View Poll Results: With so little to go by, it's a tough call...... Keep or toss Earl Barron

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep

20 90.91%
  • Toss

2 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KO.com: Earl Barron Consensus

He's adequate at the C position. In today's league that's actually not that bad. Particularly for this short, both talent-wise and height-wise, knicks team...

He has moves in the post and a mid range jumper that come into play in the offensive end. He is a big body and does good by boxing out the best rebounders on opposing teams. Leading not only to more rebounds for himself, but also for his teammates.

Defensively he is sound and makes a noticible effort to get between his man and the basket. He needs some time to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly rotating on help defense. But after a full season with the Knicks, coming off the bench, I could see him continuing to improve in a lot of areas. His ceiling is really an unknown at this point, so signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap would be advisable.

Originally Posted by p0nder
    He's adequate at the C position. In today's league that's actually not that bad. Particularly for this short, both talent-wise and height-wise, knicks team...

He has moves in the post and a mid range jumper that come into play in the offensive end. He is a big body and does good by boxing out the best rebounders on opposing teams. Leading not only to more rebounds for himself, but also for his teammates.

Defensively he is sound and makes a noticible effort to get between his man and the basket. He needs some time to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly rotating on help defense. But after a full season with the Knicks, coming off the bench, I could see him continuing to improve in a lot of areas. His ceiling is really an unknown at this point, so signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap would be advisable.
    As far as having a short team goes, let's say the Knicks follow through with their interest in Shaun Livingston and sign him as our PG. If we did, we'd have a 6'7" PG a 6'6" 2 in Walker a 6'10" SF in Gallo a big PF whether it's Lee, Bosh whoever, and a 7 footer in the middle in Barron.

Livingston averaged 14+ppg and 7 dimes once he adjusted to the starting roll for the Wiz, and seeing that Wall is a dead cert at 1st in the lottery we can get in on signing Livingston as a FA in less than 10 days.

Apr 12, 2010 9:53 PM EST
    The Knicks will be interested in pursuing Shaun Livingston, who has played well since joining the Wizards.

RealGM Note: Livingston has a PER of 13.9 while with Washington, which is his pre-injury output with the Clippers.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    He's already a famed PG for the wrong reason:

I say, give Earl Barron and Bill Walker their max contracts and call it an off season.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    The MLE?

The MLE is way too high for a player like Barron. Yeah, he played well last year, but it was only in a handful of games.

You can't just a player's performance on that alone. MLE would be too big of a risk (we don't have the Mid-Level exception because we're not over the cap, and the signing would not put us over the cap anyways).

But a contract of that size would be too large.

Barron can't expect much more than the minimum
    How much is the MLE in the first place?

Now 2-3 million is fine but I really dont know what the value of the MLE is.

Let's not forget how David Lee's production SLUMPED when Earl Barron was on the court.

Originally Posted by rw005
    How much is the MLE in the first place?

Now 2-3 million is fine but I really dont know what the value of the MLE is.
    the MLE is about 5-6 million... way too high for Earl... He doesn't deserve more then a 3 year@ 2mill.

Veteran

The MLE is like 6 million.

Way too much for a career D-Leaguer who's played well in a dozen games.

Still on the fence with him. He showed he can play during the end the season. He's a decent center who plays with energy. Which is what we need. If we can get him for a Mil or 2 then i wouldn't be against it. But there will be a lot of other players to look at that are free agents and also who we draft will dictate if we keep Barron or not. But again wouldn't mind him coming off the bench.

Veteran

He only played in SEVEN games.

How good did Mardy Collins look towards the end of the 2006-2007 season?

And lo and behold he never came CLOSE to replicating that form EVER again.

We have to be weary of Barron if we choose to sign him. You can't expect him to put up last year's numbers - at best you might get 8 or 9 PPG and a handful of rebounds and maybe an average of 1.5 blocks per game playing about 17 minutes a game with our other center playing the rest of it.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by Scribbles
    Let's not forget how David Lee's production SLUMPED when Earl Barron was on the court.
    one of the red flags i have about Lee, he was the only one to get the boards last year and in the beginning of 08-09 when Z-Bo was rebounding like crazy Lee was struggling so thats why i'd prefer Bosh call me crazy but i think Bosh is better

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Earl Barron presence as a "center" in our rotation made us finally look like a NBA team.
    We looked like an injury-prone team the previous 2 seasons by having such a small rotation (6 to 7 players) with 5 of our rotation players performing out of their natural position.

C-Earl Barron performance looked like a winning "Center" alongside of PF-David Lee and SF-Harrington in a lineup.

However, in 2006-7 Eddy Curry looked like a winning center tandem alongside of PF-David Lee in a lineup. It's to bad the two-players has not been in a lineup together since 2006-7. And Curry repeated injuries had nothing to do with why the Knicks last two coaches refuse to put him back into a lineup with David Lee.
    I thought at the start of the season, I would see a lineup of C-Darko & PF-David Lee scrambling together on the court in the paint during the 2009-10 season. But that tandem bigman lineup (Darko & Lee) never made it on the court in any of the Preseason games or regular season games. not once did we see a minute of Darko & Lee lineup.
    The Knicks even had a safe backup for Darko & Lee in a 30lb less Curry & rookie Jordan Hill.

With all of the above mention, signs show FA All-Star PF-David Lee signing with another NBA team at max $14M per or to a contender $7M per.
    David Lee's biggest contribution on the court as a Knick is he has improved so many Knick players performance when they are in a steady lineup with him over the previous 5 seasons.

The late added Knick players Barron & Walker performance has earned a one year contract from the Knicks.
    David Lee's 5 year career performance has earned a 6 year contract from the Knicks organization.

The question that will bother me during this Knick FA summer is the signing of Earl Barron. And not resigning David Lee. Why? without David Lee consistency can we expect Earl Barron to give us the same consistency he gave us for 82 games next season?

I wouldve had an optimistic view of the Knicks 2010-11 season knowing we would have C-Barron, F/C-Jordan Hill, and F/C-David Lee to cover our Center & PF department before the 2010 draft night.
    Barron right now is a 6th to 8th man on a rotation.

He didnt play enough games to be a starter all season. He came in at a time when we desperately needed size and hustle and he brought both.

He is a keeper.

But as a solid big man off the bench.

Superstar

ya if sign him to a huge contract based no 7 games then you would be Isiah picking up jerome james

Superstar

Are you guys crazy? 90% of you think we should keep this dude after 7 games... a WHOLE 7 games? You gotta be kidding me.... Do you not Remember the likes of Jackie Butler, and Randolph Morris, and Nazir Mohamed... All who came to the knicks the second half of the season with "promise" and of course turned out to be nothing. And guess what, more likely than not, so will Earl Barron. That is like Eddy Curry having a great season this year, and all of a sudden you guys are down to resign him. I wouldn't waste a dime on him. Not on a 29 year old center who has played in less than 100 games in his entire career... Geeze if Jonathan Bender was judged on just his first 7 games, i guess you guys would like to resign him too huh? C'mon now act as if you guys have some knowledge. I'm not saying this guy is a bum, but the writing is on the wall is all i'm saying. Toss this dude

Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    Are you guys crazy? 90% of you think we should keep this dude after 7 games... a WHOLE 7 games? You gotta be kidding me.... Do you not Remember the likes of Jackie Butler, and Randolph Morris, and Nazir Mohamed... All who came to the knicks the second half of the season with "promise" and of course turned out to be nothing. And guess what, more likely than not, so will Earl Barron. That is like Eddy Curry having a great season this year, and all of a sudden you guys are down to resign him. I wouldn't waste a dime on him. Not on a 29 year old center who has played in less than 100 games in his entire career... Geeze if Jonathan Bender was judged on just his first 7 games, i guess you guys would like to resign him too huh? C'mon now act as if you guys have some knowledge. I'm not saying this guy is a bum, but the writing is on the wall is all i'm saying. Toss this dude
    This.

Come on, he was playing against absolutely no competition. He showed some skills and nice athleticism, but there's a reason he's never been in the nba. Give him a shot in summer league and maybe toss him the 12th roster spot. Nothing more.