Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 136

Thread: Breaking Down Danilo Gallinari's offensive game

  1. #61
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Gallo only plays good when the spotlight is on him against star players...just like Mike D said " Gallo has to be aggressive and want the ball every night" WHen Gallo doesn't call for the ball he is basically in a fog and doesnt know what to do....especialy in this game against UTAH...Gallo sucked plain and simple and barely tried to drive towards the hoop to draw fouls.

    I don't understand this kid, doesn't he know that he excels when he posts up and drives towards the basket????? He draws a foul almost everytime he drives because defenders play him so close!!! Am I talking Chinese or something?

    What happened to the Gallinari that had 15 fouls shouts in one game? The one who constantly drove towards the hoop which forced defenders to play him back, resulting in open shots that went in.


    Gallo does not know his game and only shows flashes of having a brain....its amazing how great he can play and playing to his strengths and then next game he is doing the exact opposite.

    Is this Mike D's fault?

    What the hell is said to Gallo when he is not drawing fouls and driving? "Gallo just sit on the three point line and let everyone else score, and by the way if you get the ball just jack up a shot or pass it off as if the ball is a hot potato." I feel like someone tells Gallo that quote whenever he has these horrible games where he deos nothing especially on offense.
    +1. Please tell me its poor coaching or a language barrier that cause Gallo to camp out behind the free throw line and heave up those bricks. Harrington is the same size player, but manages to score from all over the floor and shag a couple of boards to boot. Take note Gallo!!!!

  2. #62
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    I am re-posting this for you TRILL because obviously reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. My central criticism of Gallo is that he makes himself SMALLER due to his style of play. Instead of setting up around the elbow or high post where could have a chance to shoot over smaller players or put the ball on the floor against bigs, Gallo camps out at the 3 point line. And just like the last play of the game last night, he can't handle the ball out there. He either rises up and shoot a low percentage jumper(2-10 last night, 1-6 from 3, 9 points in 42 minutes), or gets his rock stripped and taken because he is too tall to protect the ball against guards out on the floor. AGAIN, Gallo will never be a consistent NBA scorer until he develops some sort of low post/midrange game to help when his jumper isn't falling, which is often.
    That's too complicated for some to understand Jim. Obviosly their bb knowledge isn't there...

    Stop beating a dead horse- they don't understand. They're blinded by fandum, a few good games, etc...

    Trying hard to sound intellectual doesn't cover their lack of basketball knowledge- quite a paradox.

  3. #63
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    That's too complicated for some to understand Jim. Obviosly their bb knowledge isn't there...

    Stop beating a dead horse- they don't understand. They're blinded by fandum, a few good games, etc...

    Trying hard to sound intellectual doesn't cover their lack of basketball knowledge- quite a paradox.
    You are right Red, I'll just leave it alone.

  4. #64
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    That's too complicated for some to understand Jim. Obviosly their bb knowledge isn't there...

    Stop beating a dead horse- they don't understand. They're blinded by fandum, a few good games, etc...

    Trying hard to sound intellectual doesn't cover their lack of basketball knowledge- quite a paradox.
    You funny....and not in a good way.

  5. #65
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    I am re-posting this for you TRILL because obviously reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. My central criticism of Gallo is that he makes himself SMALLER due to his style of play. Instead of setting up around the elbow or high post where could have a chance to shoot over smaller players or put the ball on the floor against bigs, Gallo camps out at the 3 point line. And just like the last play of the game last night, he can't handle the ball out there. He either rises up and shoot a low percentage jumper(2-10 last night, 1-6 from 3, 9 points in 42 minutes), or gets his rock stripped and taken because he is too tall to protect the ball against guards out on the floor. AGAIN, Gallo will never be a consistent NBA scorer until he develops some sort of low post/midrange game to help when his jumper isn't falling, which is often. David Lee took a solid low post game and ADDED a midrange jumper to that, making him more effective scorer. Now the bigs have to run at him, making it easier for him get to the rack for high % layups.
    Right, but your opinion is we should stash this guy on the bench and never even allow him to develop that low-post/mid-range game.

    The point is not that he has it, one would be foolish to claim Gallo has a solid low-post game.

    But again, for the 15th time which you and Red have avoided...

    He will never develop such a game if he gets stored on the bench...

    Why are you just looking to quit on this kid rather than even attempting to allow him to develop beyond one year of actual play?

    Your claim fails simply for this one reason: if we do what you say, we basically are forfeiting yet ANOTHER draft pick rather than taking the time to actually let this guy develop...rather than see what he has to offer in more than a year of real NBA play, we just throw our hands up in the air and quit on him...why does that make any sense? What good does quitting on him do? Does it get us Brook Lopez? Does it give us a better option? Does trading Gallinari and his potential get us even 2 cents on the dollar?

    I understand you think he sucks, he is a never-will-be, all that ****. And you are entitled to your opinion. But the fact is we have this guy, we spent a lottery pick on him, and to just throw our hands up and sulk about it does no good. If, by the end of next year, he hasn't shown he is good enough to have consistent minutes on a nightly basis, then fine. But to just quit on this kid after one year of NBA play to me is absolutely ludicrous and beyond explanation.

    Again, to repeat, using your own words...he will never be a consistent scorer until he develops a low post game...but if you had your way he would never even have that chance.

    Your alternative to ditching Gallinari and basically forfeiting another draft pick is a pipe dream of 1) getting Gilbert Arenas' contract voided and 2) signing the hot-headed criminal to a deal that pays him American dollars. Ludicrous.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Did I ever say that Gallo should never play????? Nooooooo. But that game last night 87-87 at the end of three quarters. Gallo is shooting his usual bricks, but D'antoni still plays the "****" the whole 4th quarter and even draws up the that last play for him, and Gallo proceeds to dribble off his foot out-of-bounds for a turnover. Playing time needs to be EARNED, not just given out because you are the coaches' godson. Why do you think the other guys look Gallo off most of the time when he is camped out 25 feet away from the goal???? Should I even mention the lack of defensive balance when your supposed power forward is camped out at the 3 point line instead of closer to the goal to catch or at least rebound. Gallo is second only to Aaron Brooks in 3 point attempts. All those bricks Gallo heaves up directly result in easy points for the other team in the form of long rebounds and runouts that lead to easy layups. C'mon I can't be the only one who knows this stuff....

  7. #67
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Did I ever say that Gallo should never play????? Nooooooo.
    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    get rid of T-mac(has been) and Gallo(never will be) and grab Agent 0. That way we would have a real cold-blooded shooter/scorer than a wanna-be and Agent O can handle the rock as well. Give Will the Thrill Gallo's minutes at 3 and grab a center and roll.
    You were saying?

  8. #68
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Gall0

    I have had high hopes for Gallinari and have not abandoned them entirely, but my confidence in his "potential" and my consequent expectations are diminishing rapidly. Last night's effort was painful to watch. His offensive performance was abysmal. Jimk and Red make some very valid points.

    Gallo's 3 point percentage is dropping precipitously, in part, I believe because most of those shots are contested by players guarding him closely. He must make players pay for close guarding. He has got to improve his handle and develop a post-up and midrange game. He must also get a lot stronger. There is no excuse for two or three rebounds a game.

    I hope that over the summer he does not relax in Milan and enjoy the pasta. He has a lot of work to do.

    Harrington played a great game. But we have an extraordinarily selfish team right now. There are no distributors -- not even Rodriguez. The difference in ball movement between the Knicks and Utah was striking.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:50. Reason: Typo

  9. #69
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I have had high hopes for Gallinari and have not abandoned them entirely, but my confidence in his "potential" and my consequent expectations are diminishing rapidly. Last night's effort was painful to watch. His offensive performance was abysmal. Jimk and Red make some very valid points.

    Gallo's 3 point percentage is dropping precipitously, in part, I believe because most of those shots are contested by players guarding him closely. He must make players pay for close guarding. He has got to improve his handle and develop a post-up and midrange game. He must also get a lot stronger. There is no excuse for two or three rebounds a game.

    I hope that over the summer he does not relax in Milan and enjoy the pasta. He has a lot of work to do.

    Harrington played a great game. But we have an extraordinarily selfish team right now. There are no distributors -- not even Rodriguez. The difference in ball movement between the Knicks and Utah was striking.
    Again, I agree with the sentiments...but to just quit on the kid does the team no good, long or short term.

  10. #70
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Gallo only plays good when the spotlight is on him against star players...just like Mike D said " Gallo has to be aggressive and want the ball every night" WHen Gallo doesn't call for the ball he is basically in a fog and doesnt know what to do....especialy in this game against UTAH...Gallo sucked plain and simple and barely tried to drive towards the hoop to draw fouls.

    I don't understand this kid, doesn't he know that he excels when he posts up and drives towards the basket????? He draws a foul almost everytime he drives because defenders play him so close!!! Am I talking Chinese or something?

    What happened to the Gallinari that had 15 fouls shouts in one game? The one who constantly drove towards the hoop which forced defenders to play him back, resulting in open shots that went in.


    Gallo does not know his game and only shows flashes of having a brain....its amazing how great he can play and playing to his strengths and then next game he is doing the exact opposite.

    Is this Mike D's fault?

    What the hell is said to Gallo when he is not drawing fouls and driving? "Gallo just sit on the three point line and let everyone else score, and by the way if you get the ball just jack up a shot or pass it off as if the ball is a hot potato." I feel like someone tells Gallo that quote whenever he has these horrible games where he deos nothing especially on offense.
    Funny. I just posted these same exact issues on the Knicks vs Jazz game thread.


  11. #71
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    You were saying?
    That senerio would be my dream for NEXT year. A real knockdown shooter instead of a fake one. But while we are STUCK with the **** as you keep pointing out, we might as well coach him up instead of further hinder his development by allowing him to hang out at the 3 point line and heaving up bricks. What star is gonna wanna come and play with a coach's favorite has no concience and a unlimited green light?????
    Last edited by jimkcchief88; Mar 30, 2010 at 11:15. Reason: grammar

  12. #72
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Did I ever say that Gallo should never play????? Nooooooo. But that game last night 87-87 at the end of three quarters. Gallo is shooting his usual bricks, but D'antoni still plays the "****" the whole 4th quarter and even draws up the that last play for him, and Gallo proceeds to dribble off his foot out-of-bounds for a turnover. Playing time needs to be EARNED, not just given out because you are the coaches' godson. Why do you think the other guys look Gallo off most of the time when he is camped out 25 feet away from the goal???? Should I even mention the lack of defensive balance when your supposed power forward is camped out at the 3 point line instead of closer to the goal to catch or at least rebound. Gallo is second only to Aaron Brooks in 3 point attempts. All those bricks Gallo heaves up directly result in easy points for the other team in the form of long rebounds and runouts that lead to easy layups. C'mon I can't be the only one who knows this stuff....
    You make some great points here and it should be obvious to everyone. I'm just surprised the coaching staff doesn't address these issues on a regular basis. If they do it doesn't seem like it.

  13. #73
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Brook Lopez. That's all I have to say.

  14. #74
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Time machines don't exist. That's all I have to say.

  15. #75
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Brook Lopez. That's all I have to say.
    Why such the fascination with Brook Lopez?

    We could have drafted Rudy Fernandez, Aaron Brooks or Marc Gasol instead of Wilson Chandler. How come nobody brings that up?

Similar Threads

  1. I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?
    By DaTPRiNCE in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 417
    Last Post: Dec 04, 2009, 16:37
  2. Nets vs Knicks Official Website including Game Dates
    By keyindabox in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 29, 2009, 02:05
  3. Game 2: Knicks @ 76ers 10/31
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: Nov 01, 2008, 18:36
  4. [Article] Knicks Know About Game 7
    By rady in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 19, 2004, 12:31
  5. Nets Survive Triple Bypass.....
    By frankwilliams in forum NBA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15, 2004, 14:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •