Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donnie is thinking of making these moves this off*season

you can't think of a reason why a top tier set of players, that is, two top players, would want to come to NY? really? ... but you can see one wanting to go play in Newark NJ for a team that rivaled the worst season in history this year?

i dont know who in the hell thought that we were going to win more than 33 games with a bunch of role players seriously.. mike and donnie came to the knicks with so many sh!T going on already you had jamal , nd zbo good role players but who ever thought we were going to win a championship with them then dont know wat you smokin , then you had curry and james fat Asse$ , ahhhrrr.. the only way was to rebuild from scratch and thats wat we doing ...first of all nash wasnt even drafted by the suns he got drafted by who yeah the MAVS and by what coach did nash become MVP _________ ...hell mike would of had a ring if joe johnson didnt get injured ... plus if mike is all offense and dont teach it he sure had a couple of nice defenders in bell & marion ...Yes mike made a mistake on duhon but who freaking doesn't i guess you learn from them ...

Originally Posted by KNICKMATIC809
    i dont know who in the hell thought that we were going to win more than 33 games with a bunch of role players seriously.. mike and donnie came to the knicks with so many sh!T going on already you had jamal , nd zbo good role players but who ever thought we were going to win a championship with them then dont know wat you smokin , then you had curry and james fat Asse$ , ahhhrrr.. the only way was to rebuild from scratch and thats wat we doing ...first of all nash wasnt even drafted by the suns he got drafted by who yeah the MAVS and by what coach did nash become MVP _________ ...hell mike would of had a ring if joe johnson didnt get injured ... plus if mike is all offense and dont teach it he sure had a couple of nice defenders in bell & marion ...Yes mike made a mistake on duhon but who freaking doesn't i guess you learn from them ...
    nash was drafted by the suns

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by phantom9000
    nash was drafted by the suns

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    yeah my bad but when he was in dallas .. mike dantoni was a an assistant coach in 2002 and hired in 2003 he was hired as coach then The next season, D'Antoni helped the team to acquire Steve Nash to bring him back

Originally Posted by abcd
    And it was his lack of a backbone that got him into this make or break situation.
    I like that line...

Donnie tried to appease this coach and supported him on multiple occasions, but the mistakes are mounting and he's painting himself into a corner.

I know he felt partly responsible for picking D'Ant and so his rep. is tied to coach but...

now he finds HIMSELF in a "make or break" situation- which he could of avoided.

with all the accolades... there is a reason D'Antoni WAS fired and DIDN'T win it all. We all have flaws, Walsh should have realized coach's and been prepared!

Originally Posted by abcd
    Great points. Walsh made the mistake of doing whatever the coach Dyke M'Anphony wanted him to do, instead of trying to get the best available players(Brook Lopez, Brandon Jennings, Andre Miller, etc). The Knicks did not need a 2010 plan. All they had to do was draft the right players and wait until 2011, when all of the Knicks' large contracts would have expired, and the Knicks would have been a playoff team. This summer, it's all or nothing for Walsh. And it was his lack of a backbone that got him into this make or break situation.
    Now that I can agree with. I do believe we could have been better off building through the draft, and keeping a lot of the players we had under contract until 2011. Even though we probably wont land a player like Melo, we still could have added some nice pieces that would have been more likely to come for more money (ala our cap space).

However, the situation we are in now is not a bad route either. Having cap flexibility is always nice, especially in a loaded free agency class. It's very ballsy to go all out for 2 max contract players, and compromise the current talent of the team, but I hope it works out for the best. I guess this way works as well because even if we strike out this year, we'll have cap flexibility moving forward which will allow us to make free agency moves in the future, and make trades in which the salaries don't have to match. Who knows...maybe Donnie's backup plan is to wait until 2013 when LeBron's three year contract with Cleveland runs out, and get complementary players like Carlos Boozer, or another.

That would be really disappointing initially, but at the same time landing LeBron at any point would be the grand prize. We just wouldn't know it at the time, and it would be annoying...

Default Isn't it obvious?

Originally Posted by Knicker23
    you can't think of a reason why a top tier set of players, that is, two top players, would want to come to NY? really? ... but you can see one wanting to go play in Newark NJ for a team that rivaled the worst season in history this year?
    That's because...

Devin Harris & Lopez combined have more value than any players we picked the last ten years!

That means NO team would trade either of these players for our ENTIRE TEAM COMBINED.

Imagine if we had Harris & Lopez, our outlook would be much different. NJ just lacks leadership at the coaching levels.

If I had to draw an analogy...

like in building a house; you start with the foundation.

Well the Knicks haven't even finalized the blue-prints!

...let alone excavated and poured the concrete. Sh*t, they haven't even decided on a location.

that's how far away we (realistically) are. Teams ahead of us contain maybe: a valid PG or a valid C or anyone that's valid. They have systems in place etc... they are a Few players away from competing. That's MIA-MIL-CHI-CHA, not mentioning playoff mainstays ORL-ATL-BOS. NJ is closer to being turned around than you think.

That's why forward thinkers shunned most of the actions by the FO b/c they knew as far as we were...

years were needed just to even resemble a threat to make the playoffs.

Passing on a big man... passing or not trading up for a PG... by NOW...are you serious?

That's like settling for a plywood foundation versus concrete because it holds for a while and resembles stability- in the long run...

it's not good enough. Do things the "conventional" way and you won't have to go back and retrace steps!

To go along with that analogy..

I agree, at this point we are in the 'blueprint' stage.. though it's far from the first step.. the first steps were destroying the old house that we once built on meritocracy and overpaid pieces...now that we've stripped down the entire building, we are left with the remarkable location, which will always be the most appetizing part...

next we have been able to finance / save up for a house that could potentially be the best one on the block... with a bunch of big pieces becoming available this summer to combine with the few that we saved from the old house, we are in a great position to get that foundation set... if we can get the pieces were looking for this summer, that blueprint would take shape real quick and that house would be looking nice

Mark my words....

LeBron James WILL be a knick during the first week of july.

It just wouldn't make sence
    for Donnie to trade away TWO draft picks and a rookie just to have a slim chance at LBJ and a nice supporting cast.

Walsh must know somthing we don't.

The NBA wants Lebron in NY. They know how much money they can make in a new york market with a championship contending team. Esspecialy if LeBrons on that team.

This will be next years starting line up.

PG: Toney Douglas/Ricky Rubio
    SG: LeBron James
    SF: Danilo Gallinari
    PF: David Lee
    C: Joakim Noah or Okefur

@Knicker 23...

using our analogy- I thought we all expected Walsh to have the "blue-prints" available when he got here.

and I think we all expected that sturdy foundation (after the demolition) to be built by now.

But really I'm not beefing about not getting Lopez or a guard...

i'm simply assesing the fact that these are still steps we haven't made yet.

Gallo and or Lee are NOT good foundation players.

that means the work and accomplishments we should've/could've had, are now delayed until this offseason- putting this project behind by 2 years.

PS * Coach D'antoni seems to own his own set of bluprints.

Location isn't gonna do crap unless two max free agents decide to play together in NY.Even then, there's other teams they can sign with who's more deep.

Newark isn't a great place, but it's not like NY isn't close.NJ and Chicago are more attractive roster wise.Miami has a lot of money, but they're kind of in the same boat except Wade seems to be going to stay there.

This offseason is not looking good.Best thing to hope for now is for Donnie not to blow the cap space away.

Originally Posted by KnicksWillRiseAgain
    Mark my words....

for Donnie to trade away TWO draft picks and a rookie just to have a slim chance at LBJ and a nice supporting cast.

The NBA wants Lebron in NY. They know how much money they can make in a new york market with a championship contending team. Esspecialy if LeBrons on that team.
    I agree that the NBA would be better and all, but i don't think anyone knows/has any influence on where LeBrons going to go other than himself... given different factors like if they lose/win etc will play a part, there's no way someone like Walsh would know anything more...While James is obviously the guy everyones gunning for, i don't think Donnie did this only to land him... we got under the cap to have the chance to sign some talented players and get this franchise out of it's previously horribly managed financial situation..

I think there's definitely hope for James.. if he leaves, he'll be coming here... he'd never go to Miami, him and Wade can't player together on the same team.. just wouldn't work.... he's not going to NJ till perhaps later on... And Chicago, but i wouldn't count on that.. if he leaves, it's for the big city...

it's either he comes to New York or he stays in Cleveland...it's more likely he'll stay, but it does make sense for him to leave if you think about it.... given we're able to get some additional talent, which if James signs his name, we will be able to do..

I think James knows if he signs here we'd automatically get at least a few other names that will come too..whether it be in the form of another max or a few high talented but not max players.. and i think that group would def. rival, and likely be better, than the group he has in cleveland now.

Superstar

Originally Posted by KnicksWillRiseAgain
    Mark my words....

This will be next years starting line up.

PG: Toney Douglas/Ricky Rubio
    SG: LeBron James
    SF: Danilo Gallinari
    PF: David Lee
    C: Joakim Noah or Okefur
    How did you get Rubio without giving up Gallinari?

Originally Posted by dave2138
    How did you get Rubio without giving up Gallinari?
    Draft picks and Bill Walker.