With so little to go by, it's a tough call...... Keep or toss Earl Barron

• Keep

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Toss

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
So we're stumped at the 5 as we all know. Barron is our most likely "just add water" addition to the 5 spot currently being compounded under the weight of Eddy Curry.

He played 7 games at the end of the season averaging:
2009-10 Statistics
PPG11.7 RPG11.00 APG1.1 EFF+ 17.00
And considering his output had probably the best D League debut in history (bar that kid in Utah with the buzzer beater)

He's been tweeting on hoopshype.com, throwing his name out there, milking his late season exposure, but what is our general consensus with so little to go by?

Erik Spoelstra's comments about him in the vid below are interesting, and it's clear that he has potential/ability beyond that reliable face up J.

What do we think Knickerbocker net pirates? I'm gonna have to say........ Sign him. 3 years @ $2M/ with a team option in the 3rd.

Lets see if he can maintain for 82 games.

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i voted to keep him but thats only if we dont draft a center, if we do then i wouldnt mind parting with him.

i mean he DID come up huge for us down the stretch so we cant overlook him

Scribbles

Rotation player
Honestly Earl Barron and Bill Walker were a breathe of fresh air for the Knicks.

Now that the Knicks are hands free from all the dead weights of last year (Big Mac exception) our roster isnt as bad as everyone thinks

Gallinari
Chandler
Douglas
Walker
Barron

That's a young talented team with lots of room for improvement.

All we really need is that superstar, two veterans, and a voice in the lockerroom and we're a title contender.

Paul1355

All Star
Keep him

We have nothing to lose by keeping him. He will only be signed for cheap unless some team pulls an isiah Thomas move and pays him over a million per year.

Barron really impressed me with his rebounding, jump shot, and his relentless stamina. I remeber him playing 42 minutes one game as a Center, which is unheard of when it comes to big men.

He is a workhorse.

He can turn out being the perfect role player who is a hard worker, grinder type who can play a whole game if you need him.

He exceeded expectations by far.

Keep him for less than a mil a year for 1-3 years.

CoolClyde

barron von munch

he's a keeper for less than a mill, after we sign maxi-pads, and hopefully trade for a better center. he's not all that, but he's better than nothin.

rw005

Benchwarmer
I really liked his role last season, and he would be a good back-up to any C or PF we have, pay him the MLE and we're good :gony:

Now if we do keep him, I would for really like for him to block shots, that would be incredible for our Defense.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The MLE?

The MLE is way too high for a player like Barron. Yeah, he played well last year, but it was only in a handful of games.

You can't just a player's performance on that alone. MLE would be too big of a risk (we don't have the Mid-Level exception because we're not over the cap, and the signing would not put us over the cap anyways).

But a contract of that size would be too large.

Barron can't expect much more than the minimum

iSaYughh

Starter
the MLE? sweet jesus....smfh...it would be Isayughhesque, if only The Barron was overfat, injury-prone, and older (sup Jerome)

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Honestly Earl Barron and Bill Walker were a breathe of fresh air for the Knicks.

Now that the Knicks are hands free from all the dead weights of last year (Big Mac exception) our roster isnt as bad as everyone thinks

Gallinari
Chandler
Douglas
Walker
Barron

That's a young talented team with lots of room for improvement.

All we really need is that superstar, two veterans, and a voice in the lockerroom and we're a title contender.

i agree Walker is become a favorite of mine and i think he has a lot of potential as a 6th man or maybe even a starter at some point, hes working hard this offseason to improve his game hes dropped 10-15 pounds already and he's been working on his shot well see how he looks in summer league

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Everyone is saying less than a mil? Really? I bet his agent will be looking for three times that! Whether or not he's worth that sort of salary will be determined by the highest bidder in a league begging for athletic 7 footers.

Kiyaman

Legend
Earl Barron presence as a "center" in our rotation made us finally look like a NBA team.
We looked like an injury-prone team the previous 2 seasons by having such a small rotation (6 to 7 players) with 5 of our rotation players performing out of their natural position.

C-Earl Barron performance looked like a winning "Center" alongside of PF-David Lee and SF-Harrington in a lineup.
:beer:
However, in 2006-7 Eddy Curry looked like a winning center tandem alongside of PF-David Lee in a lineup. It's to bad the two-players has not been in a lineup together since 2006-7. And Curry repeated injuries had nothing to do with why the Knicks last two coaches refuse to put him back into a lineup with David Lee.
I thought at the start of the season, I would see a lineup of C-Darko & PF-David Lee scrambling together on the court in the paint during the 2009-10 season. But that tandem bigman lineup (Darko & Lee) never made it on the court in any of the Preseason games or regular season games. not once did we see a minute of Darko & Lee lineup.
The Knicks even had a safe backup for Darko & Lee in a 30lb less Curry & rookie Jordan Hill.

With all of the above mention, signs show FA All-Star PF-David Lee signing with another NBA team at max $14M per or to a contender $7M per.
David Lee's biggest contribution on the court as a Knick is he has improved so many Knick players performance when they are in a steady lineup with him over the previous 5 seasons.

The late added Knick players Barron & Walker performance has earned a one year contract from the Knicks.
David Lee's 5 year career performance has earned a 6 year contract from the Knicks organization.
:gony: :beer: :gony:
The question that will bother me during this Knick FA summer is the signing of Earl Barron. And not resigning David Lee. Why? without David Lee consistency can we expect Earl Barron to give us the same consistency he gave us for 82 games next season?

I wouldve had an optimistic view of the Knicks 2010-11 season knowing we would have C-Barron, F/C-Jordan Hill, and F/C-David Lee to cover our Center & PF department before the 2010 draft night.

moneyg

Starter
he tall. can defend.. block shots...and go a mid range jimmy.. what else do you want. if we had him all season.. we could of made the playoffs.. i think we signed him onto our summer league.. so i think we have his rights at this point.. he will definetly be on our roster...vet minimum though...

p0nder

Starter
He's adequate at the C position. In today's league that's actually not that bad. Particularly for this short, both talent-wise and height-wise, knicks team...

He has moves in the post and a mid range jumper that come into play in the offensive end. He is a big body and does good by boxing out the best rebounders on opposing teams. Leading not only to more rebounds for himself, but also for his teammates.

Defensively he is sound and makes a noticible effort to get between his man and the basket. He needs some time to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly rotating on help defense. But after a full season with the Knicks, coming off the bench, I could see him continuing to improve in a lot of areas. His ceiling is really an unknown at this point, so signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap would be advisable.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
He's adequate at the C position. In today's league that's actually not that bad. Particularly for this short, both talent-wise and height-wise, knicks team...

He has moves in the post and a mid range jumper that come into play in the offensive end. He is a big body and does good by boxing out the best rebounders on opposing teams. Leading not only to more rebounds for himself, but also for his teammates.

Defensively he is sound and makes a noticible effort to get between his man and the basket. He needs some time to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly rotating on help defense. But after a full season with the Knicks, coming off the bench, I could see him continuing to improve in a lot of areas. His ceiling is really an unknown at this point, so signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap would be advisable.

As far as having a short team goes, let's say the Knicks follow through with their interest in Shaun Livingston and sign him as our PG. If we did, we'd have a 6'7" PG a 6'6" 2 in Walker a 6'10" SF in Gallo a big PF whether it's Lee, Bosh whoever, and a 7 footer in the middle in Barron.

Livingston averaged 14+ppg and 7 dimes once he adjusted to the starting roll for the Wiz, and seeing that Wall is a dead cert at 1st in the lottery we can get in on signing Livingston as a FA in less than 10 days.

Apr 12, 2010 9:53 PM EST
The Knicks will be interested in pursuing Shaun Livingston, who has played well since joining the Wizards.

RealGM Note: Livingston has a PER of 13.9 while with Washington, which is his pre-injury output with the Clippers.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...l_be_interested_in_livingston/##ixzz0rV0jbIgK
He's already a famed PG for the wrong reason:

rw005

Benchwarmer
The MLE?

The MLE is way too high for a player like Barron. Yeah, he played well last year, but it was only in a handful of games.

You can't just a player's performance on that alone. MLE would be too big of a risk (we don't have the Mid-Level exception because we're not over the cap, and the signing would not put us over the cap anyways).

But a contract of that size would be too large.

Barron can't expect much more than the minimum

How much is the MLE in the first place?

Now 2-3 million is fine but I really dont know what the value of the MLE is.