What does/will this team need more, an All-star PG or an All-star C?

What do the Knicks need more, a PG or a Center?

• A defense minded center that blocks out and rebounds well

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • An unselfish guard that can score when needed

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • King James, baby!

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Indulge me for a minute or two here.

With the Free-agent summer coming up and Gallo's recent performance in that game on 3/10/10 against the Spurs, I just realized that New York is setting their sights on LeBron James. Another Forward.

The Knicks have been Forward-heavy (Oakley, Grandmama, Spree, even saw the X-man) the past few decades, and I'm wondering if chasing another (even if he is the King) is really worth it. Then I looked at the Spurs and the Grizzlies highlights and I wonder to myself: What would a really good point guard do for the Knicks?

Of course, I then saw the Reggie Miller thread and thought of Starks (SG) and Ewing (C) and immediately remembered what an impact a good center had on the team. (And with some digging, how much Mark Jackson contributed as a PG.)

So I just wanted to be educated on the subject here.

Considering the Knicks might rebuild with an entirely new starting line-up next year, what's more important in a new team (likely filled with a variety of role-players): an Unselfish Point or an Indomitable Center?

(And this isn't even taking into account who will be the Team Captain.)

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would say all-star PG cause we need someone to orchestrate the offense and i say just a defensive C like camby would do this team good, we need someone to grab rebounds and dominate the lowpost defensively

but the PG would run the offense cause as proved by Nash, in D'Antoni's system it all starts with the PG and if he's good at setting ppl up then the offense will run fluid but of course we need a Star in general on this team but a nice PG would be just fine

nyk_nyk

All Star
I say a center. We've lost plenty of games this season because we couldn't defend the paint, particularly in the 4th qtr. We have a couple players that can create their own shot and the P&R with Lee aint all that complicated so the real need is in a center.

The fact of the matter is that Lee nor anyone else on the team is even close to a competent center. However, T-mac and Rodriguez have the ability to run the point effectively on most nights.

p0nder

Starter
I say king james baby.
Whether he has Bosh or Wade along side of him, it really wouldn't matter. We would just simply dominate.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Its seem likely that we are going to keep Rodriguez. I think we should go after a Center more than anything. I also see D'Antoni playing Douglas more and more so I think we have Rod and Douglas running point next season. We should pick up that Defensive C. Also if we do get LeBron, he will be controlling the ball movement for the most part.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I say a center. We've lost plenty of games this season because we couldn't defend the paint, particularly in the 4th qtr. We have a couple players that can create their own shot and the P&R with Lee aint all that complicated so the real need is in a center.

The fact of the matter is that Lee nor anyone else on the team is even close to a competent center. However, T-mac and Rodriguez have the ability to run the point effectively on most nights.

Correct. We desperately need a defensive big man that will alter shots down low.

I get disgusted every time I see a guard go up for an uncontested lay-up. Having a defensive center would negate those easy shots and force players to think twice about driving the lane.

Red

TYPE-A
Don't count on a real center

i would say all-star PG cause we need someone to orchestrate the offense and i say just a defensive C like camby would do this team good, we need someone to grab rebounds and dominate the lowpost defensively

but the PG would run the offense cause as proved by Nash, in D'Antoni's system it all starts with the PG and if he's good at setting ppl up then the offense will run fluid but of course we need a Star in general on this team but a nice PG would be just fine

Sigh.....
He might be able to grab rebounds but...

dominating the low-post is wishful thinking, considering his age and the likely chances of him declining.

Thumbs down to adding Camby during our rebuilding project. There's one other issue though (see below).

Newsflash!!!!

We've lost YEARS worth of games due to our reluctance and depreciation (and luck) in acquiring a real BIG MAN.

Valuing a PG would only serve to promote this nonsense approach to ball.

Its seem likely that we are going to keep Rodriguez. I think we should go after a Center more than anything. I also see D'Antoni playing Douglas more and more so I think we have Rod and Douglas running point next season. We should pick up that Defensive C. Also if we do get LeBron, he will be controlling the ball movement for the most part.

Don't know why some don't realize THERE IS NO ROOM FOR A CENTER IN D'ANTONI'S SYSTEM. Not a traditional center.

Odds are...

We will have another Forward (SF,PF) playing out of position as D'Antoni's flawed philosophy and inflated ego won't allow him to consider defense, big men that play off the blocks, or a shot blocker who can't hit open jumpers 20ft away.

Sorry...

Wishful thinking though!

Be prepared to look forward to us trying to reinvent the wheel, playing forwards out of position to perpetuate a flawed approach to the game.

Correct. We desperately need a defensive big man that will alter shots down low.

I get disgusted every time I see a guard go up for an uncontested lay-up. Having a defensive center would negate those easy shots and force players to think twice about driving the lane.

We will get nothing of the sort, while D'Antoni is here.

In fact...

We'll get a roster built for him, that no one else can work with and it will set us back again when Walsh finally realizes and remembers he has nuts- and fires or doesn't resign him.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think it depends on what players we pick up. Right now both are crucial but the addition of Bosh could make a center less crucial than a PG. If we picked up Lebron than a PG may be less crucial since he can play pointforward. Now if we get both I would like to see a defensive center above all else.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I would say center because PG's are a dime a dozen, our management has just been to dumb to draft one. Cole Aldrich is coming out this year and even though I am a Kansas hater, Cole can play. He can block shots as well as provide a post presence on offense. I don't know if we gave away our first rounder this year, but if we have a top ten draft pick, grabbing Cole is a no-brainer.

GetRealistic

Starter
I would say center because PG's are a dime a dozen, our management has just been to dumb to draft one. Cole Aldrich is coming out this year and even though I am a Kansas hater, Cole can play. He can block shots as well as provide a post presence on offense. I don't know if we gave away our first rounder this year, but if we have a top ten draft pick, grabbing Cole is a no-brainer.

With our imaginary first round pick... Aldridge is a lottery pick my man.. But i do agree that we can find a point guard. With a better supporting cast and an improved jumper Rodriguez would suffice as a PG. In reality with our 3 second round picks and go all out and draft 3 big men or 3 point guards and hope one sticks.

jimkcchief88

All Star
With our imaginary first round pick... Aldridge is a lottery pick my man.. But i do agree that we can find a point guard. With a better supporting cast and an improved jumper Rodriguez would suffice as a PG. In reality with our 3 second round picks and go all out and draft 3 big men or 3 point guards and hope one sticks.

Thanks for the info....Thats why I said I wasn't sure if we had a first rounder or not....I like your idea of using whatever pick we have on the best bigmen on the board. Or maybe we make the big push for Bosh or Amare....

CoolClyde

Getting LeBronx would be the coup to end all coups.

We NEED a shot-blocking, paint-defending Center more than anything, but knowing No-D'antoni's Offense-First, Defense-Last schematic, a PG will be priority to run the SSOL, the only plan he knows.

Bosh could provide the protection in the paint, and LBJ the PG ball-handling, irregardless of their natural positions.

Dream on, dream on till your dreams come true.

until July...
:barf::gony:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Sigh.....
He might be able to grab rebounds but...

dominating the low-post is wishful thinking, considering his age and the likely chances of him declining.

Thumbs down to adding Camby during our rebuilding project. There's one other issue though (see below).

Newsflash!!!!

We've lost YEARS worth of games due to our reluctance and depreciation (and luck) in acquiring a real BIG MAN.

Valuing a PG would only serve to promote this nonsense approach to ball.

Don't know why some don't realize THERE IS NO ROOM FOR A CENTER IN D'ANTONI'S SYSTEM. Not a traditional center.

Odds are...

We will have another Forward (SF,PF) playing out of position as D'Antoni's flawed philosophy and inflated ego won't allow him to consider defense, big men that play off the blocks, or a shot blocker who can't hit open jumpers 20ft away.

Sorry...

Wishful thinking though!

Be prepared to look forward to us trying to reinvent the wheel, playing forwards out of position to perpetuate a flawed approach to the game.

We will get nothing of the sort, while D'Antoni is here.

In fact...

We'll get a roster built for him, that no one else can work with and it will set us back again when Walsh finally realizes and remembers he has nuts- and fires or doesn't resign him.

i know he is but it doesnt necessarily have to be Camby, i meant someone like camby who could dominate defensively and make opposition think twice about letting that layup/floater go, rather then whats going on now. someone like camby that runs the floor well, all while dominating defensively

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I would prefer to see a good defensive centre.

We are in desperate need of someone to protect the paint. I am so tired of watching opponents scoring at will past us with nobody making any effort to defend.

I just hope that Donnie going to games recently means that maybe he realises how flawed D`Antoni`s no defence is and that we grab ourselves a big for the paint.

I was thinking that there might even be a centre in the D-league who can defend bettrt. it isn`t a long term option maybe but we could pick up someone on a ten day contract just to see if they were any good.

what do you guys think? It certainly can`t hurt.

clumsy

Rotation player
Defensive Center to be competitive in playoff race

PG with the Center go deep into playoffs.

Lebron to go to Finals with those other 2 pieces where it would be a crapshoot.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Our biggest need is a defensive Center; I'd like having a combination of Camby and Whiteside/Alabi/Udoh (one of them might slip to the 2nd round)...

Paul1355

All Star
We Need A Center

Indulge me for a minute or two here.

With the Free-agent summer coming up and Gallo's recent performance in that game on 3/10/10 against the Spurs, I just realized that New York is setting their sights on LeBron James. Another Forward.

The Knicks have been Forward-heavy (Oakley, Grandmama, Spree, even saw the X-man) the past few decades, and I'm wondering if chasing another (even if he is the King) is really worth it. Then I looked at the Spurs and the Grizzlies highlights and I wonder to myself: What would a really good point guard do for the Knicks?

Of course, I then saw the Reggie Miller thread and thought of Starks (SG) and Ewing (C) and immediately remembered what an impact a good center had on the team. (And with some digging, how much Mark Jackson contributed as a PG.)

So I just wanted to be educated on the subject here.

Considering the Knicks might rebuild with an entirely new starting line-up next year, what's more important in a new team (likely filled with a variety of role-players): an Unselfish Point or an Indomitable Center?

(And this isn't even taking into account who will be the Team Captain.)

We have Toney Douglas, a nice young PG that has a future in this league that can play both offense and defense and run an up tempo offense with his speed, even Sergio is a decent piece and not bad for a back up who is only 23 years old.

We are fine at PG...we aren't great but I want to see if Douglas can finally develope into the steal in the draft that we all thought he was.

AT CENTER: PROBLEMS! first off we don't even have a legit center...David Lee has to stop playing Center because he is out of position for 2 years and can't defend centers for his life. Bender should get rmoe playing time for his size but he is a tall PF/SF so I can understand why he doesn't start at Center.

We haven't had a legit center since Nazi Muhammed, it is just that sad.

We need a center more than anything right now. A shotblocking center would let us keep Lee and not have to worry about his post defense which stinks and Lee would play so much better as a PF....imagine how good he would be as a PF if he was an all star as an out of positioned Center.

He havent lost many games because of a PG even though Chris Duhon did lose some games by himself because he is so bad, we have a solution to PG and that is Toney Douglas....we have lost many games because of a lack of post defense that murders us and kills any morale and the drive to go on an offensive run. Defense creates offense so our offense suffers too because of no Center.

It is a no brainer that we need a Center more than a PG right now. Anyone that wants to debate this can challenge me any day I know I am right on this topic.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We need a defensive minded center more than we need a PG.

When was the last time a team without a decent center won the NBA Finals? Or at least, the last time a team without defense in the paint won the NBA Finals? The Lakers had Bynum/Gasol, the Celtics had Garnett, the Spurs had Duncan, the Pistons had Ben Wallace, the Heat had Shaq, the Lakers had Shaq before hand, the Spurs had Robinson before Duncan...etc.

Whereas plenty of those teams didn't have the greatest point guard out ther