Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Paul to Knicks?

Default Chris Paul to Knicks?

Adamek: Chris Paul could be a Knick

Tuesday, April 6, 2010
    The Record

Let’s say LeBron James doesn’t come to New York, as Tracy McGrady apparently believes. Or Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amar’e Stoudemire or even Rudy Gay don’t, either.

How about this alternative: Chris Paul? The game’s most entertaining (and, presumably, non-Vaseline-eating) point guard.

Could happen. This summer.

Could happen because to watch rookie point guard Darren Collison play for the Hornets after Paul underwent midseason knee surgery — and know how tightly the Hornets pinch pennies — CP3 could be gettable.

Remember, as Isiah Thomas once said (forgetting Willis Reed and Patrick Ewing), New York is a guard’s town — even though these parts haven’t exactly produced a Grade A NBA one in years.

Maybe, in a package deal, it could become Teaneck native David West’s town, too. CP3 and D-West running the pick-and-roll would look a damn sight better than Chris Duhon and David Lee running it, don’t you think?

Agreed, this sounds a lot like some inane squawk-radio trade proposal (We’ll give them Eddy Curry for LeBron — if the Cavs throw in Mo Williams, too). And we still think Ricky Rubio could be a Knick by 2011.

But we throw Paul out there because we know, for sure, this is an alternate scenario on Donnie Walsh’s radar: a wildebeest team (i.e. Clippers, Grizzlies, Kings, Hornets) on which the ravenous Knicks can pounce in lieu of the free agent pool.

It’s how the Knicks got Larry Johnson for Anthony Mason and Brad Lohaus 13 years ago.

It’s how some other team willing to pay Paul the next two seasons could land him this summer, too.

True, any salary beyond next season could run into the NBA’s reworked labor agreement following the anticipated 2011 lockout. A hard or less-flexible salary cap (the latter more likely) could hurt teams with big-bucks players beyond next season.

But this is Chris Paul, not Stephon Marbury, and these are the Knicks. Perhaps it’d cost Lee (via a sign-and-trade deal) or Wilson Chandler, for starters, but if there’s a will (and Walsh), there could be a way worth doing.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's another article:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I would prefer Paul over Lebron. Anybody and everybody on the Knicks is worth Chris Paul.

I tend to agree that Paul is worth any of our players but he can't be the only move. The irony would to finally get an all star PG and not have anyone to pass to.
    Last edited by TR1LL10N; Apr 07, 2010 at 13:12.

I doubt NO would want to lose CP3, but if it did happen having CP3 on the team could attract more players.

We have more of a chance at landing LeBron and Wade.

you gota be smoking crack to want CP3 over LeBron....Paul is good, but no where near James status... whether it be pure skill/ability to make those around you better/ etc James has him beat... Fact, if we were to get Paul and no other big improvements i'd be dissappointed, as getting a great pg is great, but having other plays [to pass to and score] is key..

cp3 may be best pg, but James is [arguably] best player. period.

I do think we need a good pg, and they don't come much better than Paul..though we'd have to get someone else to go w him for sure..

If James, wade, Bosh/Johnson etc didn't work out, or if Paul could be in some combo i'd say go for it. but Paul alone, w this team, no sir.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Chris Paul is better than LeBron James...please be serious.

a PG > Wing.

Paul is the best PG
    Jams is the best SF.

Paul would fit better on this team anyway way more than James will, we have too many SF's already.

PG - Paul
    SG - Walker
    SF - Gallinari
    PF - Lee
    C - Baron

Back up guard
    Douglas/Rodriguez

Back up big man
    2010 Draft pick/MLE

Veteran

Paul is a great PG but he doesn't make a team of role players championship contenders like Lebron does. Take Lebron off the Cavs and they are not much more than a .500 team. I don't care if you have 9 wings on a team, you still get him first to build a team.

Superstar

We have nothing to offer them anyway for Paul. Gallinari + Douglas + Chandler + Curry? Is that enough for them to give up the best young PG in the game just to save money 2-3 years from now? I don't think so..

Only way I see Paul getting traded is if they get a top 5 pick in the draft next year and/or get another team to take Okafor.

Stick to the 2010 FA Market...we can't afford to trade away what little valuable players that we have.

Originally Posted by dave2138
    We have nothing to offer them anyway for Paul. Gallinari + Douglas + Chandler + Curry? Is that enough for them to give up the best young PG in the game just to save money 2-3 years from now? I don't think so..

Only way I see Paul getting traded is if they get a top 5 pick in the draft next year and/or get another team to take Okafor.

Stick to the 2010 FA Market...we can't afford to trade away what little valuable players that we have.
    Don't forget, since we are under the cap, salaries will not have to match for trades to work. Meaning, we can take on a huge salary and give them significant cap relief (which the Hornet's franchise desperately needs) for practically nothing.

Essentially we could give them Chandler for Paul and Okafur. I'm not saying this has a likely chance of happening but more to show how easily we can make a trade worth looking into. This would give them massive cap relief, massive.

Say we give them Chandler and Douglas for Paul and Okafur. Sign a few other players to fill out the roster and save about $6 mil in cap space for next year.

Then sign Melo next year.

PG-Paul
    SG-??? (Anthony Morrow?)
    SF-Gallo
    PF-Melo
    C-Okafur

Im all for it but for the love of God, change the jersey number. The Knicks should just retire that number all together.

It's cursed.

Veteran

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Don't forget, since we are under the cap, salaries will not have to match for trades to work. Meaning, we can take on a huge salary and give them significant cap relief (which the Hornet's franchise desperately needs) for practically nothing.

Essentially we could give them Chandler for Paul and Okafur. I'm not saying this has a likely chance of happening but more to show how easily we can make a trade worth looking into. This would give them massive cap relief, massive.

Say we give them Chandler and Douglas for Paul and Okafur. Sign a few other players to fill out the roster and save about $6 mil in cap space for next year.

PG-Paul
    SG-??? (Anthony Morrow?)
    SF-Gallo
    PF-Melo
    C-Okafur
    I don't think we have the cap room to sign Melo if we get Paul and Okafor, though...not sure on that one, however.

And while the Hornets probably don't want to part with CP3, seeing Darren Collison play probably tempts them at the thought of saving almost 50 million dollars over the next 3 years.

Superstar

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

PG-Paul
    SG-??? (Anthony Morrow?)
    SF-Gallo
    PF-Melo
    C-Okafur

Their payroll is at 73 mil right now going into next year. Getting rid of Paul + Okafur and adding Gallinari + Chandler lets say, puts them at 53 mil. So is it really their goal to be at the salary cap instead of over it and be one of the worst teams in basketball?

I really can't see any way they trade Paul...just doesn't make sense.

Okafur, by himself should be tradable no? He was traded last year with the same contract...if they are that desperate there will be a team willing to pay him. His contract right now is 4 years/50 mil...that's probably what he would get as a FA if he were one now in my opinion.

Dallas would be a good fit...Okafur for Dampier, then New Orleans can buy out Dampier. Even the Knicks can get Okafur for next to nothing if they are that desperate because like you said they don't have to match payrolls.

So I don't get how Chris Paul HAS to be traded in all of these rumors.

I don't understand how anyone could want Paul over James...

Paul would make us an average team/a little above average...it'd be nice to have a pg to run stuff right and make some nice passes - but he's not good enough to make us a serious winning team.... and that's not simply because of his skills, he'd make us a great team as much as a PG could...

James would make us an immediately championship-possible team...James can do it all consistently..

cp3 is a great pg, but lets not be unrealistic about him in comparison to James and the impact each would have.

Another tsunami of media BS. The guy's not even a FA.

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    Another tsunami of media BS. The guy's not even a FA.
    Doesn't have to...if we don't sign one or two max contracts, we'll have the cap space to absorb his contract in a trade for let's say Wilson Chandler. Might happen, if the Hornets are really up for sale.