Donnie is thinking of making these moves this off*season

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Great points. Walsh made the mistake of doing whatever the coach Dyke M'Anphony wanted him to do, instead of trying to get the best available players(Brook Lopez, Brandon Jennings, Andre Miller, etc). The Knicks did not need a 2010 plan. All they had to do was draft the right players and wait until 2011, when all of the Knicks' large contracts would have expired, and the Knicks would have been a playoff team. This summer, it's all or nothing for Walsh. And it was his lack of a backbone that got him into this make or break situation.
Now that I can agree with. I do believe we could have been better off building through the draft, and keeping a lot of the players we had under contract until 2011. Even though we probably wont land a player like Melo, we still could have added some nice pieces that would have been more likely to come for more money (ala our cap space).

However, the situation we are in now is not a bad route either. Having cap flexibility is always nice, especially in a loaded free agency class. It's very ballsy to go all out for 2 max contract players, and compromise the current talent of the team, but I hope it works out for the best. I guess this way works as well because even if we strike out this year, we'll have cap flexibility moving forward which will allow us to make free agency moves in the future, and make trades in which the salaries don't have to match. Who knows...maybe Donnie's backup plan is to wait until 2013 when LeBron's three year contract with Cleveland runs out, and get complementary players like Carlos Boozer, or another.

That would be really disappointing initially, but at the same time landing LeBron at any point would be the grand prize. We just wouldn't know it at the time, and it would be annoying...

Red

TYPE-A
Isn't it obvious?

you can't think of a reason why a top tier set of players, that is, two top players, would want to come to NY? really? ... but you can see one wanting to go play in Newark NJ for a team that rivaled the worst season in history this year?

That's because...

Devin Harris & Lopez combined have more value than any players we picked the last ten years!

That means NO team would trade either of these players for our ENTIRE TEAM COMBINED.

Imagine if we had Harris & Lopez, our outlook would be much different. NJ just lacks leadership at the coaching levels.

Red

TYPE-A
If I had to draw an analogy...

like in building a house; you start with the foundation.

Well the Knicks haven't even finalized the blue-prints!

...let alone excavated and poured the concrete. Sh*t, they haven't even decided on a location.

that's how far away we (realistically) are. Teams ahead of us contain maybe: a valid PG or a valid C or anyone that's valid. They have systems in place etc... they are a Few players away from competing. That's MIA-MIL-CHI-CHA, not mentioning playoff mainstays ORL-ATL-BOS. NJ is closer to being turned around than you think.

That's why forward thinkers shunned most of the actions by the FO b/c they knew as far as we were...

years were needed just to even resemble a threat to make the playoffs.

Passing on a big man... passing or not trading up for a PG... by NOW...are you serious?

That's like settling for a plywood foundation versus concrete because it holds for a while and resembles stability- in the long run...

it's not good enough. Do things the "conventional" way and you won't have to go back and retrace steps!

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
To go along with that analogy..

I agree, at this point we are in the 'blueprint' stage.. though it's far from the first step.. the first steps were destroying the old house that we once built on meritocracy and overpaid pieces...now that we've stripped down the entire building, we are left with the remarkable location, which will always be the most appetizing part...

next we have been able to finance / save up for a house that could potentially be the best one on the block... with a bunch of big pieces becoming available this summer to combine with the few that we saved from the old house, we are in a great position to get that foundation set... if we can get the pieces were looking for this summer, that blueprint would take shape real quick and that house would be looking nice

Mark my words....

LeBron James WILL be a knick during the first week of july.

It just wouldn't make sence
for Donnie to trade away TWO draft picks and a rookie just to have a slim chance at LBJ and a nice supporting cast.

Walsh must know somthing we don't.

The NBA wants Lebron in NY. They know how much money they can make in a new york market with a championship contending team. Esspecialy if LeBrons on that team.

This will be next years starting line up.

PG: Toney Douglas/Ricky Rubio
SG: LeBron James
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: Joakim Noah or Okefur

Red

TYPE-A
@Knicker 23...

using our analogy- I thought we all expected Walsh to have the "blue-prints" available when he got here.

and I think we all expected that sturdy foundation (after the demolition) to be built by now.

But really I'm not beefing about not getting Lopez or a guard...

i'm simply assesing the fact that these are still steps we haven't made yet.

Gallo and or Lee are NOT good foundation players.

that means the work and accomplishments we should've/could've had, are now delayed until this offseason- putting this project behind by 2 years.

PS * Coach D'antoni seems to own his own set of bluprints.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Location isn't gonna do crap unless two max free agents decide to play together in NY.Even then, there's other teams they can sign with who's more deep.

Newark isn't a great place, but it's not like NY isn't close.NJ and Chicago are more attractive roster wise.Miami has a lot of money, but they're kind of in the same boat except Wade seems to be going to stay there.

This offseason is not looking good.Best thing to hope for now is for Donnie not to blow the cap space away.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
Mark my words....

for Donnie to trade away TWO draft picks and a rookie just to have a slim chance at LBJ and a nice supporting cast.

The NBA wants Lebron in NY. They know how much money they can make in a new york market with a championship contending team. Esspecialy if LeBrons on that team.

I agree that the NBA would be better and all, but i don't think anyone knows/has any influence on where LeBrons going to go other than himself... given different factors like if they lose/win etc will play a part, there's no way someone like Walsh would know anything more...While James is obviously the guy everyones gunning for, i don't think Donnie did this only to land him... we got under the cap to have the chance to sign some talented players and get this franchise out of it's previously horribly managed financial situation..

I think there's definitely hope for James.. if he leaves, he'll be coming here... he'd never go to Miami, him and Wade can't player together on the same team.. just wouldn't work.... he's not going to NJ till perhaps later on... And Chicago, but i wouldn't count on that.. if he leaves, it's for the big city...

it's either he comes to New York or he stays in Cleveland...it's more likely he'll stay, but it does make sense for him to leave if you think about it.... given we're able to get some additional talent, which if James signs his name, we will be able to do..

I think James knows if he signs here we'd automatically get at least a few other names that will come too..whether it be in the form of another max or a few high talented but not max players.. and i think that group would def. rival, and likely be better, than the group he has in cleveland now.

dave2138

Rotation player
Mark my words....

This will be next years starting line up.

PG: Toney Douglas/Ricky Rubio
SG: LeBron James
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: Joakim Noah or Okefur

How did you get Rubio without giving up Gallinari?

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
i dont know who in the hell thought that we were going to win more than 33 games with a bunch of role players seriously.. mike and donnie came to the knicks with so many sh!T going on already you had jamal , nd zbo good role players but who ever thought we were going to win a championship with them then dont know wat you smokin , then you had curry and james fat Asse$ , ahhhrrr.. the only way was to rebuild from scratch and thats wat we doing ...first of all nash wasnt even drafted by the suns he got drafted by who yeah the MAVS and by what coach did nash become MVP _________ ...hell mike would of had a ring if joe johnson didnt get injured ... plus if mike is all offense and dont teach it he sure had a couple of nice defenders in bell & marion ...Yes mike made a mistake on duhon but who freaking doesn't i guess you learn from them ...

Well I am sure people didn't think the Bucks, who had a worse record than the knicks 2008-2009, could make the playoffs either after ending the 08-09 season the way they did... but guess what, when you draft right, make decent trades, and coach like you care whether you win or lose, your team can win games. D'antoni has clearly showed he doesn't care, and he can't coach a team that isn't run by a top tier point guard... I don't blame just D'antoni, I blame Walsh as well. Draft right and trade right good things can happen. When you make SHlT moves in the front office and on the sidelines, you end up with a SHlT season.

Fluck what D'antoni wants for his system... Start picking guys that can play the game, and if he really is a good coach, then he can make them adapt to his "system"...

iSaYughh

Starter
When have we NOT just picked guys who can play whenever possible (re: because of D'Ant)? What have we done, or not done, to appease this big gay mystery of appeasing D'Ant and his big gay "ways"....:boohoo:

D'Ant has become a big gay scapegoat for people to vent on.

Until he has actually done something truly deleterious to our franchise, or something is done on his express behalf that fcks us to sate this mysterious "agenda" D'Ant has....let's all cool our jets and stop spewing nonsense 24/7 on this issue. This isn't @ lilmanbrkln either, really....I basically agree with him, except for his adherance to part of the Anti-D'Ant Ideology.

The Bucks did well this season for 2 fundamental reasons....the 2 most vital positions in the NBA got filled up for them in a huge, unexpected, swift way:

Bogut actually began playing like a veteran #1 pick at C...and Jennings unexpectedly lit it up at PG and arguably had the biggest impact to their respective team of any rook in the the class.

But our losing season has NOTHING to do with D'Ant. NOTHING. Once more for the deaf boys in the back: NOTHING. And any speculation that he did is tenuous at best, and will have even less veracity when it comes to how he has EFFECTIVELY hurt us when it comes to our future....

He really didn't do jack shit to alter our season or our future seasons. He just coached THE MOST:

dysfunctional
untalented
frankenstein

of a team in the game. Whatever. We all knew this going in.

Except for the deaf crew in the back:

This season wasn't about winning. It doesn't matter what anyone said -- obv coaches and management won't publically SAY to the MEDIA that it's a tankjob season and winning DOESNT matter AT ALL.

Actions speak the loudest, and the writing was on the wall long before. And our mission was ACCOMPLISHED.

In sum, D'Ant's excellence as a coach can neither be proved nor disproved at this point. All we really have his past:

In which case his excellence has been proved pretty good.

And a history lesson...before D'Ant's coaching Nash was a middling PG starter about to enter old age in the NBA. What happened when D'Ant worked his magic offensive skillz and tutelage on him? Perhaps the greatest and most remarkable TRANSFORMATION of a player in the NBA'a history.

I don't know who is going to **** these fools harder with their success. Gallo or D'Ant. At least *we* ALL hope y'all get a prison-hello. :)

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Hey all, there's at least a plus side - if the Nuggets fall to the Jazz in the first round, look for Carmelo to heavily heavily consider bolting from Denver given how close to the finals they were last year

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Stranger things have happened. Do you really think Carmelo wouldn't consider leaving the Nuggets if he got eliminated in the playoffs in the first round two years in a row?

He's going to be thinking about it, at least. He can't possibly be too happy about how the Nuggets are playing right now.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Stranger things have happened. Do you really think Carmelo wouldn't consider leaving the Nuggets if he got eliminated in the playoffs in the first round two years in a row?

He's going to be thinking about it, at least. He can't possibly be too happy about how the Nuggets are playing right now.
But he can be happy about having "Mr. Bigshot", Nene, Afflalo, Jr. Smith, Lawson, Birdman, and Kenyon Martin on his team...

Even when Chauncey grows too old to run the team, they have enough young talent to be good for years.

A lineup of:
PG-Lawson
SG- Afflalo
SF- Melo
PF- Nene
C- Birdman

That team competes for years to come. Not to mention adding some draft picks and more young players....Why would anyone leave that situation in a potential LOCKOUT year.

Tough choice...
Making max money on a perennial contender

or

Not guaranteeing yourself any contract in particular, on a team that most likely will be rebuilding (Knicks, Pacer, Bucks, Pistons, etc.)

He won't even think TWICE about reupping with Denver.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The "perennial contender" thing is the tough part. Two first-round exits for the Nuggets and it begs the question as to whether or not they're worth sticking around for.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Why leave one of the deepest teams in the league before free agency? After his current team can exceed the max contract if they sign him again? Not even an infantecimal chance. Lee will be back with a heap of scrubs on top of our already sub star players.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The "perennial contender" thing is the tough part. Two first-round exits for the Nuggets and it begs the question as to whether or not they're worth sticking around for.

What I wonder is why they struggle with a good team AND Melo...yes Melo is great but is he that great?