ESPN Sophmore Rankings

knicksin60

Starter
Can you please stop posting crap like this. I'll assume it sarcasm but if not then please stop.

Danilo Nowitzki will be a force to be reckon with in a few years.He will lead the league in scoring and will be in the top 3 in rebounding.I don't see how you wouldn't be excited over something like that.Are you really a Knick fan? I know many people that can't wait to see Danilo Nowitzki lead the Knicks to their first championship in close to 40 years.If I could retain my excitement over this, I wouldn't be posting on a forum in which an intelligent human being like yourself is a member of.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Where are the people who said it was totally ridiculous, absurd, wrong, improper, incorrect, ludicrous to compare Dirk to Gallo? Maybe it's not the most perfect comparison, but it does serve at least good enough purpose to have an ESPN writer say exactly what some people on this board have been saying for weeks.

People who say it is crazy to compare Gallinari to Dirk say that, because Nowitzki is a 9x All Star, a former MVP, and a 1x Western Conference Champion.

They also say that, because Nowitzki shot a better field goal percentage, averaged more points, more rebounds, and more assists than Gallinari, in his sophomore season.

Thinking it's crazy to compare Gallinari to Durant, but finding it rational to compare Gallinari too Nowitzki, is contradictory. Nowitzki is much more accomplished than Durant, so if you feel Gallinari can be the next Dirk, you can't get offended if someone says he's not as good as a less accomplished Durant. I never compared Gallinari to Durant or Nowitzki, but since you find him comparable to Dirk, you really have no right to say anything when Jimkchief compares him to Durant.

As for the top 20 sophomore rankings, it is no surprise that Gallinari is in the top 10. When you make the sophomore team, you're almost guaranteed a top 15 spot on the list.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Whatever I write u guys are just going to say I dont like Gallo.

WTF! I'm writing my opinion any way.

Gallo was put in the top 10 circle b/c his coach gave him 34 minutes of playingtime in 81 games.

Other 2nd season players that showed more talent and potential was not able to receive such high minutes of playingtime on their team.

JJ Hickson 20 mpg performance wouldve help the Knicks win more games than Gallo 34 MPG (Gallo made Hickson look like a super-star in the summer league games).....here are some more 2nd season bigmen that wouldve added more wins for the Knicks in the past two seasons:

F/C-Roy Hibbert 24 mpg
C-Jason Thompson 28 mpg
G/F-Anthony Morrow 26 mpg

I did not put down any 2nd season guards b/c practically all the guards wouldve been a great big improvement over Duhon.

Excellent post. I agree. I think Gallinari should have been #15 or 16 on the list, but I understand that since he did have 34 MPG and a spot on the Sophomore team that he would get more recognition than some of the other sophomores.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
First of all, lol :teeth: at this

more of a "JOKE" than this 2010 Dream-on Plan scam sold to Knick-Fans 2 years ago.

Are you one of those disbelievers or something? Think it's some big conspiracy and that we're secretly not under the cap, it's all a big evil plan designed by Dantoni to piss you off and that it'll ultimately leave us no where with nothing... that we would have been better off overpaying awful players and winning 36 games a season...

You really have to be retarded if you think were in anything less than a stellar position right now.. we haven't been this far under the cap in 9 years, and we do it just in time for the biggest free agency of all time - hows that not a dream scenario? What will happen, who knows... but a dream scenario - yup...

I bet your one of the people that was pissed when we traded Crawford or Randolph... one that thought 'just give it time! we don't need a superstar.' or 'lets wait 6 years and build our team w draft picks!' probably all angry we didn't get enough talent in return for some of the trades!... wake up and smell the roses, teams are built by signing superstars, and we're in a better position then we could ever ever hope for.. a better position this off season than we have ever been and ever will be... and even if we don't get who we expect this season, having the opportunity and getting rid of some of the trash that we've dispersed of over the past 2 years will be invaluable to the team and it's future.. but na, it's prob all some scheme dream that all the dumb knick fans bought into that you've got all pessimistically figured out..

As for Gallo..The amount of time a player plays makes no difference to me.. you play the amount of time your given and it is what it is.. I think Gallo has gone through streaks this yr.. I don't recall him ever really taking over a game, or making me think 'wow he's going to be a star..' - but I think he's a good player and has the potential to be a solid starter on a contending team..he's still real young, and if he gets quicker and works on his overall game I think he can become noteworthy.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo's Minutes

I believe that Gallo perhaps received more minutes than the level of his play warranted. However, there is a method to that madness. Gallo needs to develop his game in so many ways. The experience he gained from the minutes played had to be valuable. At least it should make him realize that there is significant need for and room for improvement.

dre48ny

Rotation player
The cock grew this year.

He still has work to do but I don't consider him a bust. Lopez is a solid player, but Gallinari was a good pick as well. He might not be a Nowitzki in the future but he will be a valuable asset. He will be part of a great trio like the spurs with duncan, parker, and ginobili.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. I mean, it was essentially his first full year and he put up 15 PPG while still adjusting to the NBA game. He's transitioning better than most European players - he's having a better year than Andrea Bargnani's first year, for example.

As a person who was downright scared that Danilo wouldn't be any more than a benchwarmer this season, I've got to say that Danilo not only matched our expectations, he outright smashed them to pieces. Danilo's effectively a first-year player, and he put up 15 PPG and showed a hell of a lot of defensive improvement as the year went on.

He's got to work on driving to the basket more but frankly he's gotten better on defense (which was one of our main concerns when we drafted him, and now that's not really as much of an issue) and it was still his first year.

Brook Lopez probably would've been a better pick, yeah. But there's no use worrying about it now, and Danilo is putting up numbers that aren't really all that surprising given he was the 6th pick.

I mean let's look at some of the other 6th picks in the past 10 years:

2000 - DerMarr Johnson (but that was more of just a terrible freak accident)
2001 - Shane Battier
2002 - Dajuan Wagner
2003 - Chris Kaman
2004 - Josh Childress
2005 - Martell Webster
2006 - Brandon Roy
2007 - Yi Jianlian
2008 - Il Gallo
2009 - Jonny Flynn

I mean, let's be honest here - how many of those guys are really outright better than Gallo? Brandon Roy is better, Kaman is better, Flynn is probably better, Battier maybe (because of his defense), but...some of those guys aren't even in the NBA anymore - and Gallo not only is still in the NBA, he has a bright NBA future ahead of him - so let's stop whining about how we drafted a failure at #6 when we could've done much much worse.

Mr.Nine

Rookie
"Yeah. I mean, it was essentially his first full year and he put up 15 PPG while still adjusting to the NBA game.

I mean, let's be honest here - how many of those guys are really outright better than Gallo? Brandon Roy is better, Kaman is better, Flynn is probably better, Battier maybe (because of his defense), but..."]

You can't compare draft classes w/o looking at the talent of each individual class. Some drafts have 1-2 legit superstar combined with 4-5 quality players. Other classes may have 5-7 superstars combined with 8-9 quality players. Some drafts are strong & deep vs weak classes. At this point he is a decent 3 pt shooter which plays a lot of minutes due to his "uncle" coaching. We should have taken Lopez or Thompson @ center, something the Knicks needed & picked him up in a later round or another 3pt threat. Even though he is a Knick the credit of only being 21 is pointless after being hailed as the next big thing. He probably will be like Torkuglu, whom is a good player.

Kiyaman

Legend
First of all, lol :teeth: at this

Are you one of those disbelievers or something? Think it's some big conspiracy and that we're secretly not under the cap, it's all a big evil plan designed by Dantoni to piss you off and that it'll ultimately leave us no where with nothing... that we would have been better off overpaying awful players and winning 36 games a season...

You really have to be retarded if you think were in anything less than a stellar position right now.. we haven't been this far under the cap in 9 years, and we do it just in time for the biggest free agency of all time - hows that not a dream scenario? What will happen, who knows... but a dream scenario - yup...

I bet your one of the people that was pissed when we traded Crawford or Randolph... one that thought 'just give it time! we don't need a superstar.' or 'lets wait 6 years and build our team w draft picks!' probably all angry we didn't get enough talent in return for some of the trades!... wake up and smell the roses, teams are built by signing superstars, and we're in a better position then we could ever ever hope for.. a better position this off season than we have ever been and ever will be... and even if we don't get who we expect this season, having the opportunity and getting rid of some of the trash that we've dispersed of over the past 2 years will be invaluable to the team and it's future.. but na, it's prob all some scheme dream that all the dumb knick fans bought into that you've got all pessimistically figured out..

As for Gallo..The amount of time a player plays makes no difference to me.. you play the amount of time your given and it is what it is.. I think Gallo has gone through streaks this yr.. I don't recall him ever really taking over a game, or making me think 'wow he's going to be a star..' - but I think he's a good player and has the potential to be a solid starter on a contending team..he's still real young, and if he gets quicker and works on his overall game I think he can become noteworthy.

include these teams in the hunt for a top FA too..... Nets, Heat, Wizards, Bulls, Clippers and Timberwolves.
Having the money and none of the top-6 FA wanting to be apart of the chaos new regime Knicks makes alot of sense to u.

Gallo 34 mpg as a starter with the greenlight to shoot anytime or anywhere he want to within those 34 minutes, got Gallo into the rook/solphmore allstar game, and the chance to become a 20 point scorer this season.
How many rookies and 2nd season players were given the same oportunity from their God father coach?

u didnt get the memo before the start of the season "Gallo is the best shooter I ever seen"......meaning what? meaning Gallo was going to have the greenlight to shoot 10 to 15 shot attempts per game.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
include these teams in the hunt for a top FA too..... Nets, Heat, Wizards, Bulls, Clippers and Timberwolves.
Having the money and none of the top-6 FA wanting to be apart of the chaos new regime Knicks makes alot of sense to u.

Gallo 34 mpg as a starter with the greenlight to shoot anytime or anywhere he want to within those 34 minutes, got Gallo into the rook/solphmore allstar game, and the chance to become a 20 point scorer this season.
How many rookies and 2nd season players were given the same oportunity from their God father coach?

u didnt get the memo before the start of the season "Gallo is the best shooter I ever seen"......meaning what? meaning Gallo was going to have the greenlight to shoot 10 to 15 shot attempts per game.
Here we go again with the whining and complaining....

NOTHING YOU SAY IS FACTUAL!!!!

All you do is whine and complain about player's playing time, and how certain players deserve X amount of playing time, when in reality you should be focusing on what ACTUALLY happened.

Fact. You cannot say with ANY certainty whatsoever that "any other player" playing 34 MPG would achieve the same stats as Gallo. You're literally spewing random bullshit out like it's your job. Who knows if Anthony Morrow, Roy Hibbert, or Jason Thompson would be averaging the same stats...because guess what??? THEY DIDN'T PLAY 34 minutes!!! That's the reality of the situation, that you so conveniently choose to neglect (as always).

Normally a Knick's fan would be excited to see one of their own being noted for their improvement this year, yet you scramble AGAIN for whiny bitchass excuses as to why Gallo is being credited.

Your logic is so flawed it's ridiculous. With your logic, I could legitimately say the only reason why Yi Jianlian doesn't average the same numbers as LeBron James is because he doesn't receive 44 mpg....He's a lottery pick right??? Can't I compare them because they both were lottery picks????

All of this nonsense is starting to get out of hand. You should be happy a player on our team was noted for his efforts this season. It shows that this season wasn't COMPLETELY worthless. But instead you choose to whine and make excuses, and for what? To discredit the growth of our team? To discredit the growth of a key part of our future? To cry and bitch about the past?

It's getting sad. The number of whiny, bitchy excuses you use to discredit every move by the Knick's in the right direction almost exceeds the stubbornness you possess.

Talk about a joke....

Kiyaman

Legend
Here we go again with the whining and complaining....

NOTHING YOU SAY IS FACTUAL!!!!

All you do is whine and complain about player's playing time, and how certain players deserve X amount of playing time, when in reality you should be focusing on what ACTUALLY happened.

Fact. You cannot say with ANY certainty whatsoever that "any other player" playing 34 MPG would achieve the same stats as Gallo. You're literally spewing random bullshit out like it's your job. Who knows if Anthony Morrow, Roy Hibbert, or Jason Thompson would be averaging the same stats...because guess what??? THEY DIDN'T PLAY 34 minutes!!! That's the reality of the situation, that you so conveniently choose to neglect (as always).

Normally a Knick's fan would be excited to see one of their own being noted for their improvement this year, yet you scramble AGAIN for whiny bitchass excuses as to why Gallo is being credited.

Your logic is so flawed it's ridiculous. With your logic, I could legitimately say the only reason why Yi Jianlian doesn't average the same numbers as LeBron James is because he doesn't receive 44 mpg....He's a lottery pick right??? Can't I compare them because they both were lottery picks????

All of this nonsense is starting to get out of hand. You should be happy a player on our team was noted for his efforts this season. It shows that this season wasn't COMPLETELY worthless. But instead you choose to whine and make excuses, and for what? To discredit the growth of our team? To discredit the growth of a key part of our future? To cry and bitch about the past?

It's getting sad. The number of whiny, bitchy excuses you use to discredit every move by the Knick's in the right direction almost exceeds the stubbornness you possess.

Talk about a joke....

all that writing to say nothing about facts.....what is a fact is this season was know different from coach Larry Brown (DNP) season and coach Isiah Thomas (DNP) season. Thats Fact....trying writing facts rather than favoritism.

Kiyaman

Legend
You're honestly THEE most annoying poster on this site.

NYKuniversity.....u are the poster becoming annoying.
It's one thing to agree or disagree, but the annoying insults b/c a poster have a differ opinion than u......makes u an annoying poster.

Your boy Gallo is going through a developing stage from Euro B-Ball to NBA B-Ball.
Rookie Douglas and Jordan Hill were suppose to be going through a developing stage from college B-Ball to NBA B-Ball.

Here's where the developing process of Douglas, Hill, and Gallo, alongside of expiring-contract players went wrong......
Damntoni DNP SG-Larry Hughes at the start of the season to give Gallo 30 mpg. Wilson Chandler is not a SG on any team in the NBA!!!

PG-Douglas vs Duhon's poor performance
SG-Hughes and Nate were DNP
SF-Gallo vs Harrington & Chandler's dominating performance
PF-Hill vs Jefferies & Bender's lackadasical performance
C-Lee took it upon himself to develope his double-double skills for next season when he signs with the next-team, inwhich he wont be asked to play the center position.

Knick-fans were not allowed to see a lineup of "Darko & Lee" in the frontcourt with SF-Harrington or SF-Chandler. Or a "Hill & Lee" frontcourt with SF-Harrington or SF-Chandler.

All the Knicks expiring-contract players wanted to make the playoffs so their FA value would rise.....but Damntoni was only interested in one player on the Knicks this season "His Godson Gallo"...

iSaYughh

Starter
The playing of DuDonkey was perplexing, tho until Serg I don't know...I'd still rather have seen Eddie there and have him dish for comedic sake. DuHound was a joke already.

I wanted N8 to start vs. DuHound.

The one bi blight I find with D'Antoni is his PUTRID handling of Darko...

Darko lit i up in every way WE most needed with the Wolves. And, this
meant we coulda had Lee play PF...sighs...

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
all that writing to say nothing about facts.....what is a fact is this season was know different from coach Larry Brown (DNP) season and coach Isiah Thomas (DNP) season. Thats Fact....trying writing facts rather than favoritism.
Fact. You ignored everything I posted (as always).

Fact. You said that players like Jason Thompson, Anthony Morrow, and Roy Hibbert would be averaging better numbers if they were given the same amounts of playing time as Gallo. Talk about favoritism....

Fact. How does that have any merit considering those players DIDN'T PLAY THAT AMOUNT OF PLAYING TIME. There is literally no way to tell what their numbers would have looked like. Heck, there could have been an injury or two that hindered their stats completely. Stating your opinion is one thing, but claiming it to be fact in an argumentative setting is flawed.

I wrote facts, you just chose to neglect them.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
NYKuniversity.....u are the poster becoming annoying.
It's one thing to agree or disagree, but the annoying insults b/c a poster have a differ opinion than u......makes u an annoying poster.

Your boy Gallo is going through a developing stage from Euro B-Ball to NBA B-Ball.
Rookie Douglas and Jordan Hill were suppose to be going through a developing stage from college B-Ball to NBA B-Ball.

Here's where the developing process of Douglas, Hill, and Gallo, alongside of expiring-contract players went wrong......
Damntoni DNP SG-Larry Hughes at the start of the season to give Gallo 30 mpg. Wilson Chandler is not a SG on any team in the NBA!!!

PG-Douglas vs Duhon's poor performance
SG-Hughes and Nate were DNP
SF-Gallo vs Harrington & Chandler's dominating performance
PF-Hill vs Jefferies & Bender's lackadasical performance
C-Lee took it upon himself to develope his double-double skills for next season when he signs with the next-team, inwhich he wont be asked to play the center position.

Knick-fans were not allowed to see a lineup of "Darko & Lee" in the frontcourt with SF-Harrington or SF-Chandler. Or a "Hill & Lee" frontcourt with SF-Harrington or SF-Chandler.

All the Knicks expiring-contract players wanted to make the playoffs so their FA value would rise.....but Damntoni was only interested in one player on the Knicks this season "His Godson Gallo"...
Again you become the hypocrite. I exploited your obvious skepticism about unanimously progressive and GOOD things happening to the Knicks with insults because it is frustrating to see a supposed "fan" hating on my team's every move, and YOU'RE the one with the insults.

They say compromise is key, yet you can't cut the Knicks' management ANY slack. Even when a player of ours is ranked highly on a analysts list of sophomore players, you still find a way to argue your opinion about D'Antoni and about how Gallo is horrible.

When are you going to get it???? Our team is a work in progress. Barring the mistakes our management has made over the past decade, we have a bright future ahead of us with our cap space, Gallo, Will, and Douglas.

Your points about D'Antoni don't belong on this thread...yet you assert them wherever you post. Talk about annoying....

You've gone over it 100 times...we understand your point of view. We were open minded at first, but posting it on threads that have nothing to do with DNPing Larry Hughes and Jordan Hill is what I call "annoying".

"Chandler's dominating performance"

Anyone that calls Wilson Chandler's performance at ANY point in his career "dominating" looses all credibility with me. Weren't you arguing that Will was a 3rd or 4th option earlier??? Will is damn good. But his stats back up the fact that he is in no way "dominant".

Kiyaman

Legend
Anyone that calls Wilson Chandler's performance at ANY point in his career "dominating" looses all credibility with me. Weren't you arguing that Will was a 3rd or 4th option earlier??? Will is damn good. But his stats back up the fact that he is in no way "dominant".

now u r making stuff up.....

your very new here.....my Knick starting lineup 2 years ago in the 2008-9 season had Wilson Chandler in it as our upcoming future star SF.
Nate Robinson as our prime future 6th man combo-guard.
David Lee as our prime future starting PF.
Balkman Tazman was suppose to be our Big-SF (Birdman) off the bench to add depth in rebounding, screening, passing, and speed in our transition game.

What dont u understand.....Chandler is not a SG so he will not dominate at the SG position, especially when his handle is that of a SF. Just b/c Chandler can defend SG and PF does not make him one.

Gallo overall talent and trade-worth is no where as high as Harringtons or Chandler in the NBA. Get that through your thick head...
:barf:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
now u r making stuff up.....

your very new here.....my Knick starting lineup 2 years ago in the 2008-9 season had Wilson Chandler in it as our upcoming future star SF.
Nate Robinson as our prime future 6th man combo-guard.
David Lee as our prime future starting PF.
Balkman Tazman was suppose to be our Big-SF (Birdman) off the bench to add depth in rebounding, screening, passing, and speed in our transition game.

What dont u understand.....Chandler is not a SG so he will not dominate at the SG position, especially when his handle is that of a SF. Just b/c Chandler can defend SG and PF does not make him one.

Gallo overall talent and trade-worth is no where as high as Harringtons or Chandler in the NBA. Get that through your thick head...
:barf:
Where did I say that I thought Chandler WAS a shooting guard? You can look back through all my posts, but I've never said such a thing. I've stated my support for Gallo, but that doesn't necessary denounce my support for Chandler. I think the two can coexist actually, with one of them coming off the bench as a decent 6th man. Whether it is Gallo or Will, it doesn't really matter. They both will get ample playing time, so why should I care?

Further, you continue to ignore what I posted EARLIER (the on topic part) and instead chose to focus on something completely irrelevant to the big picture.

How are you going to respond to what I asserted? I'm still waiting for your reasoning behind calling people out for being off-topic, yet you talk about D'Antoni's playing time decisions and the PAST faults of the Knick's management in EVERY SINGLE thread, whether the thread be about Gallo, the Draft, or even the PLAYOFFS which you claim we would have made even though there is no facts that ASSURE that would be the case.

Last I checked, this thread was about Gallo's ACHIEVEMENT, in which he was named a top 10 sophomore in the NBA. Like i've stated earlier, a true Knick fan would be happy a player of ours is getting exposure and analysts around the league are taking notice to his growth and maturation, transitioning from Euroball to the NBA. No one here is trying to refute your playing time opinions (on this thread in particular...).

My problem with you is not your opinions on D'Antoni. You're entitled to what you think, and to some extent I agree that D'antoni made several errors with the handling of certain players (Darko, Hill, Douglas, Duhon), but c'mon man...really?? Are we really dwelling on what ALREADY occured? I mean things like the topic of this thread should EXCITE you!! Even if you're not a Gallo supporter, it should atleast comfort you to know that we have some TALENT on this squad. Whether it be Will, Gallo or Douglas, I'd be happy with the recognition of each of their growth, and I think everyone one here would agree with me on that.

I'm sure you have basketball knowledge, but you're denying yourself the ability to showcase it because you're caught up on this playing time issue that already occurred. Our season is over!! We're going to have all new players in the locker room of MSG next season. Things like this shouldn't upset you. With the new squad next year, we'll be shifting things around plenty. Who knows if Chandler will be playing SG still, or if Lee is even back at all. That all remains to be seen.

In the meantime, I don't mean to be a hater or anything, it's just irritating to find you complaining about irrelevant, off-topic issues in EVERY single thread I look through. I'm sure you have more to say than just simply bashing on Gallo and Mike D.

knicksin60

Starter
You're honestly THEE most annoying poster on this site.

Why? Because I asked a question? Because if you're a Knick fan you have to act tough, cool and macho in order to fit in with the rest of the intellects on here? Oh please, it's not my fault that I easily piss off the squares and certain people that come here just to talk about a team that most likely isn't going anywhere in the next few years.No need to be tender-hearted about what I post.If you don't like it, don't read it and if you can't resist it, go take a 35 minute walk around the block or go drink a beer.I really shouldn't have to defend myself for being myself.

Last edited: