Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airing this Sunday on ESPN: "Winning Time: Reggie Miller v. The New York Knicks"

Veteran

Originally Posted by Starks
    Say what you want about Reggie, but if it wasn't for him, the rivalry between us and the Pacers is nothing but a little blip in Knick history.

Watching those games were the best times of basketball in my life and I would do anything for the Knicks to have a rival that got a city fired up like Miller did. It equates to pain, joy, and really turns watching the Knicks into an emotional Shakesperian Drama played out for us in the greatest arena in the world.

It beats broadway. It beats seeing a movie. That rivalry was simply the best event in town, all thanks to Miller.

So what if we lost a lot of those games. Grow a pair and deal with it. Being fan means being man enough to take your lumps and keep watching. I rather watch a series like that with a real "bad guy" than some boring ass game between the Knicks and Magic where everyone is smiling, joking around, and going out for dinner after the game.

Reggie Miller was like the Ric Flair of basketball. He made that series and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have such poignant feelings when thinking back on the mid 90s.
    Great post!!!! The lack of rivalries is why NBA basketball sucks right now. Teams don't hate each other like they used to. I grew up watching Sixers/Celtics, Lakers/Sixers, Celtics/Lakers, Lakers/Pistons...... Those teams hated each other and it showed on the court. Now its who cares who is playing who as long as the multi-million salaries get paid. The result: The basketball is boring even though the talent is much better. Knicks/Pacers/Heat/Bulls was beat you on or off the court. You looked forward to those games because no matter which team had the better record, it was on. I guess I'm sounding like a grumpy old man hear but I get what you are saying. I'm gonna watch just to hear that old Garden chant of "DEFENSE" one last time.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

Originally Posted by Starks
    Well the point of forums is to air your opinions to an interested public, so there's no rule about putting people on trial who don't agree, so I'll live with not seeing eye to eye.

On a related note, I think a better Knick related 30 for 30 film would be one on the downfall of Isiah Thomas. That be interesting to document the futility of this mans career off the court. It be like that Tyson doc

I never liked that short rival with the Pacers b/c we used to beat them (4-1) on a regular, untill they got our (last ROY) Mark Jackson (St. Johns) as their PG.

I liked the Rival between Boston (50 point Bernard King), Miami Mourning vs Ewing, and bumbing-heads with the Jordan Bulls every playoff.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    I never liked that short rival with the Pacers b/c we used to beat them (4-1) on a regular, untill they got our (last ROY) Mark Jackson (St. Johns) as their PG.

I liked the Rival between Boston (50 point Bernard King), Miami Mourning vs Ewing, and bumbing-heads with the Jordan Bulls every playoff.
    The Pacers rivalry did a lot of damage to me. Miller's antics killed me in ways that stung for hours. I literally had hangovers in school the next day thinking about how he and Smits would kill us. It wasn't fun at the time and I def feared that team the most when Jordan was gone.

My favorite rivalry was w/o a doubt Miami. I loved being an underdog and spoiling their playoff runs after their superb season next to our mediocore ones. It was then I learned the regular season didn't mean much other than to squeek in the playoffs.

We don't have anything close to a rivalry now, but i can already predict our next one. It will be with whatever team LeBron signs with. It will start with him slighting us, and then be accentuated by comments he makes on why he didn't chose NY.

This thread demonstrates exactly why LeBron will never be in NY because he rather be a Knick-Killer like Reggie than play for NY.

Superstar

Originally Posted by XH20X
    This thread demonstrates exactly why LeBron will never be in NY because he rather be a Knick-Killer like Reggie than play for NY.
    Totally agree. If he stays and we get some other top agents. It is on. Once we start booing, he is going kill us.

If he stays and we get good, drama will be back at the Garden.

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    I will watch just to remember the good old days.... Sunday AM match-ups with the Pacers and Heat....Tuesdays nights w/Hubie....X-mas Day Vs Mike....Playoffs... You wanna talk about PLAYOFFS????
    I think there were both Saturday and Sunday matchups, no? Used to come after Hangtime and Inside Stuff on NBC. Remember that show with Reggie Theus as the coach?

Originally Posted by Scribbles
    I think there were both Saturday and Sunday matchups, no? Used to come after Hangtime and Inside Stuff on NBC. Remember that show with Reggie Theus as the coach?

Lmao.. use to watch hangtime and city high(?) back in those days... I think I was like 9 or 10 y/o at the time...

Anthony Anderson!!! lmao

Veteran

Originally Posted by Scribbles

The Saturday match-ups were usually during the playoffs if I remember correctly. Man that was a long time ago....

I came into age as a Knick fan during the Isiah era, so I don't really remember the NYK/Pacer rivalry, but I do remember Reggie Miller **** talking the Knicks throughout the whole All-Star Weekend.

It doesen't matter what he did against us and how. Give the man some respect. He is one of the best shoters the game have ever seen and a class act of the court. A first ballot HOF for sure. Respect Reggie. Yeah I hate him to but ...respect.

Originally Posted by Blumatic
    Totally agree. If he stays and we get some other top agents. It is on. Once we start booing, he is going kill us.

If he stays and we get good, drama will be back at the Garden.
    Amen. LeBron probably isn't coming to resurrect New York. He's probably coming to do what Miller and Jordan did to Ewing: Send us deeper into the dead.

This was an awesome documentary btw. God I f****** hate Reggie Miller. It was awesome being at Staples Center in 2000 to see the Lakers **** on him and the Pacers hahaha

anyone got DL link for this? Or anywhere I can watch it online...

I finally got a chance to watch this and it was definitely painful to relive some of it. I can respect him as a player these days, but f**k Reggie Miller, seriously... I hated the guy.

That era was the peak of my interest in basketball and the Knicks, and it was great to hear some of the things I didn't know, like Stark's mum telling off Ewing, etc. Was good to see the moments when the Knicks fought off the Pacers, and Spike Lee was pretty good value. Still... Some painful stuff for our poor Knicks.

The very end made me laugh though, how the Pacers reacted to the LJ 4 point play.

Definitely worth a look at least.