Any Concerns about Amar'e's lack of rebounding and defense?

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I have some major concerns to be honest. Particularly his lack of rebounding, which is due to lack of effort, really concerns me.

I think we will be out-rebounded in many of our games. I am sure some others can help out. I know Amar'e, from time to time, has some big rebounding games, like 16-18, but he also has 3 rebounding games as well. Someone that strong, quick and athletic should never have only 3 rebounds in one game.

GeeboBXNY

Benchwarmer
I am also concerned. I can't understand how a guy with that much athleticism is such a lackluster rebounder and defender. Randolph and Turiaf are going to have to pitch in a ton or were going to be in big trouble on the glass, and rebounding and defense wins games.

Big C

Benchwarmer
I'm not worried about it because with Chandler playing the 2 he can get 6-7 rebounds. Danilo can get the same numbers. Then you figure the Knicks will have Randolph and Turiaf who are rebounding machines. If Amar'e can pulls down 9 rebounds the Knicks will be fine. Keep in mind it's hard to rebound when half of the Suns shots are going in. Not to mention they shoot a lot of three which lead to long rebounds.

mafra

Legend
I have ZERO concerns.

This is exactly why we brought in Turiaf & Mozgov. Two big bruising types. Let them rebound. Turiaf and Randolph are adept at blocking shots.

So, while we lose certain things when we replace Lee with Amar'e, we have to see the big picture... And that is this:

Our new, and much improved, PF + C tandem is stronger than our previous duo.

Who played Center next to Lee?

Amar'e + Randolph/Turiaf/Mozgov is ten times stronger, and more versatile, than Lee + Jeffries were.

Like a GSW writer said, Lee's best game last year was against them.... Had like 37 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists.... And the Knicks still lost, and GSW played without Ellis, Azubuike, Radmanovic, Randolph, Wright, Biedrins. Actually, the Knicks trailed by like 15 the entire game.

Not to rag on Lee, but he's not the player Amar'e is.

Kiyaman

Legend
There should be alot of concern about Amare performance in a half-court setting Eastern Conference.
How dependable is Amare in a Halfcourt offense wanting the ball in the 4th quarter?

The most important concern is Amare & Dantoni relationship that is good one game and bad the next game.

The Knicks shouldve resigned "ambidextrous" David Lee the moment they signed Amare, so the two frontcourt Bigmen wouldve gave us a 50% advantage vs all 82 game oponents.
The three players we got for David Lee will not give Amare the big advantages he would have vs oponents with David Lee as his teammate.
We all know what David Lee brings consistently with or without another bigman in the lineup with him.

mafra

Legend
There should be alot of concern about Amare performance in a half-court setting Eastern Conference.
How dependable is Amare in a Halfcourt offense wanting the ball in the 4th quarter?

The most important concern is Amare & Dantoni relationship that is good one game and bad the next game.

The Knicks shouldve resigned "ambidextrous" David Lee the moment they signed Amare, so the two frontcourt Bigmen wouldve gave us a 50% advantage vs all 82 game oponents.
The three players we got for David Lee will not give Amare the big advantages he would have vs oponents with David Lee as his teammate.
We all know what David Lee brings consistently with or without another bigman in the lineup with him.

I have to disagree. David Lee is 6"9' and STAT is 6"10' and neither are known for their post defense. Lee is actually rated as one of NBA"s worst one-on-one defensive player in the post.

The plan is to have a PF/C duo that compliment each other. Have a vision how that unit should work. Mike D's system is designed to get offense... to score points.... We all complain about the lack of defense.... This is Walsh balancing the team.

I would prefer Azubuile, Turiaf, Randolph & Mozgov to David Lee.

This unit is cheaper and younger and more versatile.

1- For all we know, Randolph-Amar'e duo would be more lethal as an offensive 1-2 punch.

2- We get 2 tough, hard-nosed centers to do the dirty work.

3- We also get a shooting guard.

This is the types of deals NY used to be on the other end of; trading away young players, cheap players, role players with reasonable contracts for an older player whom we overpay for.

LeFlume

All Star
No concern what so ever. Walsh/D'Antoni diden't sign Amare for his defensive skills. They signed him to be a beast on the offensive end.

wnyknicksfan

Benchwarmer
I'm not worried at all since west coast is prodominant down low the east is weaker no team in the east has a solid power forward and center the east is strong at the small forward that is where the west lacks we need a true shooting guard and then were done trade walker and cash for belleneli and were solid if we stay healthy we should do great the heat are making some good moves we should own there ass down low

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I have no concerns whatsoever. STAT is basically the best big man in the Eastern Conference after Dwight Howard.

He's not going to face any challenges on EITHER end, I don't think. At worst he'll have a tough time against someone like Dwight Howard.

At best, he'll show up and completely burn the hell out of everybody by dropping 40 points per game.

mafra

Legend
Lee averaged 20 ppg last year (13 for his career). Stoudemire averaged 23 ppg (21 for his career).

So let's dispell this notion that Lee is the better offensive player.

Stoudemire averages 8.9 rebounds per game for his career and 8.9 last season; Lee 9.6 for his career but 11.7 last year- and has averaged a double-double last 2 years.

Sure, the last 2 years Lee gets about 3 more rebounds per game. Mainly, this comes on the defensive side of the ball. BUT the Knicks have no center and played zero defense. We know Lee is the better rebounder. BUt it all evens out, right?

Stoudemire averages 1.4 blocks per game to Lee's 0.4.

There you go. 3 more points and a block per game extra, while we sacrifice 3 rebounds. I'll take that. Especially when you consider that STAT is more of a natural leader and a go-to force in the 4th quarter!

----------

I love what Randolph told WFAN yesterday about how he was among league leaders in blocks before he got hurt (as was Turiaf). I see he had 51 blocks in like 33 games (only 8 starts), logging a mere 22 minutes per game on average.

Turiaf had 54 blocks in basically 41 games (playing 20 minutes on average per game). He had 168 blocks the year before that

Just do the math folks!

David Lee had 40 blocks. He started 81 games and averaged 37 minutes a game!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
No concern what so ever. Walsh/D'Antoni diden't sign Amare for his defensive skills. They signed him to be a beast on the offensive end.

? I really don't know how you can whimsically say that? High octane offense wins games in the regular season. Shutdown defence/defensive cohesion wins titles. It's an old aphorism for a reason!

It's definitely a concern for the Knicks IF Stat doesn't bring it on defence. Whether or not he does remains to be seen.

He has all the tools. If he's matured and is prepared to take the lead role on the Knicks (like the D'Antoni boys say he has/is) then we could see him unleash defensively. I'd love to see it.

jimkcchief88

All Star

What??? Its the KNICKS??? Why would we want to have 2 athletic All-Stars in our frontcourt to go up against a half-court oriented East???? Makes too much damn sense!!!!

Paul1355

All Star
I have some major concerns to be honest. Particularly his lack of rebounding, which is due to lack of effort, really concerns me.

I think we will be out-rebounded in many of our games. I am sure some others can help out. I know Amar'e, from time to time, has some big rebounding games, like 16-18, but he also has 3 rebounding games as well. Someone that strong, quick and athletic should never have only 3 rebounds in one game.
no because with Mike D he averaged more rebounds and blocks per game than all of his other seasons

KBlack25

Starter
No because even though Amar'e has atrocious defense, we have gotten Randolph, Turiaf, Russian Center, possibly Earl Barron to clog up the middle just fine.

Paul1355

All Star
No because even though Amar'e has atrocious defense, we have gotten Randolph, Turiaf, Russian Center, possibly Earl Barron to clog up the middle just fine.
Amare's D is ten times better than David Lee, so dont even go there with atrocious...Lee was atrocious

KBlack25

Starter
Amare's D is ten times better than David Lee, so dont even go there with atrocious...Lee was atrocious

It's like being the prettiest girl in the trailer park...neither is too great on defense. At times last year it looked like Amar'e wasn't even trying. But for D I bet he plays his heart out.

iJoe

Rotation player
Hahaha the idea of Lee and Amare playing together is atrocious. It would be Matador defense with Amare running up court as soon as the ball was thrown up and Lee just looking to pad his rebound numbers.

At least Amare has more potential to be a defender. If only someone would tell him defense isn't just about blocking the occasional shot. Theres no real glory or numbers to tell the true story of defense, but the true great players knew how to play it.

I'm not worried about it because with Chandler playing the 2 he can get 6-7 rebounds. Danilo can get the same numbers. Then you figure the Knicks will have Randolph and Turiaf who are rebounding machines. If Amar'e can pulls down 9 rebounds the Knicks will be fine. Keep in mind it's hard to rebound when half of the Suns shots are going in. Not to mention they shoot a lot of three which lead to long rebounds.

extremely good point most of the times the suns are on the break,shooting long threes that land at half court,the high percentage pick n roll and the fact that they lead the league in shooting % like every year.for him to have 8 rebounds shows he can do good although he cant get every rebound because he has to get back since there is always lots of long rebounds when talking about the suns.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
? I really don't know how you can whimsically say that? High octane offense wins games in the regular season. Shutdown defence/defensive cohesion wins titles. It's an old aphorism for a reason!

It's definitely a concern for the Knicks IF Stat doesn't bring it on defence. Whether or not he does remains to be seen.

He has all the tools. If he's matured and is prepared to take the lead role on the Knicks (like the D'Antoni boys say he has/is) then we could see him unleash defensively. I'd love to see it.

My sediments exactly. I think he can help throughout the season, but when we face playoff caliber teams with a legitmate post player, Amare will be taken advantage of.

I think it is important that Amare can be a dependent defensive player rather than depend on others for his lack of defense. What makes great defensive teams? Each player playing defense on who they are assigned to as well as play great team defense and help out when necessary. Amare is a liability in that regard.

disagree

I think your wrong, Amare will be fine and as a team I bleive we've gotten a lot bigger and stronger. I think Eddy Currie will contribute we have 3 7 footers that play center 3 6' 10 at pf, Danilo is 6'10 small foward, Wilson is 6'8 sg. That's a big line up more rebounds. and most of these guys a young and still have hop.