View Poll Results: Can Toney Douglas be our diamond in the rough next season?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a sleeper, watch him shut them down!

12 63.16%
  • I have no confidence in Douglas.

0 0%
  • We need a dynamic PG for D'Antoni's offense. I don't know if TD is that guy.

7 36.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toney Douglas... our diamond in the rough?

Question Mark Toney Douglas... our diamond in the rough?

With point guards: Rondo, Rose, Nelson, Bibby, and Jennings + more...

With our glaring needs including "superstars" and more...

which really means 2max's and a center AND a PG plus reserves...

and given the fact that Douglas is a former ACC Defensive Player of the Year...

Can Toney Douglas be our diamond in the rough? Do you have confidence TD can hang with the best in the East?

In coaching, we know a players most improvement should come b/t his 1st and 2nd year, can we expect a "breakout" season from TD?

Can TD become one of the best "Defensive" guards in the East regardless of the pressure to be this efficient outside shooter? Will his stock rise in your opinions if he were not necessarilly a scorer but more of a defensive presence and pass first facilitator?

I would love that, and obviously it would negate us "needing" another PG who at his point we probably couldn't afford next year.

What's you guy's opinions? Can we look forward to TD making a name for himself. Afterall he's not even mentioned as an enticing part of our FA plans- it's disrespect!

Ehh...he is an undersized combo guard with good defense and a nice J. I think if we nab Lebron he will be adequate since Lebron will be running the offense freeing up TD to spot up and be used for D.

Agreed. The 2, 3 and 4 spots in our starting lineup will fall into place this year in free agency, we just don't know what the pieces will be. No matter who we end up with playing those positions we need to have a solid C and PG to compliment them, they don't have to be stars, they just have to do their job.

TD can defend like hell and this is valuable to have in a young PG because it is always easier to teach offense than defense to an NBA player, especially when Mike D is our coach .

Plus he can shoot the 3 and I anticipate him being better this year because he starting coming on at the end of last year.

However, if it doesn't pan out we can always try to use Curry's contract in a trade during the season for a PG. I am part of the party that supports getting a C over a PG because I think TD can be at least serviceable at the point, especially if Lebron is in the equation.

Superstar

Default Tony Douglas

He is very good defensively and has a good shooting touch, but he does not move or distribute the ball. I saw too much of Nate Robinson in his offense. He is not yet the type of point guard we need.

Veteran

Douglas was a great steal out of the draft/might have had a breakout rookie season if tandem with 2 other guards, but we had poor inferior coaching.

Douglas 2nd season under coach Dantoni ......is not good.

Signing a 2-guard with the capabilities of a Joe Johnson to mold Toney Douglas would be the best thing for this Knick club.
    I just dont see J.Johnson or Amare uniting (again) with coach Dantoni

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Douglas was a great steal out of the draft/might have had a breakout rookie season if tandem with 2 other guards, but we had poor inferior coaching.

Douglas 2nd season under coach Dantoni ......is not good.

Signing a 2-guard with the capabilities of a Joe Johnson to mold Toney Douglas would be the best thing for this Knick club.
    I just dont see J.Johnson or Amare uniting (again) with coach Dantoni
    Alright, I know you hate D'antoni. That is your opinion. However his track record with optimizing the talents of tweeners/ combo guards is very good; see: Leandro Barbosa, Shawn Marion and Boris Diaw (maybe even include Raja Bell and Tim Thomas on that list). I

Regardless of how you feel about D'antoni, one thing is true:Toney Douglas is the only point guard on our roster and we have more pressing issues (acquiring a star or 2, and obtaining a center) Fact is, as of now, D'antoni doesn't have a choice but to play him next year or not, he's our only player resembling a point guard.

Also on the point of D'antoni; he has nothing to do with the off-season work and conditioning that a player may be doing to improve themselves in the off-season, especially in their mental approaches to preparing for the season. I just think that Toney Douglas knows that he is going to be in a situation in which he is going to be getting a lot of minutes (even if it is by default) and he is going to be even more ready to play next season, especially if the like of Lebron and Bosh come through the Garden.

Douglas improved throughout the year (in practice and such) and when the brass finally decided that Duhon would not have a role with the team next year, Douglas was given a chance to prove himself. IMO, in that time Douglas proved that he can at least be a rotation player on this team in the future because of his tenacity on defense and his ability to shoot the outside shot: that is exactly what you want your back-up PG to do, play D, move the ball around and hit the open shot. The most exciting part about all of this is that he was only a ROOKIE.

If we make all the moves and end up with a some combo of a wing player and PF, which is almost a certainty given that all of the top FA's play those positions and we will be set with them for a few years. Gallo will probably be at the 3 which leaves a gaping hole right in the middle at Center which is by far our most pressing need.

In the end, Toney Douglas is going to have to step up next year because we have too many other pieces to acquire and roster spots to fill out for this season. If he doesn't step up then we have more cap space next year and then obtaining a starting PG will become a more pressing need, but we are just going to have to see.

I would love if the Knicks go after Livingston.

If we get Lebron or Wade who can both play point then we are fine. If not Toney D will have to improve his handle and his passing ability to play a pure point guard. Playing him at the 2 is not really an option and without a primary ballhandler all D'antonis offense breaks down.

Here's hoping we get Lebron or Wade.

Default Potential

Douglas should have been the #2 behind Robinson and then the #1 once Robinson was traded.

This guy is a defensive minded PG, which only guys like Rajon Rondo play like.

Douglas just needs his outside shot to be consistent and to be calm during games.

Douglas is either wild all over the place and trying to hard, or he is cool and calm and makes good decisions.

Douglas will show more flashes of that smart player, will show his high IQ the more he plays, and will shine either as a 6th man behind a vet PG we sign or will be the starting PG.

Doulas has to drive to the basket and draw fouls more.

Veteran

Originally Posted by BringHoopinHome2010
    Agreed. The 2, 3 and 4 spots in our starting lineup will fall into place this year in free agency, we just don't know what the pieces will be. No matter who we end up with playing those positions we need to have a solid C and PG to compliment them, they don't have to be stars, they just have to do their job.

TD can defend like hell and this is valuable to have in a young PG because it is always easier to teach offense than defense to an NBA player, especially when Mike D is our coach .

Plus he can shoot the 3 and I anticipate him being better this year because he starting coming on at the end of last year.

However, if it doesn't pan out we can always try to use Curry's contract in a trade during the season for a PG. I am part of the party that supports getting a C over a PG because I think TD can be at least serviceable at the point, especially if Lebron is in the equation.
    "If" we are capable of signing a star FA, within the next 6 months (January 2011) Dantoni will be fired.
    Rookie Toney Douglas shouldve played in all 82 games
    giving fans a better vision of evaluating all the talent he have in his first 82 game season.

Veteran

I dunno if he'll get fired but I do agree that D'Antoni isn't always a good judge of talent.

Honestly I dunno why D'Antoni wasn't giving Jordan Hill and Toney Douglas more minutes (especially when we had Chris DuSUCK starting and playing 40 minutes a game)

I am a mega Douglas supporter. He was ****ing enigmatic when given the chance. Gritty, undeterred, head down, focused, clutch and determined. A real shining light at the end of another rancid season. Rookie mistakes were there of course, but the kid held his own and even won us a couple games.

With a ball dominant star, he'd be a great off ball compliment. A gritty, hard nosed, defensive shooter. So many championship teams have had one.

But he's not a complete PG because of that lack of a passing/creating game. That's fair to say. He averaged 2 dimes in that end of season stint. He is a rookie though and has a chance to complete his game. Given the opportunity.

I really hope he gets that opportunity, and I hope he's not shipped in an attempt to bring in Bosh.

Ideally if he can be a mold of Derek Fisher defensively. That all Id ask for.

His Summer League had gauging stats but in the NBA? He was iite. Like Chris Childs was iite. Solid keeper.

Veteran

He doesn't have to be an amazing passer in the vein of Steve Nash for him to be a pretty successful player.

He plays tough defense. He's a pretty good outside shooter. He's aggressive, and though he's not a great distributor, he seems to be able to improve in that.

If he turns out to be Chauncey Billups-lite, then he'll be a solid starter for years to come.

Veteran

I add because Billups was yet another player who came into the league not a very good passer. Now he's one of the best PGs out there...