Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 78

Thread: David Lee's Triple-Double- A historical perspective

  1. #31
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Everyone knows Dirk is 5 times the player Gallo is and no one is claiming anything different. I responded to your point about Dirk because they play similar games and were at similar levels at the same points in their careers...the distinction being that you bash Gallo because he is not as good as Durant...I am not promoting Gallo by saying he resembles Dirks style. So all of you can +1 each other and LOL till your hearts content but you failed to see my point.

  2. #32
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Everyone knows Dirk is 5 times the player Gallo is and no one is claiming anything different. I responded to your point about Dirk because they play similar games and were at similar levels at the same points in their careers...the distinction being that you bash Gallo because he is not as good as Durant...I am not promoting Gallo by saying he resembles Dirks style. So all of you can +1 each other and LOL till your hearts content but you failed to see my point.
    Contradictory, perhaps???

    We can fairly compare Durant and Gallo's basketball profiles, especially season one of Durant's NBA career to season two of Gallo's, during which Durant was still the better player. Moreover, as Jim and ABCD have stated, both Durant and Gallo are the same height, age, position, etc., while Nowitzki differs from Gallo in fundamental ways: age, experience, accomplishments, position, etc.

  3. #33
    Member Arod2k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    That triple double doesn't mean **** because we lost. Anyways, I don't want Lee re-sign at the end of the season as he's been part of so much losing. We need to start over, there's no untouchables in this squad so I want everyone gone!

  4. #34
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Nowitzki differs from Gallo in fundamental ways: age, experience, accomplishments, position, etc.
    I believe the comparison was Nowitzki as a 21 year old, with 2 years in the league, without all the accomplishments. Nowitzki's experience as a European import most closely resembles Gallinari's experience as a European import...

    I know when I compare the two (and I compare Bargnani as well), I look at them all at the same age and league experience mostly because I like to see how these tall, jump shooting European imports fair early in their careers. I believe it provides the best comparison because it has the most accurate mirror.

  5. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,055
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    David Lee had a great game. He scored, rebounded, and dished out 10 assists.

    lol at the Gallinasexuals comparing him to Dirk Nowitzki(a 9x All Star, 2006 Western Conference Champion, and a 2007 MVP) but then catching feelings when he is compared to a less experienced, less accomplished Durant.

    La Gallina(the hen) scored 29 points against one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history, and it showed.

    About 21 of Gallinari's 29 points came from open 3 pointers and open midrange shots and open drives to the basket. Another 5 of those points came from free throws. Only 3 of those points actually came with defense on him, and I believe it was the 6'3 Stephen Curry who defended him on that field goal.

    What a coinkydink that when he went up against the top tier Utah Jazz and Portland Trailblazers, he went a combined 5-19 from the field.

    Let's see what Gallinari does against the Clippers, who have size and shot blockers.

    If Gallinari scores 20+ points on above 45% shooting, and can get at least 6 rebounds against the Clippers, then I'll give him credit.

    But he's still going to have to prove himself, because I am not blinded enough to believe one game=an entire season.
    Well looks like you were right ABCD. Typical Gallo statline 4-14, 1-6 from 3, can't even make double figures at 9 points. Hopefully while "the ****" was camped at the 3 point line, he at least took pictures of Al Harrington to see what his game could look like when it grows up. Good thing D. Lee and Al showed up with their "A" games to help us get a victory on the west coast.

  6. #36
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Arod2k9
    That triple double doesn't mean **** because we lost. Anyways, I don't want Lee re-sign at the end of the season as he's been part of so much losing. We need to start over, there's no untouchables in this squad so I want everyone gone!
    Don't worry - you are about to get your wish. Two maxes, Curry, Gallo, Douglas and 8 guys at minimum salary. Yay, dream team!

    But seriously, I'm amazed at so little excitement over Lee's performance. My beef with current team is not even so much that they are ****e, but that they can't be arsed to play and put in the effort. David does actually put in the effort on a regular basis and most of guys here just go "meh, so what. I'd rather fap at how good Gallo might become 1 day. He's just like Nowitzki - tall, white and european"

  7. #37
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    I believe the comparison was Nowitzki as a 21 year old, with 2 years in the league, without all the accomplishments. Nowitzki's experience as a European import most closely resembles Gallinari's experience as a European import...

    ....... I believe it provides the best comparison because it has the most accurate mirror.
    It's not the best comparison, because there were tons of tall european j-shooters who failed in NBA and Nowitzki is kinda unique. Applying the same logic you could say that Douglas was just like Jordan at the age of 5 - hence he has brightest of futures ahead of him.
    What made Nowitzki into a superstar he is was not the ability he had at the start of NBA career, but passion for the game, and desire to build on that ability.
    And I don't see that in Gallo. He speaks of improvement, but went backwards compared to the start of the season.

  8. #38
    Member NYKnuniversity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Kevin Durant is 21 also. You are making this way too EASY!!!!!
    Durant wasn't just a lottery pick though...he was the TOP RATED PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, but was taken after Oden at #2. There's not even a comparison with them as "lottery picks", because it was Oden, Durant and then everyone else. Definitely in 2 separate categories in their draft class. Also, Durant IS the #1 option on Oklahoma City, and was always predicted to be the player he is. We don't/never expected Gallo to be a Kevin Durant. Durant and Oden were in a league of their own in their draft class, while Gallo could have been picked anywhere from #5-15. Durant can hardly even be considered a lottery pick...seeing as he was going to be taken in the top 2 no matter what. It wouldn't be fair to say Lopez, Augustine, or Eric Gordon are a Kevin Durant. Just drop the bull**** and admit the Gallo-Durant comparison is weak. Gallo may not have produced what Gordon or Lopez has yet, but thats ignorant to let his decent production bother you. This team wasn't built to win. Not by a longshot. The fact that Gallo is averaging 14 points a game as a sophomore is completely fine with me. I don't see ANY reason to believe his game won't progress and get better...why wouldn't it?

    You're a hater, and it's sad actually because you have no substance behind your hate or any of your arguments. ****'s weak.

  9. #39
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Contradictory, perhaps???

    We can fairly compare Durant and Gallo's basketball profiles, especially season one of Durant's NBA career to season two of Gallo's, during which Durant was still the better player. Moreover, as Jim and ABCD have stated, both Durant and Gallo are the same height, age, position, etc., while Nowitzki differs from Gallo in fundamental ways: age, experience, accomplishments, position, etc.
    Irrelevant perhaps? Are we here to discuss basketball or parse my words to suite your narrative? I have been very clear that Gallo is not on the level of Dirk or Durant. I wasn't even the one who initially made the comparison to Dirk. I just stated accurately that it has way more merit than a comparison with Durant. Dirk and Gallo are both perimeter big men who face the basket and come from Europe playing similar games. That is not to say that Gallo will ever reach Dirk status or that Gallo is a beast because they play similar game. Contrast that to the weak unfounded argument by Jim that Gallo is a bust because he is not an MVP caliber player like Durant.

    Listen, I could care less at this point. If people want to hate on Gallo because he is not Durant or because he was drafted over better players...that's fine. If people want to hate him because he insisted on playing for the Knicks or else he would stay in Italy, his home earning millions being a top Italian player...that too is fine.

    Time will tell who is correct and the same goes for the Dant and Lee haters too. We have a bunch of impatient fans with unrealistic expectations amidst a rebuilding phase and I will let them stew in their hate allowing our plan to unfold and our players to develop.

  10. #40
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Slit
    It's not the best comparison, because there were tons of tall european j-shooters who failed in NBA and Nowitzki is kinda unique. Applying the same logic you could say that Douglas was just like Jordan at the age of 5 - hence he has brightest of futures ahead of him.
    What made Nowitzki into a superstar he is was not the ability he had at the start of NBA career, but passion for the game, and desire to build on that ability.
    And I don't see that in Gallo. He speaks of improvement, but went backwards compared to the start of the season.
    Really? I see Gallo putting in effort, recognizing his weaknesses and often showing a killer instinct. For a 21 year old "almost rookie" on a Knicks losing team with our terrible environment and lack of leadership I think Gallo is one of our bright spots.

  11. #41
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnuniversity
    Durant wasn't just a lottery pick though...he was the TOP RATED PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, but was taken after Oden at #2. There's not even a comparison with them as "lottery picks", because it was Oden, Durant and then everyone else. Definitely in 2 separate categories in their draft class. Also, Durant IS the #1 option on Oklahoma City, and was always predicted to be the player he is. We don't/never expected Gallo to be a Kevin Durant. Durant and Oden were in a league of their own in their draft class, while Gallo could have been picked anywhere from #5-15. Durant can hardly even be considered a lottery pick...seeing as he was going to be taken in the top 2 no matter what. It wouldn't be fair to say Lopez, Augustine, or Eric Gordon are a Kevin Durant. Just drop the bull**** and admit the Gallo-Durant comparison is weak. Gallo may not have produced what Gordon or Lopez has yet, but thats ignorant to let his decent production bother you. This team wasn't built to win. Not by a longshot. The fact that Gallo is averaging 14 points a game as a sophomore is completely fine with me. I don't see ANY reason to believe his game won't progress and get better...why wouldn't it?

    You're a hater, and it's sad actually because you have no substance behind your hate or any of your arguments. ****'s weak.
    Good post.

  12. #42
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    First couple of good games...

    Gallo was a "beast".

    Then when compared to one of the best at his position (Durant)- which is fare since to gage his impact you use one of the best as reference...

    now (after realizing your assertions were hyped) it's not fair! With a bevy of excuses!

    Listen... if by "beast" you mean Shrek to Durants Incredible Hulk then you're right on. But all the posters comapring him to Durant...

    That's perfectly legitimate. It serves to wake these Euro supports up and remind them what greatness really is as opposed to hyped up mediocrity...

    speaking of which...

    David Lee... wow a triple double...

    and still has no impact on a game?

    ...and still won't even be a top ten free agent this summer...

    needless to say...

    I'm shaking my head! All these limited white player supporters get your pen and paper out...

    The playoffs are almost here. If your hypes aren't putting up Nash-Dirk-or Manu performances...

    don't even bother mentioning them. There are too many all around talents available for our entertainment to even consider these guys (Lee and Gallo) real difference makers.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Red; Apr 05, 2010 at 09:18.

  13. #43
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    So, because Gallo is not Durant after 1+ years, he's a bust? Honestly, do you guys really believe what you're saying? Or do you WANT to hate him?

    I haven't seen this much hatred for a Knick since Marbury. I don't get it. To actually WANT to hate a player. With no real reason. You guys WANT Gallo to fail. It makes you happy when he has a bad game. SMH. Go root for the Nets.

  14. #44
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Great game by Lee. He put up monster numbers although in a losing effort. Here comes the part where people will think I'm hating, but I'm just merely making an observation.

    For all of Lee's "double-doubles" and near triple doubles, he rarely ever has an impact on the outcome of the game. Lee's production isn't what you would call IMPACT POINTS. He gets his numbers during the course of the game but they rarely happen to suppress a run or create a momentum change.

    Lee is a work horse (on offense) and earns every one of his points and rebounds BUT he would never be called upon to finish a game. It just wouldn't work because although he averages 20 pts, he's not a go to player. On any other good team Lee is just a valuable role player. Why? Because a team won't be successful with Lee as your main guy.

    For example, I think Gooden is just as good as Lee. Gooden may not be a better rebounder but he makes that up with better defensive presence. Still, Gooden has bounced around the league because he's just a good role player. It doesn't matter what team Lee plays for next season, he WILL NOT get the same amount of shot attempts and freedom like in NY. Most teams already have their core players, but if they don't, I don't believe teams will be willing to spend a ton of money on Lee to make him one.

    I'm sorry but I'm getting real tired of the announcers force feeding viewers how many "double doubles" Lee has before, during and after games. The team usually loses so who gives a f***! Lee's individual stats are always the talking points as if they contribute to a winning record. I'm just tired of it. The triple double was a valid talking point but continuing to talk up his stats when they don't result in team wins is meaningless.

    Everyone who knows basketball can see that Lee is overachieving right now. He's not the type of player you give the keys to but because of the lack of talent, he gets that role. It would never result in a winning season even with better players. (I'm talking with him remaining as THE GUY)

    Just to be clear to all the Lee lovers; I like Lee and think he's a very good player. Unfortunately he's just a role player and if you try to get more out of him your team will suffer since he will rarely lead you to wins.

    With that said, I'd be very reluctant to give him 10 mil a year. Sure he made the all-star team but he really wasn't supposed to be there.

  15. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,055
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnuniversity
    Durant wasn't just a lottery pick though...he was the TOP RATED PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, but was taken after Oden at #2. There's not even a comparison with them as "lottery picks", because it was Oden, Durant and then everyone else. Definitely in 2 separate categories in their draft class. Also, Durant IS the #1 option on Oklahoma City, and was always predicted to be the player he is. We don't/never expected Gallo to be a Kevin Durant. Durant and Oden were in a league of their own in their draft class, while Gallo could have been picked anywhere from #5-15. Durant can hardly even be considered a lottery pick...seeing as he was going to be taken in the top 2 no matter what. It wouldn't be fair to say Lopez, Augustine, or Eric Gordon are a Kevin Durant. Just drop the bull**** and admit the Gallo-Durant comparison is weak. Gallo may not have produced what Gordon or Lopez has yet, but thats ignorant to let his decent production bother you. This team wasn't built to win. Not by a longshot. The fact that Gallo is averaging 14 points a game as a sophomore is completely fine with me. I don't see ANY reason to believe his game won't progress and get better...why wouldn't it?

    You're a hater, and it's sad actually because you have no substance behind your hate or any of your arguments. ****'s weak.
    OK let me slooooooowwwwwww this down for you guys until you get it. Durant was the #2 overall pick.... Gallo the #6 overall pick..... They are the same age..... They play the same position...... They are even almost the same exact height....... But you can't compare the too because of why again??? Ohhhh because it's not fair to Gallo????? Then that means Gallo is not the "beast" you ****lovers say he is because you can always compare the best to the best..... do you get it yet????? So which one is it "****lovers"???? If Gallo is "The Beast" you all say he is, then comparing him to a real "Beast" shouldn't be a problem.... Or if Gallo is the ROLE PLAYER THAT HAS AN OCCASIONAL GOOD GAME those of us not mesmerized by the "****" trying to tell you, than you are right, don't compare the **** and a true player in Durant.... SO WHICH ONE IS IT???????

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: Jan 07, 2010, 19:34
  2. 21 Reasons Not to Overpay David Lee
    By JayJ44 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 14, 2009, 15:45
  3. Analysis on David Lee
    By Blas in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Jan 16, 2009, 10:05
  4. David Lee's new look
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 10, 2008, 16:13
  5. David Lee's Amazing Journey
    By nyKnicks126 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Oct 22, 2007, 15:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •