Anthony: 'Who wouldn't want to play in NY?'

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
For Anthony, this lone New York trip per season always has gravity ? he played college ball upstate at Syracuse, a lot of his family still lives in the New York area and, basically, this is the big stage. Melo scored a game-high 36 points, but after the game he was clearly affected by the loss ? he kept the New York media waiting nearly 40 minutes while he meticulously showered and dressed in the training room, digesting the reality of what happened.
When Anthony came out, he talked about the gall of Gallinari, who was trash-talking with the all-star. And he also discussed the not-so-ambiguous comments Knicks president Donnie Walsh made to the New York Post, suggesting that even though the Knicks have money to spend this summer, they are looking at rebuilding over the next couple years ? and Melo could be available after 2011.
"I really don't know what's going to happen the next year," Anthony said. "I don't know what's going to happen. But I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to play here in New York."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14744692#ixzz0j6kfx2U3

d9a7bc2f7e71dc959096d9e720b68d49-getty-90044141nb004_nuggets_knicks_nb001_rockets_knicks.jpg

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Fair enough he's a New Yorker, but doesn't it seem a little suspect that he's out right questioning why a player wouldn't want to play in the Apple?

Am I reading in to it too much after months of LBJitis here on ko.com? It's easy to misinterpret such things, but it adds excitement to the resurgence of "preying for Lebron next season" considering it comes from one of his good friends.

knicksin60

Starter
If Dwayne Wade think that he could win a championship with Amare Stoudemire as his center, he must be smoking.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Fair enough he's a New Yorker, but doesn't it seem a little suspect that he's out right questioning why a player wouldn't want to play in the Apple?

Am I reading in to it too much after months of LBJitis here on ko.com? It's easy to misinterpret such things, but it adds excitement to the resurgence of "preying for Lebron next season" considering it comes from one of his good friends.
I think he's made it clear he would LIKE to play in New York, just as anyone else in the NBA would. However, I don't feel that he'll opt out of his situation in Denver for a few reasons:

1. He has a player option for 2011. If Denver is still winning with him as the main option then why not stay in a good situation?

2. Denver is going to be good for years to come. Even after Billups is past his prime, they have an up and coming team with Lawson, J.R. Smith, Birdman, Nene and Afflalo. All those guys are young, and they will be tough to beat for a while

3. The lockout threat. In 2011, the NBPA will threaten a lockout if the new CBA is too "owner-friendly". This makes free agency a bit scary for any player who wants to test the market because the free agency market might turn to s*** under the CBA agreement.

I think every player in the NBA would like to come to NYC. It is the Mecca after all. However, other things need to work out before a player can join the Knicks and I see too many things holding Melo' back from being a future Knick.

On a side note...why are people so excited about the 2011 free agency class? The new CBA is going to be a real threat to potential free agents with player options, and even team options if a player is being held at a reasonable price. People on our site have discussed saving up for 2011 when it actuallity we traded away a valuable 2011 trade chip in Jared Jeffries. Unless we make some deals to send out Gallo or Will, and only sign one max this year we aren't even looking at enough to offer a max for 2011 anyway. At best, we'll be able to pick up a solid defensive player in 2011 with the money left over from Curry's contract, but I do not see any reason to believe a star is coming to NYC in 2011.

hold up your saying smith who is what he is , nene who relies solely on other play makers to make him better, and ty lawson are the pedigree for a championship team

people seem to forget

this team was no where near a contender until billups came along, the team turned the corner quick fast upon his arrival and that is the one and only factors. Anthony will come into 2011 look at the knicks who will be vastly improved as of 2010 and say, do I wait it out with an aging billups and a coach who may never hit the side lines again, or do I become crowned king of NY for the rest of my career.

EVen if LBJ comes to NY, Carmelo would be bigger than pippen side kicking jordan, it would be similar to Shaq and Kobe in terms of who really is the better player, and if LBJ cant see the writing on the wall after carmelos comment, then his lame ass can stay in CLV and watch his legacy fade faster than shaq and big Z's knees.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
hold up your saying smith who is what he is , nene who relies solely on other play makers to make him better, and ty lawson are the pedigree for a championship team

people seem to forget

this team was no where near a contender until billups came along, the team turned the corner quick fast upon his arrival and that is the one and only factors. Anthony will come into 2011 look at the knicks who will be vastly improved as of 2010 and say, do I wait it out with an aging billups and a coach who may never hit the side lines again, or do I become crowned king of NY for the rest of my career.

EVen if LBJ comes to NY, Carmelo would be bigger than pippen side kicking jordan, it would be similar to Shaq and Kobe in terms of who really is the better player, and if LBJ cant see the writing on the wall after carmelos comment, then his lame ass can stay in CLV and watch his legacy fade faster than shaq and big Z's knees.
Those are valid points, and Carmelo and Bron would be great together. However, the REAL writing on the wall is that Melo will not be a Knick in 2011. I've stated my reasoning 100 other times in previous posts, but the gist of it is that the new CBA, along with Denver's current position as a franchise indicate that Melo would be a fool to test the free agency market. There could be a lockout for god's sake.

As for your opinion on Denver's nucleus...well most of those points I do not agree with. Since when does Nene need others to make him better? I've witnessed Nene manhandle Pau Gasol on the block in person, and his stats speak for themselves; he's a player. There point about Chauncey is irrelevant considering the REAL gem of that trade was ridding of Allen Iverson and his ability to suck the life out of the Nuggets. Also, the Nuggets didn't even have Ty Lawson when they were a 1-and-done team. Denver's core is undeniably solid.

Although I'd love to have Melo, the REAL writing on the wall states otherwise.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
EVen if LBJ comes to NY, Carmelo would be bigger than pippen side kicking jordan, it would be similar to Shaq and Kobe in terms of who really is the better player,

Carmelo would be bigger than Pippen side kicking Jordan?Possibly.

But it is not similar to Shaq and Kobe in terms of who really is the better player. Kobe and Shaq played different positions, so it was sometimes not clear who was the "better" player. Shaq used to say that Kobe was the best player in the league with the caveat that he was the most dominating player in the game.

But LeBron James & Carmelo are both 6'8" forwards and it is completely clear who the better player is.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I had an interesting conversation with Carmelo Anthony regarding which team LeBron James will play for next season.
Me: "If you're LeBron, do you go to New York for the money and the fame?"
Melo: "He's already got that. He's already got the money and the fame. I think the only thing weighing in right now is the championship."
Me: "You know him better than a lot of people (and share the same agent and shoe company) ? is the championship the deciding factor for him?"
Melo: "If he feels that he can win a championship in Cleveland, then he will stay. The team in Cleveland is that much better than the team in New York."
Me: "Has he already made a decision?"
Melo: "No. Not at all, not at all, not even close."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/c...um=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter#ixzz0jWYCv4Jk

everyone's on Anthony now after the NY comment.

Kiyaman

Legend

Great Point!
Melo have to stay neutral but like able on all sides b/c he want his FA market next season to be like Lebron, Wades, and Bosh. So he gives a question that could be answered from two-sides.

u read it like I read it....there is alot of reasons for a star FA to sign with the Knicks, but there also is a heluva alot of reasons why a star FA will not sign with the Knicks. Having other options is one.

Carmelo's comments from now untill the 2011 offseason will always be "PT" talk.....talk to get as many teams as possible to go after 2011 cap-space for the FA market of "Melo & CP3"

How will the Playoffs affect the 2010 FA market???

nk11

Benchwarmer
if lebron doesnt come to ny this summer, which is most probably whats gonna happen. i feel like melo would love the opportunity to bust his ass in the playoffs as a knick the year after. by that time the knicks should be a playoff team:)crossfingers:), and i doubt with billups getting older every game hes gonna be able to get past the lakers in the west anytime soon.

lebron>melo

but

lebron and the cavs<<<<melo with another max player, dLEE and a developed knicks roster.

plus i def dont want lebron dancing around looking mad gay an shit at the garden -_-

Kiyaman

Legend
okay, for the last time, CP3 is NOT a free agent in 2011. tony parker is a possibility that year, but not chris paul.

u are absolutely right, CP3 player option is in 2012 (worth 18M per).
While Melo player option is 2011 (worth 18.5M per).

The decision to give-up your final contract pay (player-option) at those prices.....there have to be alot of teams with plenty of cap space to make a pay raise decision like that.

Melo's question would be bonafide "But I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to play here in New York", if the Knicks had traded for veteran experience Kurt Thomas to boost up Lee's performance like he did for Bogut on the defensive end, plus if the Knicks wouldve hired headcoach Scott Skiles (instead of Damntoni) so our selection in the draft wouldve been "Lopez & Jennings", so both of our rookies would've been in the top-3 for ROY.
Headcoach Skiles tour with the Chicago Bulls has taught him very well to become an above-average headcoach in developing young players from H.S. or college to become NBA players.
With an elite young roster that have nothing but praise for their headcoach....I too would say with strong optimistic interest, "But I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to play here in New York"...