Can Somebody Tell Me, In Their Opinion, How Good Sprewell Really Was?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Back in the 90s-early 2000s...I was 10-11, I don't remember, but you get the point.I didn't analyze players abilities.Infact I usually just watched the Knicks in the Playoffs.After about 2001 I didn't watch basketball much at all anymore until 2008.Then I started watching it a lot, even getting League Pass.Although I'm no basketball expertise, I have fairly decent knowledge of the game I'd say.

So anyway, whenever I look at a Sprewell video, whether it be a mix or clips, it seems like he was one of the most versatile players.He had so many moves.Was fast, exciting, etc.How good was his defense?Put him in the 2010 FA in his prime, would you consider him?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Extremely athletic slasher who could bust out 35 on any given night. Extremely good defender who loved to over play the passing lane for a steal leading to a fast break. Could dunk like a beast and had a decent jump shot. Sometimes used to bring up the ball and played SF most of the time.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Put him in the 2010 FA in his prime, would you consider him?

Yes at like 10-13 mil a year. He is not a #1 option but made for a solid #2 option and #1 defensive stopper. I would put him in an Artest caliber class of players.

clumsy

Rotation player
Actually i think a lot of credit has to go to Jeff Van Gundy on how Latrell played as a Knick.

Kiyaman

Legend
Actually i think a lot of credit has to go to Jeff Van Gundy on how Latrell played as a Knick.

u must not have seen Spree 40 point nights as a GS Warrior.
Spee brought the ENERGY better than any NBA player I ever seen.
On any given night Spree ENERGY had his teammates playing from their heart.
Spree had Ron Artest kicking over MSG computor monitors for winning a game where the Knicks were down by 20 in the 4th qtr.

CoolClyde

Spree

the most aggressive Knick ever, from offense to defense.
slashing, burning, driving, dunking, roaring past defenders.
always taking it to the next level. clutch shooter.
just a great Knick!

first player kicked off the team c/o James "Clueless" Dolan,
leading to the downfall of the Knicks as we know them now.

clumsy

Rotation player
Nothing wrong with Latrells offensive game. He's just not a number 1 option...too streaky.

He also wasn't number one on Golden State. That golden state team was fun as hell to watch Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin and Spree.

New New York

Quiet Storm
When he got to NY still drove the ball hard to the rack! Dunks that made top 10 higlight reels back when Vince first came into the League

Even the Defensive monsters that were the 99 Spurs could not shut the boy down! Could take over a game on both ends of the floor!!!

In his latter years relied too heavily on the Jumper! Also he was the epitomy of a one handed player!

But His Heart and Hustle put him in the same class as Knick legends like Oakley and Mason in that regard

Top 10 Knick guard for sure!

p0nder

Starter
Good player with athletic ability. Was so damn aggressive you would of thought the rim said something about f--kin his momma. Just straight uip gritty play all the time. I remember him playing with a broken toe/foot for a long while in that stretch to get in the playoffs. He just never quit on a play.

While he had tremendous heart and hustle he was streaky and emotional. I remember him for his massive dunks and while they weren't the most fancy, 360 degree stylish dunks Vince was throwing down, they were ferocious and down right scary.

Talent wise, he was a good role player. As mentioned, not a #1 option and if we based the analysis on his skills, probably not a #2 either. But he just played so damn hard and demanded the ball and forced his was into that role. (Kinda wish he was with the organization now to fire up Gallo).

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
That Knicks team didn't have a bonafide first option. I love Houston and Spreewell to death, but they were both amazing 2nd options. Spree was a great energizer. My dream is Wilson Chandler someday becoming as good as Spree (I know I'm dreaming lol).

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
That Knicks team didn't have a bonafide first option. I love Houston and Spreewell to death, but they were both amazing 2nd options. Spree was a great energizer. My dream is Wilson Chandler someday becoming as good as Spree (I know I'm dreaming lol).

If I see Chandler fast break down the court and ram down a two handed dunk that would be beyond anything I could imagine.

I love that video ever since I saw it about a couple years ago, metro.Amazing.

Thanks for the responses so far, everybody!

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
u must not have seen Spree 40 point nights as a GS Warrior.
Spee brought the ENERGY better than any NBA player I ever seen.
On any given night Spree ENERGY had his teammates playing from their heart.
Spree had Ron Artest kicking over MSG computor monitors for winning a game where the Knicks were down by 20 in the 4th qtr.

LOL KIYAMAN I wacthed that game on league pass when I was in 11th grade in Arizona. LOL ron was pissed he got fined 10,000 I think for breaking that video equipment......:2cents:

pakopako

Benchwarmer
That scared me as a kid

Yeah... Definitely an Artest-class player. Angry, hot-headed, and very dangerous to be around. To be honest, I thought Spree would get more Fouls and Technicals than were allowed.
I won't argue that he played very well, but was just mortified what would happen at the game every time he put on a jersey.

I guess giving fans that much of a reaction is probably a good thing for a player to have.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The problem with evaluating Spree is he most athletic days were spent toiling away in Golden State. Those games were never on TV..... The Spree we saw was the post "choke" Spree.

What I loved about Spree is that he was a very streaky scorer, but always contributed in other was until his jumper started falling. He would get a board, a steal, d somebody up, then get hot a light it up.

I used to love our "big" backcourt with Spree and Houston. I honestly think that was the best 1-2 in Knicks uni's since Walt and Earl. Ahhh... the good ole' days.....

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
The problem with evaluating Spree is he most athletic days were spent toiling away in Golden State. Those games were never on TV..... The Spree we saw was the post "choke" Spree.

What I loved about Spree is that he was a very streaky scorer, but always contributed in other was until his jumper started falling. He would get a board, a steal, d somebody up, then get hot a light it up.

I used to love our "big" backcourt with Spree and Houston. I honestly think that was the best 1-2 in Knicks uni's since Walt and Earl. Ahhh... the good ole' days.....

Could Gallo+Chandler one day replicate the successes of those two? Houston's my favorite player of all time, but I think Gallo will be better than him. I dont think Chandler will be as good as Spree though.