Dwyane Wade needs to choose his words more wisely

jzero29

Rotation player
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/18/heat-supporting-cast-has-become-better-than-expected/

"If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the World Trade (Center) is coming down again."

I personally think Dwayne Wade is a complete moron after that comparison.
That is a misquote, he didn't say that. If you see the video, he was asked about being compared to the 72win bulls team. He said, "there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games."
If you read this, he only say themedia will it to the world trade center. He does say that losing a couple games and it seem like things are falling apart, crashing down, and the media will blow it out of proportion acting like it is a real catastrophe. He even went on to say it's only a couple basketball games. trivializing a couple loses as just a basketball game.
No harm(by him), no harm intended by him...The harm comes from someone in the media, whomisquoted and blew it out of proportion, the same thing he was saying they tend to do. Make it seem like a giant catastrophe, when it is something actually much less and in this case nothing at all.
that is pretty insulting. I hope he apologizes for that
I aplaud wade for apologizing for something he didn't say, it shows class. He was def taken out of context he properly associated losing, with it's just a couple games, in the original quote. Just used the world trade center as an example of a gigantic life altering catastophe that the world trade center attacks were, that the MEDIA will treat the heat losing as.Which is totally true. Everytime the yanks or lakers lose a couple, the media acts like the world is ending and they are done. He's just mentally preped to deal with that from the media. then he goes on to say, that losing a couple games is not a huge catastrophe, it's just basketball. As a life time new yorker and former NYPD who worked that day and a Knick fan, I was not offended one bit. When he said it, I thought it maybe unwise choice of words, because simple people and the media will not understand what he meant. in my opinion he only compare the world trade center to the world crashing down, aka a gigantic catastrophe that it was.
We all know the media blows things out of proportion, and here is another case of that.
Yea, my respect towards him just dropped drastically. He's a piece of shit for that comment.

Hes sorta right...the media keeps gettin worse with time. 'Scust @ how much media attention Miami got, i was watchin espn alot hopin to see more about the knicks. Those lames over at espn need to eat a dikk and watch tv

Yes he is but using WTC as an example is just retarded. Not only did all the FA's diss New York with their decision but it's totally egotistical and brainless to compare the media attention surrounding sports players against the media attention of one of the worst disasters ever.

And I'm not even an American or a New Yorker so 9/11 is a lot further from home to me.
He wasn't commenting about media attention, he was commenting about media context. This whole situation being a great example. There is a difference between attention and context. Attention being the amount of coverage and context is how the media portrays the message/story/news that they are reporting on. He did not mean that if the heat evern lose in a row the world over will here about it for years to come like the world trade center. I'm sure he is well aware the heat losing 3 games in a row, won't make the world wide history books.
he only said the media will portray it as a huge disaster, which it isn't it's just basketball.

Apparently he didn't really mean it in the way we thought.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-makes-incredibly-unfortunate-911-comment.php

Still, though, it was pretty distasteful.
It was taken out of full context. Using the world trade center as a catastrophe, maybe poor judgement, only because of it's ability to be spun out of context. I am glad he referenced the world trade center as a life altering/ending disaster. There is a saying engraved in all NY'ers and people everywhere that day. Never forget. It is unfortunate that people will not be afraid to mention the world trade center for fear of being taken out of context. It should be talked about and should not be forgoten. Dwayne wade has not forgotten, and as much as I want to hate the guy for spurning the knicks, he hasn't forgoten. Out of all the disaters in the world, he remembers the world trade center as the worst thing in the world. and rightfully so, it was pretty bad.

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
world trade center a terrible attack on american soil, fact.

But the media twisting and turning this, getting it all blown out of propetion. The media has to make news and generate a buzz and contriversey. They should be ashamed. This is not the only time these things have happen(the media). They intentionally look for a way to use a harmless quote and twist it out. Then an oversensitive public runs with it. Not saying the WTC isn't a sensitive subject, but in this case, it was used properly to refer to a great tradgedy, which basketball is not. It 1, makes people remember the WTC and it's victims and family involved, NEVER FORGET, it raises conciousness of it. Not that people forget, but forinstance, I attend a fund raiser annually for a FF who died on 9/11, the first couple years, companies donated stuff and funded things, people bought raffle tickets that sponsered college funds and funds for the families. now that support has dwindled, but the families are still there. 2, It shows me Dwayne Wade still remembers, to have that incident in his mind as one of the worst catastrophe's in the world...it shows despite his fame he still remembers. Keep in mind he only used it as a giganitc disater.

His only misjudgment is that in using the world trade center as an example of a disaster, he left himself open to the media's ability to twist things and create controversey

Last edited:

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
He's a complete moron and an idiot. He isn't educated and can't speak at all. This guy is a disrespect to the image of the NBA. If someone doesn't tell him to apologize for his stupidity than you have to wonder how the world is today.
Sounds pretty intense but not as intense as someone who used 9 11 as a comparison lol

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
That is a misquote, he didn't say that. If you see the video, he was asked about being compared to the 72win bulls team. He said, "there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games."
If you read this, he only say themedia will it to the world trade center. He does say that losing a couple games and it seem like things are falling apart, crashing down, and the media will blow it out of proportion acting like it is a real catastrophe. He even went on to say it's only a couple basketball games. trivializing a couple loses as just a basketball game.
No harm(by him), no harm intended by him...The harm comes from someone in the media, whomisquoted and blew it out of proportion, the same thing he was saying they tend to do. Make it seem like a giant catastrophe, when it is something actually much less and in this case nothing at all.

I aplaud wade for apologizing for something he didn't say, it shows class. He was def taken out of context he properly associated losing, with it's just a couple games, in the original quote. Just used the world trade center as an example of a gigantic life altering catastophe that the world trade center attacks were, that the MEDIA will treat the heat losing as.Which is totally true. Everytime the yanks or lakers lose a couple, the media acts like the world is ending and they are done. He's just mentally preped to deal with that from the media. then he goes on to say, that losing a couple games is not a huge catastrophe, it's just basketball. As a life time new yorker and former NYPD who worked that day and a Knick fan, I was not offended one bit. When he said it, I thought it maybe unwise choice of words, because simple people and the media will not understand what he meant. in my opinion he only compare the world trade center to the world crashing down, aka a gigantic catastrophe that it was.
We all know the media blows things out of proportion, and here is another case of that.

He wasn't commenting about media attention, he was commenting about media context. This whole situation being a great example. There is a difference between attention and context. Attention being the amount of coverage and context is how the media portrays the message/story/news that they are reporting on. He did not mean that if the heat evern lose in a row the world over will here about it for years to come like the world trade center. I'm sure he is well aware the heat losing 3 games in a row, won't make the world wide history books.
he only said the media will portray it as a huge disaster, which it isn't it's just basketball.

It was taken out of full context. Using the world trade center as a catastrophe, maybe poor judgement, only because of it's ability to be spun out of context. I am glad he referenced the world trade center as a life altering/ending disaster. There is a saying engraved in all NY'ers and people everywhere that day. Never forget. It is unfortunate that people will not be afraid to mention the world trade center for fear of being taken out of context. It should be talked about and should not be forgoten. Dwayne wade has not forgotten, and as much as I want to hate the guy for spurning the knicks, he hasn't forgoten. Out of all the disaters in the world, he remembers the world trade center as the worst thing in the world. and rightfully so, it was pretty bad.

Great post..

jzero29

Rotation player
He's a complete moron and an idiot. He isn't educated and can't speak at all. This guy is a disrespect to the image of the NBA. If someone doesn't tell him to apologize for his stupidity than you have to wonder how the world is today.
Sounds pretty intense but not as intense as someone who used 9 11 as a comparison lol
he didn't compare it to that, if you read whole quote. also he already apologized, before your post, for something he didn't say.
you are just another victim of media spin. The media made it seem that way, as a way to create a buzz, stir up contriversy make head lines. Because if the reported accurrately would have just said, dwayne wade say losing is just basketball, not 9/11. but that's not news worthy. So some a-hole in a press room says, how can we spin this, whats our angle, he said world trade center how can we use this....hmmm. Then some jerk off, say lets twist his words, and say he compared it to 9/11 now thats a story, lets go with it. The media is the one that used the image of 9/11 to get us angry create controversy, demand an apology, which he'll release to the press, and we'll all buy the paper or watch the show that reports it.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
he didn't compare it to that, if you read whole quote. also he already apologized, before your post, for something he didn't say.
you are just another victim of media spin. The media made it seem that way, as a way to create a buzz, stir up contriversy make head lines. Because if the reported accurrately would have just said, dwayne wade say losing is just basketball, not 9/11. but that's not news worthy. So some a-hole in a press room says, how can we spin this, whats our angle, he said world trade center how can we use this....hmmm. Then some jerk off, say lets twist his words, and say he compared it to 9/11 now thats a story, lets go with it. The media is the one that used the image of 9/11 to get us angry create controversy, demand an apology, which he'll release to the press, and we'll all buy the paper or watch the show that reports it.

I wholeheartedly agree that it was taken out of context. We live in a PC world and that is how people react.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Its both.

He shouldn't have said it and people took it out of context.

There is nothing over-sensitive about being effected by Wade mentioning the WTC. 9/11 is a huge deal. If it isn't for you, then fine; however, it is for most of the country.

Personally, I don't care what Wade said, but whenever WTC is brought up I still remember that day and feel very sad.