Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 136

Thread: Breaking Down Danilo Gallinari's offensive game

  1. #91
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by GetRealistic
    There's hate and then theres blind hatred. Do yourself a favor and read LJ's post directly above yours.

    As much as i love Jason Thompson (former teammate of mine) you've got to be crazy to say he's better then Gallo. Roy Hibbert is nothing more then a big body, Robin Lopez is a nice player off the bench, and Anthony Randolph is a headcase with world of potential that hasn't even been given the opportunity to play.

    If you want to say Brook Lopez is better then Gallo that's your opinion and i can see where your coming from. I can also see how you'd think Eric Gordon is better then Gallo but in my personal opinion i think Gallo is Still a rookie, lets not dump him into the sophmore category being as he barely played last season and when he did he played with a bad back. He played in just 28 games and the minutes were sparadic

    Next year will be Gallo's true second year as a pro. So i'd expect the continued maturation of his game. Also All of the players you named have other quality player around them. Gallo has a washed up Tmac and David Lee. I wouldn't classify that as a great supporting cast.

    Gallo's 09-10 STATs his rookie year in my opinion
    14.3ppg 4.8 rpg and 1.5 assists in just 33 minutes a night


    Lopez Rookie Stats
    13 ppg 8 rpg 1 assist in 30 minutes a night

    Robin Lopez Rookie stats
    3 ppg and 2 rebounds

    Anthony Randolph rookie stats
    8 points and 6 boards

    Eric Gordon Rookie Stats
    16 points and 3 assists

    Jason Thompson Rookie Stats
    11 points and 7 boards

    Roy Hibbert Rookie stats
    7 points and 4 boards

    By all accounts Gallos "rookie year" is as good if not better then every player you mentioned. Let's follow the Brook Lopez rookie to second year trend and add those same upward growths to Gallo

    Lopez is averaging 6 more points this season. Adding 6 more to Gallos average would make him a 20.4 ppg scorer.
    Your entire stats are flawed. Gallinari is not a rookie. You can say that all you want, but rookies don't have 100 games played, 10 games before the end of the season.

    Gallinari averaged 6.1 points and 2 rebounds, on his rookie season.

    He's averaging an impressive 14 points, only problem is his field goal percentage is a woeful 42%, despite being 6'10 and having a height advantage over most of his opponenets.

    Roy Hibbert, Jason Thompson, Robin Lopez, and Anthony Randolph have better rebounding and shot blocking averages. They also shoot better field goal percentages. They all get less playing time than Gallinari.

    Eric Gordon and Brook Lopez have better numbers than Gallinari, in almost every category.

    Let's take a look:
    -Brook Lopez
    19.1 points on 50.9% fg, 8.9 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 2.2 assists
    -Eric Gordon
    17 points on 44.7% fg, 2.9 assists, 1.1 steals
    -Danilo Gallinari
    14.4 points on 42.2% fg, 1.6 assists, 4.8 rebounds, .8 blocks, 33.2 MPG
    -Jason Thompson
    12.4 points on 46.6% fg, 8.4 rebounds, 1 block, 1.6 assists, 30.8 MPG
    -Anthony Randolph
    11.6 points on 44.3% fg, 6.5 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 22.7 MPG
    -Roy Hibbert
    11.3 points on 49.1% fg, 5.7 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 25 MPG
    -Robin Lopez
    8.4 points on 58.5% fg, 4.9 rebounds, 1 block, 19.3 MPG

  2. #92
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    ABCD has vanquished the darkness of your ignorance with the pure light of truth.

  3. #93
    The Gold Mac MSGKnickz33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,474
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I like Getrealistic but he might be the next Knicks126 and go find another forum to post on....thats assuming that theres no connection between JPZ and knicks126

  4. #94
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    #1. Gallinari is not a rookie, he is a second year player, with, despite having missed a large chunk of the season, has a huge advantage over real rookies: 26 previous-season NBA games, an extra pre-season, numerous opportunities to learn from an NBA staff of players and coaches, etc. Oh, and what happened to the Gallo-was-already-a-professional-in-Europe hype you suscribed to?

    #2. Lopez is already an elite center, putting up all-star numbers. The only thing in the way of his selection to the all-star team was his team's record. I stated, last season, that he would average these number, and I was right. He is amongst the most skilled centers in the league: has an array of post moves, can shoot from 15-20 feet, with ease, and works hard at both ends to assist his wing players. Just the other day, he had two big plays, over Tim Duncan, to lift the Nets over the Knicks.

    #3. Your argument that Brook's accomplishments are nullified by his team's record is proven wrong by the addendum you include, in which you state that he has a better team. He has Devin Harris, who has missed many games due to injury. Every other player on the roster: Humphries, Terence Williams, Douglas-Roberts, Yi (especially), is inexperienced and would normally not even break an NBA team's rotation.

    Gallo, meanwhile, has many players that, even if some are washed up, are still experienced enough (Hughes, Harrington, Robinson, Lee, etc.) to provide him more help than what Lopez's teammates can provide him.

  5. #95
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Danilo Gallinari expressed anger at himself and said he was to blame for the Knicks' loss in Utah on Monday.

    In so doing, the Italian-born player demonstrated a comfort level with English profanity.

    "If I play 42 minutes and I go 1 for 6 from 3, I definitely have to think about this game," Gallinari said. "Im on the court and Im a big part of the offense. So if I shoot the ball bad like that in these type of games tie games, at the end of the game, you look at the shots definitely got to blame myself."

    After exhaling and groaning, he added, "I cannot be like that."

    Gallinari feels confident that his game is expanding beyond just the long-range jump shots he showed last season.

    "But I knew that Im not just a shooter, I can do a lot of stuff. And you know this, you know I can do a lot of stuff," Gallinari said.

    Howard Beck of the New York Times believes that it bodes well for the development of a young player like Gallinari that he is taking so much responsibility this early in his career.

    "Those are the skills that stand out on the court," Beck writes. "But becoming a star also requires pride and accountability. Gallinari angrily and profanely claimed his share on Monday, making perhaps his greatest leap yet."

    Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Gallo's comments after the loss to Utah. Let's hope he takes his own words to heart and starts playing the way he knows and we know he CAN play when he chooses to.

    I've always disliked watching Gallo sit outside dropping 3s all game, when he plays aggressive on offense it translates into his defense and he has the energy to play hard on both ends of the court for an entire game.

    Now he just needs to do this regularly.

  6. #96
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    To be fair, you can't criticize someone for saying Gallo is a rookie, stating that he is not because his games played is more than other rookies and then compare him to other sophomores who have far more games played...the argument works both ways. Gallo is not a rookie b/c his games played is substantially more than other rookies. But Gallo is not quite a sophomore either because other sophomores games played is well above that of Gallo's...if we are to use that line of thinking.

    If you are going to criticize anything, criticize the fact that this guy at age 21 already has back problems that look to be plaguing him now.

  7. #97
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    To be fair, you can't criticize someone for saying Gallo is a rookie, stating that he is not because his games played is more than other rookies and then compare him to other sophomores who have far more games played...the argument works both ways. Gallo is not a rookie b/c his games played is substantially more than other rookies. But Gallo is not quite a sophomore either because other sophomores games played is well above that of Gallo's...if we are to use that line of thinking.

    If you are going to criticize anything, criticize the fact that this guy at age 21 already has back problems that look to be plaguing him now.
    Good point. Law school was a prudent choice for you!

  8. #98
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    In anticipation of the pending "he had more time to work with coaches even if he didn't play as much", remember, this guy was recovering from what I understand as serious back surgery. Most of his rookie year was spent rehabbing...I'm not subscribing to either the Gallo is a rookie or Gallo is a soph camp...each has its flaws.

  9. #99
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    To be fair, you can't criticize someone for saying Gallo is a rookie, stating that he is not because his games played is more than other rookies and then compare him to other sophomores who have far more games played...the argument works both ways. Gallo is not a rookie b/c his games played is substantially more than other rookies. But Gallo is not quite a sophomore either because other sophomores games played is well above that of Gallo's...if we are to use that line of thinking.

    If you are going to criticize anything, criticize the fact that this guy at age 21 already has back problems that look to be plaguing him now.
    Okay, so you do not subscribe to either camp, because of this one post? How about every other post that you made in support of Gallo as a rookie and as an NBA-ready European pro? I have never seen a person backpedal that fast.

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    In anticipation of the pending "he had more time to work with coaches even if he didn't play as much", remember, this guy was recovering from what I understand as serious back surgery. Most of his rookie year was spent rehabbing...I'm not subscribing to either the Gallo is a rookie or Gallo is a soph camp...each has its flaws.
    Yes, he was recovering. But, his advantage over any rookie is obvious. He was with an NBA team, for summer-league, pre-season and 28 regular season games. He is also a European pro, which many of your brethren were saying would make him better than the various NCAA picks.

    And, are you saying we should discount years from the career experience of players that have been out due to injury? In that case, NBA.com would have a lot of profiles to modify. Some players were injured, last season, while others were not, rookies and more experienced players. The common denominator is that both categories of players were in the NBA, while this year's rookies were not

    No matter what your personal opinion is, when it comes to whether Gallo is a rookie or sophomore, the argument that Gallo was playing at a higher level of competition, than NCAA players, during his years in Italy, nullifies any experience argument you or anyone else poses. You have defeated yourselves, as a direct result of your previous arguments, unless you wish to admit having erred in your previous thinking, which is another defeat.

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Good point. Law school was a prudent choice for you!
    Trillion, your opinion is biased toward favoring what Kblack has to say, because what he is saying agrees with your perpetual commentary on Gallinari. As such, your opinion of Kblack's sophistry lacks the objectivity required for serious consideration.
    Last edited by OGKnickfan; Mar 31, 2010 at 22:00.

  10. #100
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Trillion, your opinion is biased toward favoring whatever Kblack has to say, because what he is saying agrees with your perpetual commentary on Gallinari. As such, your opinion of Kblack's sophistry lacks the objectivity required for serious consideration.
    I can agree with that but I still think he makes a valid point. It's really not that hard of a concept. Gallo has played more than a rookie but less than a Sophomore. He may have had an extra preseason but he did lose a chunk last year rehabbing from surgery. I thnk by this time next year we will know the truth on Gallo.

  11. #101
    Veteran GetRealistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,370
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    I like Getrealistic but he might be the next Knicks126 and go find another forum to post on....thats assuming that theres no connection between JPZ and knicks126
    Well the fact that i don't automatically agree with everything certain posters say does hurtr my chances in your perserved KOL pecking order but i'm alright with that.

    The true test will be when and if we add good players to this team. Then we will really see what D'Antoni and Galinari have, until then we can all sit back and speculate. But to compare players like Hibbert,Lopez, Lopez, and Thompson (all of which played atleast 3 years in college) and a full rookie season to a 21/22 year old coming off major back surgury is far from fair. Despite all those points Gallos Stats match up pretty well.

    Thompson, Lopez, Lopez, and Thompson all shoot the majority of there shots inside the paint so i wouldn't compare their FG% to Gallo (didn't Eddy Curry have the best FG% in the league two years?). Also those guys play Center or PF so again of course they average more rebounds.

    Lastly if Brook Lopez (who i think is a good player) was such a special player don't you think he'd be able to bring a talented team like the Nets to a better record then they have? I mean the Nets have talent and a player with Lopez "special ability" should atleast mean 30 wins.

  12. #102
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    Wilson Chandler was a late first round pick. Most people didn't even expect him to average 15 points per game, so your argument is very weak.

    Danilo Gallinari was a top 8 lottery pick. A lot of people compared him to
    Dirk Nowitzki and Andrea Bargnani, so the expectations were high for him.

    However, he hasn't produced. Maybe he'll produce in the future, but he has not played up to par now.

    And as for Rudy Fernandez being better than Wilson Chandler, where do you get that from? Fernandez shoots a woeful 39% from the field.
    Just pointing out the faulty logic you guys use to argue that Gallo sucks.

    Player A was drafted after player B and Player A is better than player B, therefore Player A is a complete bust and I hate him.

    Find another reason to hate Gallo.

    Or just admit the truth. You don't like D'Antoni so therefore you don't like Gallo. It's as simple as that and consistent with everyone on here.

    And how come all you Lopez guys never answer the question as to why a much more talented Nets team with Lopez is much worse than the Knicks?

    I am not arguing that Gallo is a great player but to give him a fair chance to be evaluated. Calling Gallo a bust in essentially his first year is premature.

    You have to admit, Gallo shows signs of being a very good player. And just because he was drafted 6th overall doesn't preclude him being a franchise talent.

    He has bad games and looks terrible sometimes as well. If these consistencies continue next year and the following year, I will agree with you.

    And none of you Gallo haters, I REPEAT, NONE OF YOU GALLO HATERS, can honestly say with the utmost conviction that he is a bust. None of you can evaluate talent to that extent, NONE OF YOU!!

    So get over yourselves and just admit you don't like him because you don't like D'Antoni. It's not based on your analysis of his game but your hate for our coach. Fact. Otherwise, you would be waiting to see how he develops before you made up your mind, like most objective and logical people.

  13. #103
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Okay, so you do not subscribe to either camp, because of this one post? How about every other post that you made in support of Gallo as a rookie and as an NBA-ready European pro? I have never seen a person backpedal that fast.

    Link me to a post where I said Gallo was an NBA-ready European pro? Got none? Thought so...

    I have made several posts expressing my concern that he's a 21-year-old with back problems...I just don't see any real point in giving up on him...

    I have said in the past that I thought, for all intents and purposes, he is a rookie...but I think the argument makes sense against it, I'm back on the fence. Unlike you, I'm not afraid to admit someone has an argument. But both sides have flaws...I really don't think any comparison to one draft class is any fairer than comparison to another class. I think the better analytical decision is to look at player like Gallo who have played professionally in Europe and grew up playing in European basketball camps and then came over...their experiences are closer to Gallinari's.

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    No matter what your personal opinion is, when it comes to whether Gallo is a rookie or sophomore, the argument that Gallo was playing at a higher level of competition, than NCAA players, during his years in Italy, nullifies any experience argument you or anyone else poses.
    Again, find me a post where I said that he was playing at a higher level of competition in the European league? I have said over and over that the pace is less fast in Europe and the schedule less demanding, which could factor into a lot of European players' slow development...

    I don't know where you are pulling these arguments from, but they aren't going to be attributed to me. I never made them...
    Last edited by KBlack25; Mar 31, 2010 at 22:31.

  14. #104
    Member Arod2k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    From the day Gallinari was drafted I have been one of his biggest supporters on this site, even after just playing in 28 games last season I knew he would be a good pro. He was actually my first and only choice for the 2008 draft. I always felt he wasn't a savior but someone that makes others better and he has shown that in his first two seasons he reminds me a lot of Tony Kukoc. However I do have my concerns about him:

    1) After watching more and more from him this season I still feel he hasn't recovered from this back injury.

    2) There is absolutely no lift or power in his drives to basket.

    3) He still not able to post up 6'3 players in the paint. This is very frustrating to see a 6'11 guy getting slapped around when he goes inside by smaller players.

    4) He actually looked better last year, more poise and stable in his movements. This year he just looks horrible and can't finish to save his life at the basket.

    I want Gallinari to succeed so bad and I will root for him and still feel he can become a great role player to us, but I just don't think the sky and his reach is that high as some in this site see in him.

    Lets go Knicks, can't wait for the 2010-2011 season!

  15. #105
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Gallinari isn't a bad player...

    he's just a bad pick.

    Aint no arguing that!

    He's not a difference maker, and I can't trust him with the ball in his hands period.

    showing flashes is one thing, but if I draft a guy @ 8...

    I should be able to trust him with the rock. I can't trust Gallo...

    Too inconsistent.

Similar Threads

  1. I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?
    By DaTPRiNCE in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 417
    Last Post: Dec 04, 2009, 16:37
  2. Nets vs Knicks Official Website including Game Dates
    By keyindabox in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 29, 2009, 02:05
  3. Game 2: Knicks @ 76ers 10/31
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: Nov 01, 2008, 18:36
  4. [Article] Knicks Know About Game 7
    By rady in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 19, 2004, 12:31
  5. Nets Survive Triple Bypass.....
    By frankwilliams in forum NBA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15, 2004, 14:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •