Knicks should look at Kevin Prichard

Paul1355

All Star
It's only a rumor, but a rumor that every Knicks fan should look at since the front office is an area we have had problems with for the past decade, thanks Isiah. Rumor has it that Kevin Pritchard might be out of Portland this year, if Donnie is going to sign any GM it should be this guy.

Pritchard's future in Portland?

9:19AM ET
Portland Trail Blazers

Top Email

Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard held an end-of-season media session Monday and touched on a bunch of topics, including his own fate with the team. Pritchard says there are no indications that he won't be back in Portland next season.
"I can only control what I can control, and right now I'm working on getting ready for the draft," Pritchard told The Oregonian. "It's one thing we've done pretty good."
There was widespread speculation that Pritchard would not be retained after Tom Penn was fired, but that doesn't look like that's going to occur now, or is it?
Dwight Jaynes wrote the following in his blog yesterday: "There is a lot of noise out there right now about Pritchard. I've heard his name connected to two or three teams already, including a couple that don't even have a vacancy yet in their front office. I've also heard he's pretty certain he won't be back and has plans to reunite his entire front office team from Portland in some other locale."

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Great Bball mind??? HUH... The guy made one of the biggest draft day blunders since Sam Bowie was taken over MJ. Deciding to take Oden instead of Durant is inexcusable. Sure he did make a nice trade on draft day by trading for Roy But come on man..... And for those of you who are going to argue "nobody knew Durant would be that good so quick" seriously stop watching basketball. I like Chris Mullin for this team alot more than Pritchard.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Great Bball mind??? HUH... The guy made one of the biggest draft day blunders since Sam Bowie was taken over MJ. Deciding to take Oden instead of Durant is inexcusable. Sure he did make a nice trade on draft day by trading for Roy But come on man..... And for those of you who are going to argue "nobody knew Durant would be that good so quick" seriously stop watching basketball. I like Chris Mullin for this team alot more than Pritchard.
Everyone knew Durant was going to be that good...it's difficult to pass up a legitimate big man though, especially one as touted as Oden was coming out of Ohio State (I think everyone on this forum understands just how important a big man is...).

Pritchard has his team in an excellent position for the future. Sure he doesn't have Kevin Durant, but you failed to mention the combination of young players in Roy, Bayless, Fernandez, Oden, and Aldridge that Pritchard brought it. Not to mention he pulled off trades to get ALL of them besides Oden. He obviously has good relationships with contacts around the league if he's able to pull off move like that.

He has experience building a team with youth, and with Donnie Walsh in the front office with him, I think they could do a great job of building a young team around 2 max contract quality players this off-season.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Great Bball mind??? HUH... .
This would have maybe had SOME validity to it if you had any evidence whatsoever

but then...

I like Chris Mullin for this team alot more than Pritchard

yeah....uhmmm do I really need to say more?

I forgot how great Mullin's basketball mind was working when he dished out multi year deals to Corey Maggette and Ronny Turiaf, let Baron Davis walk, picked Brandan Wright over players like Joakim Noah, Thaddeus Young, Aaron Brooks, and Carl Landry, traded away Stephen Jackson, AND ended up being demoted to cap off his excellent career building a young team. He committed himself and his front office staff to Monte "Chucky the Chucker" Ellis as his future PG, and ended up in lottery once again. Once they got rid of Mullin, they land Stephen Curry, a real point guard of the future, and look to be on track...

:update: FAIL
:thumbsup:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

Oden was touted as the next Bill Russell.
Durant was touted as T-Mac 2.0

Centers>Small Forwards

So I understand why Portland took Oden. Obviously only Durant has lived up to his end of the deal.

Don't forget how he got B-Roy though. Getting Roy for Randy Foye is near incredible. And Lamarcus Alridge or Tyrus Thomas? Another plus. How bout Jaryd Bayless for Brandon Rush? Bayless is going to be clearly better.

Butttttttt......
What is inexcusable is that Portland could have had Cp3 or D-Williams. Instead they got left with Martell Webster. Lol now that's a shame. (He wasn't GM when this happened, I'm just saying how he made up for his previous GM's blunder)

But Pritchard is the real deal. He'd be an amazing successor to Donnie.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
This would have maybe had SOME validity to it if you had any evidence whatsoever

but then...

I forgot how great Mullin's basketball mind was working when he dished out multi year deals to Corey Maggette and Ronny Turiaf, let Baron Davis walk, picked Brandan Wright over players like Joakim Noah, Thaddeus Young, Aaron Brooks, and Carl Landry, traded away Stephen Jackson, AND ended up being demoted to cap off his excellent career building a young team. He committed himself and his front office staff to Monte "Chucky the Chucker" Ellis as his future PG, and ended up in lottery once again. Once they got rid of Mullin, they land Stephen Curry, a real point guard of the future, and look to be on track...

You crack me up.... When was the last time the Blazers won a playoff series? It's been ten years.

Alot of those moves you brought up were influenced by Don Nelson. Seriously you just want to discredit the fact that Mullin put together a pretty good team with great chemistry in 2008 that went on to beat Dallas the #1 seed. Look we all know who is going to be calling the shots for the knicks regardless who the GM is and that's Walsh. I would prefer Walsh to hire someone he is comfortable with and someone who knows the NY landscape. It's just my preference.:flippa:

Last edited:

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Bayless=hasn't done jack.
Fernandez=comes up small.
Aldridge= a big guy shooting jumpers.
Webster=Whoopee
Outlaw=Another skinny guy that shoots jumpers.
Batum=meh...
Oden=Sam Bowie

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Oden was touted as the next Bill Russell.
Durant was touted as T-Mac 2.0

Centers>Small Forwards

So I understand why Portland took Oden. Obviously only Durant has lived up to his end of the deal.

Don't forget how he got B-Roy though. Getting Roy for Randy Foye is near incredible. And Lamarcus Alridge or Tyrus Thomas? Another plus. How bout Jaryd Bayless for Brandon Rush? Bayless is going to be clearly better.

Butttttttt......
What is inexcusable is that Portland could have had Cp3 or D-Williams. Instead they got left with Martell Webster. Lol now that's a shame. (He wasn't GM when this happened, I'm just saying how he made up for his previous GM's blunder)

But Pritchard is the real deal. He'd be an amazing successor to Donnie.

Tmac2.0???? Child please.

Centers>small forwards 20 years ago maybe.

HUh funny thing 1 and 2 in MVP voting this year were small forwards. Quit living in the past.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer

but then...

Funny all these moves happened after Nelson was brought in. These were all Nelson type moves don't kid yourself.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Funny all these moves happened after Nelson was brought in. These were all Nelson type moves don't kid yourself.
Funny how Don Nelson is the coach not the GM. He could have been fired at any point.

Nice excuse for a lack of evidence. It's pretty EVIDENT that Mullin has no business being our GM. I've had enough bad contracts for one decade.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Please, we all know that Nellie is the biggest reason the Warriors are sucking...
So you want to tell me giving Rony Turiaf and Corey Maggette multiple year contracts at inflated prices was Nelson's fault? What happens on the court may be Nelly's fault, but contracts like that are "inexcusable" as you say about everything.

Is is Nelly's fault that Mullin shanked every draft he was a part of as GM? Is it a coincidence that they find a future star the first year he's gone?

Blame it on him all you want, but it's obvious Mullin had a connection to the recent struggles. Hence he was fired....

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Webster=Whoopee
Batum=meh...
Oden=Sam Bowie
Opinions sir....not one fact.

Bayless SHOWED he's capable of dropping 30 when hot. (Check the game log for the EVIDENCE not opinion)

Fernandez has underperformed this year, but has proven he's a capable young player by averaging around 10 points a game off the bench for a deep Blazer's backcourt that includes Andre Miller, Brandon Roy, Bayless, Martel Webster and Rudy.

"Webster=Whoopee"? Does that even warrant a response? Did I even mention him as a part of their young core? He's a solid role player, but nothing more. But I wouldn't consider "whoopee" evidence of his incompetence. Child please yourself Ochobitcho.

Outlaw isn't even on their team...sooo...uhm...

Oden:Sam Bowie::Gallo:Danny Manning

We wont know until he recovers from injury!! Both in Oden's case and Gallo's

Batum starts for Portland and averages around 24 mpg and still manages to put up about 10.1 points a game. That's steady improvement upon his last year's numbers of 5.1 ppg in 19 minutes. He's making undeniable progress as a prospect.

You can use the 2008 team as an example all you want, but it was ultimately Mullin's choice to blow up the "solid core" that he put together. This "core" you speak of consisted of one player: Baron Davis, whom Mullin let walk to the NBA's most pathetic franchise. In return, he signs Biedrins to a multi-year deal, offers Turiaf a ludicrous contract to lure him away from L.A., and takes Maggette off the Clippers hands for a multi-year deal as well. ALL AT INFLATED PRICES. You can cry about the Blazers not winning a playoff series all you want, but how many times did Golden State even SEE the opportunity to do so? ONCE in an entire decade!!!!

We all know how "personal relationships" in the NBA front offices works out. Isiah anyone? I'd much rather have a person that Donnie doesn't feel "buddy-buddy" with so that we keep our eye on the prize: winning the title. Personal relationships blind people to the objective at times, and I'd rather see a "strictly-business" mind set by our front office moving forward.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Opinions sir....not one fact.

Bayless SHOWED he's capable of dropping 30 when hot. (Check the game log for the EVIDENCE not opinion)

Fernandez has underperformed this year, but has proven he's a capable young player by averaging around 10 points a game off the bench for a deep Blazer's backcourt that includes Andre Miller, Brandon Roy, Bayless, Martel Webster and Rudy.

"Webster=Whoopee"? Does that even warrant a response? Did I even mention him as a part of their young core? He's a solid role player, but nothing more. But I wouldn't consider "whoopee" evidence of his incompetence. Child please yourself Ochobitcho.

Outlaw isn't even on their team...sooo...uhm...

Oden:Sam Bowie::Gallo:Danny Manning

We wont know until he recovers from injury!! Both in Oden's case and Gallo's

Batum starts for Portland and averages around 24 mpg and still manages to put up about 10.1 points a game. That's steady improvement upon his last year's numbers of 5.1 ppg in 19 minutes. He's making undeniable progress as a prospect.

You can use the 2008 team as an example all you want, but it was ultimately Mullin's choice to blow up the "solid core" that he put together. This "core" you speak of consisted of one player: Baron Davis, whom Mullin let walk to the NBA's most pathetic franchise. In return, he signs Biedrins to a multi-year deal, offers Turiaf a ludicrous contract to lure him away from L.A., and takes Maggette off the Clippers hands for a multi-year deal as well. ALL AT INFLATED PRICES. You can cry about the Blazers not winning a playoff series all you want, but how many times did Golden State even SEE the opportunity to do so? ONCE in an entire decade!!!!

We all know how "personal relationships" in the NBA front offices works out. Isiah anyone? I'd much rather have a person that Donnie doesn't feel "buddy-buddy" with so that we keep our eye on the prize: winning the title. Personal relationships blind people to the objective at times, and I'd rather see a "strictly-business" mind set by our front office moving forward.

your such a clown.... Show me a GM that hasn't signed anyone to an inflated contract? Your boy Pritchard just gave a ridiculous contract to one Marcus Camby. 2yrs 21mil for a 35 yo injury prone center.... there's no inflation there is there?

And I mentioned Outlaw because guess what he drafted him peanut head.

Your a fool. And if you haven't gotten the gist GM's and head coaches are supposed to have good relationships or guess what? It doesn't work. Take Paxson/Del Negro or Kerr/D'antoni for examples little guy.

Paul1355

All Star
Webster=Whoopee
Batum=meh...
Oden=Sam Bowie
Bayless needs time but he will be a good offensive PG
Everybody on this site has wanted Rudy Fernandez for a while now...he hasn't been getting consistent minutes that he deserves with Roy in front of him
Webster is under rated, makes clutch shots and is a good offensive player
Outlaw got injured this year, before his injury he was like a Wilson Chandler, young SF that everyone said had upside, he still does, i'd take him
Batum is getting better, needs time like Bayless
Oden gets injured alot, but he might be like Amare and stay healthy and then dominate.

Prichard has a young core in Portland that almost knocked off the suns with a rusty injury returning Roy and with Outlaw and Oden gone...imagine if this team was healthy? No one would be complaining because they'd still be in the playoffs

Prichard is one of the top 3 GM's in the NBA.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
your such a clown.... Show me a GM that hasn't signed anyone to an inflated contract? Your boy Pritchard just gave a ridiculous contract to one Marcus Camby. 2yrs 21mil for a 35 yo injury prone center.... there's no inflation there is there?

Your a fool. And if you haven't gotten the gist GM's and head coaches are supposed to have good relationships or guess what? It doesn't work. Take Paxson/Del Negro or Kerr/D'antoni for examples little guy.
Who are you to say if it's inflated or not yet??? He hasn't played past the contract...At the very least, Camby PLAYED for PORTLAND this year, and is a proven hit for the team. Not to mention the much needed veteran leadership in the locker room with the YOUNG CORE THEY HAVE

I'm the fool, yet you pump out sentences like:

What does that even mean?....peanut head. Smfh....

Pritchard dealt him because he was expendable with all the young talent they already had at his position...so the fact that he drafted him is completely irrelevant. Besides, Outlaw is a good player...Kevin Durant's a skinny guy that shoots jumpers, and he's considered one of the best in the league. That's not saying he's Kevin Durant, but Outlaw is a solid role player on any team when healthy.

How bout Jerry Buss/Phil Jackson for an example of BUSINESS GM/coach relationships that work little guy? Phil dates his daughter, and gets in a fight with the whole Buss family, yet wait....he still wins championships. Because guess what? Winning championships is the only business the Lakers are concerned with

Got the gist yet peanut head?

iSaYughh

Starter
The dude is going out of his way to call people clowns and fools when he would plug Chandler in @ C and orgasm just so we could showcase more forwards...:smokin:

Fact: POR is one of the top5 most enviable franchises in the game and Pritchard has been monumental in making that so.

They are stacked for the present and even moresoe the looming future. Let alone if Oden gets healthy.

To take part in what's turning out to be an epic RESULTS-oriented draft blunder and STILL be contending and having an amazing future...

And the Camby contract isn't bad. Overpaying or paying top dollar isn't mutually exclusive with this premise. Sometimes it is necessary if not outright good to overpay some/pay top dollar.

For the reasons NYKnu mentioned this is so while providing a necessary prescence and 2yr insurance for Oden. 2yrs is the perfect window/contract length.

Someone just has a fetish for hating on C's who know how to play D and block shots.

Last edited:

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Bayless needs time but he will be a good offensive PG
Everybody on this site has wanted Rudy Fernandez for a while now...he hasn't been getting consistent minutes that he deserves with Roy in front of him
Webster is under rated, makes clutch shots and is a good offensive player
Outlaw got injured this year, before his injury he was like a Wilson Chandler, young SF that everyone said had upside, he still does, i'd take him
Batum is getting better, needs time like Bayless
Oden gets injured alot, but he might be like Amare and stay healthy and then dominate.

Prichard has a young core in Portland that almost knocked off the suns with a rusty injury returning Roy and with Outlaw and Oden gone...imagine if this team was healthy? No one would be complaining because they'd still be in the playoffs

Prichard is one of the top 3 GM's in the NBA.

Wow... what an excuse laden post. You should be Pritchard's PR guy. Truth is all he has ever done is draft players that look like they are going to be good but never pan out.

Bayless needs time? Bayless is one dimensional and a point guard he isn't. He couldn't even beat Steve Freggin Blake out of a job.

Batum while he looks good now I don't think his ceiling is too high. He looks a little frail to me.

Rudy Fernandez??? He had a perfect opportunity to prove himself in the first round against Phoenix and it took all but 2 games for him to find the pine again after starting. The guy can shoot but that's about it. Heck I even think Gentry was thinking about putting Nash down on the blocks a couple of times when Fernandez tried to guard him.

Oden's career in no way whatsoever resembles Amare's...NONE. Amare had already established himself in the league prior to his injuries Oden hasn't.

And you need to differentiate between Imagination and reality.

If the Dude is so god-like why is he out of work.

It's not just about drafting talent that looks good and all the little kids think there players are awesome looking by themselves. It's Pritchards responsibility to put a team together that can succeed in the post season.