Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67

Thread: ESPN rates Dantoni's first 2 seasons as coach

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,788
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Dedicated to Kiya - ESPN on Damntoni

    This "Thread" I have to dedicate to my 2 years of bashing the celebrity coach Damntoni...

    The Eastern Conference did not have one team in its conference in the 2007-8 season that had half a roster of the so-call "D'Antoni - Players".
    The only team I could think of for coach Damntoni style were:
    The two consecutive Finals team of coach Byron Scott and PG-Jason Kidd N.J. Nets running-offense had been dismantled which was the only team in the Eastern Conference coach Damntoni wouldve had success with.

  2. #17
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    People I hope you realize no matter who the coach is, this team is a 23 or 24 win team.

    Hey you can hate D'antoni. I would matter to me if he got fired. Team was going no where with or without him.

    I think everyone here would love to have Byron Scott b/c he preaches defense. But like D'antoni, he only one with elite point guards.

    If anyone thinks that this team should have been a 40 win team. Then you know nothing about basketball and you're a moron.

    Could they have won 33 games....Sure, but whats the difference.

    This is a tired topic and for the life of me I cant understand why the blame the coach. Sure Mike is a sensitive person and I'm not a big fan of his personality. I think he's a nice guy but he doesnt scream championship to me. But I cannot stand it when the fix the whole problem on Mike.

    In PHX and NY he got stuck with really bad defensive personalities (Suns still dont play D and when they tried to slow it down.....NO PLAYOFFS) So he emphasizes offense. I cant blame him. This team can only score.

    You need players.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,788
    Rep Power
    17

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by Blumatic
    People I hope you realize no matter who the coach is, this team is a 23 or 24 win team.

    Hey you can hate D'antoni. I would matter to me if he got fired. Team was going no where with or without him.

    I think everyone here would love to have Byron Scott b/c he preaches defense. But like D'antoni, he only one with elite point guards.

    If anyone thinks that this team should have been a 40 win team. Then you know nothing about basketball and you're a moron.

    Could they have won 33 games....Sure, but whats the difference.

    This is a tired topic and for the life of me I cant understand why the blame the coach. Sure Mike is a sensitive person and I'm not a big fan of his personality. I think he's a nice guy but he doesnt scream championship to me. But I cannot stand it when the fix the whole problem on Mike.

    In PHX and NY he got stuck with really bad defensive personalities (Suns still dont play D and when they tried to slow it down.....NO PLAYOFFS) So he emphasizes offense. I cant blame him. This team can only score.

    You need players.
    What part of this dont u understand....

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Knicks' D'Antoni has failed to do the job
    Mike <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_0_0>D'Antoni</NOBR> was going to improve the product, at least that was the plan. He was going to entertain the fans with his helter-skelter approach, make the Knicks watchable and credible until they signed some real talent in the summer of the city's wildest hoop dreams.

    Donnie Walsh said so when he hired him. At the introductory news conference, Walsh maintained D'Antoni was the guy "to get our team playing the right way," a prerequisite to seducing free agents who otherwise might be turned off by a franchise showing an alarming lack of hustle and heart on the floor.

    And guess what? Two seasons later, D'Antoni has managed the next-to-impossible: He's done nothing to better a job battered beyond recognition by his predecessors, Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown.


    If your number one plan is to decrease cap-space within the next two seasons....and u have 6 rookie contracts on your roster and the 6th Lottery pick in the 2008 draft, u want a couple of coaches on your staff that have alot of NBA experience developing young core players into decent NBA players (Dantoni and his Phoenix staff did not have any of that experience).

    Donnie Walsh number one goal and plan at the start of the 2008-9 regular season was to win 35 games weeks before the February trading deadline in 2009. This way the previous unsuccessful seasons blame goes straight to Isiah Thomas cluelessness of running an organization, and none of the players are to blame, b/c u want all your players value and trade worth to rise as high assets to help out the 2010 Plan.....so player for player trades during the deadline and offseason are in favor of the Knicks.

    And what did headcoach Mike Damntoni do the last two seasons?
    Damntoni DNP the highest paid player on the team at the start of each season.....decreasing the players trade value to benefit the Knicks purpose...

  4. #19
    Veteran knicksin60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,670
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Mike D'antoni is a phenomenal coach who will only get better.People like to bash him because he didn't win 60 games for the Knicks this season? Why can't anyone give him credit for winning 5 more games than Isiah Thomas? The Knicks have been a better team than they were 2 years ago.Could anyone name me another coach who could lead a group of scrubs to beat the Mavericks, Nuggets, Suns, Celtics, Hawks and Trailblazers all in the same season? In the time that D'antoni has been here we have seen the Knicks draft the future Dirk Nowitzki, David Lee evolve from a third string player into an all-star and Carmelo Anthony express desires to play for the Knicks.I'm sure that if Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach or John Kundla were coaching this Knick team they would win less than 15 games.

  5. #20
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Donnie Walsh number one goal and plan at the start of the 2008-9 regular season was to win 35 games weeks before the February trading deadline in 2009.
    If that was his #1 goal, how come at his introductory press conference the very first goal Donnie Walsh listed (before being competitive) was acquiring cap flexibility?

  6. #21
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    If that was his #1 goal, how come at his introductory press conference the very first goal Donnie Walsh listed (before being competitive) was acquiring cap flexibility?
    Further why would he trade away talent and take back lesser players if his number one priority was winning games. Winning games or making the playoffs would havce been bonus but it was not expected.

  7. #22
    Member NYKnuniversity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Further why would he trade away talent and take back lesser players if his number one priority was winning games. Winning games or making the playoffs would havce been bonus but it was not expected.
    Co-sign. He traded away the core of our winning run in December, and our future lottery to get cap space for this summer...How is that even debatable to say that cap space wasn't Walsh's number one priority?

    Same goes for everyone's genius 2011 plan where we speed off with Carmelo Anthony in to the sunset...ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! 2011 will be a lockout year, in which the owners make adjustments to the CBA to benefit the owners due to the financial pounding most NBA organizations are taking. Why would Anthony leave a situation with a young core that is capable of winning a title, great ownership, smart personel, AND a hefty contract to enter a free agent market that doesn't even guarantee he will paid what he makes now! 2011 supporters are delusional considering we decided to trade away valuable 2011 cap space for 2010 space. It's 2010 or bust. Whether this team was a playoff team this year with D'Antoni's mistakes remains to be seen. We don't have a star, or any serviceable talent at the winning level (no Red, David Lee, Gallo and Will are not a core of a playoff team...no one is arguing that).

    It's 2010 or bust for Walsh, D'Antoni, Gallo, Will, and the rest of our organization and city, and that was the risk Donnie decided he was willing to take when he traded away Jordan Hill and Jeffries.

  8. #23
    Superstar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I don't think it's just D'antoni that's a joke, Walsh is a joke as well. IF we end up getting Wade or James, then thats good...but how does a GM justify paying this lame **** all this money, just to lose games. Truly what is the role of Mike D'antoni? Why pay him X amount of money to coach nothing to a team soon to be gone players? If Walshs' goal was to have cap flexability and nothing else, then he would have been better off spending much less and having someone the likes of Herb Williams coach the team for these two years. Because D'antoni has left no imprint in his two years except continuing a losing attitude. This guys is a piece of **** in my opinon. Look, whether you have a top tier player or not, you coach with what is given to you, you try and make the players you have better, you don't **** on them, you don't take away playing time for personal reasons... If anything that could make potential free agents think twice about coming here and dealing with this dickhead.

    Plain and simple, these past two years has showed how lacking in coaching skills this man is. He has shown that Steve Nash was the real coach over in Pheonix and he was just a figure head... I don't see anything changing,

  9. #24
    Superstar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blumatic

    In PHX and NY he got stuck with really bad defensive personalities (Suns still dont play D and when they tried to slow it down.....NO PLAYOFFS) So he emphasizes offense. I cant blame him. This team can only score.

    You need players.
    A coach can teach defense... unlike hitting a 3, or flying through the air for a 360 dunk, this is one of the things that any professional player can be taught. D'antoni, doesn't have a teaching bone in his body, hence the reason the Knicks and the suns were shyte on the defensive end.

  10. #25
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    I don't think it's just D'antoni that's a joke, Walsh is a joke as well. IF we end up getting Wade or James, then thats good...but how does a GM justify paying this lame **** all this money, just to lose games. Truly what is the role of Mike D'antoni? Why pay him X amount of money to coach nothing to a team soon to be gone players? If Walshs' goal was to have cap flexability and nothing else, then he would have been better off spending much less and having someone the likes of Herb Williams coach the team for these two years. Because D'antoni has left no imprint in his two years except continuing a losing attitude. This guys is a piece of **** in my opinon. Look, whether you have a top tier player or not, you coach with what is given to you, you try and make the players you have better, you don't **** on them, you don't take away playing time for personal reasons... If anything that could make potential free agents think twice about coming here and dealing with this dickhead.

    Plain and simple, these past two years has showed how lacking in coaching skills this man is. He has shown that Steve Nash was the real coach over in Pheonix and he was just a figure head... I don't see anything changing,
    I think his role was one of being patient and waiting for a team to coach. We snatched him up because he was available...not because we thought he would do much these last two years. Most of the time, the coach is the final piece after acquiring competent players. This was different because we needed a new coach and Dant was available even though our team was not ready to reap the benefits of what he and his system bring. I think Walsh seized on an opening to nab an "elite" coach and made the move knowing that it will be a few years before the investment pans out.

    I understand Dant has made mistakes but all coaches do. Those mistakes are magnified by us losing and being in NYC. Dant may be a bust but until he has competent players that can give max effort and run his system I will reserve judgment.

    BTW, to those who think Dant can't develop youth...both Lee and Chandler had their best two seasons under Dant and are steadily getting better. Gallo is now playing better as well adding more dimensions to his game...defense, driving the ball and passing are all things he has learned under Dant.

  11. #26
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    I think his role was one of being patient and waiting for a team to coach. We snatched him up because he was available...not because we thought he would do much these last two years. Most of the time, the coach is the final piece after acquiring competent players. This was different because we needed a new coach and Dant was available even though our team was not ready to reap the benefits of what he and his system bring. I think Walsh seized on an opening to nab an "elite" coach and made the move knowing that it will be a few years before the investment pans out.

    I understand Dant has made mistakes but all coaches do. Those mistakes are magnified by us losing and being in NYC. Dant may be a bust but until he has competent players that can give max effort and run his system I will reserve judgment.

    BTW, to those who think Dant can't develop youth...both Lee and Chandler had their best two seasons under Dant and are steadily getting better. Gallo is now playing better as well adding more dimensions to his game...defense, driving the ball and passing are all things he has learned under Dant.
    I don't agree with that i think that is a European player adjusting to the NBA game on his own.

  12. #27
    Superstar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    I think his role was one of being patient and waiting for a team to coach. We snatched him up because he was available...not because we thought he would do much these last two years. Most of the time, the coach is the final piece after acquiring competent players. This was different because we needed a new coach and Dant was available even though our team was not ready to reap the benefits of what he and his system bring. I think Walsh seized on an opening to nab an "elite" coach and made the move knowing that it will be a few years before the investment pans out.

    I understand Dant has made mistakes but all coaches do. Those mistakes are magnified by us losing and being in NYC. Dant may be a bust but until he has competent players that can give max effort and run his system I will reserve judgment.

    BTW, to those who think Dant can't develop youth...both Lee and Chandler had their best two seasons under Dant and are steadily getting better. Gallo is now playing better as well adding more dimensions to his game...defense, driving the ball and passing are all things he has learned under Dant.
    I wouldn't call him an elite coach, I wouldn't even call him a competent coach. Have you watched the Knicks teams these past 5 years or so? Can you honestly tell me that there is a difference between D'anotni two years, and Thomas 2 years, and Browns 1 year?

    The fact that Lee is having his best season has nothing to do with D'antoni, most players have their best offensive season when playing for shyttty teams where defense is not thought to be important. And plus Lee has shown improvement each year he's been in the league, if anything I put all of Lee's stats on LEE and his willingness to work hard... NOT D'antoni and his unwillingness to work at all

  13. #28
    Member NYKnuniversity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    I think his role was one of being patient and waiting for a team to coach. We snatched him up because he was available...not because we thought he would do much these last two years. Most of the time, the coach is the final piece after acquiring competent players. This was different because we needed a new coach and Dant was available even though our team was not ready to reap the benefits of what he and his system bring. I think Walsh seized on an opening to nab an "elite" coach and made the move knowing that it will be a few years before the investment pans out.

    I understand Dant has made mistakes but all coaches do. Those mistakes are magnified by us losing and being in NYC. Dant may be a bust but until he has competent players that can give max effort and run his system I will reserve judgment.

    BTW, to those who think Dant can't develop youth...both Lee and Chandler had their best two seasons under Dant and are steadily getting better. Gallo is now playing better as well adding more dimensions to his game...defense, driving the ball and passing are all things he has learned under Dant.
    To further your point on Dant, the Knicks snatched him up as a selling piece for free agents. Whether you support Dant or not, there is no denying his respect that he gets from stars around the NBA. He was just as much a part of 2010 plan as LeBron is. He has superstat draw, bad coach or not, so in my opinion, Walsh hired Dantoni to bring in talent and that has yet to seen. I agree with Trill and will reserve my judgement. Doc Rivers went from the worst record in the NBA to NBA champion. Doc Rivers is NOT a defensive minded coach as many label him. Tom Thibedeaux is the heart and sole of that Boston defensive coaching core. Which reminds me...did anyone read the rumor mill about Tom to the Knicks? I think our team would thrive with him on our staff.

  14. #29
    Member NYKnuniversity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    I don't agree with that i think that is a European player adjusting to the NBA game on his own.
    Really? Is it a natural progression to adjust? Most european prospects fail... See Slavko Vranes... It's no coincidence that young players are developing. D'antoni takes a Phil Jackson laizess faire approach to teaching, in which he lets the players make more decisions on the court, which in turn helps players grow on their own. I do not necessarily agree with that kind of teaching, but it won Phil 10 rings...cant complain in that respect.

  15. #30
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    I wouldn't call him an elite coach, I wouldn't even call him a competent coach. Have you watched the Knicks teams these past 5 years or so? Can you honestly tell me that there is a difference between D'anotni two years, and Thomas 2 years, and Browns 1 year?

    The fact that Lee is having his best season has nothing to do with D'antoni, most players have their best offensive season when playing for shyttty teams where defense is not thought to be important. And plus Lee has shown improvement each year he's been in the league, if anything I put all of Lee's stats on LEE and his willingness to work hard... NOT D'antoni and his unwillingness to work at all
    What a convenient narrative....everything that goes wrong is D'antoni's fault but everything that goes right was bound to happen regardless of our coach. Nice! Might I suggest a career in politics?

Similar Threads

  1. D'antoni Accepts Offer to Coach Knicks
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2012, 16:27
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 17, 2011, 10:40
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2008, 15:20
  4. Assistant Ford promoted to replace Ayers
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NBA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 10, 2004, 13:00
  5. Ewing, van Gundy's assistant
    By Swifftey in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 03, 2003, 07:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •