ESPN rates Dantoni's first 2 seasons as coach

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Are you kidding me? THIS is your reference?

The only "ties" here is the fact that Kobe's DAD played with Dantoni in Italy. I'm pretty sure Kobe respects him as a fellow basketball figure, but I highly doubt he would sign to a team just because Dantoni is coaching it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...008-05-10_mike_dantoni_a_legend_in_italy.html

You should learn to READ in to posts instead of making BOLD assertions in CAPITAL letters.

I was merely disproving lilman's point that D'Antoni would "hinder" 2010 plans "if anything".

Clear succinct sources:

Kobe Bryant: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...008-05-10_mike_dantoni_a_legend_in_italy.html (BOTTOM OF THE PAGE)

One of D'Antoni's biggest fans was the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, who grew up in Italy during the height of D'Antoni's European career. When Bryant entered the NBA with the Lakers in 1996, he chose to wear No.8 and it was widely reported that Bryant picked that number because D'Antoni once wore it with Olimpia Milano. -NY Daily News

LeBron James: http://www.countdown2lebron.com/home/node?page=27

eBron was not shy about letting people know about how much he loves D'Antoni. "Asked about being around D'Antoni the past few days, James raved, "It's been great. He's one of the best coaches we have in the league. He's going to bring that style to the East Coast. And I'm very excited for him and very happy for him."

"I have dreamed about playing well in this building," James said. "To me, it has overtaken anything I have dreamed about. To get a standing ovation in the greatest basketball arena in the world is a dream come true to me. It's one of the best things that have ever happened to me." - LeBron James

Joe Johnson: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/s...Mike_DAntoni_but_Knicks_may_be_hard_sell.html

We’ve got great history together,” he said of his relationship with D’Antoni, for whom he played three seasons in Phoenix, averaging 16.7 and 17.1 points the last two.

“My career really took off with D’Antoni. He pretty much let me free-wheel out there on the court. He’s a great guy and I try to keep in contact with him and his coaching staff.”

There seems to be a reoccuring admiration...wouldn't yuh say? No where in my post does it say that I think this admiration gets us our max guy, but I DO (see I can do capital letters for emphasis as well) believe that Mike D is not "hindering" any attempt at getting a max player. That much is obvious.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Do you watch Knicks basketball, or basketball at all for that matter? Mike D'Antoni exchanges hugs and keeps in contact with the NBA's elite including LeBron, Carmelo, and Kobe. Judging by your basketball knowledge you've displayed, you probably didnt even know tha Mike D was an Olympic assistant coach with all of the noted players. Kobe has stated publically that he admires D'ant, so much so that there was talk of Kobe joining the 2010 free agent class because of his ties with Mike D, and its obvious he has CLEAR connection with some of the NBA's elite.

BULLSHUUUUUT!!!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...008-05-10_mike_dantoni_a_legend_in_italy.html

You should learn to READ in to posts instead of making BOLD assertions in CAPITAL letters.

I was merely disproving lilman's point that D'Antoni would "hinder" 2010 plans "if anything".

Clear succinct sources:

Kobe Bryant: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...008-05-10_mike_dantoni_a_legend_in_italy.html (BOTTOM OF THE PAGE)

LeBron James: http://www.countdown2lebron.com/home/node?page=27

Joe Johnson: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/s...Mike_DAntoni_but_Knicks_may_be_hard_sell.html

There seems to be a reoccuring admiration...wouldn't yuh say? No where in my post does it say that I think this admiration gets us our max guy, but I DO (see I can do capital letters for emphasis as well) believe that Mike D is not "hindering" any attempt at getting a max player. That much is obvious.

This post is damaging...lol. Kats called you out and you represented.

Kiyaman

Legend
I think I have to explain myself more clearly KIYAMAN. Cuz I think you and other are blinded by your hate for D'antoni.

Now let's leave out Dantoni, cuz if he gets canned. Fine with me. Let's pretend he was fired already and they resign every single player on this team for a guaranteed 10 year contracts.

......you with me...........

THERE IS NO COACH IN THIS WORLD, THAT CAN IMPROVE THIS TEAM. THERE IS NO COACH IN THE WORLD THAT WILL BRING THIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS. NONE. ALL THESE PLAYERS ARE LOCKED FOR 10 YEARS AND NEVER AGE.

YOU CANNOT WIN WITH DUHON AS YOU PG, LEE AS A SHORT ARMED CENTER.

CANNOT WIN WITH HARRINGTON AS YOUR BEST SCORING THREAT. CANT WIN WITHOUT DEFENSIVE PLAYERS.

PAT RIELY COULDNT COACH THIS TEAM, HELL HE HAD A TEAM WITH DWAYNE WADE ON IT AND THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED ELITE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO PLAYERS BESIDES WADE.

All you guys want is scapegoat. I hope they fire D'antoni and resign all these guys and hire a hall of fame coach (oh yea we did that with Lenny Wilkens and Larry Brown).......

KIYAMAN, dont give me that stupid article. YES HE FAILED. BUT HIS FAILING WAS INEVITABLE. WHy cant you people understand that. Anyone and I mean anyone who took this job 2 years ago was doomed.

Im only frustrated at the fact that people feel that Dantoni is the main problem and not the players. A masterful carpenter cant build a table without adequate tools.

Dont you think if Lebron and wade was here we would win alot more games. Ofcourse.

Now if wanna talk championship, thats different. But we are no where near that. And I cant blame any coach in that position.

Dantoni was given all of Isiah Thomas players to coach, and 50% of Isiah's players were some decent NBA role-players that add strong depth to a team.

Marbury playing in China this season, proves he wouldve been a big piece off the Knicks bench last season to add with bench players Nate & Chandler.

Thanks to Dantoni putting players into his "DNP" dog-house for two seasons, that Walsh traded all Isiah's players (plus 3 first round draft picks) for this fake H.S. team roster of tier-3 and 4 players that makes the Knicks a D.League team.
Read the clarity of the article above (Nike dont want to be apart of a failure franchise). u mention if Lebron or Wade was on the Knicks.....ha ha ha....they both would do the samething Ron Artest did to Donnie Walsh on the Indiana Pacers "demand to be traded". When Artest left the Pacers.....the Pacers became BUMS.

u mentioning players like Duhon (Damntoni selection) and Harrington (Walsh selection), Duhon need a backcourt partner like Marbury, Nate, or Crawful, and Harrington need to be in a frontcourt with Zach & Lee, or Lee & Balkman.
I gave the Knicks a "C-" minus on the 2009 trade deadline, and a big "F" for the 2010 trade deadline.
What did u give the Knicks for their transaction in both trading deadlines?
and why?

Blumatic

Rotation player
Dantoni was given all of Isiah Thomas players to coach, and 50% of Isiah's players were some decent NBA role-players that add strong depth to a team.

Marbury playing in China this season, proves he wouldve been a big piece off the Knicks bench last season to add with bench players Nate & Chandler.

Thanks to Dantoni putting players into his "DNP" dog-house for two seasons, that Walsh traded all Isiah's players (plus 3 first round draft picks) for this fake H.S. team roster of tier-3 and 4 players that makes the Knicks a D.League team.
Read the clarity of the article above (Nike dont want to be apart of a failure franchise). u mention if Lebron or Wade was on the Knicks.....ha ha ha....they both would do the samething Ron Artest did to Donnie Walsh on the Indiana Pacers "demand to be traded". When Artest left the Pacers.....the Pacers became BUMS.

u mentioning players like Duhon (Damntoni selection) and Harrington (Walsh selection), Duhon need a backcourt partner like Marbury, Nate, or Crawful, and Harrington need to be in a frontcourt with Zach & Lee, or Lee & Balkman.
I gave the Knicks a "C-" minus on the 2009 trade deadline, and a big "F" for the 2010 trade deadline.
What did u give the Knicks for their transaction in both trading deadlines?
and why?

C'mon man. Walsh was not making GM moves. He was a capologist.

Dantoni did wrong by Steph, I agree. But Steph was not going to lead this team anywhere. Now thats my opinion so it doesnt hold water but saying that he would have lead this team falls on deaf ears when he had his chance to lead this team before Dantoni, his attitude is hindering to his own and his teammates progress. You realize the only major drama this year was basketball related. Marbury please, Isiah (the guys who brought him hear) barely played him the th 4th qtr of games. That says something.

Yea Dantoni dished out a lot on DNPs but can you really say that those players were too important to keep off the court. Hughes, Nate, Duhon, that played well in portions of the season, then its nothing from them.

All the moves are made for this summer, now all those player we acquired, are gone.

I think you REALLY underestimate how bad this team is. Its been 6 years since Isiah's hire,, and its the same team, same result, 5-6 different coaches. The NBA like to fire coaches left and right, and the bad teams are still the same bad teams.

KBlack25

Starter
That would be really sad, if the Knicks traded 3 first round picks(Jordan Hill, 2011 pick, 2012 pick) and several scorers(Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson) for the sake of getting Carlos Boozer in 2010.

Not doubting that at all. Believe me, if the grand 2010 plan was to sign Carlos Boozer to a max or near-max deal, I will be livid. But to say that D'Antoni is hated by players around the league is quite ludicrous in my opinion, that's all.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer

This is coming from the same guy who says we have talent good enough and could have a winning % of .450....why the contradicitons? Is "tier 3 or 4" talent good enough to achieve that?

Most certainly not.

Cut the D'Antoni bias and start living in reality. It's almost as if you aren't a Knicks fan. You bash our current players, and personel's every move, claiming that your opinion would bring the Knicks to a ".450" record and a playoff spot.

JOKES.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't think anybody can rationally blame D'Antoni's failures on our team's records. Let's face it - we suck. Our players are terrible, none of them is any good, and they're overpaid and don't care. Our team going 29-53 is hardly surprising - I mean, who thought we were actually going somewhere? To blame D'Antoni for the Knicks sucking would be silly - I doubt any coach could've done better.

But I CAN blame D'Antoni for making stupid moves that aren't conducive to our team's future. D'Antoni played Chris Duhon for half the season while he should've been playing Toney Douglas (cause, let's face it, Duhon sucks). D'Antoni was starting David Lee at center when he could've put David Lee at PF and put the better defensive player JORDAN HILL in at Center. D'Antoni was starting David Lee at center against big men like Dwight Howard when he could've been playing DARKO, who is an excellent shotblocker and defensive center.

You can't blame D'Antoni for losing - our players suck, and Phil Jackson couldn't have coached this team to a .500 record. But there's no excuse for letting our rookies sit there on the bench and rot away while we're playing veterans who have no part in being part of our team. Developing our youth was ALWAYS more important than making it to the playoffs (LOL playoffs), 2009 wasn't important, it was 2010 that REALLY mattered.

Now, instead of having a decent team, we let the likes of Jordan Hill slip away to Arizona (where he's shown himself to be a good shotblocker and rebounder even though he's been given limited time), we forced the likes of Darko out of New York to Minnesota where he's been an excellent shotblocker and defensive center for them, we played Chris Duhon for half the season when Toney Douglas proved himself to be a superior player as soon as he got regular playing time, and now we've got some problems.

Doesn't seem to make sense.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Point being that you can't blame D'Antoni for our team's abysmal record.

You CAN, however, blame D'Antoni for all those DNP-CD you saw next to Jordan Hill and Darko's names. Even my dad was wondering why Darko never played and D'Antoni was dressing a 6-8 natural PF as our starting center instead of a shotblocking 7 footer

Paul1355

All Star
Seriously

Point being that you can't blame D'Antoni for our team's abysmal record.

You CAN, however, blame D'Antoni for all those DNP-CD you saw next to Jordan Hill and Darko's names. Even my dad was wondering why Darko never played and D'Antoni was dressing a 6-8 natural PF as our starting center instead of a shotblocking 7 footer
the abysmal record was because of a lack of "energy" and will to play hardand hustle...This is the coaches fault. Any other coach would be fired by now...Walsh is giving Mike D one of the best passes I have seen in years. Coaches are getting fired like it's nothing, and many did a better job than Mike D is now.

6 million per year for having no reason to why his team doesn't play hard enough to win basketball games and compete.

6 million a year to teach no defense whatsoever just like he did in Phoenix.

6 million a year to show that Mike D's "genius offensive mind" is all about chucking up shots and driving to pass out to anyone on a three point line, basically playing the opposite of aggresive basketball by drawing fouls and driving towards the hoop for high percentage shots.

O yea we can't blame Mike D.
The CEO of a failing company should always get the pass.

To be honest, I gave Mike D credit for winning 29 games this year. Take these factors, most of which have already been mentioned, into consideration:

1) Our team was garbage. As noted, the Knicks have been a team of over-payed role players for a while and no coach could have won with this rag tag group of players. The roster was built to disappear this off season, mission accomplished. Which leads to my next point...

2) All of our players knew they were being used for their expiring contracts. They also knew they had no expectations. The players could have tossed it in at any point. The fact that Mike D almost got to 30 wins, with this team of underachievers and selfish players, shows me that he did do a decent job of motivating them, simply because they didn't have any true motivation, outside of their upcoming contracts, which almost all will shrink exponentially anyway.

3) All of those DNP-CD's towards the end of the year were given in order to get a better look at the guys who will be back on our team next year. Gallo was essentially a rookie b/c of all of the time he missed last year and I think had a pretty good first year. Toney Douglas got some valuable learning experiences also. There's no point to having al harrington chuck up 25 shots per game at 35% when he won't be around next year.

Anyone who thinks this team should have been .500 is delusional, plain and simple. Our real goal wasn't even to get better over the last few years, it was to put ourselves in a flexible cap position to ensure success in the future. Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich couldn't have gotten to the playoffs with this squad, even in the east.

Red

TYPE-A
the abysmal record was because of a lack of "energy" and will to play hardand hustle...This is the coaches fault. Any other coach would be fired by now...Walsh is giving Mike D one of the best passes I have seen in years. Coaches are getting fired like it's nothing, and many did a better job than Mike D is now.

6 million per year for having no reason to why his team doesn't play hard enough to win basketball games and compete.

6 million a year to show that Mike D's "genius offensive mind" is all about chucking up shots and driving to pass out to anyone on a three point line, basically playing the opposite of aggresive basketball by drawing fouls and driving towards the hoop for high percentage shots.

Right!

Understand this: "no coach could've done any better" is an ATTEMPT to grasp at straws and is an opinion based on fantasy.

We are looking at D'Antoni... not another coach... he had opport.'s and failed at in HIS contributions... NO ONE SAID "Its his fault"- which is another desperate attempt to skew the facts.

D'Antoni's POOR DECISIONS are why he isn't good NOT THE KNICKS RECORD!!

Kiyaman

Legend
C'mon man. Walsh was not making GM moves. He was a capologist.

Dantoni did wrong by Steph, I agree. But Steph was not going to lead this team anywhere. Now thats my opinion so it doesnt hold water but saying that he would have lead this team falls on deaf ears when he had his chance to lead this team before Dantoni, his attitude is hindering to his own and his teammates progress. You realize the only major drama this year was basketball related. Marbury please, Isiah (the guys who brought him hear) barely played him the th 4th qtr of games. That says something.

Yea Dantoni dished out a lot on DNPs but can you really say that those players were too important to keep off the court. Hughes, Nate, Duhon, that played well in portions of the season, then its nothing from them.

All the moves are made for this summer, now all those player we acquired, are gone.

I think you REALLY underestimate how bad this team is. Its been 6 years since Isiah's hire,, and its the same team, same result, 5-6 different coaches. The NBA like to fire coaches left and right, and the bad teams are still the same bad teams.

u still dont get it.......
Marbury was the best player on the Knicks when D'Antoni became headcoach.
Marbury accepted the role of coming off the bench to become that 6th man of the year in his final season contract. Marbury knew better than any other player on the team all his Knick teammates offensive talents, plus he was the best "tutor" for bum Duhon.

For Damntoni to have great success in New York, he was suppose to take advantage of all Isiah Thomas offensive players to get as many wins as possible before the trading deadline, he needed Marbury, Crawful, and Zach offensive styles on the team for those WINS.
Those first season "WINS" wouldve helped out the "2010-Plan" tremendously as far as player for player trades.
The NBA had alot of weak teams during the 2008-9 season inwhich the Knicks couldve gathered alot of wins with a bench depth chart of Marbury, Nate, Chandler, Balkman, Malik, Jefferies, and Lee.
The Knick Players stock wouldve risen sky high.

Hint: if Damntoni wouldve made the Curry & Zach tandem work using Lee, Balkman, Chandler, and Harrington as in between frontcourt players....D'Antoni wouldve won the coach of the year.
Especially, with Eddy Curry being the only player coming into training-camp as usual out of shape.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
u still dont get it.......
Marbury was the best player on the Knicks when D'Antoni became headcoach.
Marbury accepted the role of coming off the bench to become that 6th man of the year in his final season contract. Marbury knew better than any other player on the team all his Knick teammates offensive talents, plus he was the best "tutor" for bum Duhon.

For Damntoni to have great success in New York, he was suppose to take advantage of all Isiah Thomas offensive players to get as many wins as possible before the trading deadline, he needed Marbury, Crawful, and Zach offensive styles on the team for those WINS.
Those first season "WINS" wouldve helped out the "2010-Plan" tremendously as far as player for player trades.
The NBA had alot of weak teams during the 2008-9 season inwhich the Knicks couldve gathered alot of wins with a bench depth chart of Marbury, Nate, Chandler, Balkman, Malik, Jefferies, and Lee.
The Knick Players stock wouldve risen sky high.

Hint: if Damntoni wouldve made the Curry & Zach tandem work using Lee, Balkman, Chandler, and Harrington as in between frontcourt players....D'Antoni wouldve won the coach of the year.
Especially, with Eddy Curry being the only player coming into training-camp as usual out of shape.

SO you think we would have made the playoffs with Marbury coming off the bench? First, it's all speculation and hindsight on your part. Second, after trading away our best talent there was no saving the last two seasons. Third, playing Marbury does nothing to advance our 2010 goal.

The guy was an emotional cancer and was practically DNP on the Celtics and now is toiling away in China. If he had some worth don't you think there would have been ONE NBA team to offer him a min contract? I guess Dant controls every team in this league now...

EDIT**Advocating for us to keep Zach and Crawford only shows you are a poor judge of talent. Yes, these guys at the time were our two best players but they did not compliment one another nor did they have a surrounding cast capable of maximizing their skills. Further they would have hampered Lee's progression.

Kiyaman

Legend

The record the last two seasons were b/c the Knick-players lost interest in applying any effort and energy for the headcoach and management whom main plans were to TANK the Knick season.

"Every player will start out with a clean slate".....that comment boosted up the moral of the Knick-Players, untill the treatment of Marbury & Curry at the start of the season. And the comment became a big "LIE" to all the Knick-Players when Donnie Walsh close friends Dunleavy (clippers) and Mullins (warriors) teams got off to one of the worst losing records after both G.M. spend so much money in the offseason to become a playoff team.
Donnie Walsh made trades to help those teams rather than help the Knicks.....Mobley failed the physical with a career-injury, inwhich a first round pick was supposed to be added for the Knicks to accept the trade.