Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 136

Thread: Breaking Down Danilo Gallinari's offensive game

  1. #76
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Not Quitting

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Again,...but to just quit on the kid does the team no good, long or short term.
    I am frustrated with Gallo's inconsistency and see real holes in his game. But I am in full agreement with KBlack. There is no reason to quit on Gallinari. Walsh has said that we have just scratched the surface of his potential play but adds that he has plenty of work to do in the offseason.

    Lets stop complaining about who we could have picked at 6. We picked Gallinari, not Lopez, or Gordon etc. We do not get a do-over. On his good days, Gallo looks promising. On a positive note, he has surprised me with his more than reasonable defense.

    He tends to follow really bad games with good ones. I expect a good one Wednesday night.

  2. #77
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I don't think Gallo is that bad of a player, and I've had to defend him at times to my peeps that said he was a mistake- they believed Jennings was a better pick.

    My issue with him is circumstantial and has to do with our "re-building plans.

    1. We NEEDED (NEED) size in the post- that's not him
    2. He's a SF- we have Chandler and if our plan was to target the "big name Fa's" he's not better than any of them
    3. His handle is weak so he can't be a point forward
    4. If he wasn't projected @ the 3, that means D'Ant wants him to play the 4- which means coach believes he would be a better fit than Lee (because he can shoot from outside) o.k. that's fair but...
    5. Our Fa targets at the 4 are better too (Bosh & Boozer)
    6. If he could play the 4 then why re-sign Lee?
    Basically on a better team he could be a good fit

    On a rebuilding team that wants to do things quickly (as Walsh said) we don't have time to develop the skills he lacks- so why draft him?

    We know why- nepatism.

    That's cool but, then when I hear about his I.Q. & maturity I had to take that with a grain of salt b/c it doesn't show.

    I do see him as a competitor, and that should mean he has pride and will circumvent coach and develop in the off season himself.

    The knock on him is simple- he's good just not what the Knicks needed, now or in the future.

    We as starved fans saw an opportunity to UPGRADE at least 1 position before July and he isn't it (now).

    He won't be better than any FA wing or big or guard we would target with our $ so we can conclude...

    for what seems like lack of planning and thought his pick at six was not MAXIMIZED.

    That's all- at his pick, with our situation, with our targets and current personnel

    he wasn't the best pick we could've made.

    Add to that the fact that now logically some fans have lost "confidence" in our new Front Office and their master plan- due to flubbing the miniscule assets we actually had.

    Thanks.

  3. #78
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    I don't think Gallo is that bad of a player, and I've had to defend him at times to my peeps that said he was a mistake- they believed Jennings was a better pick.

    My issue with him is circumstantial and has to do with our "re-building plans.

    1. We NEEDED (NEED) size in the post- that's not him
    2. He's a SF- we have Chandler and if our plan was to target the "big name Fa's" he's not better than any of them
    3. His handle is weak so he can't be a point forward
    4. If he wasn't projected @ the 3, that means D'Ant wants him to play the 4- which means coach believes he would be a better fit than Lee (because he can shoot from outside) o.k. that's fair but...
    5. Our Fa targets at the 4 are better too (Bosh & Boozer)
    6. If he could play the 4 then why re-sign Lee?
    Basically on a better team he could be a good fit

    On a rebuilding team that wants to do things quickly (as Walsh said) we don't have time to develop the skills he lacks- so why draft him?

    We know why- nepatism.

    That's cool but, then when I hear about his I.Q. & maturity I had to take that with a grain of salt b/c it doesn't show.

    I do see him as a competitor, and that should mean he has pride and will circumvent coach and develop in the off season himself.

    The knock on him is simple- he's good just not what the Knicks needed, now or in the future.

    We as starved fans saw an opportunity to UPGRADE at least 1 position before July and he isn't it (now).

    He won't be better than any FA wing or big or guard we would target with our $ so we can conclude...

    for what seems like lack of planning and thought his pick at six was not MAXIMIZED.

    That's all- at his pick, with our situation, with our targets and current personnel

    he wasn't the best pick we could've made.

    Add to that the fact that now logically some fans have lost "confidence" in our new Front Office and their master plan- due to flubbing the miniscule assets we actually had.

    Thanks.
    Good post. I also don't think Gallinari is a complete bum.

    From what I've seen, he looks like a good role player, but you shouldn't be looking for a good role player at #6.

    #6 is a lottery pick, meaning you should be looking for a player who can make an immediate impact, not a role player that is going to take 4-5 NBA seasons to fully develop his game.

    Brook Lopez and Eric Gordon are outperforming Gallinari.

    Roy Hibbert, Anthony Randolph, Robin Lopez, and Jason Thompson are rebounding and blocking more shots than Gallinari, in less playing time.

    Danilo Gallinari is going to have to prove himself.

    He looks like a robot, on defense, his ball handling is below average, and his shot selection and shot accuracy is poor.

    I don't see him as being worthy of the #6 pick, regardless of whether or not he improves.

    But if he can fix his shot selection and learn some post up moves, he might be a solid role player.

    He reminds of a Channing Frye/Tim Thomas type player, thus far.
    Last edited by abcd; Mar 30, 2010 at 16:47.

  4. #79
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Why such the fascination with Brook Lopez?

    We could have drafted Rudy Fernandez, Aaron Brooks or Marc Gasol instead of Wilson Chandler. How come nobody brings that up?
    My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

    Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

    But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

    When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

    This would have been my ideal situation for the Knicks:

    Isiah hires Ewing as head coach

    Starters
    Marbury-PG
    Crawford-SG
    Chandler-SF
    Lee-PF/C
    Either Lopez or Gasol-C

    Bench
    Nate Robinson-PG/SG
    Richardson (forced to lose weight by Pat)-SF/SG
    Jared Jeffries-PF/C
    Balkman-PF/SF

  5. #80
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    +1. Please tell me its poor coaching or a language barrier that cause Gallo to camp out behind the free throw line and heave up those bricks. Harrington is the same size player, but manages to score from all over the floor and shag a couple of boards to boot. Take note Gallo!!!!
    lol no language barrier....both Gallo and Mike D speak fluent Italian.

    Harrington scores because he drives towards the basket and is a beast in the post....Gallo doesn't even play nearly as aggressive as Harrington on offense. What is a shame is that Gallo playing aggressive is much better than Harrington and Al puts up 20 ppg stats....just imainge if Gallo actually realized that driving towards the basket frees him up soooo much on offense.

  6. #81
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

    Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

    But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

    When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

    This would have been my ideal situation for the Knicks:

    Isiah hires Ewing as head coach

    Starters
    Marbury-PG
    Crawford-SG
    Chandler-SF
    Lee-PF/C
    Either Lopez or Gasol-C

    Bench
    Nate Robinson-PG/SG
    Richardson (forced to lose weight by Pat)-SF/SG
    Jared Jeffries-PF/C
    Balkman-PF/SF

    Brook does not seem like a top center to me....tell me how hes better than gallinari on the overall impact on the teams. NETS with their better talents are doing a lot worse than the KNICKS...and i dont think brook is the athletic center we need for Mike's offense..............just saying...i could be wrong..

    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

  7. #82
    Member nk11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

    Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

    But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

    When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

    This would have been my ideal situation for the Knicks:

    Isiah hires Ewing as head coach

    Starters
    Marbury-PG
    Crawford-SG
    Chandler-SF
    Lee-PF/C
    Either Lopez or Gasol-C

    Bench
    Nate Robinson-PG/SG
    Richardson (forced to lose weight by Pat)-SF/SG
    Jared Jeffries-PF/C
    Balkman-PF/SF

    i would have loved lopez over gallo, lopez is easily a top 5 center in the league for years to come, def the safer pick. but having dantoni as coach he would have benched him till his 3rd year and ruined his development.

    at least he plays gallo bc of nepotism. which, despite being the worst reason to draft someone, could help him develop.

    i think if gallo gains some aggressiveness, gets tougher on both ends, and doesnt camp out behind the arc he could realize his amazing potential. on a good night the guy can go to the line 12 times the way defenders play him.

    im def a gallo fan, but until he plays like an like elite shooting 7 footer(6'10/6'11) dude is a lottery bust.

  8. #83
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

    Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

    But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

    When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

    This would have been my ideal situation for the Knicks:

    Isiah hires Ewing as head coach

    Starters
    Marbury-PG
    Crawford-SG
    Chandler-SF
    Lee-PF/C
    Either Lopez or Gasol-C

    Bench
    Nate Robinson-PG/SG
    Richardson (forced to lose weight by Pat)-SF/SG
    Jared Jeffries-PF/C
    Balkman-PF/SF
    I agree with you somewhat about Lopez. He definitely fills the need for this team more than Gallo but I'm not as certain as you that he will be a great center. I see him being more along the lines of Andrew Bogut. Good to very good...but not elite. I also don't see this as a legitimate reason for hating Gallo and thinking he is a complete bust.

    I like Rudy Fernandez and Aaron Brooks. Both would address the needs of the Knicks more than Chandler. But I don't hate Chandler and think he is a complete bust.

    If Lopez was such a great Center, why are the Nets one of the worst teams in basketball history? The Nets have more talent than the Knicks. And according to everyone D'Antoni is a terrible coach......please explain why?

    And I did mention Marc Gasol could have been drafted instead of Chandler. How come you don't hate Chandler? Both Chandler and Gallo have the same output.

    I think the hate for Gallo is because people hate D'Antoni. And people hate D'Antoni because we are losing. It seems as simple as that. And many are looking for reasons to hate someone and justify their frustration.

    And for those of you that keep falsely spreading the rumor that D'Antoni selected Gallo because he played with his father.....both D'Antoni and Donnie have publically stated numerous times that it was Donnie's choice to pick Gallo, not D'Antoni. D'Antoni did not know much of Gallo's game at all. We desperately needed consistent outside shooting at the time.

    *Edit* Your lineup would be a consistent 1st round knock out in the playoffs and would leave us zero chance at signing a max free agent.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Mar 31, 2010 at 09:46.

  9. #84
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Brooks > Gallinari and will have a better career.....already calling it....Brooks has a ton of post moves, and is pretty good at D.

    Gallinari fell really far in my books.......He's not a bum, but he's tradeable to me at this point. I think D'Antoni actually hurt his development by playing him with Nate and Harrington. Those two used to only pass to each other.

    Also i think Devin Harris, Monta Ellis, Nate Robinson, etc is proving that Combo Guards as PG are getting exposed. Unless you score like a prime AI you do not help your team.

  10. #85
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    With combo guards that have a good center/low post option....i guess you can't include Nate in that discussion.

  11. #86
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Brook Lopez >>>>>>>>>>> Danilo Gallinari
    Eric Gordon > Danilo Gallinari
    Anthony Randolph > Danilo Gallinari
    Jason Thompson > Danilo Gallinari
    Roy Hibbert > Danilo Gallinari
    Robin Lopez > Danilo Gallinari

  12. #87
    Veteran GetRealistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,370
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    Brook Lopez >>>>>>>>>>> Danilo Gallinari
    Eric Gordon > Danilo Gallinari
    Anthony Randolph > Danilo Gallinari
    Jason Thompson > Danilo Gallinari
    Roy Hibbert > Danilo Gallinari
    Robin Lopez > Danilo Gallinari
    There's hate and then theres blind hatred. Do yourself a favor and read LJ's post directly above yours.

    As much as i love Jason Thompson (former teammate of mine) you've got to be crazy to say he's better then Gallo. Roy Hibbert is nothing more then a big body, Robin Lopez is a nice player off the bench, and Anthony Randolph is a headcase with world of potential that hasn't even been given the opportunity to play.

    If you want to say Brook Lopez is better then Gallo that's your opinion and i can see where your coming from. I can also see how you'd think Eric Gordon is better then Gallo but in my personal opinion i think Gallo is Still a rookie, lets not dump him into the sophmore category being as he barely played last season and when he did he played with a bad back. He played in just 28 games and the minutes were sparadic

    Next year will be Gallo's true second year as a pro. So i'd expect the continued maturation of his game. Also All of the players you named have other quality player around them. Gallo has a washed up Tmac and David Lee. I wouldn't classify that as a great supporting cast.

    Gallo's 09-10 STATs his rookie year in my opinion
    14.3ppg 4.8 rpg and 1.5 assists in just 33 minutes a night


    Lopez Rookie Stats
    13 ppg 8 rpg 1 assist in 30 minutes a night

    Robin Lopez Rookie stats
    3 ppg and 2 rebounds

    Anthony Randolph rookie stats
    8 points and 6 boards

    Eric Gordon Rookie Stats
    16 points and 3 assists

    Jason Thompson Rookie Stats
    11 points and 7 boards

    Roy Hibbert Rookie stats
    7 points and 4 boards

    By all accounts Gallos "rookie year" is as good if not better then every player you mentioned. Let's follow the Brook Lopez rookie to second year trend and add those same upward growths to Gallo

    Lopez is averaging 6 more points this season. Adding 6 more to Gallos average would make him a 20.4 ppg scorer.

  13. #88
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Aaron Brooks>>>>Chandler
    Rudy Fernandez>>>Chandler
    Marc Gasol>>>Chandler

    Therefore, I hate Chandler and think Chandler is a complete bust. Yeah, makes sense. *sarcasm*

  14. #89
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Aaron Brooks>>>>Chandler
    Rudy Fernandez>>>Chandler
    Marc Gasol>>>Chandler

    Therefore, I hate Chandler and think Chandler is a complete bust. Yeah, makes sense. *sarcasm*
    Wilson Chandler was a late first round pick. Most people didn't even expect him to average 15 points per game, so your argument is very weak.

    Danilo Gallinari was a top 8 lottery pick. A lot of people compared him to
    Dirk Nowitzki and Andrea Bargnani, so the expectations were high for him.

    However, he hasn't produced. Maybe he'll produce in the future, but he has not played up to par now.

    And as for Rudy Fernandez being better than Wilson Chandler, where do you get that from? Fernandez shoots a woeful 39% from the field.

  15. #90
    The Gold Mac MSGKnickz33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,474
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    Wilson Chandler was a late first round pick. Most people didn't even expect him to average 15 points per game, so your argument is very weak.

    Danilo Gallinari was a top 8 lottery pick. A lot of people compared him to
    Dirk Nowitzki and Andrea Bargnani, so the expectations were high for him.

    However, he hasn't produced. Maybe he'll produce in the future, but he has not played up to par now.

    And as for Rudy Fernandez being better than Wilson Chandler, where do you get that from? Fernandez shoots a woeful 39% from the field.
    lol....lj4ptplay gets sonned

    smh @ him for tryna pull a fast one...hows he gonna bring up Chandler when he was a late first round pick?

Similar Threads

  1. I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?
    By DaTPRiNCE in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 417
    Last Post: Dec 04, 2009, 15:37
  2. Nets vs Knicks Official Website including Game Dates
    By keyindabox in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 29, 2009, 01:05
  3. Game 2: Knicks @ 76ers 10/31
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: Nov 01, 2008, 17:36
  4. [Article] Knicks Know About Game 7
    By rady in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 19, 2004, 11:31
  5. Nets Survive Triple Bypass.....
    By frankwilliams in forum NBA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15, 2004, 13:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •