Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lay off Houston

Default Lay off Houston

I have been noticing a lot of people calling for the trade of houston. This makes no sense to me at all. One of their biggest problems in the playoffs was an outside shooting threat. This allowed the defense to collapse on marbury. When marbury would dish it out shandon anderson was there to chuck up an air ball. Allan Houston is just the player they need the perfect compliment to marbury. Allan will be healthy this year. Before this past year houston barely every missed a game. He has a whole summer to rest. If the knicks could find an athletic big man that could block shots without giving up the core of the team. Then the knicks could do some damage. Do I have any backers on Houston?

No and I'll tell you why, Houston is on his way down with the type of injury he sustained. The talent can't be denied, if he is a Knick next season and is reasonably healthy, of course he'll make an impact, I know what this guy is capable of. The fact that they collapse on Marbury without a perimeter scoring threat has been evident whenever Houston has been out this season. Truly its not Houston's injuries that bother me, its his huge contract. Because of it, the Knicks can't acquire what they truly need, an athletic center who bangs the boards, and can make a shot now and then. The other half of this has to do with keeping the Knicks competitive.
    I love Houston's shot, but his defense is pitiful. Look at other teams that just care about their offense, like Dallas or Sacramento, ultimately their lack of defense comes back to bite them in the ass, when its all said and done.
    The Knicks need to model themselves after teams in this leauge that are successful like Detroit, LA, San Antonio, all have an emphasis on "D".
    Look, if Houston is not traded, its not the end of the world, the guy is a terrific basketball player no doubt about it, and the team is certainly better with him playing, rather than on the bench. But if the Knicks intend to trade him, it must be done now, otherwise don't ever do it.

wow once houston has a good year next year, im gonna shove it in all ur faces, lol, so yeah, i got ur back

I dont think Houston should be given up quickly, remember he is the best shooter can get 18-20 a night, unless we get a better player I wouldnt trade him until a year or two.

WiL8000's post should end all. His points are exact.

Truly its not Houston's injuries that bother me, its his huge contract. Because of it, the Knicks can't acquire what they truly need, an athletic center who bangs the boards, and can make a shot now and then
    i agree.. his large contract also makes it difficult to trade him even if we wanted to..

Wil8000, you're absolutely right! Houston defense is so horrid that I sometimes wish I could take his place out there. Now with this knee injury he's only going to get worse defensively. We need a strong defense! Get rid of him. I wouldn't mind trading him straight-up for even Doug Christie.

I think Christie is a little bit older than Houston. I'd like to see the Knicks look for a younger player, not a rookie, but a young veteran no older than 28. Houstons defense is what will really suffer now that he has knee problems, his mobility in general is in question because he has to play against the 2 spot on the other team, could you see him keeping up with a player like TMac or Bryant etc...

Wil, your opinions about his health is correct and if he is never healthy again he is a 100 million dollar role player. However, when he is healthy he is not a terrible defender. What he lacks in quickness he makes up in smarts. And don't forget after sprewell left at the beginning of the year it was houston that was guarding the other teams best defender. Also, you said if they are going to trade him, trade him now. I disagree you sell high not low. The man is coming off a hugely disappointing season, they will get anything for him. So why trade him. Even if they lose his contract they are still waaaay over the salary cap. So why not keep him and if is not healthy trade him in the final year of his contract to a team looking to dump salary and get something for him.

Rick700, you definately bring up some good points. But that is if Houston's health isn't a liability next season. If Houston follows up last season with another bad one this year, he will be harder to let go of in the fact that the Knicks won't get as much in return for him. But no doubt, your points are truly valid, and no matter what either of us think, moves will be made this summer that are out of our hands.
    Bottom line is that I want this team to be better. And I agree that Houston's contract isn't the sole cause of the Knicks money problem, they have to get rid of other guys too, some that I like and some I don't. This list includes Mutombo, Anderson, Norris, Hardaway, Harrington, Trybanski, Johnson, Mohammed. If we could cut these guys loose, and acquire a couple of good players, the Knicks finances would be in much better shape to pickup a solid bigman.

no offence but laying off housten can be the dumbest thing the knicks can do first of all ether wait till hes healthy and keep him or trade him for draft picks or other players anything is better than laying him off

Get rid of him NOW! Q-Richardson or Crawford will fit that role along side Starbury well.

no kobe is fit for the role he is the best in the NBA right now

Originally Posted by JJtheKnick
    Kobe is fit for any role man! He's trying to say that Q-Dawg and Crawford fit it just fine and are less expensive. Anyway, I feel the Knicks will not get a championship with H20 on the roster so I'd trade him. He can help a lot of teams out there but I think he should go.
    My guess is Isiah agrees with trading him or getting rid of him and I'll tell you why. Okay I pointed this out a long time ago so you probably forgot:
    Isiah Thomas is obviously trying to get rid of everyone that Layden brought because if you win a championship with some guys from Layden, Isiah won't get full credit. We saw him do this with KVH because deep in my heart I don't think anyone would trade KVH for TT. Say what you want about TT but the amount of boards he pulls down for his size are unacceptable. He did this with the Marbury trade which was smart in both ways. So I think getting rid of H20 by trading him will give us someone good and we all know the offseason won't stop there. Isiah probably can't wait to start dealing with other teams. Out with the old, in with the new!

You must be Allan Houston himself, close friend or relative to say that!