Retiring Jerseys?

GetRealistic

Starter
One of my all time favorites. But let's be honest they guy was a solid player who won zero championships and made one all-star team. The rafters in the Garden are reserved for greatness.

But in all honesty if Hakeem doesn't block that shot in game six of 94 Starks, and Oaks jerseys would be retired by now.

Starks

Starter
I think it's overdue. If he suddenly dies, than guaranteed the Knicks would raise his jersey up there. His work with the Knicks to this day really puts him in a position to have a strong backing.

His numbers aren't going to get him into the HOF, but who cares? This is OUR area, and its OUR franchise. No one has to get it but us, and he is one the most beloved players of our age.

I love John Starks. I still have his jersey that I used to wear during games when I was about 10 even though its way too small for me now. He epitomized the heart and grit of New York City and the people who live there and that is why we love those tough teams from the 90's so much (plus that was the last time we were really competitive, sad to say it).

But let's be honest. As much heart as Starks had, it could never quite compensate for his lack of composure and IQ on the court, resulting in us coming up short time and time again.

Jersey retirements are for championship winners and HOFers only.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't remember Starks much because of my age, but the clips I saw of him and what I've heard about his play is inspiring. Somebody truly competitive and passionate about the game.

He shouldn't have his jersey retired though. I would like him to get a Knicks Legend award though like they gave to Knicks players last year. He definitely deserves that.

If anyone is gonna have their jersey retired, it's Bernard King, wasn't on the team long, but was sick.

rw005

Benchwarmer
even if he didn't win anything when he was a Knick his leadership and ethic is one that won't go unnoticed, and he even dunked on MJ! :peace:

that's why i would want his number hanging in the rafters

Sage

Rotation player
Starks is my all time fave Knick, and if he nailed that 3 in game 6 (obviously meaning there was no game 7 also) he'd have his number up there and MSG gets renamed Starks Arena.

As much as I think he was a great player for us, I don't think his number should be retired. But he definitely should be honoured in some way for his contributions. Like if there was a Knicks player's player award handed out each year, it should be called the John Starks award.

Scribbles

Rotation player
That jersey # is cursed if not evidence in the past decade of ALL those who wore it.

That thing needs to be retired for the sake of ending the curse.

batigol89

Rookie
John Starks....Patrick Ewing, Allan Houston, Larry Johnson, Charles Oakley(too bad he disses us now) and Charlie Ward...
The biggest reason I fell in love with the Knicks :gony:

Paul1355

All Star
anyone know if we're going to retire John Starks number 3 and jersey? :gony::afro:
Starks missed 20 shots in some playoff game i remember that killed us

maybe you old timers can dig up that old memory

Makes me want to not think of Starks in the same category as Walt Frazier when talking about hangin the rafters

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Starks missed 20 shots in some playoff game i remember that killed us

maybe you old timers can dig up that old memory

Makes me want to not think of Starks in the same category as Walt Frazier when talking about hangin the rafters

im not old but dont remind me man, i was 4-5 cant exactly so i wasnt watching basketball then but later on in 99 i watched the whole series and threw up during that game man. and i hate to think about it we coulda been champs man. loll

jpz17

Starter
im not old but dont remind me man, i was 4-5 cant exactly so i wasnt watching basketball then but later on in 99 i watched the whole series and threw up during that game man. and i hate to think about it we coulda been champs man. loll

could've been... but.. the past is the past. Anyone want to talk about 2002-2009? No?? Exactly

Our time has come guys, and trust me, we will be good