What's Insanity? Doing the same thing twice expecting a different result

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
OK, so we tanked a few seasons, traded a future #1 and Jordan Hill for the chance to sign Bosh and James; who by most accounts already made a pact with Wade to go to Miami... Now we are going to wait to see if we can get Melo and Paul?!?! Really, do we have to shut down yet again in the slightest, faintest hint that we can sign one of these guys? Enough is enough; once bitten twice shy!!!! Look, there are other players that we can make moves for to make this team better, more competitive and a better match up to our rivals.
One player that I am totally miffed on that seems to fly under the radar is Gerald Wallace. Charlotte has made it know that they would be willing to trade him. He is an athletic freak!! While he is not a long range shooter, he is a proficient defender, scorer and shot blocker. We will have to defend against James, Bosh and Wade!!! While the rest of the team might be a patch work of cheap players, the core 3 will be trouble and we will need athletic players that can defend against them and can force them to defend. Wallace can do this! They could play Wallace at the 4 and Stat at the 5 and reproduce what Mike D had in Phoenix with Marion and Stat. Gallinari at the 3, walker at the 2 and Felton at the 1.... I can live with that and would be the most athletic team on the floor at any given time! They can have a 3 man rotation of Stat, Wallace and Randolph; all athletic all times! NICE!!!! Maybe even try to see if we could trade for Jackson as well... Wallace and Jackson with Stat, Felton, Randolph, Gallinari and Douglas.... If Miami is rated #1 in the east, we would have to be a close (I mean super close) 2!

Knickerbocker201

Benchwarmer
I think Wallace is good but he just stays hurt... he is always landing hard on the ground every game he plays... he just plays to reckless... i don't think his body can take much more punishment like that...

p0nder

Starter
Well it was entertaining anyways. If we had struck out in free agency we'd peoply be all about this new big 3. As it stands we have a solid foundation to build on right now. Still, CP3 and Melo in Knicks jerseys would be pretty sweet.

iJoe

Rotation player
I agree Gerald Wallace is an excellent player, but we don't have the pieces to trade for him (please no more giving up draft picks). Who would you give up that charlotte would agree to? He's too small to body up any true bigs, and still can't shoot consistently.

Randolph is a shot blocker with plenty of upside, so I say give him some time to see how he fits in.

Personally, I'd prefer starting Amare at PF and having a true center to help erase all the defensive mistakes.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I would totally up for a trade with Atlanta for Josh Smith. I commented on this in prior threads but again, would make our 5 and 4 extremely athletic!

I like Wallace, but not on this team. He gets hurt way too mcuh and his jumper is none existant on most nights. You gotta be able to shoot on this team..

JayJ44

Starter
Well, keep in mind that the whole Melo/CP3 idea is just chatter from fans and the media. The management is clearly committed to winning this season. But I completely agree with the sentiment. It would be silly to just wait around for Melo/CP3.

As for Gerald Wallace, he's a very talented, hard working player. But do we really need another forward? We have Gallo, Chandler, Walker, Azabuike, Amare, Randolph. Plus, Wallace has long history of injuries. In addition, I don't like the idea of Amare playing center on a consistent basis. It would take a toll on his body to match up with centers night in, night out. I think he would be more effective dominating PF's, rather than trying to match up against centers.

Let's see what our young guys can do before we go and trade for a guy like Wallace.

Blumatic

Rotation player
B/c it is all about winning championships. And the opportunity is there for us. Walsh is smart. He know the roster as it stand wont win. Especially with LBJ Wade and Bosh, we cant get past them once they build a solid roster.

We are now ready to make the playoffs and we have the ability to upgrade our roster so much faster. Walsh put us in the best position possible. 5 time allstar in STAT. Solid pg in Felton, Randolph is great talent, defenders in Turiaf (interior) Kelena (perimiter). Gallo is still here, Wilson here, Tony here. Curry's huge contract expires and we have tradeable assets. We can good this year like Chicago was the past 2 years. Make the playoffs and have an epic first round series. And we have the ability get Melo and CP3.

We have to think championship and be competitive right now. Walsh gave us the ability to do both. I guess it took a New Yorker to figure this out.

CoolClyde

B/c it is all about winning championships. And the opportunity is there for us. Walsh is smart. He know the roster as it stand wont win. Especially with LBJ Wade and Bosh, we cant get past them once they build a solid roster.

We are now ready to make the playoffs and we have the ability to upgrade our roster so much faster. Walsh put us in the best position possible. 5 time allstar in STAT. Solid pg in Felton, Randolph is great talent, defenders in Turiaf (interior) Kelena (perimiter). Gallo is still here, Wilson here, Tony here. Curry's huge contract expires and we have tradeable assets. We can good this year like Chicago was the past 2 years. Make the playoffs and have an epic first round series. And we have the ability get Melo and CP3.

We have to think championship and be competitive right now. Walsh gave us the ability to do both. I guess it took a New Yorker to figure this out.
:agreed::gony::agreed:

smokes

Huge Member
Except we won't be doing anything like the same thing. We don't need to tank because we have a decent roster in place. We don't need to trade away assets like young players or picks to create cap space. We aren't sacrificing anything by going after Melo in 2011.

There's only one potential sacrifice, and that could be getting something of value for Curry's expiring contract. However if there is a chance of trading him for a very useful player I'm sure management will weigh up those options and not just dismiss them in the blind hope of getting Melo next year.

So much negativity...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The issue I have is waiting on a player or multiple players to sign... The risk is not worth it because the team ends up passing on many opportunities for a looooooooong shot! I hope Walsh is smart enough, this time around, to make some moves that could greatly help this team even if it takes us out of the Melo sweepstakes... I hope Melo resigns with Denver if that is his plan all along and doesn't use this Knicks thing to hold Denver hostage for more money. I know he has local ties but through out history athletes have used NY teams to raise their value and end up signing elseware. We've seen it with the Yankees time and time again... Just the mention that the Yankees are interested and that players asking value sky rockets.. Time for NY to be smart and say.. You want to come here than YOU can knock on OUR door..... The NY free ride to the money store at our expense stops here and now!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Passing on opportunities?

What opportunities are we passing on? Not getting an extra 6 million dollar/year player? Not trading for a terrible contract like Gilbert Arenas?

Walsh's plan to get LeBron to New York might not have worked, but he left us in an excellent position to compete now and STILL have the room to sign a free agent. There's no reason for us to sign players just for the hell of it.

We want to build a CHAMPIONSHIP team, not just field the best team we can on the floor.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Passing on opportunities?

What opportunities are we passing on? Not getting an extra 6 million dollar/year player? Not trading for a terrible contract like Gilbert Arenas?

Walsh's plan to get LeBron to New York might not have worked, but he left us in an excellent position to compete now and STILL have the room to sign a free agent. There's no reason for us to sign players just for the hell of it.

We want to build a CHAMPIONSHIP team, not just field the best team we can on the floor.

Well, waiting for James lost us Joe Johnson and from what was said he would have taken a few dollars less to play for NY and he was willing to wait but Atlanta threatened to pull the deal off the table. So, what I meant was; I hope that Walsh will make a trade or sign a player that will help this team even if it will interfear with our ability to sing Melo IF he becomes a free agent and IF he doesn't resign with Denver or IF he doesn't go to a different team...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Lost us Joe Johnson?

Joe Johnson would not have led us to a championship.

And the rumors about him willing to take less money were squashed when the Hawks offered him the full maximum.

After Rudy Gay got the maximum, there was no way Johnson was going to settle for anything less - we would've had to offer him the max, and he's not a max player.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Lost us Joe Johnson?

Joe Johnson would not have led us to a championship.

And the rumors about him willing to take less money were squashed when the Hawks offered him the full maximum.

After Rudy Gay got the maximum, there was no way Johnson was going to settle for anything less - we would've had to offer him the max, and he's not a max player.

Well, that's not what was being reported and I believe he would have settled for near max to play with Amare and Mike D again. Besides, Atlanta offered him the max months ago and he didn't take it so if it was all about money why didn't he just resign with Atlanta when they offered him the max at the beginning of the season???? At least with JJ, we would of had a 2/3 player that can handle the ball and would have elevated everyone's game. He could hit an outside shot and he could create his own... I agree he is not a max player but he would have been the second best player on this roster...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Joe Johnson sucks. THEY MOST OVER RATED FREE AGENT this summer. $120 mil for a choke performance.

I will agree that he is not worth the max but I do not agree with your statement above. You know, Johnson was a top player in this league! While he is not a super star, he is a star and he is an asset... But this is a dead issue since he is in Atlanta and we have moved on. I just hope if an opportunity comes up, Walsh will make a move and not once again wait around just to come up short again.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Walsh is not going to make a signing just because he can.

It's the same reason why he's not going to trade for Gilbert Arenas. It ruins our team's future.

That's the same reason why he didn't sign Joe Johnson to a max deal. He probably could've gotten him for the max.

And there was SPECULATION that Joe Johnson was going to take less money - that got shattered after Atlanta offered him the MAXIMUM.

He probably would've taken the maximum from us (which is probably what reports meant when they said that he'd take less money from a big market).

But he wasn't worth the max. Period. The POSSIBILITY of being able to sign LeBron James is WAY more valuable than the contributions a 35 year old Joe Johnson is going to bring to the Knicks.

You claim Johnson was a top player in this league - that's total bull. When push came to shove, he CHOKED in the playoffs and failed MISERABLY - and that's when he already had two great players in Horford and Smith on his team!