What does Toney Douglas need to improve on the most?

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
TD is my current favorite Knick because I like his style of play. His defense is outstanding and tight but at times he gambles too much.
The one aspect of his game that needs the most improvement would be his penetration and finishing at the basket.

His summer league performance depicted his weakness in that department. He rarely drives in the first place even when the lane is open. This concerns me because it shows his lack of court vision and basketball IQ. In D'antoni's system, he requires TD to drive at times so he can ultimately create for others. But during his summer league games he's been making terrible decisions in finishing or kicking it out. I've seen many times where he has an open shot he can take but turns it down for a three at the wing.

I like his demeanor and attitude. He seems like a great guy to hang out with, pause. But if he really wants to get to the next level which we want him to, he needs to be more regressive at the basket. He has the opportunities to because players are playing tighter on him by respecting his three point shot.

This is my perspective and now I'm asking you guys, what do you think he needs the most improvement on?

Paul1355

All Star
TD is my current favorite Knick because I like his style of play. His defense is outstanding and tight but at times he gambles too much.
The one aspect of his game that needs the most improvement would be his penetration and finishing at the basket.

His summer league performance depicted his weakness in that department. He rarely drives in the first place even when the lane is open. This concerns me because it shows his lack of court vision and basketball IQ. In D'antoni's system, he requires TD to drive at times so he can ultimately create for others. But during his summer league games he's been making terrible decisions in finishing or kicking it out. I've seen many times where he has an open shot he can take but turns it down for a three at the wing.

I like his demeanor and attitude. He seems like a great guy to hang out with, pause. But if he really wants to get to the next level which we want him to, he needs to be more regressive at the basket. He has the opportunities to because players are playing tighter on him by respecting his three point shot.

This is my perspective and now I'm asking you guys, what do you think he needs the most improvement on?
his court vision....too many times on fast breaks he never passes to the open man and always misses guys that cut to the basket or are open in the post....he doesnt have the awareness of a true PG...hopefully he can develop it

Scribbles

Rotation player
Gambles too much?

Really? I think he's too reserved.

He's gotta be more decisive and be a straight shooter (not a jumpshooter). He's just gotta go for it more often. Whether that means making the driving pass, taking the jumpshot, or driving right at the defender.

I feel like he plays it safe too often. If you want to be a winner in NY, you've gotta go for it and either bask in the glory or take the wound with you elsewhere.

He's gonna be a very solid backup but I just don't see him as a starter for some reason.

He's a trooper though for sure. He's got a NY mentality.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
On offense, he needs to combine being a scoring threat and a play making threat. He chooses 'play maker' or 'scorer' in each offensive set. He doesn't penetrate enough or keep his dribble alive when he has to.

His reliable 3 point shot should open up his penetration and passing games.

Defensively, he has to stop reaching in from behind his player to try and tap the ball to the team's advantage. Otherwise solid. Plays the passing lane very well, keeps close to his man, positions well for loose rebounds.

He won't be a starter for a while. I like the comparison to Billups who came in as a combo guard.

His shooting will open his game for him on offense. I'd love to see that happen.

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
Gambles too much?

Really? I think he's too reserved.

He's gotta be more decisive and be a straight shooter (not a jumpshooter). He's just gotta go for it more often. Whether that means making the driving pass, taking the jumpshot, or driving right at the defender.

I feel like he plays it safe too often. If you want to be a winner in NY, you've gotta go for it and either bask in the glory or take the wound with you elsewhere.

He's gonna be a very solid backup but I just don't see him as a starter for some reason.

He's a trooper though for sure. He's got a NY mentality.

Nice insight but when I was saying he gambles too much I was talking about the defensive end where he reaches in too much and tries to follow passes too much.

moneyg

Starter
mid range game by far....he need to be able to stop and pop...keeping defense honest..and createw passes off of it....