Knicks should look at Kevin Prichard

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I don't know how we're doing the rankings but I'm not sure how the Blazers come out 2nd when their young C (who you guys have been harping on about being super important) is almost as useless as Eddy Curry.

Bulls - Noah (healthy aggressive C), Rose (healthy, explosive, allstar sophomore PG), Gibson (solid forward)... Johnson and Warrick ok young roleplayers.

Grizzlies - Gasol (healthy aggressive C), OJ Mayo (healthy, explosive, allstar sophomore SG), Rudy Gay (allstar SF), Conley (solid young PG), Brewer (solid forward), Thabeet (unproven but potentially decent defensive C).

vs

Blazers - Oden (crocked C), Roy (allstar SG), Aldridge (solid PF), Batum, Fernandez, Bayless, Webster (ok young roleplayers).

What's so special about Portlands young core apart from Roy?

The Grizzlies could potentially lose Gay. They're screwed if they do. They don't have the stability the other franchises do. Conley isn't that good. Mayo is the only star out of who you said. Thabeet is useless until 2 more years or so.

The Bulls have two star pieces. But nothing else.
The Blazers have two star pieces, and a whole cast of good young role players around them. Having Camby makes Oden injury much less hurtful. So even if he can't stay healthy they have a backup. But if Oden can stay healthy, he's better than Noah. Even with only one knee.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Your opinion bro...have fun with it. I'll take winners over potential anyday.

The Blazers have clearly won more than all three lol. And they got more potential than everyone but the Thunder. Sam Presti is a ****ing ape. He's the god of GM's lol. But your vilifying Kevin Pritchard, when he is a very good GM.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
So why is he out of work?

Duncan isn't a center. neither is Gasol. neither is KG. Shaq wasn't even close to his prime. what list?

He's almost out of work because of the field issues. Not with the team. His assistant GM tricked the Blazers owner to give him more money. Paul Allen holds grudges. Which is why he's mad at Pritchard. Not because of his on the field production as a GM.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
The Grizzlies could potentially lose Gay. They're screwed if they do. They don't have the stability the other franchises do. Conley isn't that good. Mayo is the only star out of who you said. Thabeet is useless until 2 more years or so.

The Blazers have two star pieces, and a whole cast of good young role players around them. Having Camby makes Oden injury much less hurtful. So even if he can't stay healthy they have a backup. But if Oden can stay healthy, he's better than Noah. Even with only one knee.

I'm sorry but the Grizzlies Gasol over any portland big man including Aldridge. Aldridge doesn't rebound good enough for his size and at the 4. Conley runs a team much better than Bayless. Gay I think would stay. Zebo over Aldridge easy.

The bulls also still have Deng who is still relatively young and better than Batum.

And Oden as of now can't carry Noah's Jock strap.

smokes

Huge Member

But the ranking is of the teams young core, Camby, losing Gay etc has nothing to do with it.

Who is the 2nd star piece on the Blazers? Aldridge? A 6'11 PF who goes for 18/8 and 0.5 blocks? Mmmm not exactly a star in my eyes.

Even if you just look at the basics the Bulls and Grizz clearly outshine the Blazers in young talent (EVEN if you take away Gay).

Rose/Noah

Gasol/Mayo

vs

Roy

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
The Blazers have clearly won more than all three lol. And they got more potential than everyone but the Thunder. Sam Presti is a ****ing ape. He's the god of GM's lol. But your vilifying Kevin Pritchard, when he is a very good GM.

H2o I'm not vilifying Pritchard I didn't like the great BBall mind label when he passed on Durant to draft oDEN. Major major boo boo on his resume.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
But the ranking is of the teams young core, Camby, losing Gay etc has nothing to do with it.

Who is the 2nd star piece on the Blazers? Aldridge? A 6'11 PF who goes for 18/8 and 0.5 blocks? Mmmm not exactly a star in my eyes.

Even if you just look at the basics the Bulls and Grizz clearly outshine the Blazers in young talent (EVEN if you take away Gay).

Rose/Noah

Gasol/Mayo

vs

Roy

Hey smokes don't forget the THunder...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

Rose/Noah

Gasol/Mayo

vs

Roy

I thought he meant future records, not just the young talent. Portland's got the 2nd best team out of all he said. That's what I meant. And they will continue to be the 2nd best team out of all those 4 in the next coming years imo.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
I thought he meant future records, not just the young talent. Portland's got the 2nd best team out of all he said. That's what I meant. And they will continue to be the 2nd best team out of all those 4 in the next coming years imo.

So they are going to be better than the thunder?

Why? oh Why?

smokes

Huge Member
Hey smokes don't forget the THunder...

I left the Thunder out because they are clearly head and shoulders above the other 3 teams... Durant alone almost outshines the rest (2nd in MVP voting ahead of Kobe and Dwight) add Westbrook Green Harden basically almost every player on their roster is a young gun ready to develop that team into a powerhouse.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I'm sorry but the Grizzlies Gasol over any portland big man including Aldridge. Aldridge doesn't rebound good enough for his size and at the 4. Conley runs a team much better than Bayless. Gay I think would stay. Zebo over Aldridge easy.

The bulls also still have Deng who is still relatively young and better than Batum.

And Oden as of now can't carry Noah's Jock strap.
Gasol > Aldridge? Really? Never in a million years. 6 boards a game is SOLID considering the rebounding is left to Camby, Przy, or Oden, depends on who is healthy and in at center. Not to mention Aldrige is putting up 20 PPG. You don't have to be an NBA2k10 fan to know that when your role is to score, putting up 20 a night is more than substantial. We wanted that from Gallo this year didn't we? Gasol is definitely a legit big man, but Aldridge does exactly what's asked of him and looks dominant when doing it.

Zebo > Aldridge is understandable. He's an all-star player that has proven he can match up against anyone at the 4.

It definitely isn't fair to say Conley runs a team any better than Bayless does, considering Bayless has hardly had any burn running the first team thus far in his career. Not to mention Conley has been sub-par in his attempt at running the Grizz. Without Zebo, that team is still feeding off the bottom of the West with the Warriors, Kings, and the Griffinless Clips.

It's safe to say that the Blazers have the 2nd best core considering that core of young players has advanced the deepest in to the playoffs (judging by the # of playoff appearances in the tougher conference of the NBA) of all the 5 teams mentioned.

In reality, the best two teams for the future are the Magic, and the Lakers. You seem to have strayed from your original argument that Chris Mullin is the right man for the job, and I think it's safe to say he's not. You say you'll take wins over potential anyday, but Chris Mullin is the one who hasn't won shit, and is out of a job...not Kevin Pritchard. If you were arguing to bring in Mitch Kupchack or Otis Smith then your argument of Winning > Potential would be more than valid. The league is about winning championships. However, Mullin, or any of the young teams in the NBA aside from the Thunder have had any more (or equal) success than the Blazers have had over the past few years so your argument for bringing a winner is flawed...considering you are lobbying for Mullin > Pritchard.

Btw..if you say NONE of the NBA's elite are leaving anytime soon, then why wouldn't Rudy Gay leave to be overpaid a team like the Knicks, Nets, Wolves or Wizards? He'll have a lot of interest around the league and I bet you Mike Wallace doesn't open up the check book if Gay gets close to the max from a desperate team.

smokes

Huge Member
Gasol > Aldridge? Really? Never in a million years. 6 boards a game is SOLID considering the rebounding is left to Camby, Przy, or Oden, depends on who is healthy and in at center. Not to mention Aldrige is putting up 20 PPG. You don't have to be an NBA2k10 fan to know that when your role is to score, putting up 20 a night is more than substantial. We wanted that from Gallo this year didn't we? Gasol is definitely a legit big man, but Aldridge does exactly what's asked of him and looks dominant when doing it.

Er you'd rather have a 6'11 PF who averages 18/8 and 0.6 bpg on .495 shooting in 38 minutes at +17 eff....

than a 7'1 C who averages 15/10 and 1.6 bpg on .581 shooting in 36 minutes at +21 eff?

Cmon...

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Er you'd rather have a 6'11 PF who averages 18/8 and 0.6 bpg on .495 shooting in 38 minutes at +17 eff....

than a 7'1 C who averages 15/10 and 1.6 bpg on .581 shooting in 36 minutes at +21 eff?

Cmon...
It depends. If I want a scoring big man who can take over a game, hit clutch shots and be the team leader I want Aldridge. If I want a force in the paint, who plays efficiently behind players who he compliments then I want Gasol. Aldridge is more fit for stardom IMO...Gasol plays well as a compliment.

smokes

Huge Member
It depends. If I want a scoring big man who can take over a game, hit clutch shots and be the team leader I want Aldridge. If I want a force in the paint, who plays efficiently behind players who he compliments then I want Gasol. Aldridge is more fit for stardom IMO...Gasol plays well as a compliment.

Fair comment but considering there are a ton of PF's in this league who can hit 20/10 most of the time and very few legit C's then I still consider Gasol > Aldridge.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Fair comment but considering there are a ton of PF's in this league who can hit 20/10 most of the time and very few legit C's then I still consider Gasol > Aldridge.
Like I said before...it really depends on a team's need. Although very few teams have legit C's its important to have a star caliber player that can put up those 20/10 numbers. For example, if i'm the Nets, i go Aldridge over Gasol. If im the Thunder, I go Gasol over Aldridge. Its very team specific, so I dont know if its fair to say one is more valuable than the other. Its a comparing apples to oranges.

smokes

Huge Member
Like I said before...it really depends on a team's need. Although very few teams have legit C's its important to have a star caliber player that can put up those 20/10 numbers. For example, if i'm the Nets, i go Aldridge over Gasol. If im the Thunder, I go Gasol over Aldridge. Its very team specific, so I dont know if its fair to say one is more valuable than the other. Its a comparing apples to oranges.

Apples and oranges? Not really... The Nets have Brook Lopez who puts up better numbers in every single category than Aldridge by the way. He also fills Gasols quota too so they don't need either of them :p Give them a legit PF instead :lol:

Aldridge is just not a particularly well rounded player. He shoots too many jumpers while not being particularly effective in the post on either end. At least Lee who sucks at post d makes up for it with excellent post offense. Same for Zach Randolph. Same for Carlos Boozer. Same for David West, Jamison (pre cavs), hell I'd even take Josh Smith over Aldridge.

Aldridge should be a good shotblocker/rebounder but isn't, should be good at post d/o but isn't. If he was actually a 20/10 player I would agree with you but he isn't. He isn't a bad player but he isn't up among the elite PF's of the league.

Edit- Just for the sake of it...

PFs who are or are arguably better than Aldridge in no particular order:

Lee
Boozer
Smith
Duncan
Gasol
Jamison
Murphy
Randolph
Bosh
Nowitzki
Stoudemire
Wallace
West
Love
Garnett
Scola
Odom

List of C's who are/are arguably better than Gasol:

Bynum
Howard
Bogut
Lopez
Noah
Kaman

Last edited:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Apples and oranges? Not really... The Nets have Brook Lopez who puts up better numbers in every single category than Aldridge by the way. He also fills Gasols quota too so they don't need either of them :p Give them a legit PF instead :lol:

Aldridge is just not a particularly well rounded player. He shoots too many jumpers while not being particularly effective in the post on either end. At least Lee who sucks at post d makes up for it with excellent post offense. Same for Zach Randolph. Same for Carlos Boozer. Same for David West, Jamison (pre cavs), hell I'd even take Josh Smith over Aldridge.

Aldridge should be a good shotblocker/rebounder but isn't, should be good at post d/o but isn't. If he was actually a 20/10 player I would agree with you but he isn't. He isn't a bad player but he isn't up among the elite PF's of the league.

Edit- Just for the sake of it...

PFs who are or are arguably better than Aldridge in no particular order:

Lee
Boozer
Smith
Duncan
Gasol
Jamison
Murphy
Randolph
Bosh
Nowitzki
Stoudemire
Wallace
West
Love
Garnett
Scola
Odom

List of C's who are/are arguably better than Gasol:

Bynum
Howard
Bogut
Lopez
Noah
Kaman
Neither are elite players. Both are damn good though. Aldridge is a legitimate 2nd option ,however, while Gasol is nothing more than a solid starter (3-5 option). Either would be a treat to have on a team. My point is just that Aldridge can provide the star power/scoring ability to be a second option on offense. He's played 2nd fiddle to Brandon Roy pretty nicely thus far, and it will be nice to see how the two progress together over time now that they are both locked up to long term extensions.

P.S.- I would argue that Aldridge is better than Love, Murphy, and Scola,and Gasol is better than Noah.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
So they are going to be better than the thunder?

Why? oh Why?

Can you read? I said Portland's got the 2nd best teams out of all you mentioned. 2nd to the Thunder. I never said anyone has a better young core than the Thunder. Don't accuse me of saying stuff I never said.

smokes

Huge Member
Neither are elite players. Both are damn good though. Aldridge is a legitimate 2nd option ,however, while Gasol is nothing more than a solid starter (3-5 option). Either would be a treat to have on a team. My point is just that Aldridge can provide the star power/scoring ability to be a second option on offense. He's played 2nd fiddle to Brandon Roy pretty nicely thus far, and it will be nice to see how the two progress together over time now that they are both locked up to long term extensions.

P.S.- I would argue that Aldridge is better than Love, Murphy, and Scola,and Gasol is better than Noah.

I don't consider Aldridge to add "star power". Scoring sure, he could stretch to 20ppg if they ran a couple more plays for him. But his playstyle is, to put it bluntly, boring. You can't have a boring star. Only Brandon Roy on that team regularly brings plays that energize the team and the crowd.

Quite sad actually, since Portland are well reputed for having an electric crowd atmosphere. Remember the days of Mighty Mouse, Pippen, Grant, Smith etc?

I don't consider Aldridge to add "star power". Scoring sure, he could stretch to 20ppg if they ran a couple more plays for him. But his playstyle is, to put it bluntly, boring. You can't have a boring star. Only Brandon Roy on that team regularly brings plays that energize the team and the crowd.

Sorry, but Tim Duncan is quite possibly THE most boring star the league has ever seen and he has won 4 championships. You can have a boring star, some would say it is better that way.