Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What does Toney Douglas need to improve on the most?

  1. #1
    Member DieHardPassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default What does Toney Douglas need to improve on the most?

    TD is my current favorite Knick because I like his style of play. His defense is outstanding and tight but at times he gambles too much.
    The one aspect of his game that needs the most improvement would be his penetration and finishing at the basket.

    His summer league performance depicted his weakness in that department. He rarely drives in the first place even when the lane is open. This concerns me because it shows his lack of court vision and basketball IQ. In D'antoni's system, he requires TD to drive at times so he can ultimately create for others. But during his summer league games he's been making terrible decisions in finishing or kicking it out. I've seen many times where he has an open shot he can take but turns it down for a three at the wing.

    I like his demeanor and attitude. He seems like a great guy to hang out with, pause. But if he really wants to get to the next level which we want him to, he needs to be more regressive at the basket. He has the opportunities to because players are playing tighter on him by respecting his three point shot.

    This is my perspective and now I'm asking you guys, what do you think he needs the most improvement on?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    He's gotta improve his PG skills. Right now he plays like an undersized SG.

  3. #3
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by DieHardPassion
    TD is my current favorite Knick because I like his style of play. His defense is outstanding and tight but at times he gambles too much.
    The one aspect of his game that needs the most improvement would be his penetration and finishing at the basket.

    His summer league performance depicted his weakness in that department. He rarely drives in the first place even when the lane is open. This concerns me because it shows his lack of court vision and basketball IQ. In D'antoni's system, he requires TD to drive at times so he can ultimately create for others. But during his summer league games he's been making terrible decisions in finishing or kicking it out. I've seen many times where he has an open shot he can take but turns it down for a three at the wing.

    I like his demeanor and attitude. He seems like a great guy to hang out with, pause. But if he really wants to get to the next level which we want him to, he needs to be more regressive at the basket. He has the opportunities to because players are playing tighter on him by respecting his three point shot.

    This is my perspective and now I'm asking you guys, what do you think he needs the most improvement on?
    his court vision....too many times on fast breaks he never passes to the open man and always misses guys that cut to the basket or are open in the post....he doesnt have the awareness of a true PG...hopefully he can develop it

  4. #4
    Superstar MSGhobo247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MSG
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I want him to gain some weight.... then he'll go to the basket more.

  5. #5
    Superstar Scribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Gambles too much?

    Really? I think he's too reserved.

    He's gotta be more decisive and be a straight shooter (not a jumpshooter). He's just gotta go for it more often. Whether that means making the driving pass, taking the jumpshot, or driving right at the defender.

    I feel like he plays it safe too often. If you want to be a winner in NY, you've gotta go for it and either bask in the glory or take the wound with you elsewhere.

    He's gonna be a very solid backup but I just don't see him as a starter for some reason.

    He's a trooper though for sure. He's got a NY mentality.

  6. #6
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    On offense, he needs to combine being a scoring threat and a play making threat. He chooses 'play maker' or 'scorer' in each offensive set. He doesn't penetrate enough or keep his dribble alive when he has to.

    His reliable 3 point shot should open up his penetration and passing games.

    Defensively, he has to stop reaching in from behind his player to try and tap the ball to the team's advantage. Otherwise solid. Plays the passing lane very well, keeps close to his man, positions well for loose rebounds.

    He won't be a starter for a while. I like the comparison to Billups who came in as a combo guard.

    His shooting will open his game for him on offense. I'd love to see that happen.

  7. #7
    Member DieHardPassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Scribbles
    Gambles too much?

    Really? I think he's too reserved.

    He's gotta be more decisive and be a straight shooter (not a jumpshooter). He's just gotta go for it more often. Whether that means making the driving pass, taking the jumpshot, or driving right at the defender.

    I feel like he plays it safe too often. If you want to be a winner in NY, you've gotta go for it and either bask in the glory or take the wound with you elsewhere.

    He's gonna be a very solid backup but I just don't see him as a starter for some reason.

    He's a trooper though for sure. He's got a NY mentality.
    Nice insight but when I was saying he gambles too much I was talking about the defensive end where he reaches in too much and tries to follow passes too much.

  8. #8
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    He's gotta improve his PG skills. Right now he plays like an undersized SG.
    sounds good

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hes gonna need to keep practicing those free throws.. can have him missing as many as he did in the game the other day.. but i think he knows that judging by this interview with him.. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    mid range game by far....he need to be able to stop and pop...keeping defense honest..and createw passes off of it....

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    His offensive awareness, all other attributes should increase with experience.

Similar Threads

  1. Come up with a nickname for Toney Douglas
    By StreetDreams21 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Jul 21, 2010, 10:38
  2. Toney Douglas... our diamond in the rough?
    By Red in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 31, 2010, 11:07
  3. Toney Douglas Analysis breakdown
    By Big C in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 06, 2010, 01:39
  4. Toney Douglas Mix- 2
    By Big C in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct 25, 2009, 13:37
  5. Toney Douglas highlights vs Nets
    By Big C in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct 22, 2009, 19:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •