Wille Warren & Lance Stephenson

New New York

Quiet Storm
I don't know the The NCAA game all that well, I mean even when I watched religiously I always was wrong in predicting who is going to be a good pro or not (although I like to brag about how the first time I saw Andre Miller I knew he was going to be a solid pro).

Point is....I just never know who we should draft! Especially in the 2nd round when it is a crap shoot.

But these two players stick out to me

Wille Warren was a player who I remember him being considered a lottery pick at one time. NBA Draft express has this cool feature that lets you see the prospective picks in the current draft as well as the next year's draft. And I remember in 08 (the year before Warren had even played at OU) he was slated to be a lottery pick and then last year's draft had him going as high as number 3 if he had come out.

But since then his stock has tumbled to say the least! It looks as if his defense and shot selection seem to be his biggest setbacks.

But lets look at his projected strengths

Ability to get to free throw line - Efficiency - Excellent skill-level - Pick and roll play - Scoring instincts - Ability to create own shot - Ball-handling skills w/either hand - Change of gears/Hesitation moves - Defensive potential - Aggressiveness - Assertiveness - Potential - Ability to create for others - Ability to finish through contact - Body control - Excellent first step - Solid frame - Strength - Wingspan - 3-point range - Ability to create separation from defender - Perimeter shooting potential - Solid free throw shooter

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Willie-Warren-5157/#ixzz0rRDxQGBW
http://www.draftexpress.com

It appears he could be fairly effective if he plays to his abilities. Seems like a DeAndre Jordan type who you draft on a low risk high reward sort of basis.

Lance Stephenson is the same boat. And maybe this what makes me so bad at this sort of thing, but I just could not pass on a player this young! 19 years old and one the best players coming out of Highschool the year before and I guess you can say he underachieved but he has a lot to learn yet.

Weakness:
The biggest issue here is Stephenson’s decision making. He settles for bad shot after bad shot, in spite of miserable percentages and open teammates. He seems to lack any sort of understanding of shot selection. Even when his shots were not falling, he forced the issue and, if his teammates sought their own offense, he tended to pout and fade into the background. This is likely the primary cause for concern from NBA scouts, as Stephenson has never really shown the ability to play team-oriented basketball and could certainly have issues adapting to a situation where he’s simply a role player

I simply read immaturity here both as a player and a person (again he's only 19) but possibly can be worked out. Poor FT and 3pt shooting is a concern too. New York City kid who did not choose St. Johns to avoid distractions(read trouble) so could The Knicks really be a good fit?

Strengths: looks like strength itself is one of them, creating his own shot, decent defender and rebounder.

anyways sound off about them or whoever!

rady edit:
something happened when you pasted the text i think. Make sure you check the last icon from the top right corner
switchmode.gif
before pasting formatted text from the internet

Last edited by a moderator:

New New York

Quiet Storm
hmmm....that is weird how that came out that way....I imagine that kills this thread LOL

Anyways look up those two players and tell me what you think/know about them

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I'm worried about Stephenson's decision-making both on and off the court.

He's got a rap sheet already, and he's prone to taking terrible shots as well. It's possible that might change once he gets to the NBA and realize he's a rookie that's outclassed by LeBron James, but it's taking an awfully big risk. He also didn't shoot very well his first year, he was terrible from behind the arc and his free throw shooting was atrocious for a guard.

That being said he's got SO MUCH UPSIDE that he might be worth gambling on.

Warren doesn't really have a defined position. He's too small to be an SG, but he doesn't really play the PG position well enough to be considered as a Point Guard.

Seems to me like he could fit in well as a good scoring option off the bench, though.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if we can get a duo of Stephenson and Jordan or Alabi or Warren or one of the C's or Stephenson and Warren and we pull off a trade on draft night that would be huge for us in getting high energy rookies who are top 10 talent by far and bolster our roster then i'd say were in great position

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
ok guys look .... ive been watching college ball for over 13 yrs and let me tell u .... this draft is big:peace: alot of talent .... many great talents may fall where there not suppose 2 ... that's wat make it great ... and the best thing is teams are going to draft big and dats ok... because the point guards are going to be there stilll :thumbsup:.... the gems will be there trust me ..... donnie buying some picks and trading:peace: yup

moneyg

Starter
not sure if id dratf either... lance is not a real sg. he needs to work on his jumper.....warren is ok.. not all that.. rather have vasquez at the guard position

Kiyaman

Legend
First things first:

The Knicks have not had a headcoach that develope young draft players into NBA players since coach Hubie Brown.

Warren & Stephenson are 6.4 & 6.5 big SG in the NCAA.
Either one would be a great athletic challenge at practice for Walker to work-out at improving his NBA experience, if we resign Walker.
But none of the 3 players (above) are NBA Starters/Finishers.
The Knicks would have to resign SG-T.Mac to be the starter plus work-out at improving Walker, Warren or Stephenson NBA performance at the SG position.
So selecting late draft picks comes with a reason. Example, Spurs select PF-Blair to workout with Duncan. Nuggets traded for PG-Ty Lawson to workout with Billups. Hornets selected Collison to workout with CP3.

The Knicks are missing "NBA Starters" at PG, SG, PF (if Lee isnt resign), and center (if Curry isnt traded for another center).
The Knicks have a decent backup PG in Douglas, a decent backup SG in Walker (if resign), and a decent backup SF in Gallo (Wilson Chandler is our starting SF, whether the coach like it or not).
We put our self in a position where our cap space spending $$$ have to go on the missing "STARTERS" on our roster, not a Max contract.

The late draft picks the Knicks have (38 & 39), plus we may buy a pick will only be to fill out the 13 man roster every team must have at the start of the 2010-11 season.
The young draft pick players we select will also be used to improve & challenge our backup bench players in practice.
I'm waiting to find out just how much we will be allowed to spend in the FA market this summer.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
That's the thing, players who were considered to be lottery picks one year and not the next are risky to me. Warren didn't improve a lot from the previous year while Lance didn't put up great numbers. But honestly we should definitely pick up C and possibly try our luck with International players. Especially since our picks are in the second round.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
That's the thing, players who were considered to be lottery picks one year and not the next are risky to me. Warren didn't approve a lot from the previous year while Lance didn't put up great numbers. But honestly we should definitely pick up C and possibly try our luck with International players. Especially since our picks are in the second round.

In a league full to the brim with guards and small forwards, I just want us to beef up the front court. Who ever it is!

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
In a league full to the brim with guards and small forwards, I just want us to beef up the front court. Who ever it is!

I agree 8's and Zero, We NEED a C and a PG. End of story. This draft is C heavy so we can come away with a good prospect.