ESPN rates Dantoni's first 2 seasons as coach

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If that was his #1 goal, how come at his introductory press conference the very first goal Donnie Walsh listed (before being competitive) was acquiring cap flexibility?

Further why would he trade away talent and take back lesser players if his number one priority was winning games. Winning games or making the playoffs would havce been bonus but it was not expected.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Further why would he trade away talent and take back lesser players if his number one priority was winning games. Winning games or making the playoffs would havce been bonus but it was not expected.
Co-sign. He traded away the core of our winning run in December, and our future lottery to get cap space for this summer...How is that even debatable to say that cap space wasn't Walsh's number one priority?

Same goes for everyone's genius 2011 plan where we speed off with Carmelo Anthony in to the sunset...ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! 2011 will be a lockout year, in which the owners make adjustments to the CBA to benefit the owners due to the financial pounding most NBA organizations are taking. Why would Anthony leave a situation with a young core that is capable of winning a title, great ownership, smart personel, AND a hefty contract to enter a free agent market that doesn't even guarantee he will paid what he makes now! 2011 supporters are delusional considering we decided to trade away valuable 2011 cap space for 2010 space. It's 2010 or bust. Whether this team was a playoff team this year with D'Antoni's mistakes remains to be seen. We don't have a star, or any serviceable talent at the winning level (no Red, David Lee, Gallo and Will are not a core of a playoff team...no one is arguing that).

It's 2010 or bust for Walsh, D'Antoni, Gallo, Will, and the rest of our organization and city, and that was the risk Donnie decided he was willing to take when he traded away Jordan Hill and Jeffries.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I don't think it's just D'antoni that's a joke, Walsh is a joke as well. IF we end up getting Wade or James, then thats good...but how does a GM justify paying this lame **** all this money, just to lose games. Truly what is the role of Mike D'antoni? Why pay him X amount of money to coach nothing to a team soon to be gone players? If Walshs' goal was to have cap flexability and nothing else, then he would have been better off spending much less and having someone the likes of Herb Williams coach the team for these two years. Because D'antoni has left no imprint in his two years except continuing a losing attitude. This guys is a piece of shit in my opinon. Look, whether you have a top tier player or not, you coach with what is given to you, you try and make the players you have better, you don't shit on them, you don't take away playing time for personal reasons... If anything that could make potential free agents think twice about coming here and dealing with this dickhead.

Plain and simple, these past two years has showed how lacking in coaching skills this man is. He has shown that Steve Nash was the real coach over in Pheonix and he was just a figure head... I don't see anything changing,

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
In PHX and NY he got stuck with really bad defensive personalities (Suns still dont play D and when they tried to slow it down.....NO PLAYOFFS) So he emphasizes offense. I cant blame him. This team can only score.

You need players.

A coach can teach defense... unlike hitting a 3, or flying through the air for a 360 dunk, this is one of the things that any professional player can be taught. D'antoni, doesn't have a teaching bone in his body, hence the reason the Knicks and the suns were shyte on the defensive end.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I don't think it's just D'antoni that's a joke, Walsh is a joke as well. IF we end up getting Wade or James, then thats good...but how does a GM justify paying this lame **** all this money, just to lose games. Truly what is the role of Mike D'antoni? Why pay him X amount of money to coach nothing to a team soon to be gone players? If Walshs' goal was to have cap flexability and nothing else, then he would have been better off spending much less and having someone the likes of Herb Williams coach the team for these two years. Because D'antoni has left no imprint in his two years except continuing a losing attitude. This guys is a piece of shit in my opinon. Look, whether you have a top tier player or not, you coach with what is given to you, you try and make the players you have better, you don't shit on them, you don't take away playing time for personal reasons... If anything that could make potential free agents think twice about coming here and dealing with this dickhead.

Plain and simple, these past two years has showed how lacking in coaching skills this man is. He has shown that Steve Nash was the real coach over in Pheonix and he was just a figure head... I don't see anything changing,

I think his role was one of being patient and waiting for a team to coach. We snatched him up because he was available...not because we thought he would do much these last two years. Most of the time, the coach is the final piece after acquiring competent players. This was different because we needed a new coach and Dant was available even though our team was not ready to reap the benefits of what he and his system bring. I think Walsh seized on an opening to nab an "elite" coach and made the move knowing that it will be a few years before the investment pans out.

I understand Dant has made mistakes but all coaches do. Those mistakes are magnified by us losing and being in NYC. Dant may be a bust but until he has competent players that can give max effort and run his system I will reserve judgment.

BTW, to those who think Dant can't develop youth...both Lee and Chandler had their best two seasons under Dant and are steadily getting better. Gallo is now playing better as well adding more dimensions to his game...defense, driving the ball and passing are all things he has learned under Dant.

clumsy

Rotation player
I think his role was one of being patient and waiting for a team to coach. We snatched him up because he was available...not because we thought he would do much these last two years. Most of the time, the coach is the final piece after acquiring competent players. This was different because we needed a new coach and Dant was available even though our team was not ready to reap the benefits of what he and his system bring. I think Walsh seized on an opening to nab an "elite" coach and made the move knowing that it will be a few years before the investment pans out.

I understand Dant has made mistakes but all coaches do. Those mistakes are magnified by us losing and being in NYC. Dant may be a bust but until he has competent players that can give max effort and run his system I will reserve judgment.

BTW, to those who think Dant can't develop youth...both Lee and Chandler had their best two seasons under Dant and are steadily getting better. Gallo is now playing better as well adding more dimensions to his game...defense, driving the ball and passing are all things he has learned under Dant.

I don't agree with that i think that is a European player adjusting to the NBA game on his own.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player

I wouldn't call him an elite coach, I wouldn't even call him a competent coach. Have you watched the Knicks teams these past 5 years or so? Can you honestly tell me that there is a difference between D'anotni two years, and Thomas 2 years, and Browns 1 year?

The fact that Lee is having his best season has nothing to do with D'antoni, most players have their best offensive season when playing for shyttty teams where defense is not thought to be important. And plus Lee has shown improvement each year he's been in the league, if anything I put all of Lee's stats on LEE and his willingness to work hard... NOT D'antoni and his unwillingness to work at all

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer

To further your point on Dant, the Knicks snatched him up as a selling piece for free agents. Whether you support Dant or not, there is no denying his respect that he gets from stars around the NBA. He was just as much a part of 2010 plan as LeBron is. He has superstat draw, bad coach or not, so in my opinion, Walsh hired Dantoni to bring in talent and that has yet to seen. I agree with Trill and will reserve my judgement. Doc Rivers went from the worst record in the NBA to NBA champion. Doc Rivers is NOT a defensive minded coach as many label him. Tom Thibedeaux is the heart and sole of that Boston defensive coaching core. Which reminds me...did anyone read the rumor mill about Tom to the Knicks? I think our team would thrive with him on our staff.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I don't agree with that i think that is a European player adjusting to the NBA game on his own.
Really? Is it a natural progression to adjust? Most european prospects fail... See Slavko Vranes... It's no coincidence that young players are developing. D'antoni takes a Phil Jackson laizess faire approach to teaching, in which he lets the players make more decisions on the court, which in turn helps players grow on their own. I do not necessarily agree with that kind of teaching, but it won Phil 10 rings...cant complain in that respect.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I wouldn't call him an elite coach, I wouldn't even call him a competent coach. Have you watched the Knicks teams these past 5 years or so? Can you honestly tell me that there is a difference between D'anotni two years, and Thomas 2 years, and Browns 1 year?

The fact that Lee is having his best season has nothing to do with D'antoni, most players have their best offensive season when playing for shyttty teams where defense is not thought to be important. And plus Lee has shown improvement each year he's been in the league, if anything I put all of Lee's stats on LEE and his willingness to work hard... NOT D'antoni and his unwillingness to work at all

What a convenient narrative....everything that goes wrong is D'antoni's fault but everything that goes right was bound to happen regardless of our coach. Nice! Might I suggest a career in politics?

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
To further your point on Dant, the Knicks snatched him up as a selling piece for free agents. Whether you support Dant or not, there is no denying his respect that he gets from stars around the NBA. He was just as much a part of 2010 plan as LeBron is. He has superstat draw, bad coach or not, so in my opinion, Walsh hired Dantoni to bring in talent and that has yet to seen. I agree with Trill and will reserve my judgement. Doc Rivers went from the worst record in the NBA to NBA champion. Doc Rivers is NOT a defensive minded coach as many label him. Tom Thibedeaux is the heart and sole of that Boston defensive coaching core. Which reminds me...did anyone read the rumor mill about Tom to the Knicks? I think our team would thrive with him on our staff.

Really? so you think these two years of D'antoni will draw superstars to playing in NY? C'mon, he has shown, in my opinion, he lacks in every facet of the game. Steve Nash made the offense what it was in pheonix, it is clear to me that D'antoni had no part in it. I don't think it will be D'antoni which will be the lure for potential free agents to come to NY, I think it will be SOLELY TWO REASONS... 1) It'sNew York and 2)they can get MAX contracts.. The fact that D'antoni is the coach might hinder things if anything

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
What a convenient narrative....everything that goes wrong is D'antoni's fault but everything that goes right was bound to happen regardless of our coach. Nice! Might I suggest a career in politics?
Agreed!!! Sounds like someone is looking for someone to point the finger at.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
The fact that D'antoni is the coach might hinder things if anything

I think some players might disagree with you...

Carlos_Boozer said:
I love D'Antoni, he's the dope. Spending time with him in the Olympics, his offensive mindset is unbelievable. He's got the best plays I've ever been around -- on a whim. It's like rappers when they come out on the top of the dome with quotes. He's got plays in the back of his head with plays for that moment.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Really? so you think these two years of D'antoni will draw superstars to playing in NY? C'mon, he has shown, in my opinion, he lacks in every facet of the game. Steve Nash made the offense what it was in pheonix, it is clear to me that D'antoni had no part in it. I don't think it will be D'antoni which will be the lure for potential free agents to come to NY, I think it will be SOLELY TWO REASONS... 1) It'sNew York and 2)they can get MAX contracts.. The fact that D'antoni is the coach might hinder things if anything
Do you watch Knicks basketball, or basketball at all for that matter? Mike D'Antoni exchanges hugs and keeps in contact with the NBA's elite including LeBron, Carmelo, and Kobe. Judging by your basketball knowledge you've displayed, you probably didnt even know tha Mike D was an Olympic assistant coach with all of the noted players. Kobe has stated publically that he admires D'ant, so much so that there was talk of Kobe joining the 2010 free agent class because of his ties with Mike D, and its obvious he has CLEAR connection with some of the NBA's elite.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think some players might disagree with you...

That would be really sad, if the Knicks traded 3 first round picks(Jordan Hill, 2011 pick, 2012 pick) and several scorers(Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson) for the sake of getting Carlos Boozer in 2010.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I think I have to explain myself more clearly KIYAMAN. Cuz I think you and other are blinded by your hate for D'antoni.

Now let's leave out Dantoni, cuz if he gets canned. Fine with me. Let's pretend he was fired already and they resign every single player on this team for a guaranteed 10 year contracts.

......you with me...........

THERE IS NO COACH IN THIS WORLD, THAT CAN IMPROVE THIS TEAM. THERE IS NO COACH IN THE WORLD THAT WILL BRING THIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS. NONE. ALL THESE PLAYERS ARE LOCKED FOR 10 YEARS AND NEVER AGE.

YOU CANNOT WIN WITH DUHON AS YOU PG, LEE AS A SHORT ARMED CENTER.

CANNOT WIN WITH HARRINGTON AS YOUR BEST SCORING THREAT. CANT WIN WITHOUT DEFENSIVE PLAYERS.

PAT RIELY COULDNT COACH THIS TEAM, HELL HE HAD A TEAM WITH DWAYNE WADE ON IT AND THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED ELITE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO PLAYERS BESIDES WADE.

All you guys want is scapegoat. I hope they fire D'antoni and resign all these guys and hire a hall of fame coach (oh yea we did that with Lenny Wilkens and Larry Brown).......

KIYAMAN, dont give me that stupid article. YES HE FAILED. BUT HIS FAILING WAS INEVITABLE. WHy cant you people understand that. Anyone and I mean anyone who took this job 2 years ago was doomed.

Im only frustrated at the fact that people feel that Dantoni is the main problem and not the players. A masterful carpenter cant build a table without adequate tools.

Dont you think if Lebron and wade was here we would win alot more games. Ofcourse.

Now if wanna talk championship, thats different. But we are no where near that. And I cant blame any coach in that position.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
That would be really sad, if the Knicks traded 3 first round picks(Jordan Hill, 2011 pick, 2012 pick) and several scorers(Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson) for the sake of getting Carlos Boozer in 2010.

Well I dont care about losing Crawful or Z-bo, but I agree that only getting Boozer for three first round picks would be quite sad.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
Dantoni's a respected coach among the players.... Donnie is a respected GM, these aren't questions..

More than anything else, FA's being skeptical about NYC is going to come from the question of who will actually get signed and what the roster will look like... Everyone, including the players, know the Knick team roster won't look like it does, but what will it look like? It's not like we have a star that makes another star comfortable signing nice and quick...Like perhaps Paul Pierce in Boston for KG and Ray.. One person is going to have to step up and be the first to sign.. barring no talks between players/agents/teams of 'if you go i'll go' type stuff, which is probably bound to happen.

Donnie will have to find a way to assure players that 'if you come, we can bring in...' so that the process can start... cause even though it's inevitable we get some talent, and everyone knows our salary cap position, who will end up going where is up in the air.. a good thing, and something to become hesitant about, hopefully for not too long though in our case...

nyk_nyk

All Star
Do you watch Knicks basketball, or basketball at all for that matter? Mike D'Antoni exchanges hugs and keeps in contact with the NBA's elite including LeBron, Carmelo, and Kobe. Judging by your basketball knowledge you've displayed, you probably didnt even know tha Mike D was an Olympic assistant coach with all of the noted players. Kobe has stated publically that he admires D'ant, so much so that there was talk of Kobe joining the 2010 free agent class because of his ties with Mike D, and its obvious he has CLEAR connection with some of the NBA's elite.

Okay your really gonna have to verify all this stuff for credibility. Seems like your just saying stuff just to be saying it.

Note: Exchanging hugs with people when the camera is on isn't as meaningful as you think.