I wouldn't hate him if he came to New York and did great, just don't like that attitude.

I think you'd quickly forget about those things if he started producing immediately.

The Wolves knew Rubio didn't want to play for them and they drafted him anyway. Stupid on their part.

metrocard

Legend
Walker

-Superior athletically
-Better man to man defender
-Better jumprope
-Better prospect/talent
-Aggressive
-A true SF
-Better slashing ability
-Better ball handling
-Higher IQ
-Confidence
-A breathe of fresh air
-Not an Isiah prospect

Bill Walker is a career 61% FG shooter...respect the man.

Chandler should be traded this off season, he has no place on the team.

We have Harrington, Walker, T'Mac, and Gallinari, 4 guys who can rock the 3.

Chandler is playing the best ball he'll ever play in his career(quote me on this), he's at his prime now, trade him now or regret it like when Curry was averaging 18 ppg.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Walker

-Superior athletically
-Better man to man defender
-Better jumprope
-Better prospect/talent
-Aggressive
-A true SF
-Better slashing ability
-Better ball handling
-Higher IQ
-Confidence
-A breathe of fresh air
-Not an Isiah prospect

Bill Walker is a career 61% FG shooter...respect the man.

Chandler should be traded this off season, he has no place on the team.

We have Harrington, Walker, T'Mac, and Gallinari, 4 guys who can rock the 3.

Chandler is playing the best ball he'll ever play in his career(quote me on this), he's at his prime now, trade him now or regret it like when Curry was averaging 18 ppg.

What about Wil's game suggest that he is not going to improve anymore? Wilson was primarily a jump shooter last year and for the early part of this season, his game has evolved to attacking the basket more and Walt Clyde has said it himself that no one on the team finishes as good as Will in the open court. This shows that the he has the desire and even better the skill to get better.

Now Walker being a career 60% FG shooter is misleading when you consider how much he played, I mean after the first two games of this season Jared Jefferies was a 65% 3pt shooter! Stats tend to taper off as playing time increases. Thats a fact!

But speaking of Shooting% Will is shooting 47% while playing starter minutes at the SG position, thats pretty damn good!

Wilson is not a 3 pt shooter but he is currently shooting it better than T-Mac who you labeled as a player who can knock down the 3 for us and who you see has more of a role on the team

Wilson is indeed a true SF, he does all the things a typical SF is supposed to do (Lebron and Melo being examples of non typical SFs)! But He can also slide to the SG and PF, that's versatility and that it is where is worth is shown

Not knocking Bill Walker, but at this point the comparison is a little pre-mature.

Paul1355

All Star
Over the last couple of games, Walker has gotten some good minutes due to Chandler being out of the lineup. Overall I like what I've seen so far. Walker seems to have a lot of upside and brings something we haven't had in a long while. This summer, Walsh has to make some decisions about who to keep or let go and I believe Walker is a guy we should definitely invest in plus he would barely cost us anything.

Now I now some of you will say that you can't really assume anything in this short amount of time. However, there are some signs which lead me to believe that Walker (if given quality minutes) will produce more than Chandler. There are times when Chandler fades out of games in the 2nd half even when he's having a good game. This is obviously due to a lack of aggressiveness. Walker seems to have plenty of confidence and the skills to go with it plus he runs the floor well.

Here are the main reasons why RIGHT NOW I like Walker over Chandler:
  • Emotion and agressiveness
  • Doesn't seem to have a great jumpshot but can create of the dribble and finish strong
  • Walker is more explosive and will probably get to the FT line more often
  • A constant presence on the floor
  • Pretty good basketball I.Q (so far)
  • Understands spacing on offense
Defensively, Walker is below average so he will need to work on that along with his jumpshot.

If Walker is really the player (on a consistent basis) that he's showing then this just creates more trade opportunities for Walsh this summer. I think Chandler has decent trade value so a number of teams could be interested in him.

Thoughts?

I feel that we should keep them both unless we get some huge upgrade like Rudy Gay at small forward....having T Mac, Walker, and Chandler as the 1,2,3 is not that bad...tall and athletic and defensive minded.

For next year we can see how Walker develops....the guy gets in some serious foul trouble early in games and that would kill us if he was our only option at SF...but Chandler is a nice trading piece even though we should keep him.

Only trade Chandler or Gallo for a Center or 1st round picks.

metrocard

Legend
Wilson is not aggressive. Passive players don't have high ceilings.
Wilson can finish like Kobe, I don't care...He doesn't take it to the basket enough or strong, he's not physical. He's as soft as Curry.

Sometimes Clyde will say things to give Knicks fans hope...your source isn't that strong, sorry man. Chandler is limited, and theres no debating that. He was a late 1st for a reason.

Wilson is not a better or close to the 3pt shooter is.

Wilson has 152 made career 3pt shots
T'Mac has 1,025 made career 3pt shots

47% is misleading...

Chandler shoots 61% inside
379 shots attempt from there.

His jumpshot sucks.

He's a lame SF dude...don't be mislead by the 15/5.