Has Chandler played his last game as a Knick?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Groin injury could sideline Chandler for season

By Frank Isola

Wilson Chandler may have played his final game of the season. The Knicks small forward will not play in tonight's game against Boston due to recurring pain to his left groin. Chandler has been playing with the injury for the past six weeks and has been told that it will only improve with rest. Mike D'Antoni did not rule out shutting down Chandler for the last 15 games.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/03/groin-injury-could-sideline-ch.html?

Do you think he will be traded this summer?

Should we keep him?

If he is injured and Donnie keeps him, shutting him down now is a good idea. He needs a full offseason to work on his game.

RealGM Note: If Chandler is indeed done for 09-10, his 22-year-old season compares statistically most similarly to Jeff Green and Rudy Gay (both 08-09).

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...cks_may_shut_chandler_down_with_groin_injury/

Sometimes I think he can be a great player and other times he baffles me. Same goes for Gallo.

paris401

Starter
i like wilson... i would like him to be a bit more consistent, but i think he has improved this year and will see add. improvement next...

as to 'zip'ole.. i'd ship his ass back to italy on the next flight..

nyk_nyk

All Star
Low basketball I.Q., No intensity or aggresiveness. No thank you.

It's time to start getting players who have passion and determination.

Paul1355

All Star
Do you think he will be traded this summer?

Should we keep him?

If he is injured and Donnie keeps him, shutting him down now is a good idea. He needs a full offseason to work on his game.

Sometimes I think he can be a great player and other times he baffles me. Same goes for Gallo.

This is bad news...Chandler has seen some injuries the past two years...I hope he is not becoming injury prone status.

Chandler is a special player at his age but if we can trade him for a Center and a draft pick; someone that is needed, than I would trade him because we have other SF's that can fill his shoes.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Wilson Chandler is good. People forget that he was drafted at #21. You can't expect a player drafted that low to be great. As long as Chandler continues to work on his shot selection, he can be a good 3rd option on a winning Knick team. His defense, mid range jumper, and inside game is very good.

Danilo Gallinari has less field goal percentage, less rebounding, and less assists than Chandler, despite being drafted 15 slots ahead of Chandler. That says a lot.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Wilson Chandler is good. People forget that he was drafted at #21. You can't expect a player drafted that low to be great. As long as Chandler continues to work on his shot selection, he can be a good 3rd option on a winning Knick team. His defense, mid range jumper, and inside game is very good.

Danilo Gallinari has less field goal percentage, less rebounding, and less assists than Chandler, despite being drafted 15 slots ahead of Chandler. That says a lot.
No it doesn't...those grammatically incorrect flop of irrelevant stats has nothing to do with the comparison of Gallo and Will.

They have completely different roles!

If you want me to explain every single statistically difference you just brought forward, then here, I'll be your guest.

1. Gallo has a lower field % (not a "less" field goal %). Is this stat blunder really that hard for you to figure out? Gallo plays MORE minutes and takes MORE shots. Not to mention he has also played in far MORE games than Will has. So obviously his field goal % is going to be lower. And this whole field goal % argument is irrelevant when you bring Gallo's impressive 43% shooting mark into the picture. THAT ISN'T EVEN BAD

2. He averages more rebounds than Gallo. Yet another obvious reason as to why this is. GALLO CAMPS OUT ON THE WING. Gallo has taken the 2nd most three point attempts in the NBA this season (after Jameer Nelson), so you don't see Gallo down in the post or slashing to the basket often. On the contrary, Wilson's role on this team is too literally take it to the basket whenever he gets the ball. That leads to second chance points and rebounds from Gallo, Duhon, and Harrington's chucked up threes that Gallo doesn't get the chance to put back up. Not to mention Will guards the best player on defense (Kobe, LeBron, ect.) so he finds himself around the basket for loose rebounds way more often then the finesse player in Gallo.

3. Assists. This is the most obvious one. WILSON PLAYS SG ON THIS TEAM. He handles the ball much more than Gallo (and much more than he should be handling the ball at all), opening up more chances to sneak a pass in for an assist. Will makes plays with the ball in his hands, opposed to coming off screens and getting open like Gallo. So obviously Will is going to have more assists per game when he controls the ball much more.

Their stats don't tell the story. Not by a long shot. I think the majority of people on this site would agree with me when I say that we would rather have Gallo as a 3rd option than Will. Will is a great player and will have a great career as a role player, but he is too good of a trade chip to not use. Especially with our potential log jam at SF next year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
**** trading Chandler. Trade Gallo first. Willy C has improved constantly. The last 2 seasons have been perfect for his development going in to our biggest restructuring off season in a long time.

You can guarantee Gallo's bad back flares up again too.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
**** trading Chandler. Trade Gallo first. Willy C has improved constantly. The last 2 seasons have been perfect for his development going in to our biggest restructuring off season in a long time.

You can guarantee Gallo's bad back flares up again too.
What about Will's injuries? The reason the thread was created originally was to talk about his injuries...

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
No it doesn't...those grammatically incorrect flop of irrelevant stats has nothing to do with the comparison of Gallo and Will.

They have completely different roles!

If you want me to explain every single statistically difference you just brought forward, then here, I'll be your guest.

1. Gallo has a lower field % (not a "less" field goal %). Is this stat blunder really that hard for you to figure out? Gallo plays MORE minutes and takes MORE shots. Not to mention he has also played in far MORE games than Will has. So obviously his field goal % is going to be lower. And this whole field goal % argument is irrelevant when you bring Gallo's impressive 43% shooting mark into the picture. THAT ISN'T EVEN BAD

2. He averages more rebounds than Gallo. Yet another obvious reason as to why this is. GALLO CAMPS OUT ON THE WING. Gallo has taken the 2nd most three point attempts in the NBA this season (after Jameer Nelson), so you don't see Gallo down in the post or slashing to the basket often. On the contrary, Wilson's role on this team is too literally take it to the basket whenever he gets the ball. That leads to second chance points and rebounds from Gallo, Duhon, and Harrington's chucked up threes that Gallo doesn't get the chance to put back up. Not to mention Will guards the best player on defense (Kobe, LeBron, ect.) so he finds himself around the basket for loose rebounds way more often then the finesse player in Gallo.

3. Assists. This is the most obvious one. WILSON PLAYS SG ON THIS TEAM. He handles the ball much more than Gallo (and much more than he should be handling the ball at all), opening up more chances to sneak a pass in for an assist. Will makes plays with the ball in his hands, opposed to coming off screens and getting open like Gallo. So obviously Will is going to have more assists per game when he controls the ball much more.

Their stats don't tell the story. Not by a long shot. I think the majority of people on this site would agree with me when I say that we would rather have Gallo as a 3rd option than Will. Will is a great player and will have a great career as a role player, but he is too good of a trade chip to not use. Especially with our potential log jam at SF next year.

1. Gallinari doesn't shoot 43% from the field. He shoots 42.6%, at 6'10. That's a terrible field goal percentage, for a guy his size. Look up players who are 6'8 or taller, and see how many you can find that shoot below 43%. And don't find players who rarely get playing time. Find players who are big parts of their team's rotations and are 6-8 and taller.
2. You made lots and lots and lots of excuses for Gallinari. The fact that you had to make so many excuses for him shows that Gallinari has had a subpar season.
3. Gallinari was drafted at #6. Chandler is producing more than Gallinari, and he was drafted at #21. These are facts.
4. You admitted that Gallinari camps out in the wing. The fact that a 6'10 player is not trying to go inside is a problem.
5. Gallinari doesn't take more shots than Chandler, so that statement is void. Chandler took 850 shot attempts this season, and Gallinari took 704.
6. Chandler gets more minutes than Gallinari, so that other statement of yours is also void.
7. If you honestly would like Gallinari as the 3rd option on the Knicks then you must really want the Knicks to lose.

nk11

Benchwarmer
I like wilson but i feel like his skillset is very expendable especially if we're looking to acquire an elite wing player in this or next off season. Gallo (as shitty as he's been playing) has a higher ceiling as a shooter to compliment a star player.

for chandler to score he needs to hold the ball for a good 8 seconds himself, and no superstar in this league is gonna let that rock especially not from chandler. i feel like he has a lot of potential as an elite perimeter defender because of his length and athleticism(obvs not now, hes prob better in the post now anyway) .

id def love to package him in a trade for a bigman, or pg of the future. having both gallo and will messes up the rotation with a star wing...one of them has to go, and the way dantoni sucks off gallo...will is gone.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
What about Will's injuries? The reason the thread was created originally was to talk about his injuries...
Yeah but it's nagging injuries v season ending/career threatening ones. A groin injury isn't half as debilatating as a back injury. That's always been my chief reservation about Gallo. That ontop of his slumps and inconsistency AND his love of lingering on that dog fence 3 point line would have me trading him before Chandler no worries.

We can get ourselves an arc junkie anywhere.

And to literally add insult to injury, I just don't see his ball IQ as even remotely high. It's either drive with his head down or Jack a brick.

Defensively, I like him. He's doing well.

If Chandler can play through 6 weeks of his groin injury, then it clearly isn't something that'll hinder him long term.

Last edited:

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Sorry NYKnUniversity and NYK_NYK but I'm big time with ABCD on this one...

IMO you kinda argued against yourself with points you made. Assists may be right cuz Will does play as a guard often and gets more penetration, but 43% is def not a good shooting percentage and reflects a relatively poor shot selection on the part of Gallo. Camping out on the wing resulting in less rebounds is a pisspoor excuse for a 6'11 guy, you may be correct but that just addresses the fact that he needs to get his weak ass down low some to help out. He looked like a scrawny little kid against Garnett and Mendick Jerkins tonight.

I think Gallo can develop to be good but hes been bad much more than good these days, he's had a couple good games but overall been mainly a nonfactor lately. Wilson even if you say is inconsistent, has more impact on a "bad" night that Gallo usually has. I think Wilson is aggressive by the way, but needs to become more consistently aggressive, but he's a very young player still, I guess you can want him to be a cocky dick that wants to be a one man show, but that's not what I'd want to root for anyhow. I don't know why people seem to think we can't use both Will and Gallo, I think they are completely different players. Gallo is soft with good skills for a tall guy, good shot making potential and great range, Will is a slasher with some muscle and toughness, Gallo plays small for his size, Will plays big for his. Seems like good compliments to me

KBlack25

Starter
1. Gallinari doesn't shoot 43% from the field. He shoots 42.6%, at 6'10. That's a terrible field goal percentage, for a guy his size. Look up players who are 6'8 or taller, and see how many you can find that shoot below 43%. And don't find players who rarely get playing time. Find players who are big parts of their team's rotations and are 6-8 and taller.

Andrea Bargnani is 7' tall and is a career 43% field goal shooter, including 42.7% his rookie year and an abysmal 38.6% his sophomore year. Even Dirk, his first two years in the league, shot 40.5% and 46% from the field.

I get your point, but the fact is a lot of these guys out of Europe are taught to be wing players. Height has become essentially an irrelevant standard in the European game, almost all the guys (with the exception of PGs) you see come out are jump-shooting perimeter players, whether they are 6'8 or 7'1. I understand you want Gallo to be more of an inside presence...so do I. But the fact is these European guys aren't taught to play the inside game...they are taught a game of outside jump shooting (and of team defense, which explains why many of these European guys are bad one-on-one defenders). I know what you are trying to say, I'm just saying to expect the things you are looking for out of Gallinari is, to me, like asking a center to be a great ballhandler. Gallinari is not a low post player, period. He just hasn't been taught that game, and it may never come.

To me, Gallo needs help on his footwork. Look at what Dirk does in the high post...he's slow as shit, but his footwork is infallible. He rarely beats people with power, speed and his height. He beats them with incredible footwork and a pretty good jump shot. It just takes a while for these guys to adjust. I think Gallo needs someone to work on his footwork so that he can out-maneuver guys in the high post. The kid DOES have a jumpshot...he just needs some things fixed in his all around game (a la the footwork).

As of today, Gallo has been a disappointment. But then again, two years in (if you want to say Gallo is a sophomore, even though I don't) so was Andrea Bargnani, and now he is a pretty decent contributor on a team in the thick of the playoff race. Once Gallo harnesses the weapons he has, and learns the high post better, he can be a weapon. But until then, he is what he is.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
2. You made lots and lots and lots of excuses for Gallinari. The fact that you had to make so many excuses for him shows that Gallinari has had a subpar season.
3. Gallinari was drafted at #6. Chandler is producing more than Gallinari, and he was drafted at #21. These are facts.
4. You admitted that Gallinari camps out in the wing. The fact that a 6'10 player is not trying to go inside is a problem.
5. Gallinari doesn't take more shots than Chandler, so that statement is void. Chandler took 850 shot attempts this season, and Gallinari took 704.
6. Chandler gets more minutes than Gallinari, so that other statement of yours is also void.
7. If you honestly would like Gallinari as the 3rd option on the Knicks then you must really want the Knicks to lose.
1. 42.6 and 43...they never taught you to round up at this same school that didn't teach grammar (ABCD...the irony). For a guy taking more than 14 shots a game, I'd say 43 is decent. He was shooting 46 (45.5 sorry) going in to March which is pretty damn good. Good enough to get league recognition and an invite to the 3-Point Shootout

2. How are any of those excuses? It's fact. His role is to be a spot up shooter away from the basket, while Wilson's game revolves around slashing. It's not an excuse...it's a fact. He plays close to the rim, Gallo doesn't. Not because he doesn't want to, but because it's not his role...

3. Depends what you mean by production...according to ESPN's John Hollinger, Chandler puts up a measly 13.85 PER rating...significantly lower than Gallo's 14.57. Both are below the league average of 15...So the efficiency argument is pretty useless even if you were right. Gallo is more efficient so unfortunately for you, those aren't facts. These are.

Chandler:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=3194

Gallo:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=3428

4. It may be a problem in your opinion, but obviously not in our coachs'. I'm sure part of Gallo's development will be to develop that inside game, but right now it isn't his role. Not to mention the fact that he HAS this potential to develop a post game with his size gives him an edge over Will.

5. He may take more shots, but even with the lower field goal percentage, Gallo is more offensively efficient. Gallo has a better TRUE shooting % than Will does (53.4 compared to Gallo's 57.7). I may have been wrong about the total number of shots, but there is no denying that Gallo is the more productive shooter.

6. Void it then. It doesn't change the fact that Will's production is less than Gallo's.

7. I would NOT want Gallo as the 3rd option for the Knicks. But i'd sure as hell want Gallo as my 3rd option if Chandler was the only other choice. If Gallo can stay healthy, he has Bargnani or even Dirk potential.

Last edited:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Andrea Bargnani is 7' tall and is a career 43% field goal shooter, including 42.7% his rookie year and an abysmal 38.6% his sophomore year. Even Dirk, his first two years in the league, shot 40.5% and 46% from the field.

I get your point, but the fact is a lot of these guys out of Europe are taught to be wing players. Height has become essentially an irrelevant standard in the European game, almost all the guys (with the exception of PGs) you see come out are jump-shooting perimeter players, whether they are 6'8 or 7'1. I understand you want Gallo to be more of an inside presence...so do I. But the fact is these European guys aren't taught to play the inside game...they are taught a game of outside jump shooting (and of team defense, which explains why many of these European guys are bad one-on-one defenders). I know what you are trying to say, I'm just saying to expect the things you are looking for out of Gallinari is, to me, like asking a center to be a great ballhandler. Gallinari is not a low post player, period. He just hasn't been taught that game, and it may never come.

To me, Gallo needs help on his footwork. Look at what Dirk does in the high post...he's slow as shit, but his footwork is infallible. He rarely beats people with power, speed and his height. He beats them with incredible footwork and a pretty good jump shot. It just takes a while for these guys to adjust. I think Gallo needs someone to work on his footwork so that he can out-maneuver guys in the high post. The kid DOES have a jumpshot...he just needs some things fixed in his all around game (a la the footwork).

As of today, Gallo has been a disappointment. But then again, two years in (if you want to say Gallo is a sophomore, even though I don't) so was Andrea Bargnani, and now he is a pretty decent contributor on a team in the thick of the playoff race. Once Gallo harnesses the weapons he has, and learns the high post better, he can be a weapon. But until then, he is what he is.
Couldn't agree more.

His potential alone offers more than Will has to offer.

I love Will, and his game. However, Gallo is a special player that you rarely find.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Indeed, the biggest plus of having Gallinari is that he's got a set of skills that very few other players have. He's a 6'10 player with a good outside shot - how many of those do you know?

Plus you have to remember Chandler has had two additional years compared to Gallinari. Gallinari barely played last year, and in his first year he's playing better than Wilson did in his first year. When Gallinari is three years in, then we'll talk about whether or not he's lived up to his potential.

clumsy

Rotation player
Chandler is a nice roleplayer....his mediocre offense is made up for his D. I'd say he's a solid NBA player no matter what team he is on.

And What?!?!?!?!? Gallo's skill set is special? hahahahaha that is pretty funny.

You can find any Euro bigman with his skill set. My biggest gripe with him is that he's 1 dimensional in the NBA. Now that could be because our team sucks, but it could be because he's passive like chandler.

Unless he scores 20 to 25 pts a game, he's pretty much useless to me. I never think he will be good at D except for a block here or there. I would definitely trade him at this point, i think the experiment is over.