Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornets "In Love" with David Lee

Default Hornets "In Love" with David Lee

A source tells Marc Berman that the Hornets are "in love with David Lee." The Hornets will not have the cap room to sign David Lee this off-season so a sign-and-trade deal would need to be worked out.
    Berman speculates that Chris Paul could be made available if the team believes he will bolt New Orleans in 2012. Also the large contract of Emeka Okafor would presumably be one that the Hornets have interest in shedding to gain financial relief.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Sign and trade for Chris Paul/Darren Collison anyone?

Walsh would be the GOAT if he brought CP3 to NY. Although I really don't see why the Hornets want Lee, that already have an AllStar PF In west. Whatever, better for us

They probably just wanna S&T him for Okafor and a scrub player. Lee + Curry for Paul and Okafor. Only way I'd do that trade.

who knows what the details/validity of this is, but it's interesting/good news nonetheless!

If we were able to get our hands on Paul I think we'd be able to dangle him in front of a lot of FAs... I can't even imagine a Paul/LBJ team up.. 'how sweet it is'

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    They probably just wanna S&T him for Okafor and a scrub player. Lee + Curry for Paul and Okafor. Only way I'd do that trade.
    You might have to throw in Ill Will.

And I totally agree Knicker...if Paul does come to ny, then I think we will become LeBron's #1 choice.

Originally Posted by StreetDreams21
    Sign and trade for Chris Paul/Darren Collison anyone?

Walsh would be the GOAT if he brought CP3 to NY. Although I really don't see why the Hornets want Lee, that already have an AllStar PF In west. Whatever, better for us
    I can take Collison and Okafor for Lee....

OR

This might be our chance to get Chris Paul....

Sign and trades can happen...Lee, Chandler, Curry, draft pick for Chris Paul...get an all star...nice young player in Chandler to fill that SF spot and get load of cap space with Curry coming off the books and a pick...i'd do it if i was the Hornets GM.

Veteran

We'd have to take Okafor's contract for them to begin to even consider giving us anything.

Okafor + Collison for Curry + Chandler seems to be a pretty fair deal. We can part with Chandler because we already have Gallinari, and getting Okafor and Collison fills the shotblocking center need that we have as well as the Point Guard spot that we have.

We end up with:

PG - Collison
    SG - Let's assume LeBron James can play SG
    SF - Gallinari
    PF - Bosh/Lee
    C - Okafor

Bench:
    Douglas
    Walker
    Earl Barron
    Giddens
    McGrady?

That'd be a pretty good team right there. Since Curry and Okafor is basically an exact match in salaries, we'd still have the same amount of cap space as we do right now...it's a pretty big risk to take on Okafor's contract, though - but he IS a shotblocking center and we certainly need one of those.

I personally think that we're probably better off just seeing if we can get Collison - while Chris Paul is a better player, if we get Chris Paul, we only have room for one other free agent.

I mea, let's think about it. Would you rather have:

Chris Paul
    LeBron James

OR would you rather have:

Darren Collison
    LeBron James
    Chris Bosh

I personally think the latter is more desirable for us.

Although I'm not totally sure where David Lee comes in - I suppose David Lee only comes into the picture if we're talking about CP3 - I don't see how a David Lee situation would work with regards to the Okafor circumstance - Curry for Okafor is already a straight up swap that HEAVILY favors the Hornets (especially since Okafor's contract really IS THAT BAD)

Veteran

Case in point with regards to Collison:

As a starter, he's averaging 18.8 PPG and 9.1 APG on 48.5% shooting and 4.1 TO/G.

Those are better numbers than Paul's first year, and Collison still has room to grow.

Veteran

Collison still need another season or two of CP3 tutoring and guidance each game vs the different types of oposition backcourts. Breaking up the two teammate PG would be bad for Collison's developement.

As for David Lee, he has become NBA teams best reasonable $$$ PF FA to call and offer an offersheet to first on July 1st., especially if your team is in need of a consistent "double-double" PF that compliments his teammates performance. Plus he's experience in dealing with the biggest media circle arround.

The top FA PF: Bosh, Amare, and Boozer "expectations" of their next contracts are much higher than David Lee's.
    So who would u call first???

KnicksonLIN.com

I guess the Hornets are trying to get Lee to replace Okafor at the center spot. The only way I'd trade Lee for Okafor is if they include Darren Collison and a 2011 unprotected first round pick. They could also take Duhon, if they want.

Veteran

Originally Posted by abcd
    I guess the Hornets are trying to get Lee to replace Okafor at the center spot. The only way I'd trade Lee for Okafor is if they include Darren Collison and a 2011 unprotected first round pick. They could also take Duhon, if they want.

I dont think the Hornets will give up CP3, Collison, West, and Okafor.....the Honets signed 6.8 Posey to give West & Chandler some help in the paint like Posey did with Perkins & KG in Boston.
    The Hornets added 6.9 Songailia and 6.9 Diogu to their roster to fit into their frontcourt rotation to add a bigman depth alongside of either Okafor or West.
    None of the three bigmen panned out.
    So adding a 6.9 David Lee would mean getting rid of all three or two of those bigmen.

Plain and simple if you can get Paul or Collison without giving up Gallinari or a 1st rounder you do it.
    Heck...If it means giving up only one 1st rounder I might pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    The only way you would trade for the best pg in the NBA is to include curry

dude I would give away any one on our team plus a handful of future lottery picks to get chris paul at this point in his career, injuries or no injuries he is not injury prone, and he instantly makes us a winning team. Add a guy like Amare to the mix

Paul
    Chandler
    Gallo
    Amare
    Camby

: )

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I would trade

Lee
    Chandler
    2011 first round pick

for Paul

Knicks will be

Paul
    Walker
    Gallinari
    Harrington
    Barron

Bench
    Douglas
    2010 2nd round pick
    Rodriguez

We'll build it up from that.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    I would trade

Lee
    Chandler
    2011 first round pick

for Paul

Knicks will be

Paul
    Walker
    Gallinari
    Harrington
    Barron

Bench
    Douglas
    2010 2nd round pick
    Rodriguez

We'll build it up from that.

If we came away from this off season with Walker, Harrington, and Barron in our starting lineup i'd say it would have been a near failure of a summer. That lineup would maybe get us into the 8th spot, just because Paul is that good. But getting anywhere in the playoffs, no way.

Originally Posted by Knicker23
    If we came away from this off season with Walker, Harrington, and Barron in our starting lineup i'd say it would have been a near failure of a summer. That lineup would maybe get us into the 8th spot, just because Paul is that good. But getting anywhere in the playoffs, no way.
    he said we'll build it from there... meaning we use our remaining cap space to shake things up. correct me if im wrong, but we'd still have about 24 mil in cap space after getting rid of chandler's 2 mil contract and taking on CP3's 12 or so million.