Tale of 2 Jordans: J.Jordan>Jordan Hill

New New York

Quiet Storm
I like what I see out of Jerome Jordan so far. I like how physical he likes to play and that he really tries to dunk everything close to the rim.

I like how fluid he looks with the ball, he does not apper to be in a hurry when he catches it. He really tries to block everything going to the hole which is something we desperatley need.

These are the things I expected to see out of Hill. Hill last year looked akward on offense and with a year experience in The NBA still looks the same (caught the Houston Summer League game the other day). He still looks very soft too.

Now this is not to say that J. Jordan goes on to have a better season(his spot on the team isnt even certain), but I remember coming away from the Summer League last year like "is that it from or lottery pick?!" but I defenitley am more encouraged about the 44th pick.

Now, once upon a time Greg Ostrateg dominated Tim Duncan in Summer League, so take Summer League performances with a grain of salt....but the point is I like J. Jordan and I think he could be a servicable backup in year or so.

Blas

Benchwarmer
After watching the first two summer games I am not impressed with JJ.

He is lost on the floor. In the first game Douglas tried to set up JJ for some dishes, but the guy was out of position. In the second game, he played a little better.

On defense, he is way too aggressive and makes some really stupid fouls. I was shocked when he hacked away at DJ Strawberry when DJ was behind the backboard. Very poor foul. He did do a nice job defending the hoop when the laker's got three offensive rebounds, but he needs to learn how to turn around and box out for the defensive rebound and not camp around to swat away shots.

History is completely against this kid from becoming even a roleplayer in the NBA. (Second round center that played in the NCAA have never been serviceable in the NBA: Marc Gasol didn't play in the NCAA and Boozer is a PF NOT a C).

This does not mean he cannot become something special or that I am not rooting for him.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree with everything you said about JJ. Also, we lost a lot of games last season because we failed to defend the paint in the 4th quarter. Having a guy that is motivated to contest every shot is exactly what we need. I think with a little more work he could compliment Amare very well.

JJ also has a quick first step to the basket which is great. I'm praying he goes all out this summer and dedicates himself to playing great basketball because the #5 position is wide open to whoever wants it bad enough.

moneyg

Starter
i see al ot of andrew bynum in this guy but JJ is a better jumpshooter.. it will take time bt could be very serviceable.. ...has not played basketball much of his life...but if he can give us 10 - 12 minutes a game this year and develop... its all u can expect and askk for

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I haven't seen much of Jerome Jordan, but he does seem like he can be an asset within a few years. Hopefully he can be inserted into the rotation after a few weeks/months.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Jerome Jordan is not better than Jordan Hill. It's the summer league. Doesn't mean much at all.

you cant say the exact opposite with your opinion and null the argument by saying its Summer league. either is summer league, or he's not better than J.H.

IMO JJ is better than JH

New New York

Quiet Storm
Jerome Jordan is not better than Jordan Hill. It's the summer league. Doesn't mean much at all.

If Summer League does not matter then what are you basing your opinion on?

Also in my post I mentioned how you take Summer League with a grain of salt, but the fact is only place you can compare the two players play at is in The Summer League

The thing I look for when watching the Summer League is things like timing, positioning and defense; these are universal skills that translate no matter who the compettition might be

the skills that I listed pretty much make up for what coaches call "a feel for the game", from what I have seen (albiet very little).....JJ has a better feel for the game then Jordan Hill.

Two players who impressed me in the Summer League with their feel for the game was Wilson Chandler and David Lee, they were far from finished products but they had shown their upside.

Again JJ could be playind D-League or packing groceries this time next year, but there seems to be more potential in him to produce for us than Jordan Hill

Paul1355

All Star
I like what I see out of Jerome Jordan so far. I like how physical he likes to play and that he really tries to dunk everything close to the rim.

I like how fluid he looks with the ball, he does not apper to be in a hurry when he catches it. He really tries to block everything going to the hole which is something we desperatley need.

These are the things I expected to see out of Hill. Hill last year looked akward on offense and with a year experience in The NBA still looks the same (caught the Houston Summer League game the other day). He still looks very soft too.

Now this is not to say that J. Jordan goes on to have a better season(his spot on the team isnt even certain), but I remember coming away from the Summer League last year like "is that it from or lottery pick?!" but I defenitley am more encouraged about the 44th pick.

Now, once upon a time Greg Ostrateg dominated Tim Duncan in Summer League, so take Summer League performances with a grain of salt....but the point is I like J. Jordan and I think he could be a servicable backup in year or so.
new york new york, i like ur optimism but ur judging him from one summer league basketball game, from what I saw in game 1...he is still very raw and has alot to learn. Game 2 he had more awarness on the court and I think he will get better with more playing time.

Of course if he blocks 5 shots a game the next 3 games then he will be in a battle with Mozgov for the backup center spot...but odds are since we are paying Mozgov 3 mil a year that Jordan(500k) will be the 12th guy on the rotation to just be there in case we need a big man.

Kiyaman

Legend
JJ first game looked awful, I put him down for 3 years in the D.League vs Denver Hunter.
His 2nd game was much better, he was finding his rythm with his teammates.
Still a D.League product.

Houston's Jordan Hill/Paterson/Taylor came out hungry untill that 3rd game in 3 days.

Today games:
Denver is hot with Lawson/Karl/Hunter vs Houston's Taylor/Patterson/Hill
Knicks Douglas/Fields/Jordan vs Toronto Derozan/Dorsey will be the best matchup for Jordan vs Dorsey

mafra

Legend

I threw up in my mouth a little when Stern announced we selected Jordan Hill. Like a punch in the gut there... With Jennings & Lawson on the board still too! BUT, I might have drafted Terrence Williams or Gerald Henderson, so I would have struck out as well.

GETTING ANTHONY RANDOLPH ATONES for the blown lottery pick of '09. Simple as that. Why?

1- We still were able to get a PG. At least a young, productive rotation player in last year's draft (Tony Douglas).

2- We were able to use Hill as an asset to get us cap relief, which saved us six mil this year. That means we were able to sign a Felton, or splurge on the Russian while making that deal with GSW.

3- WE TRADED FOR ANTHONY RANDOLPH. Even if Jordan isn't better than HIll, we know for sure Randolph is. With Randolph on the team, Hill had no use. PLUS, we now have 2 lottery selections from 2008 (Gallo and Randolph), so we didn't harm ourselves in that regard.

BOTTOM LINE: When Donnie Walsh took over 2 years ago, we N-E-E-D-E-D two things from our new brain trust.... Walsh was responsible for doing 2 things and 2 things only:

1- Get us out of cap Hell.
2- Get young players in here quickly to build around.

We set out immediately to turn the roster over. I know we dumped Crawford, and people still bemoan this move, but Al Harrington pretty much gave us the same thing. Sure, the Zach Randolph deal too us out of any playoff running..... But it was necessary.

People forget.... If we had Zach and Crawford, and we finish with 38 wins and make the playoffs.... WE DON'T GET A LOTTERY PICK.

Getting TWO lottery selections was equally as intregal to the 2010 plan, as was getting under the cap. We needed to attract stars, and that meant having cap room to sign a sidekick max to our star max player, and surround them with 2 lottery picks. BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE.

SO, we knew we would have TWO lottery selections come 2010. Two promising young players. This was the floor.... the minimun, no?

I think in Danillo Gallinari and Anthony Randolph Walsh has achieved that mission. These are 2 skilled cats. TALL. Both possess unique skill sets. Not only can both mature into max players themselves eventually, but their games compliment GO-TO stars.

After evaluating the roster, we basically had 2 players from the previous regime worth anything: Wilson Chandler & David Lee.

Lee averages 13 points per game for his career. He leaped ahead last season to 20 ppg. Was this the system? Coaching? Our just grit and hard work? Whatever it is.... We turned Lee into 3 role players (one potential star). Lee could have left for nothing.... Look what we got for him?

SO, 2 years later.... Walsh has brought in not just 2 young, promising players... BUt more:

GALLO
RANDOLPH
DOUGLAS
MOZGOV
JORDAN
FIELDS
RAUTINS

Jordan and Rautins are projects. I'm hesitant to even inlcude Rautins. But we know he can shoot. With that NBA-ready skill, he has some worth. But, as we saw with Lee, this kid is a worker-grinder so I expect him to give it 120%.

I believe the other 6 will play roles here for the next 3-5 years. Fields might even become a starter himself. Same with Mozgov. Who knows.

But, draft or whatnot, Walsh brought in a bunch of young players. CHECK!

Got under cap and signed a star (STAT). CHECK.

Still have room for a max in 2011 & another in 2012.

Good job!

Blas

Benchwarmer
Game 3, Jordan had a pretty bad performance. I have a feeling he could end up in the D-league if this continues =/.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
jordan will take awhile it looks like... he will back up at sf imho with the russian backing up at center... yep the knickerbockers are way into the rebuild

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I threw up in my mouth a little when Stern announced we selected Jordan Hill. Like a punch in the gut there... With Jennings & Lawson on the board still too! BUT, I might have drafted Terrence Williams or Gerald Henderson, so I would have struck out as well.

GETTING ANTHONY RANDOLPH ATONES for the blown lottery pick of '09. Simple as that. Why?

1- We still were able to get a PG. At least a young, productive rotation player in last year's draft (Tony Douglas).

2- We were able to use Hill as an asset to get us cap relief, which saved us six mil this year. That means we were able to sign a Felton, or splurge on the Russian while making that deal with GSW.

3- WE TRADED FOR ANTHONY RANDOLPH. Even if Jordan isn't better than HIll, we know for sure Randolph is. With Randolph on the team, Hill had no use. PLUS, we now have 2 lottery selections from 2008 (Gallo and Randolph), so we didn't harm ourselves in that regard.

BOTTOM LINE: When Donnie Walsh took over 2 years ago, we N-E-E-D-E-D two things from our new brain trust.... Walsh was responsible for doing 2 things and 2 things only:

1- Get us out of cap Hell.
2- Get young players in here quickly to build around.

We set out immediately to turn the roster over. I know we dumped Crawford, and people still bemoan this move, but Al Harrington pretty much gave us the same thing. Sure, the Zach Randolph deal too us out of any playoff running..... But it was necessary.

People forget.... If we had Zach and Crawford, and we finish with 38 wins and make the playoffs.... WE DON'T GET A LOTTERY PICK.

Getting TWO lottery selections was equally as intregal to the 2010 plan, as was getting under the cap. We needed to attract stars, and that meant having cap room to sign a sidekick max to our star max player, and surround them with 2 lottery picks. BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE.

SO, we knew we would have TWO lottery selections come 2010. Two promising young players. This was the floor.... the minimun, no?

I think in Danillo Gallinari and Anthony Randolph Walsh has achieved that mission. These are 2 skilled cats. TALL. Both possess unique skill sets. Not only can both mature into max players themselves eventually, but their games compliment GO-TO stars.

After evaluating the roster, we basically had 2 players from the previous regime worth anything: Wilson Chandler & David Lee.

Lee averages 13 points per game for his career. He leaped ahead last season to 20 ppg. Was this the system? Coaching? Our just grit and hard work? Whatever it is.... We turned Lee into 3 role players (one potential star). Lee could have left for nothing.... Look what we got for him?

SO, 2 years later.... Walsh has brought in not just 2 young, promising players... BUt more:

GALLO
RANDOLPH
DOUGLAS
MOZGOV
JORDAN
FIELDS
RAUTINS

Jordan and Rautins are projects. I'm hesitant to even inlcude Rautins. But we know he can shoot. With that NBA-ready skill, he has some worth. But, as we saw with Lee, this kid is a worker-grinder so I expect him to give it 120%.

I believe the other 6 will play roles here for the next 3-5 years. Fields might even become a starter himself. Same with Mozgov. Who knows.

But, draft or whatnot, Walsh brought in a bunch of young players. CHECK!

Got under cap and signed a star (STAT). CHECK.

Still have room for a max in 2011 & another in 2012.

Good job!

Fantastic post. The most complete and accurate summing up on the brilliant job that Donnie has done. Some people on this forum still malign him but to me Donnie has done brilliantly.

Donie did exactly what he said he would do when he took over a couple of years ago. He deserves a pay rise.