David Lee's Triple-Double- A historical perspective

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I thought we had 31 million to burn during the off-season.... We spend 10 off that on David Lee(hopefully he would give us the hometown NY discount), acquire a real-knockdown shooter(instead of the fake one we have now) that handle the ball a bit, mix-in center that can board and play defense to help out D. Lee and we still have money to bring Melo home in 2011 since E-City will be off the books by then. As you said, Gallo comes cheap, so I'll take him as a 5th option or first off the bench as a super-sub. Make him EARN his pt instead of playing favorites. Be ready for something like this because Walsh already stated he would rather pay D. Lee instead of overpay Bosh and Melo wants out of Denver for his big payday because Denver is a cowtown and NY is his home. I am not the resident cap guy or fantasy trade man, but I do know double-double guys don't grow on trees in the NBA, are hard to replace, and are usually the cornerstones of successful teams.
Since when did Melo say he was unhappy in Denver? Last I checked he just said anyone would love to play in NYC....That doesn't necessarily mean he is unhappy in Denver..How could anyone be unhappy sitting atop the Western Conference on a deep team with elite talent. Walsh took us out of the 2011 max contract mix when he gave up Jeffries' expiring contract at the deadline. Walsh is ALL IN FOR 2010. That has been established, and backed up by his front office moves this season and the last. Although you make a good case for a solid playoff team, all indications point toward Walsh going a different direction. We're going after 2 max contracts, and sadly David Lee will likely be the odd man out. We will most likely renounce his bird rights, seeing as Walsh hasn't been afraid to take risks for cap space (shown with his willingness to give up draft picks for T-Mac's expiring money).This team has been sculptured now to bring in 2 max players with the young pieces of Douglas, Chandler and Gallo. Lee just happens to be in a difficult position where our front office will probably look the other way.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Since when did Melo say he was unhappy in Denver? Last I checked he just said anyone would love to play in NYC....That doesn't necessarily mean he is unhappy in Denver..How could anyone be unhappy sitting atop the Western Conference on a deep team with elite talent. Walsh took us out of the 2011 max contract mix when he gave up Jeffries' expiring contract at the deadline. Walsh is ALL IN FOR 2010. That has been established, and backed up by his front office moves this season and the last. Although you make a good case for a solid playoff team, all indications point toward Walsh going a different direction. We're going after 2 max contracts, and sadly David Lee will likely be the odd man out. We will most likely renounce his bird rights, seeing as Walsh hasn't been afraid to take risks for cap space (shown with his willingness to give up draft picks for T-Mac's expiring money).This team has been sculptured now to bring in 2 max players with the young pieces of Douglas, Chandler and Gallo. Lee just happens to be in a difficult position where our front office will probably look the other way.

But what happens if we don't get the 2 max free-agents that every other team in the NBA with cap space is also planning on as well??? I hope Walsh has a better back-up than he had in this years draft after Curry was off the board. The Knicks have been bad for a decade and outside of David Lee, our talent is suspect so that "the just to be in NY" factor is being over-estimated.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
But what happens if we don't get the 2 max free-agents that every other team in the NBA with cap space is also planning on as well??? I hope Walsh has a better back-up than he had in this years draft after Curry was off the board. The Knicks have been bad for a decade and outside of David Lee, our talent is suspect so that "the just to be in NY" factor is being over-estimated.
No I totally see where you're coming from with that, and I hope to God that Walsh has backup plan as well. However, I think all indications are "all in for for 2010" with what we're seeing now. If we don't get the 2 max contract players that we covet, then I hope to God David Lee gives us a hometown discount and resigns. He is an excellent player. My ideal scenario would include Chris Bosh and LeBron James signing with the Knicks, but I would definitely settle for Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay and David Lee. We'd have some further building to do, but Walsh would look damn smart if he pulled either of those scenarios off. I totally see what you're saying with D. Lee. I just don't see eye to eye with the Gallo-Durant comparison. That's my only question in your posting on this thread.

jimkcchief88

All Star
No I totally see where you're coming from with that, and I hope to God that Walsh has backup plan as well. However, I think all indications are "all in for for 2010" with what we're seeing now. If we don't get the 2 max contract players that we covet, then I hope to God David Lee gives us a hometown discount and resigns. He is an excellent player. My ideal scenario would include Chris Bosh and LeBron James signing with the Knicks, but I would definitely settle for Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay and David Lee. We'd have some further building to do, but Walsh would look damn smart if he pulled either of those scenarios off. I totally see what you're saying with D. Lee. I just don't see eye to eye with the Gallo-Durant comparison. That's my only question in your posting on this thread.

I posted this thread just to give David Lee props on a historic night, that's it. He may not be with the team much longer. A couple of others dovetailed Gallo into it because he was also within shouting distance of a triple-double the same night. I get that. I just think it makes more sense to compare Gallo to one of his peers who plays the same position that has been able to carry basically an expansion team into the playoffs vs a 9 time All-Star that is 10 years his senior, but to each his own.

KBlack25

Starter
I posted this thread just to give David Lee props on a historic night, that's it. He may not be with the team much longer. A couple of others dovetailed Gallo into it because he was also within shouting distance of a triple-double the same night. I get that. I just think it makes more sense to compare Gallo to one of his peers who plays the same position that has been able to carry basically an expansion team into the playoffs vs a 9 time All-Star that is 10 years his senior, but to each his own.

From the original post...

jimkcchief88 said:
Metrosexual (in his one good post out of a million) once stated "performance over potential." So for all of you guys that think I'm "racist" because I hate on GALLO, it's you guys jocking the WRONG white boy.

You brought Gallo into this, you only have yourself to blame...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Still brought Gallo into the discussion. Look at a mirror and you will see the first person to mention Gallo in this thread.

Instead of calling you LJ, I'm gonna start calling you WRONG WAY because:

If I gave you turn-by-turn instructions from Ft. Collins to Gunnison, you would end up in Pueblo because you would only hear "the right turn" in the middle and miss the REST of the instructions.

You love to take one sentence out of a paragraph out of context, draw your own conclusion and run with it, while missing the author's original point. So why read a whole a paragraph???? Next time just pick one sentence in the middle, draw your own conclusion in a vacuum that suits your point, and be done with it.

Just don't go walking through a FOREST, because you might run smack-dab into a TREE.

jimkcchief88

All Star

If I gave you turn-by-turn instructions from Ft. Collins to Gunnison, you would end up in Pueblo because you would only hear "the right turn" in the middle and miss the REST of the instructions.

You love to take one sentence out of a paragraph out of context, draw your own conclusion and run with it, while missing the author's original point. So why read a whole a paragraph???? Next time just pick one sentence in the middle, draw your own conclusion in a vacuum that suits your point, and be done with it.

Just don't go walking through a FOREST, because you might run smack-dab into a TREE.

re-post mark of the beast

KBlack25

Starter
You said everyone else brought Gallo's name to the discussion...I showed that you were the first to mention Gallo. You brought him into this discussion, you opened the door. Had you not mentioned him, he perhaps would not have been mentioned at all.

jimkcchief88

All Star
You said everyone else brought Gallo's name to the discussion...I showed that you were the first to mention Gallo. You brought him into this discussion, you opened the door. Had you not mentioned him, he perhaps would not have been mentioned at all.

You totally missed my point so whatever. I got you confused with LJ so I apologize. But you still missed the point....(the key word in your post is PERHAPS)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Also, since you want to bring in Gallo in this topic. He too had a career night.

28-8-8

See Scribbles used MY post to bring Gallo into it. Let me slow this down. I only mentioned Gallo because I have been accused of hating on "European"(white) players. I started the thread to show that I don't hate on all "European"(white) players, just Gallo. I don't care what color you are, If you are over 6'5" and cannot play close to the goal, you are a bum in my book. That's just me. That was Scibb that says:"well since you mentioned Gallo....yada...yada.... Totally missing the point. RIF(Reading is Fundamental)

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Obsess about me much? Try keeping my name out of your mouth unless spoken too. Got it?

And at least I am not creating random posts containing lies about someone, which is what you are doing here.

paris401

Starter
Just a re-post for Paris

thanks for the re-post... never said I didn't like lee... 'if' we had a center for him to play off, he is a piece u don't trade.. BUT.. if u put $$$ to the side, and we go back 4yrs and u have a pick of lee or stat for your team.. who do u take??

I take stat... u and others mite take lee..

jimkcchief88

All Star
thanks for the re-post... never said I didn't like lee... 'if' we had a center for him to play off, he is a piece u don't trade.. BUT.. if u put $$$ to the side, and we go back 4yrs and u have a pick of lee or stat for your team.. who do u take??

I take stat... u and others mite take lee..

Problem is you can't put $$$$$ to the side because of the salary cap. David Lee this year: 35 minutes per game 19 points, 9.9 boards . STAT: 19 minutes a game, 10 points, 4 boards. That's HALF of the production for twice the $$$$ as STAT 21.6 million this year and David Lee is making 13.8 million. Um um um and wonder why this team is soooooo bad. I am gonna change STAT's nickname from standing tall and talented to standing tall and Turrible( insert Charles Barkley) because that what he had been for the Knicks lol:)

tiger0330

Legend
Stat was probably the better player back when they (Lee) were FAs but the Knicks were still dumbasses signing him to that kind of contract, Phoenix who could pay him more decided he wasn't worth it so who were we bidding against?

One of the reasons Grunny got canned by Dolan was he supposedly was an old school GM and not a user of advanced analytics in his player analysis. Well I'll tell you what if you ran Stat through a statistical model back then I bet it would have said he had a 50% chance of another knee injury and he wasn't worth the dough the Knicks paid for him.

paris401

Starter
4 n
Problem is you can't put $$$$$ to the side because of the salary cap. David Lee this year: 35 minutes per game 19 points, 9.9 boards . STAT: 19 minutes a game, 10 points, 4 boards. That's HALF of the production for twice the $$$$ as STAT 21.6 million this year and David Lee is making 13.8 million. Um um um and wonder why this team is soooooo bad. I am gonna change STAT's nickname from standing tall and talented to standing tall and Turrible( insert Charles Barkley) because that what he had been for the Knicks lol:)

agree..agree..agree...BUT... back 4yrs, stat was the better player... was he double the player in performance and $$$... that's a def 'no'... but the $$$$ everyone gets is out of line...