Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Knicks sign C Timofey Mozgav to 3 year/$9.7MM Deal

Veteran

I'm sure (I hope), Walsh understands the cap to where this (and Felton) deals aren't going to hinder our ability to ensnare Melo.

That said I like the deal.

Stat is a given beast. Turiaf is a proven enforcer and beefy rotation guy. Randolph is already a defensive prescense and sheer athleticism makes him a 2way threat.

Now we have 2 7fters in Jordan and Timorex who are young, fit nicely, and have big upside.

We are pretty stacked at the 4-5 and it isn't really a logjam bc of the players' unique capabilities and age/development.

AR is all the more tradeable now, also. And we need every potential edge we can get in possibly getting Melo.

(I would do all not to trade him though.)

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    I'm sure (I hope), Walsh understands the cap to where this (and Felton) deals aren't going to hinder our ability to ensnare Melo.

That said I like the deal.

Stat is a given beast. Turiaf is a proven enforcer and beefy rotation guy. Randolph is already a defensive prescense and sheer athleticism makes him a 2way threat.

Now we have 2 7fters in Jordan and Timorex who are young, fit nicely, and have big upside.

We are pretty stacked at the 4-5 and it isn't really a logjam bc of the players' unique capabilities and age/development.

AR is all the more tradeable now, also. And we need every potential edge we can get in possibly getting Melo.

(I would do all not to trade him though.)
    I agree. And, we have a bunch of fouls to throw around. Just go with Turiaf, then bring in all the other bangers and beat up on teams in the paint!

3 mil a year? I know Donny and the Knicks organization know something about this guy we don't. I hope it's good. From what i've seen in the videos is he's really athletic for a big guy. The alleys he was catching was thrown pretty high. Also looks like a tough hard-nosed player. Maybe it is a good pickup. Only time will tell...

Originally Posted by TheChosen1
    3 mil a year? I know Donny and the Knicks organization know something about this guy we don't. I hope it's good. From what i've seen in the videos is he's really athletic for a big guy. The alleys he was catching was thrown pretty high. Also looks like a tough hard-nosed player. Maybe it is a good pickup. Only time will tell...
    He better be decent enough, considering the Nyets just handed Morrow 12 mil for 3 years. Basically this Russian will make 1 mil less.

Either way don't like something in Morrow, or we think we found something in this guy.

If we committed 3 mil of our cap next year.... We better be right.

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    This is a random signing. When was he evaluated? I can't say I have a lot of faith in our scouts after Jennings slipped by.

Found this article (part of an article) talking about how he needs to develop his game to be more successful in the Russian B league!

B League? What the **** is going on here? Athletic centers are brilliant, that's a given. But why are NY signing an un-drafted Russian B leaguer to $3M+ season when we've just signed Landry Fields, our 18th ****ing SF as the 39th pick? We could have got Mozgov for ****ing free!

Ridiculous!

That article you're quoting is from 2 years ago.

He plays first division ball now and plays for the Russian National Team.

Watch tape of him. He is a high risk high reward player. His agility is unreal for someone that high and weight.

I've also heard that his contract isn't guaranteed.

Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
    I hope this doesnt hurt our chances in re-signing Earl Barron...
    sources have said that Earl Barron was never going to come back, He wants to test his value in free agency and the Knicks dont want a bidding war for someone who played 7 games.

I liked Barron alot but getting a big Russian guy can be a benefit

Can we still go after Mello next year fafter this?

Also After this deal I think we should call it an off season. Maybe see how Ewing jr. Does in the summer leauge or if tmac wants minimum but that's it.

Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    That article you're quoting is from 2 years ago.

He plays first division ball now and plays for the Russian National Team.

Watch tape of him. He is a high risk high reward player. His agility is unreal for someone that high and weight.

I've also heard that his contract isn't guaranteed.
    Oh God.. It's actually from 3 years ago.. oops

Originally Posted by TheChosen1
    hard nosed- maybe he can be the next Marc Gasol?

Mozgav is a ****ing gem, only a retard would argue we shouldve signed barron instead. With amare, randolph, and turiaf he would be our 4th best player stuck between 4 and 5. Hes also 29 and probably is about to regress. Mozgov is a legit 7-1, who looks about like a russian David Robinson. He is the perfect long term center prospect for the ssol. He is big enough to play the dwights bynums and lopezs of the league but fast enough to play at our speed. He wont play much this yr, but he should get into the rotation in 2011 if all goes well. With Amare/ AR/ Mozgof if AR and Mozgof get better we will have a picture perfect frontcourt for the future. I am very excited, good to see that we are basically rebuilding but it should be a little quicker than rebuilding through the draft.

If his contract is non-guaranteed then it's a very good signing.

If it is guaranteed then it's questionable.

He's only 23/24 which is good. The only question is how come he's never been picked up on anybody's radar? Can only hope he becomes the next Dirk.

Originally Posted by cathaytrader
    Can only hope he becomes the next Dirk.
    So I'm assuming that u didnt look at what everyone wrote about him, and just expect that because hes from europe hes a shooter?

Originally Posted by Danilo
    So I'm assuming that u didnt look at what everyone wrote about him, and just expect that because hes from europe hes a shooter?
    Actually I kinda meant a player that flies in relatively unknown and develops into a huge asset.

Originally Posted by cathaytrader
    Actually I kinda meant a player that flies in relatively unknown and develops into a huge asset.
    I'm inclined to believe that a player picked 9th in the draft is a lot more of a known commodity than a guy that went undrafted.