Joe Johnson turns 29 on Tue - Soon-to-be-NYK?

mafra

Legend
It appears as if Joe Johnson will be a New York Knick. He lists NY as his #1 option, will take less $ to come to NYC and be reunited with his former coach... But he is 29 and a playoff goat... Should we get excited about this?

Personally, if we went beyond 4 years.... SUICICDE. Having him for 4 seasons means we get JJ at age 29,30,31,32. Not sure I want a 33-34 yr-old JJ at 12 mil per, you know what I mean?

He may take less money per year, but I think he'll demand that 5th year (could we get a club option).

I could live with JJ, but only if it brings Lebron or Amar'e plus another free agent (Thomas, Salmons, Lee, Parker).

It'll also help if JJ signs with us quickly, for that will help recruit other free agents.

I just didn't expect our rebuilding plan to center on a 29 yr-old playoff bum. Oh well. Time to get excited (sarcasm enter here).

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if its not at the max then why not? maybe we could somehow end up with Johnson Bosh.Amar'e and maybe sign Felton if we have enough remaining and pull of a deal for a decent C or put our trust in Jordan? unno it'll be interesting to see the one red flag i have about this guy is his playoff performance this past season, although the one against the Celtics a couple years back was nice maybe he's worth a shot.

besides if it counts for anything my gut is telling me we get him and either Bosh or Amar'e and we pull off a trade this off-season......maybe a good thing or bad thing but its just my gut hahaha, again unno if that means anything

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It's a horrible consolation.

You can't deny it's an upgrade, but it makes our draft picks look even more moronic if we sign Joe Johnson. Alabi and Gallon were there and we had no front court to speak of.

If Walker breaks out this year, we'll have a young 2 guard playing behind an old 2 guard who has nowhere to go but dooooooooowwwwwwwnnnnn.

3 years @ $2.48c a year would be fine.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Thats the thing Walker has been working rigorously this offseason and has already lost 27 pounds and has been working on his jumpshot so why not maybe give him a shot? but also another side of me wants to go with J.J cause we need to increase our roster dramatically this offseason, so why not possibly use Walker as a 6th man? instead of Chandler( who may be traded ). i mean if the price is right on J.J why not?

CoolClyde

Joe Johnson wants a Big Johnson contract

Does everyone forget ...The Hawks reportedly offered Joe Johnson a four-year $60 million contract extension last summer which he turned down...?

The man wants max money, he wants to go to a team with mega-playoff potential, what makes anyone think he's gonna take less than max to lure him away from Hawks? oh yeah, the allure of Mike D'amntoni's ass!
:2cents:

mafra

Legend
Recall time
Joe Johnson, Amare, and Damntoni had a 29 win season in 2003-4.

Yeah, but that team had Marbury. Hence the losing season. Also when our franchise went downhill.... Curry-Marbury trades. Bad time to remember.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Recall time
Joe Johnson, Amare, and Damntoni had a 29 win season in 2003-4.

And why did they do that Kiya? Because they cleared out their shit and sent it on a private jet to NY. It was a plan much the same as the Knicks are trying to execute now.

They sent us Marbury who was a joke and Hardaway. The very next season, Phoenix went 62-20, went to the WCF, lost to SA.

The Knicks got demoralisingly swept in the first round and have been pathetic ever since.

mafra

Legend
how much less money are we talking about and if so, i wouldnt mind joe joshson as a trade asset.

Maybe we do sign-&-trade. Dump Curry's expiring contract on ATL along with sending them Wilson Chandler. That's about 14mil. We sign JJ to that 14 mil. Still have space to sign both Amar'e and Lebron. Add Mike Miller with the MLE.

Douglas
Johnson
LJ
Gallo
Amar'e

Walker, Miller, Barron and the rookies.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
Maybe we do sign-&-trade. Dump Curry's expiring contract on ATL along with sending them Wilson Chandler. That's about 14mil. We sign JJ to that 14 mil. Still have space to sign both Amar'e and Lebron. Add Mike Miller with the MLE.

Douglas
Johnson
LJ
Gallo
Amar'e

Walker, Miller, Barron and the rookies.
we will get murder inside....

Paul1355

All Star
It appears as if Joe Johnson will be a New York Knick. He lists NY as his #1 option, will take less $ to come to NYC and be reunited with his former coach... But he is 29 and a playoff goat... Should we get excited about this?

Personally, if we went beyond 4 years.... SUICICDE. Having him for 4 seasons means we get JJ at age 29,30,31,32. Not sure I want a 33-34 yr-old JJ at 12 mil per, you know what I mean?

He may take less money per year, but I think he'll demand that 5th year (could we get a club option).

I could live with JJ, but only if it brings Lebron or Amar'e plus another free agent (Thomas, Salmons, Lee, Parker).

It'll also help if JJ signs with us quickly, for that will help recruit other free agents.

I just didn't expect our rebuilding plan to center on a 29 yr-old playoff bum. Oh well. Time to get excited (sarcasm enter here).
Johnson is the one guy i don't want on the Knicks but the most likely free agent canidate to be a Knick.

The writing is on the wall for Johnson to come here.

He wants to play with Mike D! plain and simple. He wants to play with the coach that started him and propelled his offensive game to shine in Phoenix!

I have always seen Johnson becoming a Knick, but this HAS to be a backup plan to LBJ, Wade, Bosh, and even a possible sign and trade Lee for Tony Parker deal....Johnson should be middle of our long list of possibilities.

Even if we do sign Joe Johnson I don't necessarily see it as an indicator that we are going to plan B. Signing Joe Johnson immediately after free agency begins could serve as some posturing in order to get Lebron to come here. Even though JJ isn't our first choice, it is undeniable that he automatically becomes the Knicks new best player, and makes the team look a lot better as far as Lebron is concerned.

XH20X

Rookie
One word if we sign JJ to max contract "SCREWED", I'm sorry but this guy is too old to be a part of the Knicks rebuilding or renewal process. This guy is nothing but a choker. If we do not have anyone to sign besides JJ, i rather keep our money for next year. Plus, if everyteam uses up their max money the knicks will likely be the only team that has the power to sign max contracts next year.

The reports, at least on ESPN, have said that he would take less money to come to NY, I guess the real question is; how much less?

When I look at Johnson's stat line, it's that of a perfect complimentary player. He's a 20/5/5 guy with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio who shoots 45% from the field and 38% from 3. He is a big SG at 6'7", 240 lbs. who can post up smaller players defending him ( that's only 1 inch and 10 lbs. less than Lebron according to NBA.com). I would also say, in JJ's defense, that ATL played like an AAU team in the respect that there was no movement in their offense, which is to say that his assist numbers don't really reflect his true ability to set others up. This could also have an averse effect on his shooting percentage as far as the numbers go.

All of that being said, he is about to be 29 which, in all reality, is going to put him at about 34 by the time his deal with us would be up. No one likes to see an aging star, especially on their team's pay roll. However, seeing as Johnson is a good outside shooter and doesn't have a history of injury trouble, I have reason to believe that his decrease in production would not be that drastic towards the end of his stint with us.

These things considered, it might all come down to how much he is willing to invest in MSG and what his income from that would be, but if he would be willing to go as low as 13 million, I am fine with it.

We are looking at about 35 million in space. If we give JJ that 13 that leaves us with 22 million, more than enough to sign a MAX guy, let's say Lebron. After that 16-17 mil. we have about 5 left over for us to do what we like whether it be now or at the trade deadline (when Curry's contract will most likely be dealt).

Personally, this looks pretty good to me. If it's not Lebron, it'll be Amare or Boozer and that still ain't bad.

Whadaya guys think?

mafra

Legend
I read a yahoo report that says the opposite.... That this is his last contract and he not only wants the max money, but is seeking a sign-&-trade so he can really max out. His agent wants that 6th year.

I've read he was yearning for CHI, then NY.... NOw I hear Mark Cuban is making Joe Johnson his main target. He wants to pair JJ with Dirk. So, forget about Joe taking less money to come to NYK.

NOW, if he talks to Lebron and feels LJ will join him in NY, I can see him signing with us. AND, the sign-&-trade would be best: ATL takes Curry & Chandler and with their 16 mil we sign JJ. This leaves Knicks still capable of signing 2 more top free agents.

LJ, JJ, Lee!

However, I do not feel good giving JJ all that money.... not at 29 yrs-old. The only way I do it is if Lebron James tells me it's a must.