David Lee's Triple-Double- A historical perspective

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Durant wasn't just a lottery pick though...he was the TOP RATED PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, but was taken after Oden at #2. There's not even a comparison with them as "lottery picks", because it was Oden, Durant and then everyone else. Definitely in 2 separate categories in their draft class. Also, Durant IS the #1 option on Oklahoma City, and was always predicted to be the player he is. We don't/never expected Gallo to be a Kevin Durant. Durant and Oden were in a league of their own in their draft class, while Gallo could have been picked anywhere from #5-15. Durant can hardly even be considered a lottery pick...seeing as he was going to be taken in the top 2 no matter what. It wouldn't be fair to say Lopez, Augustine, or Eric Gordon are a Kevin Durant. Just drop the bullshit and admit the Gallo-Durant comparison is weak. Gallo may not have produced what Gordon or Lopez has yet, but thats ignorant to let his decent production bother you. This team wasn't built to win. Not by a longshot. The fact that Gallo is averaging 14 points a game as a sophomore is completely fine with me. I don't see ANY reason to believe his game won't progress and get better...why wouldn't it?

You're a hater, and it's sad actually because you have no substance behind your hate or any of your arguments. Shit's weak.

Good post. :thumbsup:

Red

TYPE-A
First couple of good games...

Gallo was a "beast".

Then when compared to one of the best at his position (Durant)- which is fare since to gage his impact you use one of the best as reference...

now (after realizing your assertions were hyped) it's not fair! With a bevy of excuses!

Listen... if by "beast" you mean Shrek to Durants Incredible Hulk then you're right on. But all the posters comapring him to Durant...

That's perfectly legitimate. It serves to wake these Euro supports up and remind them what greatness really is as opposed to hyped up mediocrity...

speaking of which...

David Lee... wow a triple double...

and still has no impact on a game?

...and still won't even be a top ten free agent this summer...

needless to say...

I'm shaking my head! All these limited white player supporters get your pen and paper out...

The playoffs are almost here. If your hypes aren't putting up Nash-Dirk-or Manu performances...

don't even bother mentioning them. There are too many all around talents available for our entertainment to even consider these guys (Lee and Gallo) real difference makers.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So, because Gallo is not Durant after 1+ years, he's a bust? Honestly, do you guys really believe what you're saying? Or do you WANT to hate him?

I haven't seen this much hatred for a Knick since Marbury. I don't get it. To actually WANT to hate a player. With no real reason. You guys WANT Gallo to fail. It makes you happy when he has a bad game. SMH. Go root for the Nets.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Great game by Lee. He put up monster numbers although in a losing effort. Here comes the part where people will think I'm hating, but I'm just merely making an observation.

For all of Lee's "double-doubles" and near triple doubles, he rarely ever has an impact on the outcome of the game. Lee's production isn't what you would call IMPACT POINTS. He gets his numbers during the course of the game but they rarely happen to suppress a run or create a momentum change.

Lee is a work horse (on offense) and earns every one of his points and rebounds BUT he would never be called upon to finish a game. It just wouldn't work because although he averages 20 pts, he's not a go to player. On any other good team Lee is just a valuable role player. Why? Because a team won't be successful with Lee as your main guy.

For example, I think Gooden is just as good as Lee. Gooden may not be a better rebounder but he makes that up with better defensive presence. Still, Gooden has bounced around the league because he's just a good role player. It doesn't matter what team Lee plays for next season, he WILL NOT get the same amount of shot attempts and freedom like in NY. Most teams already have their core players, but if they don't, I don't believe teams will be willing to spend a ton of money on Lee to make him one.

I'm sorry but I'm getting real tired of the announcers force feeding viewers how many "double doubles" Lee has before, during and after games. The team usually loses so who gives a f***! Lee's individual stats are always the talking points as if they contribute to a winning record. I'm just tired of it. The triple double was a valid talking point but continuing to talk up his stats when they don't result in team wins is meaningless.

Everyone who knows basketball can see that Lee is overachieving right now. He's not the type of player you give the keys to but because of the lack of talent, he gets that role. It would never result in a winning season even with better players. (I'm talking with him remaining as THE GUY)

Just to be clear to all the Lee lovers; I like Lee and think he's a very good player. Unfortunately he's just a role player and if you try to get more out of him your team will suffer since he will rarely lead you to wins.

With that said, I'd be very reluctant to give him 10 mil a year. Sure he made the all-star team but he really wasn't supposed to be there.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Durant wasn't just a lottery pick though...he was the TOP RATED PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, but was taken after Oden at #2. There's not even a comparison with them as "lottery picks", because it was Oden, Durant and then everyone else. Definitely in 2 separate categories in their draft class. Also, Durant IS the #1 option on Oklahoma City, and was always predicted to be the player he is. We don't/never expected Gallo to be a Kevin Durant. Durant and Oden were in a league of their own in their draft class, while Gallo could have been picked anywhere from #5-15. Durant can hardly even be considered a lottery pick...seeing as he was going to be taken in the top 2 no matter what. It wouldn't be fair to say Lopez, Augustine, or Eric Gordon are a Kevin Durant. Just drop the bullshit and admit the Gallo-Durant comparison is weak. Gallo may not have produced what Gordon or Lopez has yet, but thats ignorant to let his decent production bother you. This team wasn't built to win. Not by a longshot. The fact that Gallo is averaging 14 points a game as a sophomore is completely fine with me. I don't see ANY reason to believe his game won't progress and get better...why wouldn't it?

You're a hater, and it's sad actually because you have no substance behind your hate or any of your arguments. Shit's weak.

OK let me slooooooowwwwwww this down for you guys until you get it. Durant was the #2 overall pick.... Gallo the #6 overall pick..... They are the same age..... They play the same position...... They are even almost the same exact height....... But you can't compare the too because of why again??? Ohhhh because it's not fair to Gallo????? Then that means Gallo is not the "beast" you Cocklovers say he is because you can always compare the best to the best..... do you get it yet????? So which one is it "cocklovers"???? If Gallo is "The Beast" you all say he is, then comparing him to a real "Beast" shouldn't be a problem.... Or if Gallo is the ROLE PLAYER THAT HAS AN OCCASIONAL GOOD GAME those of us not mesmerized by the "Cock" trying to tell you, than you are right, don't compare the Cock and a true player in Durant.... SO WHICH ONE IS IT???????

jimkcchief88

All Star
Great game by Lee. He put up monster numbers although in a losing effort. Here comes the part where people will think I'm hating, but I'm just merely making an observation.

For all of Lee's "double-doubles" and near triple doubles, he rarely ever has an impact on the outcome of the game. Lee's production isn't what you would call IMPACT POINTS. He gets his numbers during the course of the game but they rarely happen to suppress a run or create a momentum change.

Lee is a work horse (on offense) and earns every one of his points and rebounds BUT he would never be called upon to finish a game. It just wouldn't work because although he averages 20 pts, he's not a go to player. On any other good team Lee is just a valuable role player. Why? Because a team won't be successful with Lee as your main guy.

For example, I think Gooden is just as good as Lee. Gooden may not be a better rebounder but he makes that up with better defensive presence. Still, Gooden has bounced around the league because he's just a good role player. It doesn't matter what team Lee plays for next season, he WILL NOT get the same amount of shot attempts and freedom like in NY. Most teams already have their core players, but if they don't, I don't believe teams will be willing to spend a ton of money on Lee to make him one.

I'm sorry but I'm getting real tired of the announcers force feeding viewers how many "double doubles" Lee has before, during and after games. The team usually loses so who gives a f***! Lee's individual stats are always the talking points as if they contribute to a winning record. I'm just tired of it. The triple double was a valid talking point but continuing to talk up his stats when they don't result in team wins is meaningless.

Everyone who knows basketball can see that Lee is overachieving right now. He's not the type of player you give the keys to but because of the lack of talent, he gets that role. It would never result in a winning season even with better players. (I'm talking with him remaining as THE GUY)

Just to be clear to all the Lee lovers; I like Lee and think he's a very good player. Unfortunately he's just a role player and if you try to get more out of him your team will suffer since he will rarely lead you to wins.

With that said, I'd be very reluctant to give him 10 mil a year. Sure he made the all-star team but he really wasn't supposed to be there.

And I'm the HATER??????

jimkcchief88

All Star
So, because Gallo is not Durant after 1+ years, he's a bust? Honestly, do you guys really believe what you're saying? Or do you WANT to hate him?

I haven't seen this much hatred for a Knick since Marbury. I don't get it. To actually WANT to hate a player. With no real reason. You guys WANT Gallo to fail. It makes you happy when he has a bad game. SMH. Go root for the Nets.

Naw..... Go back and check on how Jamal(Crawful) got hated out of town, then check how Zach(black hole) was hated on, then dare I mention Eddy Curry...OMG.... Knicks fans are used to HATIN, so just call me Buck Nasty when it comes to Gallo....

GetRealistic

Starter
Do you guys realize Durant was the second overall draft pick while Gallo was the 6th? If not for peoples obsession with 7 footers Durant easily would have been the overal number one pick.

The NBA draft is often very subjective and in many ways a crap shoot. Usually there are 2-3 can't miss prospects and then from their your drafting solely on potential. There have been more misses then hits when it comes to draft picks.

1985: 6 Joe Kleine -- Miss
1986: William Bedford -- Miss
1987: Kenny Smith -- I'll give him a hit but he was drafted in from of KJ, Reggie Miller and Marc Jackson
1988: Hersey Hawkins -- AVerage
1989: Stacey King-- Miss
1990: Felton Spencer -- Miss
1991: Doug Smith -- Miss
92: Tom Gugliotta -- average at best
93: Calbert Chaney -- Miss
94: Sharone Wright -- Miss
95: Bryant Reeves -- Miss
96: Antonie Walker -- Hit
97: Ron Mercer -- Miss
98: Robert Taylor -- Miss
99: Wally Szcerbiak -- Average
00: Demar Johnson -- Miss
01: Shane Battier -- Hit
02: Dajuan Wagner -- Miss
03: Kaman -- Hit
04: Josh Childress-- Miss
05: Martell Webster -- Average
06: Brandon Roy -- Hit
07: Yi Jianlian -- Miss
08: Gallo -- ?
09: Johnny Flynn -- ?

The fact of the matter is Gallo is young and averaging nearly 15ppg well not hurting our salary cap situation at all. You can say he's a bust (you'd be wrong) but he's far superior then over half the players drafted in the exact same spot on the draft.

Let his career get some legs before you hate just for the sake of hating. We're all frustrated with this team but relax alittle.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Gallo is averaging 14 points a game while throwing up enough bricks to build the GREAT WALL OF CHINA..... And you guys are DUMB enough to think that David Lee's scoring and rebounding has no postive effect on the game but Gallo getting starter minutes and shooting all those bricks is OK???? Gallo only gets his measly 14 points a game because his Godfather let's him stay out on the floor and shoot all them bricks..... Why do you think Gallo only wanted to play in New York????? The weather???? Because his Godfather allows him to stay on the floor AND SHOOT THE TEAM OUT OF GAMES..... I mean this is ridiculous....... Did you see Gallo's statline last night??? That's the norm, not the exception..... You think that doesn't matter..... It takes big efforts from the Vets on the team to cover for the "Rookies" off shooting nights....C'mon gimme a break

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I gave various reasons for my opinions and am merely sharing my observations on him. I always give Lee credit for being a good player so how am I hating?

The truth is the truth.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I gave various reasons for my opinions and am merely sharing my observations on him. I always give Lee credit for being a good player so how am I hating?

The truth is the truth.

By making light of a feat that hasn't been accomplished for 35 years, the last person to do it being one Kareem Abdul Jabbar.... by saying David Lee's production rarely has an effect on the game instead of realizing maybe its his supporting cast(GALLO) not pulling their weight....

nyk_nyk

All Star
By making light of a feat that hasn't been accomplished for 35 years, the last person to do it being one Kareem Abdul Jabbar.... by saying David Lee's production rarely has an effect on the game instead of realizing maybe its his supporting cast(GALLO) not pulling their weight....

Gallo doesn't pull his weight consistently and Lee isn't a number 1 option on ANY NBA team that wants to be successful.

Did I cover everything now?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Paul Pierce didn't win anything until the Celtics went and got him some help either. Get it???

Wow I KNOW your not putting Lee and Pierce on the same level.

Pierce is still the man on the Celtics even with Allen and KG. Lee would immidiately become the 3rd or 4th option in that same scenerio.

Your not making any sense. Please go back and read my original post.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
OK let me slooooooowwwwwww this down for you guys until you get it. Durant was the #2 overall pick.... Gallo the #6 overall pick..... They are the same age..... They play the same position...... They are even almost the same exact height....... But you can't compare the too because of why again??? Ohhhh because it's not fair to Gallo????? Then that means Gallo is not the "beast" you Cocklovers say he is because you can always compare the best to the best..... do you get it yet????? So which one is it "cocklovers"???? If Gallo is "The Beast" you all say he is, then comparing him to a real "Beast" shouldn't be a problem.... Or if Gallo is the ROLE PLAYER THAT HAS AN OCCASIONAL GOOD GAME those of us not mesmerized by the "Cock" trying to tell you, than you are right, don't compare the Cock and a true player in Durant.... SO WHICH ONE IS IT???????
...I didn't really need you to "SLOWWWW IT DOWN FOR ME" because I pretty much made myself clear. I dont expect Gallo to ever be a Durant. I didn't expect him to be a Durant when he was picked. Further I never expected anyone in Gallo's draft class to be a Durant. You constantly complain about how we don't have Lopez, or Gordon, or Augustine, when in reality they have no where near the star potential that Durant has either. Gallo was drafted to be a PIECE to the puzzle, not the superstar. No one here is arguing that he is a "beast", we're arguing the fact that you ignorantly discount the facts because you're a Gallo-hater. Durant and Gallo are NOT comparable. Same age, position and "lottery pick"? Well then let's compare Durant to Julian Wright, and Yi Jianlian, right? Would you agree that was a fair argument? Comparable? Not so much. LOGIC. Get sum.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow I KNOW your not putting Lee and Pierce on the same level.

Pierce is still the man on the Celtics even with Allen and KG. Lee would immidiately become the 3rd or 4th option in that same scenerio.

Your not making any sense. Please go back and read my original post.

I don't have to re-read your original post because I am making perfect sense. David Lee is our #1 option wouldn't you agree??? Now you can build around that. The Celtics kept Pierce instead of saying "we never won with him in the past...." realizing that Pierce was still young and could play inside a team concept. Same with David Lee. You could keep him, put a couple pieces around him and now he option 1a, or 1b, or 3rd option IF NECESSARY. does it really matter because David Lee can play within a TEAM CONCEPT??? A lot of teams WOULD TAKE DAVID LEE AS A 3RD OPTION, SO WHY CAN'T HE BE OUR 3RD OPTION????

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I don't have to re-read your original post because I am making perfect sense. David Lee is our #1 option wouldn't you agree??? Now you can build around that. The Celtics kept Pierce instead of saying "we never won with him in the past...." realizing that Pierce was still young and could play inside a team concept. Same with David Lee. You could keep him, put a couple pieces around him and now he option 1a, or 1b, or 3rd option IF NECESSARY. does it really matter because David Lee can play within a TEAM CONCEPT??? A lot of teams WOULD TAKE DAVID LEE AS A 3RD OPTION, SO WHY CAN'T HE BE OUR 3RD OPTION????
Because we don't have the MEANS to acquire pieces around him!!! Especially at a championship level. The Celtics had Jefferson and draft picks to dangle to acquire KG, we're able to ship Wally Z's expiring contract to Seattle for Gay Allen. If we keep Lee, we compromise the ability to acquire to max contract players. Not to mention we don't have SHIT to use as trade bait. Chandler and Gallo are our best pieces, yet no one in the league gives a f*** about acquiring either of them. Curry's expiring contract won't even net us anything because there are no viable options at C or PG that are realistic! The Celdicks team of 08 came together in such a unique way. Claiming that keeping Lee will reciprocate those results is a hasty generalization. Lee is damn good, as he showed with his triple double performance, but we all agree that he is, at best, a 3rd option on a winning team. Building around him wouldn't be possible with the situation we are in.

nyk_nyk

All Star

Build around David Lee??? Lee is our #1 option by force so if you want to build around him then why not just pay him max money?

Seriously man, what respected GM really wants to build around Lee? He is a piece but nowhere near the centerpiece.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Because we don't have the MEANS to acquire pieces around him!!! Especially at a championship level. The Celtics had Jefferson and draft picks to dangle to acquire KG, we're able to ship Wally Z's expiring contract to Seattle for Gay Allen. If we keep Lee, we compromise the ability to acquire to max contract players. Not to mention we don't have SHIT to use as trade bait. Chandler and Gallo are our best pieces, yet no one in the league gives a f*** about acquiring either of them. Curry's expiring contract won't even net us anything because there are no viable options at C or PG that are realistic! The Celdicks team of 08 came together in such a unique way. Claiming that keeping Lee will reciprocate those results is a hasty generalization. Lee is damn good, as he showed with his triple double performance, but we all agree that he is, at best, a 3rd option on a winning team. Building around him wouldn't be possible with the situation we are in.

I thought we had 31 million to burn during the off-season.... We spend 10 off that on David Lee(hopefully he would give us the hometown NY discount), acquire a real-knockdown shooter(instead of the fake one we have now) that handle the ball a bit, mix-in center that can board and play defense to help out D. Lee and we still have money to bring Melo home in 2011 since E-City will be off the books by then. As you said, Gallo comes cheap, so I'll take him as a 5th option or first off the bench as a super-sub. Make him EARN his pt instead of playing favorites. Be ready for something like this because Walsh already stated he would rather pay D. Lee instead of overpay Bosh and Melo wants out of Denver for his big payday because Denver is a cowtown and NY is his home. I am not the resident cap guy or fantasy trade man, but I do know double-double guys don't grow on trees in the NBA, are hard to replace, and are usually the cornerstones of successful teams.