Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Options For Curry's Expiring

Question Mark All Options For Curry's Expiring

Here are all the possibilties available for Curry's expiring; meaning, players that have either fallen out of favor with management, bare a contract which their current team cannot afford, or may be overpaid.

Philadelphia:

a) Elton Brand - 3 years 50+ million remaining- Even with trading Curry's expiring for him, his contract would eat up additional cap space.- Compensation: Evan Turner?- Should only be considered if we strike out on all fronts, or possibly if we only land one max

Detroit:

a) Rip Hamilton - 3 years 38 million remainingb) Ben Gordon - 4 years 47 million remaining-Compensation: Stuckey? Mid lotto pick? Future unprotected pick?-Stuckey is nice, but is it unrealistic to think Toney Douglas could become just a notch below him?- Mid lotto pick has no guarantees- Can we bank on them being terrible in 2011 that they'd have a top 3 pick to give us?

Golden State:

a) Andris Biedrins - 4 years 36 million remaining- Fills a need, athletic center who can run the floor, block shots and rebound- His contract is less than Curry's so we'd actually gain an additional 1 million in cap room depending on other considerations.b) Monta Ellis - 4 years 44 million remaining- Supposedly not an efficient player, could wreck havoc in SSOL. Is he a lockerroom cancer? Him as a 2 guard would give us a very undersized front court..-Compensation for either: Mid lotto pick? Anthony Randolph (doubtful)? Brandan Wright (was great in college, are we sure he's not a bust though?)

Clippers:

a) Baron Davis - 3 years 42+ million lleft- cancer? injury prone? shoot first pg. may not be great at developing our young guys.-Compensation - Mid lotto pick

New Orleans:

a) Emeka Okafor - 4 years 52+ million remaining-fills a need-Compensation - Darren Collison

Washington

a) Gilbert Arenas - 4 years 80 + million remainingCompensation: None

feel free to add some other options

every one single one of those options are terrible.
    I say that for the simple fact that they all have multiple year over paying contracts in comparison to one year over paid contract for curry

The only deal you work out for curry is the following

one in which you use curry's expiring contract, along side a chandler, and a draft pick to obtain a player who can help you now, who has a contract that does not run until 2013-14. The idea is to get rid of curry for some one serviceable who expires this year as well. So that you can play some one the minutes curry should be playing, and then have more cap freedom next summer to continue to add to an already rebuilt 2010 squad.

You do not latch onto a player for 10 million a year just to pass up a potential all star in 2011 with that money you just spent on a beidrins lol who will never be an all star in this league.

Veteran

Trading it for a pick would be ideal because that still gives us cap room, plus if the cap goes up for next year (which it most likely will) then we can sign ANOTHER big name free agent if possible. It's not as likely because of the CBA but it's POSSIBLE.

We don't want to be one of THOSE teams that makes the big mistake of overpaying for rarely used big men who are basically one-dimensional shotblockers and nothing else (ie DeSagana Diop, Emeka Okafor though he's a good rebounder, Biedrins, etc.)

Here's an option, Burn it! That fat f**k

If we get lebron, bosh/lee/anyone i would be willing to trade curry for a long term decent c (okafor, biedrins), if not i'd hold on to him. If we're not getting lebrom theres no reason to break the bank when there are a few free agents worth looking at next yr. i definitely dont get rid of a pick unless we get lebron we cant afford another curry deal.

Here is a list of some of the free agents that could be available to us if we let Curry's contract expire:

Al Horford
    Jamal Crawford
    Boris Diaw
    Caron Butler
    Shane Battier
    Marc Gasol
    Zach Randolph
    Jeff Green
    Nick Collison
    Mickael Pietrus
    Samuel Dalembert
    Leandro Barbosa
    Carl Landry
    Tony Parker
    Reggie Evans
    Al Thornton

Curry's contract is worth $11,276,863. Now remember, some of the contracts that we sign this summer will probably have yearly increases in salary. So we will most likely have less than $11 mil to spend next summer.

Forget Melo and Durant. In order to be able to offer a max contract next year, we would have to leave approximately $8 mil on the table this year. I don't see that happening.

The best option for the Knicks is to wait until close to the trade deadline to make a decision. And depending on who we sign this summer will also help in making the decision to trade it or let it expire. The closer we get to the deadline, the more desperate a team will get.

Remember, Dallas got Caron Butler for practically nothing. Charlotte got Stephen Jackson for nothing. The Cavs got Jamison for nothing. And we gave up draft picks for an expiring. We will be in the driver's seat when the deadline approaches.

Although, if Lebron and Bosh sign this summer, we might as well trade Curry for Biedrens or Okafur. We would just need to fill out the roster with good role players and preserving cap space would be pointless.

*Edit* Other players that we could trade for Curry's expiring include:
    Jose Calderon
    Charlie Villanueva
    Corey Maggete + (we could get something very valuable (draft picks, Randolph, etc.) if we take Maggete)
    Andre Igudoula
    Desogna Diop + (probably DJ Augustin)
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Jun 08, 2010 at 09:56.

Originally Posted by KNICKMATIC809
    Here are all the possibilties available for Curry's expiring; meaning, players that have either fallen out of favor with management, bare a contract which their current team cannot afford, or may be overpaid.

Philadelphia:

a) Elton Brand - 3 years 50+ million remaining- Even with trading Curry's expiring for him, his contract would eat up additional cap space.- Compensation: Evan Turner?- Should only be considered if we strike out on all fronts, or possibly if we only land one max

Detroit:

a) Rip Hamilton - 3 years 38 million remainingb) Ben Gordon - 4 years 47 million remaining-Compensation: Stuckey? Mid lotto pick? Future unprotected pick?-Stuckey is nice, but is it unrealistic to think Toney Douglas could become just a notch below him?- Mid lotto pick has no guarantees- Can we bank on them being terrible in 2011 that they'd have a top 3 pick to give us?

Golden State:

a) Andris Biedrins - 4 years 36 million remaining- Fills a need, athletic center who can run the floor, block shots and rebound- His contract is less than Curry's so we'd actually gain an additional 1 million in cap room depending on other considerations.b) Monta Ellis - 4 years 44 million remaining- Supposedly not an efficient player, could wreck havoc in SSOL. Is he a lockerroom cancer? Him as a 2 guard would give us a very undersized front court..-Compensation for either: Mid lotto pick? Anthony Randolph (doubtful)? Brandan Wright (was great in college, are we sure he's not a bust though?)

Clippers:

a) Baron Davis - 3 years 42+ million lleft- cancer? injury prone? shoot first pg. may not be great at developing our young guys.-Compensation - Mid lotto pick

New Orleans:

a) Emeka Okafor - 4 years 52+ million remaining-fills a need-Compensation - Darren Collison

Washington

a) Gilbert Arenas - 4 years 80 + million remainingCompensation: None

feel free to add some other options
    My favorite out of that list are
    Okafor
    Arenas-injuries puts him at 2nd
    Biedrins
    Gordon would be awesome with Mike D
    Hamilton still has skills
    Davis-getting older and did nothing in LA with a better supporting cast
    Brand- I wouldn't touch him for anything

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    My favorite out of that list are
    Okafor
    Arenas-injuries puts him at 2nd
    Biedrins
    Gordon would be awesome with Mike D
    Hamilton still has skills
    Davis-getting older and did nothing in LA with a better supporting cast
    Brand- I wouldn't touch him for anything
    Arenas is an intriguing one. We've all seen what he can do. But so many bad contracts in the past - it'll never happen. Seeing we're under the cap and don't have to match salaries, the only way that trade could be made without me burning down a building would be:

Curry, Lee and Harrington (apparently we can S&T him) and one of our second rounders to fill their needs.

In exchange for:

Arenas, McGee, Blatche and 2 1st rounders.

Would they consider it? Maybe? They won't be geting any offers from elsewhere.

Regardless, Arenas is as washed up as a coconut compared to his former self and it'll very likely never happen. Pointless post really but I'm bored.

^We can sign-and-trade Harrington if we retain his Bird Rights. It's the same as Lee.

Superstar

I wouldn't count on the Knicks signing and trading Harrington..any team over the cap that wants him can just use the MLE to get him. I can't see him getting a big contract anywhere.

Originally Posted by dave2138
    I wouldn't count on the Knicks signing and trading Harrington..any team over the cap that wants him can just use the MLE to get him. I can't see him getting a big contract anywhere.
    I'm not saying the Knicks will, I'm just saying they can. As an alternative to using Lee to get Parker. I realize it is unlikely.

We don't have to renounce anybody's Bird Rights until the last second before a free agent signing.

We may still use Lee + Harrington in a sign-and-trade for one of the max contract players we are going after.

The trade of Curry for Okafor and Collison makes the most sence for both teams. N.O. get cap relief , we get a true starting PG and a real Center that can body up D.Howard and other "Big" Center's for us. Doesn't look to bad....

Collison/TD
    A.Marrow(I hope)/TD/Walker
    Gallo/Walker
    Lee (I hope)/Draft
    Okafor/Barron/Draft

Plus we would save a lot of cap space with this roster of NO MAX PLAYER CONTRACTS!

Originally Posted by OriginalKnickGrandson
    The trade of Curry for Okafor and Collison makes the most sence for both teams. N.O. get cap relief , we get a true starting PG and a real Center that can body up D.Howard and other "Big" Center's for us. Doesn't look to bad....

Collison/TD
    Gallo/Walker
    Lee (I hope)/Draft
    Okafor/Barron/Draft

Plus we would save a lot of cap space with this roster of NO MAX PLAYER CONTRACTS!
    remember anthony morrow is a restricted free agent

Veteran

Originally Posted by OriginalKnickGrandson

Collison/TD
    Gallo/Walker
    Lee (I hope)/Draft
    Okafor/Barron/Draft

Dude. I appreciate moderation and temperance. But you keep trotting out these rosters that save tons of cap and act not only as if it's a good thing, but some majestic wonder...

It'd be an EPIC-FAIL. We have the $$$$ and it's there for a reason. To spend. And in one of the most stacked classes ever.

Bold, powerful moves win right now. Not getting savagely raped for years...

Mortgaging a future of draft picks...

Only to be *****footed in a godly FA class when we -finally- have deep pockets....

Just so we can assemble a mediocre team with a hellacious terribad contract in Okefor while we clog up our PG slot that resembles a lone hole where we could possibly get a stud (Parker) by waiting "one more year".

come draft night i really believe donnie gotta work his MAGIC if he really wants to attract free agents . he gots to make his move ,no time 2 be slacking .. hope he gets something for eddy's expiring .... if he does i'll be 1st step 2 success