David Lee's Triple-Double- A historical perspective

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Derrick Rose, Michael Beasly, OJ Mayo, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, DANILO GALLINARI, Eric Gordon, Joe Alexander, DJ Augustine, Brook Lopez.....

NONE of these players will ever be as good as Kevin Durant. Why in the hell would you compare Gallo to Durant? Durant is a savior, a once in a lifetime talent. He's everything Tracy McGrady was supposed to be and then some. Gallo will be a very good talent, but he will never be as good as Durant. Idk why people would compare him to KD, when no1 else in that draft class is gonna end up as good as him. Heck no one in this draft class this year will be as good as him! So why are you holding Gallo accountable for that?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
League may review Lee's historic triple-double ?
BY FRANK ISOLA

David Lee's historic triple-double could still be under review from the NBA.

A league spokesman said the NBA office won't look at film of Friday's game until either Monday or Tuesday. Lee finished with 37 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists against Golden State but his final assist, a pass to Danilo Gallinari, could be in question.

Even Mike D'Antoni joked yesterday that Gallinari took "four dribbles" before hoisting a shot. Last year, the league nullified LeBron James' triple-double against the Knicks when it ruled that Ben Wallace should have been credited with the rebound that turned out to be James' 10th.

If Lee's triple-double holds up he will become the first player to notch a 30-20-10 performance since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did it on March 5, 1976. Ironically, Abdul-Jabbar's 35 points, 20 rebounds and 12 assists also came in a game against Golden State.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/04/lees-historic-triple-double-un.html#ixzz0k6TXxryl

Gay sex.....

Slit

Rookie
Wow. David played his heart out and most of you guys don't give a damn.

Seriously, a decent performance by rather mediocre Gallo interests you more than a great one by teams best player at the moment? Wow.

jimkcchief88

All Star
No actually lottery picks are drafted in the HOPES that they become 3/4's of the player Durant is. MOST lotto picks historically have not approached the level of Durant. That said, just because they are both lotto picks does not mean they are the same caliber player. You are arguing that Durant is better as if that's up for debate...of course he is better, he is better than most players. He is in another class of player and that is not a dig against Gallo. Again....STOP IGNORING THAT DURANT HAS PLAYED NEARLY TRIPLE THE GAMES, AVERAGES DOUBLE THE SHOTS AND IS A NUMBER ONE OPTION ON A STRONG TEAM. LOL at me being the one not able to comprehend...I mentioned Kareem because you used to claim Eddy Curry was a beast and one of your favorite players so I used some hyperbole about you comparing him to Kareem since you compare Gallo to Durant. Get it? Probably not...:cool:

So why compare any two players than is any sport???? Why compare Bird and Magic or Maris and Mantle??? You guys compare Gallo and Dirk, but Dirk is way older and that makes sense???? THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T THINK ITS FAIR TO COMPARE GALLO TO DURANT MAKES MY POINT ABOUT GALLO'S SKILL LEVEL. The fact you are blowing this smoke on a thread that should be dedicated to David Lee's historic night against the Warriors proves you can't read and can't see the forest for the trees.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I completely disagree with the premise that what Gallo did last night are what Lottery Picks are supposed to average what Durant averages...

Durant is getting MVP buzz and is one of the best scorers in the league, he can score from anywhere on the floor. Durant is a special breed...there are 13 lottery picks every year, and usually 10+ do not come close to Durant-like numbers.

C'mon, that is why they are LOTTERY picks, you HOPE TO HIT IT BIG, NOT GET A ROLE PLAYER. Refer back to what ABCD stated about this.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
C'mon, that is why they are LOTTERY picks, you HOPE TO HIT IT BIG, NOT GET A ROLE PLAYER. Refer back to what ABCD stated about this.

Nice backpedal but you said EXPECTED...not hoped. I and others had to correct your line of thinking more than once. At least you show a willingness to change your stance even if you attempt to pretend it was your initial position. Further I and others have pointed out numerous times that it is premature to classify Gallo as a "role player". Had the same thing been done with Lee at this point in his career than we would have all wrongly written Lee off as a role player too. It took Lee 5 years to reach his current status and he is still getting better yet you want to close the case on gallo after 90 or so games.

As to your post directed at me...You compare Dirk to Gallo because they have similar games. They are both big men who shoot from the outside and are from Europe. It's blatantly obvious why they are compared but you rather focus on two inconsequential similarites...agae and lottery pick. Neither are good indicators of anything worthwhile when making comparisons between two players. And yes, no one doubts that Durant is a far superior player to Gallo...they are two different type of players in two very different scenarios.

Why should anyone take you seriously when you are a big fan of Eddy Curry? Going by your record...your non-endorsement of Gallo portends well for his future.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
David Lee had a great game. He scored, rebounded, and dished out 10 assists.

lol at the Gallinasexuals comparing him to Dirk Nowitzki(a 9x All Star, 2006 Western Conference Champion, and a 2007 MVP) but then catching feelings when he is compared to a less experienced, less accomplished Durant.

La Gallina(the hen) scored 29 points against one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history, and it showed.

About 21 of Gallinari's 29 points came from open 3 pointers and open midrange shots and open drives to the basket. Another 5 of those points came from free throws. Only 3 of those points actually came with defense on him, and I believe it was the 6'3 Stephen Curry who defended him on that field goal.

What a coinkydink that when he went up against the top tier Utah Jazz and Portland Trailblazers, he went a combined 5-19 from the field.

Let's see what Gallinari does against the Clippers, who have size and shot blockers.

If Gallinari scores 20+ points on above 45% shooting, and can get at least 6 rebounds against the Clippers, then I'll give him credit.

But he's still going to have to prove himself, because I am not blinded enough to believe one game=an entire season.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Nice backpedal but you said EXPECTED...not hoped. I and others had to correct your line of thinking more than once. At least you show a willingness to change your stance even if you attempt to pretend it was your initial position. Further I and others have pointed out numerous times that it is premature to classify Gallo as a "role player". Had the same thing been done with Lee at this point in his career than we would have all wrongly written Lee off as a role player too. It took Lee 5 years to reach his current status and he is still getting better yet you want to close the case on gallo after 90 or so games.

As to your post directed at me...You compare Dirk to Gallo because they have similar games. They are both big men who shoot from the outside and are from Europe. It's blatantly obvious why they are compared but you rather focus on two inconsequential similarites...agae and lottery pick. Neither are good indicators of anything worthwhile when making comparisons between two players. And yes, no one doubts that Durant is a far superior player to Gallo...they are two different type of players in two very different scenarios.

Why should anyone take you seriously when you are a big fan of Eddy Curry? Going by your record...your non-endorsement of Gallo portends well for his future.

What does Eddy Curry have to do with anything??? I have been following his career since he played in Chicago??? So what??? Sorry I hoped he would do better with our Knicks, but the fact is EVEN EDDY CURRY HAS HAD BETTER SEASONS IN A KNICK UNIFORM THAN GALLO. Sorry I was rooting for the Knicks to have finally found a center......

So as ABCD stated above Dirk is a better comparison even though he is way older than Gallo and has more accolades because why???? Let's not compare Gallo to Durant because the fact THEY PLAY THE SAME POSITION, ARE THE SAME AGE AND PRACTICALLY THE SAME HEIGHT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING???? You "Cocklovers" are the ones that backpedal anytime I bring up Durant. Why should anybody take you seriously when you mancrush on Gallo blinds you?????

jimkcchief88

All Star

lol at the Gallinasexuals comparing him to Dirk Nowitzki(a 9x All Star, 2006 Western Conference Champion, and a 2007 MVP) but then catching feelings when he is compared to a less experienced, less accomplished Durant.

La Gallina(the hen) scored 29 points against one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history, and it showed.

About 21 of Gallinari's 29 points came from open 3 pointers and open midrange shots and open drives to the basket. Another 5 of those points came from free throws. Only 3 of those points actually came with defense on him, and I believe it was the 6'3 Stephen Curry who defended him on that field goal.

What a coinkydink that when he went up against the top tier Utah Jazz and Portland Trailblazers, he went a combined 5-19 from the field.

Let's see what Gallinari does against the Clippers, who have size and shot blockers.

If Gallinari scores 20+ points on above 45% shooting, and can get at least 6 rebounds against the Clippers, then I'll give him credit.

But he's still going to have to prove himself, because I am not blinded enough to believe one game=an entire season.

+1 agreed. The "cocklovers" forget that NBA seasons consist 82 games, not just 5 or 10.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Everyone knows Dirk is 5 times the player Gallo is and no one is claiming anything different. I responded to your point about Dirk because they play similar games and were at similar levels at the same points in their careers...the distinction being that you bash Gallo because he is not as good as Durant...I am not promoting Gallo by saying he resembles Dirks style. So all of you can +1 each other and LOL till your hearts content but you failed to see my point.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Everyone knows Dirk is 5 times the player Gallo is and no one is claiming anything different. I responded to your point about Dirk because they play similar games and were at similar levels at the same points in their careers...the distinction being that you bash Gallo because he is not as good as Durant...I am not promoting Gallo by saying he resembles Dirks style. So all of you can +1 each other and LOL till your hearts content but you failed to see my point.

Contradictory, perhaps???

We can fairly compare Durant and Gallo's basketball profiles, especially season one of Durant's NBA career to season two of Gallo's, during which Durant was still the better player. Moreover, as Jim and ABCD have stated, both Durant and Gallo are the same height, age, position, etc., while Nowitzki differs from Gallo in fundamental ways: age, experience, accomplishments, position, etc.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
That triple double doesn't mean shit because we lost. Anyways, I don't want Lee re-sign at the end of the season as he's been part of so much losing. We need to start over, there's no untouchables in this squad so I want everyone gone!

KBlack25

Starter
Nowitzki differs from Gallo in fundamental ways: age, experience, accomplishments, position, etc.

I believe the comparison was Nowitzki as a 21 year old, with 2 years in the league, without all the accomplishments. Nowitzki's experience as a European import most closely resembles Gallinari's experience as a European import...

I know when I compare the two (and I compare Bargnani as well), I look at them all at the same age and league experience mostly because I like to see how these tall, jump shooting European imports fair early in their careers. I believe it provides the best comparison because it has the most accurate mirror.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Well looks like you were right ABCD. Typical Gallo statline 4-14, 1-6 from 3, can't even make double figures at 9 points. Hopefully while "the Cock" was camped at the 3 point line, he at least took pictures of Al Harrington to see what his game could look like when it grows up. Good thing D. Lee and Al showed up with their "A" games to help us get a victory on the west coast.

Slit

Rookie
That triple double doesn't mean shit because we lost. Anyways, I don't want Lee re-sign at the end of the season as he's been part of so much losing. We need to start over, there's no untouchables in this squad so I want everyone gone!
Don't worry - you are about to get your wish. Two maxes, Curry, Gallo, Douglas and 8 guys at minimum salary. Yay, dream team!

But seriously, I'm amazed at so little excitement over Lee's performance. My beef with current team is not even so much that they are shite, but that they can't be arsed to play and put in the effort. David does actually put in the effort on a regular basis and most of guys here just go "meh, so what. I'd rather fap at how good Gallo might become 1 day. He's just like Nowitzki - tall, white and european"

Slit

Rookie
I believe the comparison was Nowitzki as a 21 year old, with 2 years in the league, without all the accomplishments. Nowitzki's experience as a European import most closely resembles Gallinari's experience as a European import...

....... I believe it provides the best comparison because it has the most accurate mirror.
It's not the best comparison, because there were tons of tall european j-shooters who failed in NBA and Nowitzki is kinda unique. Applying the same logic you could say that Douglas was just like Jordan at the age of 5 - hence he has brightest of futures ahead of him.
What made Nowitzki into a superstar he is was not the ability he had at the start of NBA career, but passion for the game, and desire to build on that ability.
And I don't see that in Gallo. He speaks of improvement, but went backwards compared to the start of the season.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Kevin Durant is 21 also. You are making this way too EASY!!!!!
Durant wasn't just a lottery pick though...he was the TOP RATED PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, but was taken after Oden at #2. There's not even a comparison with them as "lottery picks", because it was Oden, Durant and then everyone else. Definitely in 2 separate categories in their draft class. Also, Durant IS the #1 option on Oklahoma City, and was always predicted to be the player he is. We don't/never expected Gallo to be a Kevin Durant. Durant and Oden were in a league of their own in their draft class, while Gallo could have been picked anywhere from #5-15. Durant can hardly even be considered a lottery pick...seeing as he was going to be taken in the top 2 no matter what. It wouldn't be fair to say Lopez, Augustine, or Eric Gordon are a Kevin Durant. Just drop the bullshit and admit the Gallo-Durant comparison is weak. Gallo may not have produced what Gordon or Lopez has yet, but thats ignorant to let his decent production bother you. This team wasn't built to win. Not by a longshot. The fact that Gallo is averaging 14 points a game as a sophomore is completely fine with me. I don't see ANY reason to believe his game won't progress and get better...why wouldn't it?

You're a hater, and it's sad actually because you have no substance behind your hate or any of your arguments. Shit's weak.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Contradictory, perhaps???

We can fairly compare Durant and Gallo's basketball profiles, especially season one of Durant's NBA career to season two of Gallo's, during which Durant was still the better player. Moreover, as Jim and ABCD have stated, both Durant and Gallo are the same height, age, position, etc., while Nowitzki differs from Gallo in fundamental ways: age, experience, accomplishments, position, etc.

Irrelevant perhaps? Are we here to discuss basketball or parse my words to suite your narrative? I have been very clear that Gallo is not on the level of Dirk or Durant. I wasn't even the one who initially made the comparison to Dirk. I just stated accurately that it has way more merit than a comparison with Durant. Dirk and Gallo are both perimeter big men who face the basket and come from Europe playing similar games. That is not to say that Gallo will ever reach Dirk status or that Gallo is a beast because they play similar game. Contrast that to the weak unfounded argument by Jim that Gallo is a bust because he is not an MVP caliber player like Durant.

Listen, I could care less at this point. If people want to hate on Gallo because he is not Durant or because he was drafted over better players...that's fine. If people want to hate him because he insisted on playing for the Knicks or else he would stay in Italy, his home earning millions being a top Italian player...that too is fine.

Time will tell who is correct and the same goes for the Dant and Lee haters too. We have a bunch of impatient fans with unrealistic expectations amidst a rebuilding phase and I will let them stew in their hate allowing our plan to unfold and our players to develop.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It's not the best comparison, because there were tons of tall european j-shooters who failed in NBA and Nowitzki is kinda unique. Applying the same logic you could say that Douglas was just like Jordan at the age of 5 - hence he has brightest of futures ahead of him.
What made Nowitzki into a superstar he is was not the ability he had at the start of NBA career, but passion for the game, and desire to build on that ability.
And I don't see that in Gallo. He speaks of improvement, but went backwards compared to the start of the season.

Really? I see Gallo putting in effort, recognizing his weaknesses and often showing a killer instinct. For a 21 year old "almost rookie" on a Knicks losing team with our terrible environment and lack of leadership I think Gallo is one of our bright spots.