Melo close to signing contract extension

Anthony pondering $65 million extension

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports Staff Jun 23, 5:19 pm EDT

Carmelo Anthony(notes) has received a three-year contract extension offer worth about $65 million from the Denver Nuggets.
Anthony told Yahoo! Sports he is reviewing the Nuggets? proposal with his agents and wants to make sure the franchise is committed to improving before agreeing to sign the deal.

?I feel good about it,? Anthony said. ?I appreciate them putting it on the table and wanting me to extend my career there. At the end of the day it?s about winning. If I feel I can win there, I will stay.
?I?ve been there five years. I?m comfortable there. Family is there. If I?m able to compete for a championship, I?m there.?
Anthony could wait to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, but the NBA is facing a possible lockout when the collective bargaining agreement expires at the end of the season. Commissioner David Stern and team owners are pushing to lower maximum salaries and the maximum length of contracts in a new CBA.
?That?s taking a risk, a chance,? Anthony said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsYxu7VK_8PmLurjz1tF0G85nYcB?slug=ys-anthonynuggets062310

So much for Waiting to 2011 if all else fails this summer.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
this is our make or break offseason we gotta go into 10-11 with a highly improved roster. im praying we have a nice team together by october :crossfingers:

moneyg

Starter
how can denver offer him over 21.5 mil a year on a three year extension if max free agents can only get a contract starting at 16.5 mil... i dont get this. if thats the case lebron would be leaving like 12 mil on the table for the same three year contract extension with other teams versus the cavs??

can someone explain this to me?????

soxxx

Rookie
how can denver offer him over 21.5 mil a year on a three year extension if max free agents can only get a contract starting at 16.5 mil... i dont get this. if thats the case lebron would be leaving like 12 mil on the table for the same three year contract extension with other teams versus the cavs??

can someone explain this to me?????

Actually Lebron can get like 18-19 million from the Cavs. If a player resigns with their same team they can get a higher than max contract. Altho i'm not exactly sure how Melo could get 21.5.

I believe it depends on the Cap. And I guess the Cap is going to go up. idk.