I don't think Gallo is that bad of a player, and I've had to defend him at times to my peeps that said he was a mistake- they believed Jennings was a better pick.
My issue with him is circumstantial and has to do with our "re-building plans.
1. We NEEDED (NEED) size in the post- that's not him
2. He's a SF- we have Chandler and if our plan was to target the "big name Fa's" he's not better than any of them
3. His handle is weak so he can't be a point forward
4. If he wasn't projected @ the 3, that means D'Ant wants him to play the 4- which means coach believes he would be a better fit than Lee (because he can shoot from outside) o.k. that's fair but...
5. Our Fa targets at the 4 are better too (Bosh & Boozer)
6. If he could play the 4 then why re-sign Lee?
Basically on a better team he could be a good fit
On a rebuilding team that wants to do things quickly (as Walsh said) we don't have time to develop the skills he lacks- so why draft him?
We know why- nepatism.
That's cool but, then when I hear about his I.Q. & maturity I had to take that with a grain of salt b/c it doesn't show.
I do see him as a competitor, and that should mean he has pride and will circumvent coach and develop in the off season himself.
The knock on him is simple- he's good just not what the Knicks needed, now or in the future.
We as starved fans saw an opportunity to UPGRADE at least 1 position before July and he isn't it (now).
He won't be better than any FA wing or big or guard we would target with our $ so we can conclude...
for what seems like lack of planning and thought his pick at six was not MAXIMIZED.
That's all- at his pick, with our situation, with our targets and current personnel
he wasn't the best pick we could've made.
Add to that the fact that now logically some fans have lost "confidence" in our new Front Office and their master plan- due to flubbing the miniscule assets we actually had.