Hornets "In Love" with David Lee

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
A source tells Marc Berman that the Hornets are "in love with David Lee." The Hornets will not have the cap room to sign David Lee this off-season so a sign-and-trade deal would need to be worked out.
Berman speculates that Chris Paul could be made available if the team believes he will bolt New Orleans in 2012. Also the large contract of Emeka Okafor would presumably be one that the Hornets have interest in shedding to gain financial relief.
Sign and trade for Chris Paul/Darren Collison anyone?

Walsh would be the GOAT if he brought CP3 to NY. Although I really don't see why the Hornets want Lee, that already have an AllStar PF In west. Whatever, better for us :D

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
They probably just wanna S&T him for Okafor and a scrub player. Lee + Curry for Paul and Okafor. Only way I'd do that trade.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
who knows what the details/validity of this is, but it's interesting/good news nonetheless!

If we were able to get our hands on Paul I think we'd be able to dangle him in front of a lot of FAs... I can't even imagine a Paul/LBJ team up.. 'how sweet it is'

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
They probably just wanna S&T him for Okafor and a scrub player. Lee + Curry for Paul and Okafor. Only way I'd do that trade.

You might have to throw in Ill Will.

And I totally agree Knicker...if Paul does come to ny, then I think we will become LeBron's #1 choice.

Paul1355

All Star
Sign and trade for Chris Paul/Darren Collison anyone?

Walsh would be the GOAT if he brought CP3 to NY. Although I really don't see why the Hornets want Lee, that already have an AllStar PF In west. Whatever, better for us :D
I can take Collison and Okafor for Lee....

OR

This might be our chance to get Chris Paul....

Sign and trades can happen...Lee, Chandler, Curry, draft pick for Chris Paul...get an all star...nice young player in Chandler to fill that SF spot and get load of cap space with Curry coming off the books and a pick...i'd do it if i was the Hornets GM.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We'd have to take Okafor's contract for them to begin to even consider giving us anything.

Okafor + Collison for Curry + Chandler seems to be a pretty fair deal. We can part with Chandler because we already have Gallinari, and getting Okafor and Collison fills the shotblocking center need that we have as well as the Point Guard spot that we have.

We end up with:

PG - Collison
SG - Let's assume LeBron James can play SG
SF - Gallinari
PF - Bosh/Lee
C - Okafor

Bench:
Douglas
Walker
Earl Barron
Giddens
McGrady?

That'd be a pretty good team right there. Since Curry and Okafor is basically an exact match in salaries, we'd still have the same amount of cap space as we do right now...it's a pretty big risk to take on Okafor's contract, though - but he IS a shotblocking center and we certainly need one of those.

I personally think that we're probably better off just seeing if we can get Collison - while Chris Paul is a better player, if we get Chris Paul, we only have room for one other free agent.

I mea, let's think about it. Would you rather have:

Chris Paul
LeBron James

OR would you rather have:

Darren Collison
LeBron James
Chris Bosh

I personally think the latter is more desirable for us.

Although I'm not totally sure where David Lee comes in - I suppose David Lee only comes into the picture if we're talking about CP3 - I don't see how a David Lee situation would work with regards to the Okafor circumstance - Curry for Okafor is already a straight up swap that HEAVILY favors the Hornets (especially since Okafor's contract really IS THAT BAD)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Case in point with regards to Collison:

As a starter, he's averaging 18.8 PPG and 9.1 APG on 48.5% shooting and 4.1 TO/G.

Those are better numbers than Paul's first year, and Collison still has room to grow.

Kiyaman

Legend
Collison still need another season or two of CP3 tutoring and guidance each game vs the different types of oposition backcourts. Breaking up the two teammate PG would be bad for Collison's developement.

As for David Lee, he has become NBA teams best reasonable $$$ PF FA to call and offer an offersheet to first on July 1st., especially if your team is in need of a consistent "double-double" PF that compliments his teammates performance. Plus he's experience in dealing with the biggest media circle arround.

The top FA PF: Bosh, Amare, and Boozer "expectations" of their next contracts are much higher than David Lee's.
So who would u call first???

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I guess the Hornets are trying to get Lee to replace Okafor at the center spot. The only way I'd trade Lee for Okafor is if they include Darren Collison and a 2011 unprotected first round pick. They could also take Duhon, if they want.

Kiyaman

Legend
I guess the Hornets are trying to get Lee to replace Okafor at the center spot. The only way I'd trade Lee for Okafor is if they include Darren Collison and a 2011 unprotected first round pick. They could also take Duhon, if they want.

I dont think the Hornets will give up CP3, Collison, West, and Okafor.....the Honets signed 6.8 Posey to give West & Chandler some help in the paint like Posey did with Perkins & KG in Boston.
The Hornets added 6.9 Songailia and 6.9 Diogu to their roster to fit into their frontcourt rotation to add a bigman depth alongside of either Okafor or West.
None of the three bigmen panned out.
So adding a 6.9 David Lee would mean getting rid of all three or two of those bigmen.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Plain and simple if you can get Paul or Collison without giving up Gallinari or a 1st rounder you do it.
Heck...If it means giving up only one 1st rounder I might pull the trigger.

The only way you would trade for the best pg in the NBA is to include curry

dude I would give away any one on our team plus a handful of future lottery picks to get chris paul at this point in his career, injuries or no injuries he is not injury prone, and he instantly makes us a winning team. Add a guy like Amare to the mix

Paul
Chandler
Gallo
Amare
Camby

: )

metrocard

Legend
I would trade

Lee
Chandler
2011 first round pick

for Paul

Knicks will be

Paul
Walker
Gallinari
Harrington
Barron

Bench
Douglas
2010 2nd round pick
Rodriguez

We'll build it up from that.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
I would trade

Lee
Chandler
2011 first round pick

for Paul

Knicks will be

Paul
Walker
Gallinari
Harrington
Barron

Bench
Douglas
2010 2nd round pick
Rodriguez

We'll build it up from that.

If we came away from this off season with Walker, Harrington, and Barron in our starting lineup i'd say it would have been a near failure of a summer. That lineup would maybe get us into the 8th spot, just because Paul is that good. But getting anywhere in the playoffs, no way.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
If we came away from this off season with Walker, Harrington, and Barron in our starting lineup i'd say it would have been a near failure of a summer. That lineup would maybe get us into the 8th spot, just because Paul is that good. But getting anywhere in the playoffs, no way.
he said we'll build it from there... meaning we use our remaining cap space to shake things up. correct me if im wrong, but we'd still have about 24 mil in cap space after getting rid of chandler's 2 mil contract and taking on CP3's 12 or so million.

metrocard

Legend
he said we'll build it from there... meaning we use our remaining cap space to shake things up. correct me if im wrong, but we'd still have about 24 mil in cap space after getting rid of chandler's 2 mil contract and taking on CP3's 12 or so million.

Exactly.

and that line up we would be much better than what we have now because Chris Paul is that good.

Paul in this offense would average 22 ppg and 12 assist with almost 3 steals a game.

Along with Gallinari who on the verge of an 18 ppg season, Barron will help out on the boards, and Harrington can provide 20 ppg and Walker is a GOOD piece and Paul can really elevate his game, Walker has the range, athelicism, toughness, and solid defense to start at the NBA level...

I don't know why you guys front like we need to sign 30 max free agents to have a successful free agent season. Its so overhyped its disgusting me right now.

We just need one guy.

and build around him.

Take our time, we have 2011 too you know and the rest of the future.

Anyone who thinks getting Chris Paul is a "failed" off season just doesn't know shit, in all honesty.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
Of course signing Paul would be amazing.. But unless we get players around him, how's it going to be any different than the way the Hornets are..cp3 is cp3 and i'd obv be happy if we get him regardless.

I know this off seasons hyped, and were going to be in for a awakening when the 'top names' lock themselves down real quick, and were left looking for scraps... and if this were any normal off season, yea signing Chris Paul alone would be great .. but to me it seems like we need to get more than just a real good PG to help this team out, they're certainly going to be available... lets not forget next to Gallo and Chandler, we have a gutted team.

If we can land Paul i think we'd have a good chance attracting another big time player... either that or we'd have to get a good sorrounding squad to go w Paul cause he can't do it alone...and if were left doing that, then you have to wonder if going the Amar'e JJ route would have been better, if that was available etc etc

metrocard

Legend
Nah, be positive.

We get a PG, especially the best in the world, we're NBA contenders automatically.

Paul will make players into players. David West was a nobody before Paul, now he's an All Star PF....Paul is underrated IMO.

Paul comes over to the East, the power shifts totally.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. I suppose I've been underrating CP3 because I want us to cash in on the LeBron James sweepstakes, but CP3 is a top 5 player in the league I think most of us would say, and if we can get him and build around him...

Mike D'Antoni seems to like using the pick and roll, and we've been getting around with a Duhon to Lee pick and roll for a while - imagine what would happen if we take an improved David Lee (his jump shot has improved so much, it'll probably only get better and it's already pretty damn good), and CP3 is so much better than Duhon (and David Lee is so much better than David West) that it'll be one of the better 1-2 offensive combos in the league.

All we need is a ton of defense from there on, and that can be done.