The Official "Knicks Summer of 2010" Prediction Thread.

bfab99

Benchwarmer
3 more months and we'll find out if the 2 year plan of tanking seasons for the future that Walsh and Dantoni brought here will be a success. Basically this is fun thread to find out what KO.com posters REALLY THINK will happen this summer. I know I should wait until the season is over for this thread, but that's lame and no fun. Plus we'll get more replies in this thread if we have a lot of time before July 2010. So I'm making the thread now (let's see how many of us gets it right). What DO YOU THINK? Who are the players that we are gonna get this summer? Who are the TWO players we will give big contracts to?

Don't gotta respond right away. You can think about it really carefully. That's what I'm doing lol. :gony:

thanos87

Rookie
My prediction

Lebron stays with the Cavs. I give 85% that he does.
Bosh goes to Miami either resigns with the Raptors. Both players decisions depend on what they achieve in the Playoffs.
We get Amare Stoudemire on a max contract.
Then we sign Joe Johnson. And at last we resign Lee.
Douglas, Gallinari stay. Cant decide about McGrady-if he is worth resigning
Rodriquez, Walker, Chandler, Curry, Giddens and our two 2nd round draft picks are all tradable so we fill up the squad.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
My prediction

Lebron stays with the Cavs. I give 85% that he does.
Bosh goes to Miami either resigns with the Raptors. Both players decisions depend on what they achieve in the Playoffs.
We get Amare Stoudemire on a max contract.
Then we sign Joe Johnson. And at last we resign Lee.
Douglas, Gallinari stay. Cant decide about McGrady-if he is worth resigning
Rodriquez, Walker, Chandler, Curry, Giddens and our two 2nd round draft picks are all tradable so we fill up the squad.
Not enough money to sign Lee, Stoudamire and JJ.

Red

TYPE-A
Since when was Walsh's plan "to tank two seasons"?

I've never read that. Getting under the cap for flexability was one thing.

Tanking a term used for intentionally losing was NEVER mentioned.

I take real issue with this mis-use of words- which I may add was also used by Marc Berman of the post today.

Why... you ask? Because tanking means we INTENTIONALLY lost games and paints a different picture than reality.

All you have to ask is... why tank with no draft pick? No... that's not it, is was Mike D underachieving and exposed!

That said... my prediction is I don't give a f*ck!

If Walsh or we support this mistake... it won't matter who we get. In fact when we don't land who we really want- I would like all the excuse makers try and justify why it wasn't due directly to the mistake(s) of Coach D'Antoni.

I'm looking forward to that- the spin doctoring on D'antoni's reputation.

NYKing

Rookie
My bets for the summer...

Lebron & Bosh = Knicks

Wade & Boozer = Heat

Lee & Harrington = Nets

Gay = Cavs (substitute Lebron)

Nowitisky = Mavs

Stat = Suns

Joe Johnson = Hawks

Manu = Spurs

1?pick Wall = Warriors

2?pick Turner = Wolves

3?pick Favors = Nets

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Well i'm pretty sure your wrong...because we have renounce Lee's bird rights if we want to sign 2 max contracts.

You are basically right. If we retain Lee's Bird Rights, it will cost us $10.5 mil against our cap space (1.5*final year salary). That would leave us approx $5 mil in cap space after 1 max is signed.

But, if we retain Lee's Bird Rights, we can go over the cap to sign him. So we can sign 1 max for $16 mil, fill the roster with approx $5 mil, then go over the cap to resign Lee, or sign-and-trade him for the 2nd max.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
You are basically right. If we retain Lee's Bird Rights, it will cost us $10.5 mil against our cap space (1.5*final year salary). That would leave us approx $5 mil in cap space after 1 max is signed.

But, if we retain Lee's Bird Rights, we can go over the cap to sign him. So we can sign 1 max for $16 mil, fill the roster with approx $5 mil, then go over the cap to resign Lee, or sign-and-trade him for the 2nd max.
Yeah. i dont see donnie retaining Lee especially after the balls he showed at the trade deadline. We're going all in for 2 max players

thanos87

Rookie

thanks
is there actually a link that i can read about all this stuff- salary cap, exceptions etc
i am from greece and people dont really know about the cap rules

I say we resign DLee for 9,000,000 then of course we go for LeBron for the Most we can offer him. then if we cant get LBJ we get Bosh. Then with the remaining dough we resign Bill Walker, Sergio Rodriguez, sign JR Giddens to a minimum contract for two years, offer Tmac 2.5 mill and if he takes it thats great, if not adios.

so if we get Bosh our starters will be..........

PG: Toney Douglas
SF: Danilo Gallinari
SG: Bill Walker
PF: David Lee
C: Chris Bosh

If we get LeBron

PG: Toney Douglas
SF: LeBron James
SG: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: (Maybe use Lee or curry or our draft pick)

then next year when Currys contract expires we use his 12 mill to get Carmelo Anthony or chris paul in

bfab99

Benchwarmer
I'm convinced that Lebron James will be a Knick. That's the first part of my prediction. Lebron James GOES to the Knicks. Cavs won't win the title this year. It's either Magic or one of them top western teams.

The part that I am not sure yet is wether we're gonna resign David Lee or not. Does Lebron really prefer to play alongside with Bosh? Does he think highly of David Lee's game? Would he be convinced if we told him that David Lee will be a cheaper player than Bosh, thus enabling us to hav more money to get the necessary pieces needed to win a championship?

That right there might just come down to guessing this summer. Who really knows? LOL

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
This is the closest to an off-season thread I could find, so....

I would trade douglas, curry and $cash$ to move up to the mid first round, maybe into the lottery. So many great players will be available in the draft, we need to make moves so that we can acquire one.

smokes

Huge Member
This is the closest to an off-season thread I could find, so....

I would trade douglas, curry and $cash$ to move up to the mid first round, maybe into the lottery. So many great players will be available in the draft, we need to make moves so that we can acquire one.

Rather trade Curry + Chandler or Gallo and move way up into lottery or top 4. We don't need this many SFs but we do need Toney Douglas backcourt defense and clutch offense. But is an expiring and a 15/5 SF gonna be enough to move up that far? Hmm...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Alright, I'm going insane with this, but who knows it just might work.

1. Sign LeBron James to a max contract
2. Sign Chris Bosh to a near-max contract
3. Trade Eddy Curry, Wilson Chandler, and Toney Douglas to the Hornets for Emeka Okafor and Darren Collison (pipe dream, yeah). It's a pipe dream but I think the Hornets might actually seriously consider this one since first of all they still have CP3 so they could part with Collison and second of all Emeka Okafor's contract is gigantic and there are few teams in the NBA that would assume his contract, so..

PG - Collison
SG - LeBron James (I'm convinced he can play SG).
SF - Danilo Gallinari
PF - Chris Bosh
C - Emeka Okafor

Bench

p0nder

Starter
My prediction is the Cav's don't win the title this year, and Lebron signs with the knicks.

The knicks work a sign and trade deal with the raptors. lee to them for Bosh.

We resign McGrady.

We also have gallo and some decent & cheap guard options in Walker, Toney D and S-Rod. Couple of second rounders + scraps to round out the team. But with gallo+t-mac+lebron+bosh i think we have an instant championship caliber team. Might not be that first year, as they mesh and young players get their first real taste of the playoffs. But certainly the year after when curry is off the books and we can bring in even more talent.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Ugh,

My prediction?

LeBron stays, Wade stays, Bosh goes elsewhere for more money.
Worst case scenario is Yao Ming comes to NY, but I'm sure he'll stay in Texas. (If not the Rockets)

Lee or Boozer will probably resign for a boatload of cash. Joe Johnson will be an overpaid Knick with limited minutes, and either Shaq or Brad Miller will get strung along and injure themselves early and be the new "Eddy Curry" of the team.

I'm hoping a big name does come over. I expect them to be tempting names like 'Melo or Pietrus or even high-profile role-players like Battier or Dunleavy or Glen Davis (because Boston probably doesn't want to lose Perkins).

Don't have much of a positive outlook for the Summer of '10 -- the Summer of '11 looks better.

bfab99

Benchwarmer
I think we will re-sign David Lee. We'd be ****ing dumb not to. After Lee's 37 points, 20 rebs, 10 asts performance against the Warriors, I'm convinced that we'll resign Lee.

Lee + Lebron + Needed Pieces = 2011 Championship! Yeah?

MY hope for 2010 are -

option A -

TD/Draft pick/ or Duhon at the vet min???
Lebron/A.Morrow
Gallo/Chandler/Walker
Lee/Chandler/Draft
Camby/Draft pic/Curry till we trade him for???

No $$$ left over

Option B

TD/same as above
J.Johnson/A.Morrow
Gallo/Chandler/Walker
Lee//Chandler/Draft
Camby/same as above

Also would still have $$$ left over

With either one of those line-ups I'd love to trade Eddy Curry's fat ass to N.O. for ........ wait for it....... CHRIS PAUL! He would put us atop the east no matter witch line up he was with above! I know its only a dream , but dam that would be sweet! Paul dishing to a spotted up Gallo or J.Johnson or A.Morrow, or he could be throwing oops to Lebron or Lee or Chandler and Camby, of course that's when he's not getting his own :) hahaha. ahhhhh now that would be the cats ass!