Breaking Down Danilo Gallinari's offensive game

Oldtimer

Rotation player
More About Gallo

From the day Gallinari was drafted I have been one of his biggest supporters on this site, even after just playing in 28 games last season I knew he would be a good pro. He was actually my first and only choice for the 2008 draft. I always felt he wasn't a savior but someone that makes others better and he has shown that in his first two seasons he reminds me a lot of Tony Kukoc. However I do have my concerns about him:

1) After watching more and more from him this season I still feel he hasn't recovered from this back injury.

2) There is absolutely no lift or power in his drives to basket.

3) He still not able to post up 6'3 players in the paint. This is very frustrating to see a 6'11 guy getting slapped around when he goes inside by smaller players.

4) He actually looked better last year, more poise and stable in his movements. This year he just looks horrible and can't finish to save his life at the basket.

I want Gallinari to succeed so bad and I will root for him and still feel he can become a great role player to us, but I just don't think the sky and his reach is that high as some in this site see in him.

Lets go Knicks, can't wait for the 2010-2011 season!

I am with ARod on this although I do not think a bad back is the entire story.

Too many of us get caught up in our argumentative skills. Gallo is what he is and what he may become. It does not make a difference whether he is D'Antoni's godson, a prima donna who demanded New York, a rookie, a sophomore or where he was picked and who else was available. For better or worse we got him.

If all we have is what he has shown so far, he is a real disappointment for all the substantive reasons his detractors have advanced. Those of us who support him, including me, can only point to flashes of very good play and the hope that he grows into a better player. This off season is going to be very important. I will give him at least another year.

On a perhaps related note, last night's game was one of the ugliest I have ever seen. The box score does not give it justice. Five "individuals" played at a time. There was no "teamwork" at all and a ridiculously low number of assists. Nobody passes to anybody, except out of necessity. No one holds his screen. He prefers to make himself open so he can take the shot. I get League Pass and the feed was from Portland. The announcers were openly derisive of the Knicks defense and their penchant to take the first shot available.

I do not see either Douglas or Rodriguez as a distributor. We need a real point guard. We have no center. And, come on, can we really be interested in a 36 year old Camby and a Kyle Korver for the cap space that we gained by dealing Hill and future picks?

jimkcchief88

All Star
Yeah, but it kinda does matter how Gallo got here. If not for Gallo's Godfather D'ant, "the cock" is still in Italy and we have Lopez, Gordon, Augustine, or any of the other picks around Gallo that are performing better. That's why the detractors are upset including me. We have been Knick fans long before D'antoni/Gallo and will be fans long after. While D'ant was sunnin' it up in Phoenix with a great team, we have been putting up with a bad team for an entire decade. Then D'ant is hired as the savior, and the first thing he does is bring in his Godson, who is underperforming. This is the good ole' boys network at its finest, yet you wonder why the NFL has the Rooney Rule. Gallo was sold to not-knowing Knick fans as a finished European pro, and he turned out to be the project any fan with sense knew he was all along.

jimkcchief88

All Star
So you think all Euro players coming into the league should be contributing at a high level immediately?

So you think everybody drafted in this year's lottery not named Steph Curry, Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings are complete busts?

And I'm not saying that draft picks shouldn't be compared. I'm saying giving up on Gallo and calling him a complete bust because who was drafted after him is ridiculous.

My point is that you guys got sold a bill of goods. As soon as I saw Gallo's height and weight, I knew he was a project. There were kids in last nights Mcdonalds game that were more physically imposing than Gallo. Most players coming from Europe need some adjustment to the NBA, SO YOU DON'T WASTE A LOTTERY PICK ON THEM. That is everyones point that you CONTINUE TO MISS.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
My point is that you guys got sold a bill of goods. As soon as I saw Gallo's height and weight, I knew he was a project. There were kids in last nights Mcdonalds game that were more physically imposing than Gallo. Most players coming from Europe need some adjustment to the NBA, SO YOU DON'T WASTE A LOTTERY PICK ON THEM. That is everyones point that you CONTINUE TO MISS.

I get what you're saying, I understand it and in many ways I agree with it. But what you don't seem to understand is that I am arguing to at least give the guy a f*cking chance. You all have written him off as a complete bust just because you don't like D'Antoni.

Don't you think calling Gallo a bust and giving up on him is a little premature? And none of you can say that through your infinite knowledge about baskeball and your uncanny abilities to judge talent, that Gallo is a bust and will never develop into a very good player.

And I've stated this before, Donnie and D'Antoni have publically stated numerous times that Gallo was Donnie's choice from the information he received from his scouts. D'Antoni has stated he did not know much of Gallo's game when he was drafted. So it's ok to like Gallo. You can like Gallo even if you hate D'Antoni.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I get what you're saying, I understand it and in many ways I agree with it. But what you don't seem to understand is that I am arguing to at least give the guy a f*cking chance. You all have written him off as a complete bust just because you don't like D'Antoni.

Don't you think calling Gallo a bust and giving up on him is a little premature? And none of you can say that through your infinite knowledge about baskeball and your uncanny abilities to judge talent, that Gallo is a bust and will never develop into a very good player.

And I've stated this before, Donnie and D'Antoni have publically stated numerous times that Gallo was Donnie's choice from the information he received from his scouts. D'Antoni has stated he did not know much of Gallo's game when he was drafted. So it's ok to like Gallo. You can like Gallo even if you hate D'Antoni.

Fair-enough. If Gallo comes in next year tearing it up, I will take it all back, but for now......

Sknickers

Rookie

So you are implying that teams should not have wasted a pick on pau gasol or dirk nowitzki? A lot of players drafted are projects in my opinion...because everyone can have the ability to develop into better players. Top drafted players are good but they are not stars or superstars yet because they need time to develop into much better players.
Besides Brook Lopez and Eric Gordon play different positions...which impact the game differently. And basketball is a team sport.....so the stats are affected by the team too....getting smaller amount of rebounds does not mean he cannot rebound....david lee is technically the rebounder of the knicks team.
another thing is...being one of the best in the euro league does not mean gallo will not struggle in the NBA....its a different league....its like a student being the best in highschool ..does not mean he will be the best in college because its not the same situation.

what i wrote is just what i think! thanks for reading
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Gallinari has gone 5-19 in the last two games and 1-8 in threes. His game is very predictable at the moment, he can't take people off the dribble and cannot finish at the rim. That is a bad sign when a team takes the 6th overall pick, when Jerryd Bayless, Lopez brothers, Gordon and Augustine have more upside than Gallinari, all were taken after him. Gallo is just an ugly player to watch right now and he just isn't confident out there, if he is just hanging beyond the arc he is not doing his job. This summer he better get stronger and quicker or he will be the next Pavlovic.

Bring in Lebron and Bosh and send his ass to the bench, shit I'm so frustrated seing him so freaking timid and scare when having the opportunity to drive or post up. I want to slam the remote at the tv when I see soft shit from him.

clumsy

Rotation player

I gave my reasons....but actually i think D'Antoni is hurting his development as a player.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I gave my reasons....but actually i think D'Antoni is hurting his development as a player.

You dang right D'antoni is KILLING Gallo's development. I grew up in MO watching a coach named "Stormin" Norm Stewart. Norm was a 2 sport college all All-American(hoops and basketball) and a hall of fame coach at MIZZOU for about 30 years. We loved watching MIZZOU games growing up because if a player took a bad shot, he was coming OUT OF THE GAME at the next stoppage of play. It was hilarious. The bad shot goes up and while the ball is still in the air Norm was getting somebody up off the bench. That's coaching.

D'ant sits there and watches his godson throw up those bricks from 3. You would think because of the personal connection he would take Gallo under his wing and give him some game but no. To let a seven footer sit well outside and go 1-7 from 3 is crazy and does that seven footer no justice. Sometimes any shooter needs a layup or a chipee or a free-throw or two to loosen up the rim for you. But to keep sitting outside from 3 and heaving up bricks shakes your confidence. You have to more aspects to your game. Spreewell was a steaky shooter. But notice when his jumper wasn't falling, he picked up other aspects of his game. He got rebounds, defended, got in the passing lane for a steal and one of those thunder dunks and where he would go the other way hollering. Now all of a sudden his jumper was falling and the 3's were going in. That's game.

But the bottomline is that Mike D'antoni and other NBA coaches are there for X's and O's and game management, not to teach FUNDAMENTALS. Once you hit the NBA ranks, you should have the basics down pat. That's what makes you a PRO. Gallo's coaches in Italy did him a great disservice by not teaching him how to play inside the lane.

I am always suspect of the next big thing from Europe because their game is so much different from our game. Much like MLS all-stars would struggle playing soccer in Europe, European all-stars will ALWAYS have trouble in the NBA. In Europe they run around in their short-shorts and funny lane with 7 footers that think they are point guards. Post play is discouraged because the lane is to small and you can goaltend. So they learn no post game and no toughness, then come here and get the business out on the floor from quicker players with more complete games. Norwitzski and Gasol are the exeptions, not the rules, and Dirk is still looking for a ring while Gasol has one because of KOBE and PHIL.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I'm surprised D'antoni allows Gallo to camp at the three point line so often. Gallo gets fouled so often when he puts the ball to the basket. I just think that Gallo is fatigued, so he'll have one amazing game, and 2-3 average/below average offensive games. With some work in the offseason, Gallo will be a consistent force. I can't wait to see his development during next season.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, as much as I've supported him he REALLY needs to start driving to the basket more so he draws fouls and takes advantage of that amazing free throw shooting of his...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
For those that keep using the excuse to hate Gallo that D'Antoni selected Gallo because he played with his father:

The Knicks have a small contingent here, led by Glen Grunwald, but it is mildly surprising that Walsh is waiting until Thursday to show. The Knicks only have a lottery pick, so it's not like they're trying to decide on someone among the players who are in the drills and games. Walsh will be here to see the lottery picks when they get their physicals and are available for interviews.

Mike D"Antoni isn't showing up at all. I find that interesting, but nearly as interesting as Chad Ford'd latest piece on ESPN.com. Ford has been pairing Danilo Gallinari with the Knicks in his mock drafts, but today he writes "a Suns source swore to me Tuesday night that when they showed D'Antoni tape of Gallinari during the year, he wasn't a fan.

"Mike said he's just not sure the kid has what it takes to make it in the NBA," the source told Ford. "He said he'd be very nervous picking him in the mid-first round. I doubt he's become converted since he joined the Knicks."

Another source made even more compelling argument. "Whether Mike loves him or hates him, Donnie Walsh is making this pick. He's the guy who has to take the heat and he's not going to pass that decision to anyone else. What matters most is whether Donnie likes him."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055?month=4&year=2008

Ok. It's alright. You are allowed to like Gallo. You don't have to hate him because you hate D'Antoni.

jimkcchief88

All Star
For those that keep using the excuse to hate Gallo that D'Antoni selected Gallo because he played with his father:

Ok. It's alright. You are allowed to like Gallo. You don't have to hate him because you hate D'Antoni.

Check my posts in the Mike D'antoni thread. Notice I have been strangely quite about our coach. I think Mike D'antoni needs talented players to play in his system.

But D'ant's connection to Gallo's dad CANNOT be ignored. Now that its plain Gallo ISN'T the finished pro he was supposed to be and was obviously a reach at 6th overall, now the finger pointing begins.... So if D'antoni didn't want Gallo but Walsh picked him anyway, that means our coach and GM aren't on the same page at all get it???? So which one is it????

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Check my posts in the Mike D'antoni thread. Notice I have been strangely quite about our coach. I think Mike D'antoni needs talented players to play in his system.

But D'ant's connection to Gallo's dad CANNOT be ignored. Now that its plain Gallo ISN'T the finished pro he was supposed to be and was obviously a reach at 6th overall, now the finger pointing begins.... So if D'antoni didn't want Gallo but Walsh picked him anyway, that means our coach and GM aren't on the same page at all get it???? So which one is it????

Bingo!! I don't think D'Antoni and Walsh are on the same page when it comes to evaluating, acquiring and playing talent. Hence, why Hill was drafted yet never played, Marbury never played, etc, etc.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo Again

I dug up from nbadraft.net comments by a European scout, Borko Popic, about Gallo. The comments are dated June 17, 2008, which I believe was just prior to the draft and when Gallo was still 19..

These are the comments concerning Gallo's weaknesses:

"A high level European player does not always equal a contributor in the NBA, His body has a ways to go before it will be on the NBA level. Athleticism and explosiveness are just average. Struggles dribbling the ball against physical defenders which hurts even more considering his blow by ability is limited. His secondary moves off the dribble are subpar and he is often forced to shoot offbalance shots. Tends to dribble the ball high and even looks down on it as he is attacking, hurting his court vision and decision making. Has minimal elevation on his jump shot, he is more of a set shooter and his release is very robotic and lacks fluidness. His legs are stiff which makes his movements seem a bit awkward and it takes away from his quickness. While he has good height, he is strictly a perimeter player as he has minimal back to the basket moves and his weak frame also makes him a non threat in the post. His rebounding numbers are only decent for a player in his position getting major minutes. They should be higher. Defensively he is a liability, he gambles too much, plays with his hands down and is undisciplined. Marginal foot speed and a weak body will leave his opponents salivating in excitement to abuse the mismatch."

These are two year old comments. I think Gallo's shot is plenty fluid now, but otherwise the comments are spot on even today. I think he has gotten much better defensively, but there is a lot of current truth to these two year objections about Gallo's capacities.

I remain a believer that with some serious training and physical development in the off season he will improve. But it is going to take an awful lot of improvement to come close to justifying passing on Lopez.